Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Figured Out Why I Don't Like Cashiering

Posted by Anonymous User 
Anonymous User
Figured Out Why I Don't Like Cashiering
June 02, 2011
My last day working as a cashier, I'm on to better things starting next week. I've worked as a cashier at several places over the years, and usually enjoyed the job well enough. I couldn't understand why I wasn't enjoying my current job like I used to. Then it hit me, today, on my last day in that position. It's the kids. Not the customers, but the 'kids' (those 18-19) that the job attracts and that I have to work with. They're not adults. They have no sense of how to conduct themselves in public, let alone a workplace. They're fresh from the incubators of moohs and duhs that have spent the last 18 years telling them that they are spechul and pwecious and the end-all be-all that will simultaneously cure cancer and become President of the United States.

And that's why I didn't like my job. Working with such overgrown four-year-olds. Know-it-alls, Al Bundys, and they are convinced that they are only doing this for the summer but will still be found working for slightly-above-minimum wage in twenty years. And they have no humility.

Case in point: Today a customer asked me if I had a product available in a smaller package, and if not, could I split it up and sell her a partial. As I'm about to tell her that I wouldn't be able to sell the remainder of what she left if she didn't take the whole thing, the 18 y/o about ten feet away from me yells that the product only comes in that size and that's all there is. While he is waiting on his own customer. That's when it hit me. I realized why I didn't like my job, because these little shits are rude, to both me, the customer talking to me (by yelling at her), and his own customer for diverting his attention away from the transaction at hand. And it was also very insulting to me for him to imply that only he (mooh's widdle pwecious) could possibly answer a simple question about product availability.

I thought for awhile that it was only the fetus-15 y/o chylds that really churned my stomach. But no, there's plenty that are legal 'adults' churning it as well. Because all of these breeders are doing such piss-poor jobs turning their little shits into real adults.

And I also realized the reason behind the rash of cash shortages in our cashiers' tills as of late: These little shits are so attention starved that they'll do anything to take their attention away from what is their business to yell and scream to make sure everyone in the building knows that they have the answers to everything, and that is why they hand back the wrong change and cost our company money.
Re: Figured Out Why I Don't Like Cashiering
June 03, 2011
qld
these little shits are rude, to both me, the customer talking to me (by yelling at her), and his own customer for diverting his attention away from the transaction at hand.

Tell me about it! I had to deal with this very same shit last night at the store. Dude (cashier) and Dudette (other employee, just hanging around), early 20s, were having some stupid personal conversation the WHOLE FUCKING TIME I was at the register. Barely looked at me, didn't even say hello or thank you, just took my money - if I remember correctly, he didn't even tell me the amount, I read it on the screen! I was so pissed off. angry smiley

Seriously, WTF?!? And I know for a fact that those fuckers are making A LOT more than minimum wage at that store, so that's not the reason. Those stupid bastards have no manners, no respect and no ethics. If it happens again, I'm getting the manager - but I bet he or she is a fucking overgrown brat too. spanking with a whip on the ass

Anyway: congrats on getting out of there and good luck with your new career, qld! :beer
June 03, 2011
Yeah, congratulations on breaking free of a shitty work environment.:beer I have never understood why retail places tend to take the most RUDE and shitty employees that they have and put them in the position of 1)Taking the customers' money and 2)Being the last contact that their customer has with them on that visit. When I managed a restaurant I always put my BEST people on the register during the busiest times and paid them more than they made while working non customer related jobs within the establishment as an incentive.confused smiley

------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- -------
If YOU are the "exception" to what I am saying, then why does my commentary bother you so much?
I don't hate your kids, I HATE YOU!
Anonymous User
June 03, 2011
I'm at a convenience store last nite. There were about four of these teeny-boppers giggling and holding up the line.The cashier was getting pissed. Finally, the last one gets up to the counter . She has a bottle of root beer that costs 99 cents, a buck seven with tax. She pulls out a pocket full of change and tosses it on the counter. 86 cents!!!. the cashier says ' take your money and get the hell out of my store!!! AMEN!!
Anonymous User
June 03, 2011
Eaglepoke, I wish I had the luxury of telling potential customers to get the hell out! Where I am (I was promoted out of my position, still with the same company), the 'customer' would just find some other employee to listen to them cry and buy their sob story. Or call the manager, or the 800 number, or email customer service...telling one side of the story. Then they'd just wind up getting the root beer for free, plus an invite to come back for another on the house. I rather like the more appropriate "Neither the customer nor the store is always right, but hopefully we can reach an understanding" compared to the bald-faced lie of "The customer is always right," which is the policy that my employer subscribes to.
Childfree Karen NLI
June 04, 2011
eaglepoke56
I'm at a convenience store last nite. There were about four of these teeny-boppers giggling and holding up the line.The cashier was getting pissed. Finally, the last one gets up to the counter . She has a bottle of root beer that costs 99 cents, a buck seven with tax. She pulls out a pocket full of change and tosses it on the counter. 86 cents!!!. the cashier says ' take your money and get the hell out of my store!!! AMEN!!

I saw something almost as refreshing at a convenience store recently. I was in like and there was a guy talking on his cell phone and he was using some foul language and we could all hear it. The clerk, a gray haired gentleman, told him to watch the language because there are ladies present. I was surprised when we looked up and said he was sorry.

Childfree Karen
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login