Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Post 601

Posted by Morganmad 
Morganmad
Post 601
November 19, 2005
I wish they hadn't started that list with someone having babies in her 50s. The next two entries were far more interesting. While it's her business whether to have kids and when, I question the wisdom of her choice. Unless her legal practice becomes quite successful or her kids are brilliant and win scholarships or are stupid and don't want to go to college, or she wins the lottery, this woman will be trying to pay college bills when she's in her 70s. Retirement is obviously not much of an option before she's 80, if she lives that long. I respect her right to make her own choice but it just made me extra grateful for the one I made.
CF 4 Ever
Re: Post 601
November 22, 2005
What's wrong with the kids paying their own way through college?

Morganmad wrote:
"Unless her legal practice becomes quite successful or her kids are brilliant and win scholarships or are stupid and don't want to go to college, or she wins the lottery, this woman will be trying to pay college bills when she's in her 70s."

The ASSumption here is that parents always pay for their sprogs' college. Like no one ever **worked** their way through school. Don't make stupid assumptions. It's amazing how someone so quick to point the ASSumption finger at people has no trouble doing it themselves. I guess THIS topic is okay for some people to vent their opinions, but not others.
sprogless
November 22, 2005
Most parents DO pay for their kids' college educations. You cannot get a student loan independent of your parents until you are 24. Up until then, you are still eligible as a tax deduction, and to be insured on their policy. Agencies like Fannie Mae will not even accept an application without a parent's tax returns on it. That's another reason why so many "older" students don't start college until their mid- twenties.
CF 4 Ever
November 22, 2005
Woa! Another great reason to be CF! Sometimes, I even feel like I was PF (Parent Free) because my parents were not good with money and I worked my way through college. If I had applied for a traditional student loan and included my parents tax returns, I would have been laughed out of the place. Oh, well, I didn't know about the 24-year-old rule. Thanks for the info!
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.