Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Babies as fashion accessories

Posted by Leaning toward childfree 
Leaning toward childfree
November 19, 2005
Keep in mind that the only people who can afford babies as fashion accessories are also the only people who can afford not to raise them. They hire nannies for that, and then march their kids out for a photo-op.

I remember seeing a special on Whitney Houston a decade ago. I remember it so well because she was holding Bobbi, her baby, in her lap and when Bobbi started to cry, she practically FLUNG the poor baby at the poor nanny. I felt so bad for the kid.

This is a bad, bad trend. Basically, babies are to some people what small dogs are to Paris Hilton.
Morganmad
November 19, 2005
This is a disturbing trend and it will undoubtedly have tragic consequences some day. While I'm sure there are affluent and even famous women who wanted children for more substantial reasons that as an accessory, I suspect you're right about some. Generally, I feel it's your own business whether you have kids or not but I also feel very strongly that a child is a small human being and deserves to be wanted for itself, not as the latest "in" thing to have. That's horribly unfair to the kid and there will be hell to pay somewhere along the way.

I really miss the days when women eschewed childbearing for exciting and creative pursuits and, when the idea of a child occurred to them, they thought the situation out as well as possible. Women today have so little idea or sense of appreciation for what their elders went through in the fight to achieve some small bit of equality and freedom, especially freedom of choice. Though I understand the number of women not having children is on the rise. There may be a some hope, eh?
November 19, 2005
Did you see Whitney's "little" girl now? She is quite a chubby one. I watched a show where her and Bobby Brown were on a picnic with the kids. Whitney herself is a horrible person. She was at a hotel near where I live and she yelled at a little girl for asking for an autograph (one of my culinary teachers witnessed this as he did his apprenticeship there). Of course, she may have been having a bad day, but to me, it seems like she just has a bad life. She picked a washed up 80's singer for a husband and has a serious drug problem.
sprogless
November 19, 2005
These breeders are evem worse than a typical Moo. The kids aren't the center of the universe- THEY ARE! My SIL is one of them. I can't stand people like that. They don't give a damn about the kids. As soon as the cuteness factor wears off, the kids are ignored and neglected. Then, the nanny takes over, and the selfish breeder has another one. It's no surprise that they're fat, rude, and do poorly in school. Nobody cares. The only time the parent pays them any attention at all is when they do something that could be embarassing for THEM, or their reputations as fashionable, hip supermoms. The kids can take a number- it's all about them.
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.