Owned, IVF Does Increase Genetic Risksyawning smiley

Posted by WaterLily 
Owned, IVF Does Increase Genetic Risksyawning smiley
October 26, 2010
http://www.ovarian-cysts-pcos.com/news77.html#sec2
http://www.ovarian-cysts-pcos.com/news77.html#sec2

From article in link:

Genetic Risks of IVF

If you've been unsuccessful in starting a family, your thoughts might have turned to "assisted reproduction". Some common assisted reproduction treatments are "in vitro fertilization" (IVF), intrauterine insemination (IUI) and intracytoplasmic sperm injection (ICSI).

The obvious benefit of assisted reproduction is that you can become pregnant. Millions of other women have done it, so why not you?

But are there any risks? It's always a good idea to understand both the benefits and the risks before you make a major medical or health decision.

The New York Times published an article on February 17, 2009 titled "Picture Emerging on Genetic Risks of IVF". We suggest you read that article, which gives a good overview of possible problems with IVF.

The University of Ottawa recently reviewed 61,569 deliveries. They discovered that the rate of birth defects in women receiving assisted reproduction was 1.55 times the rate for the women who did not use assisted reproduction. The researchers concluded: "There is a significant increased risk of birth defects associated with AHR [assisted reproduction], and the risk is higher in IVF and IUI."

Scientists have also been reported a possible link between IVF and various rare serious disorders such as Beckman-Wiedemann syndrome and Angelman syndrome. It appears that assisted reproduction procedures and technology may be altering the genetic profile of the embryo. In the case of these syndromes, the problems do not become apparent until later.

There are various aspects of assisted reproduction therapy that alter the embryonic environment. These alterations may result in unintended consequences. For example, it's possible the culture medium in the Petri dish in which the embryo is growing may be influencing the embryo's genetic characteristics. More research is needed in this area.

Article from link above must of started a shit storm from the breedersons.

http://www.ovarian-cysts-pcos.com/news78.html#sec3
http://www.ovarian-cysts-pcos.com/news78.html#sec3

Article from link:

Editor Apologizes for IVF Remarks

I apologize for failing to communicate clearly with you in the "Genetic Risks of IVF" article in our last newsletter.

Two women who had had successful pregnancies with IVF (in vitro fertilization) were deeply offended by what I said. The impression I had from their emails was that I was dismissing the value of IVF, I was critical of its cost, and anybody in their right mind should do something else instead.

That is NOT what I intended to convey. What I had tried to say was that there are other things you can try before turning to IVF. Whether you try them or not is of course your very personal choice.

I don't question that IVF has made many thousands of pregnancies possible. Perhaps you are one of those success stories. If so, I applaud your choice to use IVF and you have my sincere best wishes for your wonderful and healthy family.

As for the genetic risks, in my view that is a judgment call between you and your doctor. I was only reporting that this topic was in the news lately.

I have the utmost respect for each of you and would never intentionally be insulting to you.

So they can't give the truth without hurting some poor widde pheelings. :fmbl Duh with bratsd moo with baybeem :gross smug

eye rolling smiley the world 'fail' on flames angry flipping off spanking with a whip on the ass

It just gives to our suspisions of IVF causing retards and autards. Breeders selfishness and narcissism knows no boundaries.

lab mom
Re: Owned, IVF Does Increase Genetic Risksyawning smiley
October 26, 2010
This is fucking RIDICULOUS! I cannot believe that the editor felt the need to write an apology to these cows! Truth hurts, doesn't it? It just proves once again that it's all about the MOO. Who cares if the baby is born with issues, as long as the breeders get their DNA replicas. Mr. T: I pitty tha fools
October 26, 2010
An apology, sheesh. One of us should complain about the apology; I wonder if we'd get an apology to the apology.

This is just more evidence of the problem of IVF. It is already known that IVF increases infertility, by passing on genes related to infertility, thus increasing the numbers of infertile people in subsequent generations. Also, IVF typically happens with older women, whose eggs are more likely to be damaged. No surprises there. Finally, people who get IVF are more likely to have premature babies, who risk a lifetime of medical issues. So if the external fertilization process is also linked to problems, this is just one more medical reason IVF is bad.

There are, of course, also moral reasons why it is moronic.
October 26, 2010
What a wuss the editor is!

- The human gene pool could use a little chlorine
October 26, 2010
It is not the Petri dish material...it is the genetic material that is already defective. There is a reason someone has nine miscarriages. There is a reason some sperm and egg omelets don't hatch. It has nothing to do with the medium of the artificial home in the lab.

I can't believe the author apologized because "some people have successful pregnancies". I mean, some people survive drinking arsenic or setting themselves on fire with little damage but I would not recommend everyone try this.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
From a bottle cap message on a Magic Hat #9 beer: Condoms Prevent Minivans
I want to pick up a bus full of unruly kids and feed them gummi bears and crack, then turn them loose in Hobby Lobby to ransack the place. They will all be wearing T shirts that say "You Could Have Prevented This."
October 26, 2010
Two women who had had successful pregnancies with IVF (in vitro fertilization) were deeply offended by what I said. The impression I had from their emails was that I was dismissing the value of IVF, I was critical of its cost, and anybody in their right mind should do something else instead.

OFFENDED? Are you fucking kidding me? How fucking stupid do you have to be to be offended by absolutely unbiased scientific facts? I could tell that the article had no stance one way or the other, but was merely written to inform readers of the potential risks of IVF, something those stupid moos are clearly too lazy to research themselves.

You know what doesn't come with birth risks? Adoption. People need to get over themselves and their perfect genes. Clearly their genes are shit if they can't reproduce. I feel like these genetic risks are God or nature's subtle way of telling us to stop doing this bullshit.
October 26, 2010
It is not the Petri dish material...it is the genetic material that is already defective. There is a reason someone has nine miscarriages. There is a reason some sperm and egg omelets don't hatch. It has nothing to do with the medium of the artificial home in the lab.

This. They can't just accept that they're losing the race of the survival of the fittest.
Anonymous User
October 26, 2010
My doctor mentioned to me that IVF treatments may cause cancer as well. I was discussing it with her because my FIL pesters me about it. Not that I would EVER do it. But it was interesting that she said that there may be a link so just tell my FIL that. So I asked my gyno about it last time. She said that there probably was no connection between IVF and cancer in the moo somewhere down the line. Interesting....
October 26, 2010
Spineless Editor

Translation: Two mootard readers realize that they spent entirely too much time and money on IVF, and deep down inside they realize that they are selfish for going to such lengths to produce their own DNA replica rather than give a home to one of the millions of unwanted kids in the world. Because of their insecurities they need validation for their choices, and since the article hit a little too close to home they freaked out.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________
"Not every ejaculation deserves a name" - George Carlin
October 26, 2010
Two complaints. Seriously. I'm sure we could make more than two complaints about the apology.
October 26, 2010
I am offended that being peri-menopausal causes unpleasant side effects. I am ALSO offended that I am genetically predisposed to diabetes and heart problems, although I haven't had either one, yet. It certainly is offensive that the closer that I get to 50, the chances that I will suffer from degenerative bone diseases is more likely. I also REALLY get offended when I hear about how older women tend to have wrinkles, thinning hair, and gravitational problems. Therefore, ANY such article which spouts off scientific facts backing these offensive things needs to give a PUBLIC apology to me personally and pull the publication immediately. bouncing and laughing

------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- -------
If YOU are the "exception" to what I am saying, then why does my commentary bother you so much?
I don't hate your kids, I HATE YOU!
October 26, 2010
I am related (albeit somewhat distantly) to an IVF breeder whose breederiffic bullshit affected me negatively, so frankly if she and her shitsack get cancer or some other horrific illness, the world would be better off without them. I admit, I wish they would - not just because of the breeder shit, but this particular cunt caused a lot of strife in my family on purpose basically by being a cunt, so fuck her with a rusty chainsaw.

That said, infertiles are wannabreeders on steroids. They take every stupid fucking bingo, add their own idiocy to it, and then pump up the volume to a deafening, numbing level. I can't stand the absolute self-absorption of these people and how fucking dumb and selfish they are.

If IVF and other artificial breeding nonsense were completely banned, I swear to Dog I'd throw a party.
October 26, 2010
navi8orgirl

I can't believe the author apologized because "some people have successful pregnancies". I mean, some people survive drinking arsenic or setting themselves on fire with little damage but I would not recommend everyone try this.

Exactly, navi8orgirl! There is little wrong with the procedure and the medium. These defective moo bitches don't want to admit that their eggs are wonky or their husbands' sperm fucked up. If IVF was done on mostly women who had no trouble conceiving, there would be few issues.

There is a reason why they couldn't conceive or keep a pregnancy.
October 26, 2010
Oh, I am SO SICK of hearing "deeply offended," especially when it comes from breeders. These selfish sows have NO IDEA what the term even means. Why do they even fucking CARE what anyone thinks about IVF, especially if they've gotten THEIR lab-brats?!

How about CF women being told "you'll get cancer" because you didn't have kids, had an abortion, etc. How about CFs being told in not so many words that our lives don't really count because we didn't crap out kyds? That famblees have priority for time off at work because it's "for da chyldrun?" That we're supposed to pay property tax out the nose for schools because it's "for da chyldrun?" That we're supposed to just put up quietly with screaming, out-of-control spawn in nice restaurants, or else stay home? If anything is "deeply offensive," it's shit like that. angry flipping off

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Shauna's like a gluten-free Jim Jones for dumb, lifeless middle-aged women. I swear, this bitch could set fire to a orphanage and they would applaud her for bringing them light. ~ Miss Hannigan
October 26, 2010
CrabCake, that breederific Dr. Oz was peddling that shit today. All this talk about pregnancy protecting you from that hideous ovarian cancer. Made me sick listening to that bullshit. All of a sudden, we are getting nasty cancers for not sprogging.
October 26, 2010
LoveToLurk
Spineless Editor

Translation: Two mootard readers realize that they spent entirely too much time and money on IVF, and deep down inside they realize that they are selfish for going to such lengths to produce their own DNA replica rather than give a home to one of the millions of unwanted kids in the world. Because of their insecurities they need validation for their choices, and since the article hit a little too close to home they freaked out.

Ding ding ding! LTL hits the nail on the head. I love it when people use the term "deeply offended" to talk about frivolous topics. Get over yourselves, already. There are real moral offenses and hideous situations in the world all around every day. Criticism of IVF ain't one of them.
October 27, 2010
I am deeply offended that you are shitting all over my delusions with scientific fact. Apologize immediately.

Oy.

From a bottle cap message on a Magic Hat #9 beer: Condoms Prevent Minivans
I want to pick up a bus full of unruly kids and feed them gummi bears and crack, then turn them loose in Hobby Lobby to ransack the place. They will all be wearing T shirts that say "You Could Have Prevented This."
October 27, 2010
CFinPenthouse
CrabCake, that breederific Dr. Oz was peddling that shit today. All this talk about pregnancy protecting you from that hideous ovarian cancer. Made me sick listening to that bullshit. All of a sudden, we are getting nasty cancers for not sprogging.

I'd rather have a 2% increased risk of cancer later in life than spend my life being wrinkled, stressed, bald, exhausted, bone depleted, flat broke and half insane raising a bunch of fucking twatnuggets that will rob me blind, get knocked up at 14, move back home in their 30s, steal my shit, or get hooked on drugs.

You know they peddle statistics like "ZOMG increased risk of cancer if you don't sprog!!one1!!" just to scare women into reproducing. angry flipping off

"Studies show that women who do not bear children are 1.2 to 1.7 times more likely to develop breast cancer, and 1.6 times more likely to develop ovarian cancer, according to Cook. Women who choose not to have children should be aware of these increased risks, and make sure their gynecologist monitors them. It's often just a matter of getting routine examinations, she said. The health risks are not nearly as great as those that come with pregnancy, Cook said."
http://www.postandcourier.com/news/2009/jul/24/more_women_are_deciding_not_become_mothe90060/
October 27, 2010
law1204, I am actually shocked at Cook's figures for both breast and ovarian cancer. They seem so much higher than I thought previously. Will have to do some digging and read what the latest research says.

Edit: Wow, Cook's figures seem to be right. Each birth reduces the risk of ovarian cancer by 19%. Ah well. I'll take the chance and not have my life destroyed by some sprog.
October 27, 2010
Of course the breeders who crap out IVF loaves are offended - this article does not validate their choices by telling them what wonderful mommies they are and how many cancers they thwarted by having their little biological omelet stirred and not shaken.

I agree, though, that I think it's more a matter of the stuff in the Petri dish and not the dish itself. People who get fertility treatments can't make loaves the old-fashioned way, and there is almost always a good reason for that (okay, maybe once or twice, someone just wasn't fucking at the right times). A person's body just doesn't up and decide to miscarry an embryo for shits and giggles. Of course, wanna-Moos understand this as a challenge and try and win the battle by proving nature wrong and getting round after expensive round of IVF. They don't give a fuck about whether or not the kid will be healthy, or if there will be multiples (meaning lower birth weight and overall quality of health for each one). All they know is they have some bullshit mission to fulfill so they can prove to nature that a syringe and a Petri dish will win in the end.

Except, of course, when the fetus still doesn't stay put after 20 rounds of IVF Then Moo has to walk away with her tail between her legs and a bill that the rest of us will probably have to pay. A person who really cared wouldn't have kids who they know would have such a higher chance of being born sick, but that's just the thing: Moos and wanna-Moos don't care about anything or anyone but themselves and what they want because they are more special than everyone else. They don't care if they drive their family into the poor house to pay for fertility treatments. They don't care if they neglect their existing children trying to achieve the potential child. They don't care if they spawn a child that is sick, in pain, or whose length and quality of life are drastically decreased due to the mother's body itself. They don't care if all their fetuses and babies die, the sole reason for it being the way in which the things were conceived. It's sickening.

Another fun thing, and I don't know how true it is, but I recall a British study saying that babies conceived via IVF were at a heightened risk of dying at birth than naturally-conceived babies. Also, babies conceived naturally after baking a test-tube loaf were three times more likely to die at birth...so apparently IVF not only affects the bastards it helps to conceive, but also subsequent children. I've also read that IVF loaves are at greater risk of contracting various cancers, and (this is just great) that genetic screening on IVF fetuses allegedly increases the risk of killing the fuckers off.
October 27, 2010
What I really don't understand are the wannamoos who can get knocked up, but then subsequently miscarry every time. When these bitches choose IVF and are then shocked when it falls out prematurely, I wanna slap them silly. WTF did they think was gonna happen??
October 27, 2010
We (and I mean I) laugh at these half-baked loaves coming out malformed, but sadly, these poor bastards had no say in being born to a malfunctioning, self-centered baby-rabid moo-mare. I kinda feel bad for these freak kids.
Anonymous User
October 27, 2010
I read about a woman who had several miscarriages, then her husband was killed in an accident and she remarried. She had a healthy full term baby with the second husband. So maybe some people are reproductively incompatible with each other. Not that this is a justification for IVF or other intervention, but it is something for infertile couples to consider.
October 28, 2010
Ondinette
I read about a woman who had several miscarriages, then her husband was killed in an accident and she remarried. She had a healthy full term baby with the second husband. So maybe some people are reproductively incompatible with each other. Not that this is a justification for IVF or other intervention, but it is something for infertile couples to consider.

Hmmm...interesting. There is such a thing as deformed sperm.

lab mom
November 03, 2010
Just read http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-11673690 which reminded me of this topic.

Fertility problems in parents cannot explain why babies born through IVF treatment face a higher risk of cerebral palsy, say Danish scientists.

The University of Aarhus found babies of couples who struggled to conceive naturally had similar risks compared to those who conceived quickly.

But they found that the risk doubled in babies born with the help of IVF.

Other potential causes, such as the treatment itself, should be investigated, the scientists say.

UK experts said despite the low risk the issue needed to be taken seriously.

The safety of IVF and similar fertility treatments has been closely scrutinised since the first "test-tube baby" in the 1970s.

As the number of IVF babies rises, initial worries about developmental problems have faded, but there remain concerns over higher rates of cerebral palsy.

There are several possible reasons, including the increased risk of complications in multiple pregnancies, which until recently have been much more frequent in IVF pregnancies.

Doctors had also suspected that the underlying reasons for infertility might play a part, but the latest research casts doubt on that.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login