Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Accident Prevention

Posted by reaperess 
Accident Prevention
July 26, 2012
In light of all the accidents that have been happening, I looked up some child-safety guidelines to see if there was some sort of secret to keeping a child safe. Ummm, there isn't. It's all common sense that anyone who breeds should be able to figure out. Perhaps the breeding-readiness test should start out with a multiple choice section on child safety. If you can't figure out that hot water burns, perhaps you shouldn't breed.

safekids.org
Another site for child safety.

It's your hell; you rot in it!
Re: Accident Prevention
July 26, 2012
When I was a kid, there wasn't any child safety laws or really any concern over child safety. I am pretty sure my parents never baby proofed their house, or went crazy reading every safety related thing they could find before we were born.

I think a lot of accidents involving children could be prevented with something as simple as common sense. Apparently common sense is something no one has any more.
July 26, 2012
chevygirl54
Apparently common sense is something no one has any more.

As rare as common sense is these days, it should rightfully be called uncommon sense now.
July 26, 2012
chevygirl54
When I was a kid, there wasn't any child safety laws or really any concern over child safety. I am pretty sure my parents never baby proofed their house, or went crazy reading every safety related thing they could find before we were born.

I think a lot of accidents involving children could be prevented with something as simple as common sense. Apparently common sense is something no one has any more.

Common sense probably includes breeders watching their own goddamned kids. So I'm not holding my breath.
July 27, 2012
brattymcpants
chevygirl54

Common sense probably includes breeders watching their own goddamned kids. So I'm not holding my breath.

Fact is, I think common sense involve breeders watching LESS their kids.

There is this idiocy about helicopter moooh now. Moooh who never stop watching their loafes, who beybieee proofed the World...
So that, when the kid become able, you know, to do groundbreaking thing like walking around by himself, he is completely useless and unable to look after himself because he always had moooh to take every small stone out of his way because if not he would fall.

“I was talking about children that have not been properly house-trained. Left to their own impulses and indulged by doting or careless parents almost all children are yahoos. Loud, selfish, cruel, unaffectionate, jealous, perpetually striving for attention, empty-headed, for ever prating or if words fail them simply bawling, their voices grown huge from daily practice: the very worst company in the world. But what I dislike even more than the natural child is the affected child, the hulking oaf of seven or eight that skips heavily about with her hands dangling in front of her -- a little squirrel or bunny-rabbit -- and prattling away in a baby's voice.”

― Patrick O'Brian, The Truelove

lib'-er-ty: the freedom given to you to make the wrong decision, based on the reasoned belief that you will normally make the right one.
July 27, 2012
You're right about helicopter parenting. I think It turns kids into whiny, needy brats.

When I was little, my mom watched out for us, but she also let us have some independence. I don't remember her hovering over us every second of the day, making sure we were safe. All three of us are fiercely independent, and I think my parents can take all the credit for that.
July 27, 2012
The rash of kid related "accidents" in the past two decades is caused by a combination of things which include the following:

1)Parents don't supervise their kids properly anymore
2)Parents are relying on so many gadgets to "babysit" their kids, they don't even realize when they're "missing' for any length of time which gives them ample time to wander off and get hurt or killed
3)Everything in our society has become so "kid- centric", parents are assuming"the village", including shop keepers, other customers, and passers by, will "look out" for their kids
4)So many parents have become addicted to the internet and shit like facebooger and Farmville, they can be distracted for hours on end while their kids get into all kinds of mishaps
5)Many parents don't give a shit about their kids' safety, but feign great love and innocence when something happens to it
6)Breeders are relying on companies to "child proof" everything to the point they have developed a false sense of security
7)More and more, parents are taking kids and allowing kids to go places and/or at times they do NOT belong, like movie theatres after midnight
8)Breeders are spawning so MANY damned kids, they can't possibly keep up with all of them properly
9)More tards and "special needs" kids are being born who don't have the common sense to come inside from a shower of shit
10)Some "accidents" are attempts at post natal abortions, such as SIDS, choking on baby monitor cords, falls into wild animal enclosures, and "locked in hot car syndrome":.

------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- -------
If YOU are the "exception" to what I am saying, then why does my commentary bother you so much?
I don't hate your kids, I HATE YOU!
Anonymous User
July 27, 2012
Another thing is that our Parents said "NO", and we knew that they meant it.

Don't leave the yard
Don't ever touch the stove
Don't walk on railroad tracks or you will get killed, and if I ever catch you, I will beat your ass.

We weren't shielded from what could happen, it was the opposite, they showed you what would happen. Was some of it shocking, fuck yes, but we all managed to live to adulthood.
July 27, 2012
badgersqueaks
Another thing is that our Parents said "NO", and we knew that they meant it.

Don't leave the yard
Don't ever touch the stove
Don't walk on railroad tracks or you will get killed, and if I ever catch you, I will beat your ass.

We weren't shielded from what could happen, it was the opposite, they showed you what would happen. Was some of it shocking, fuck yes, but we all managed to live to adulthood.

THIS. When my parents told menot to do something, I just didn't do it. End of story. I knew not to do something they told me not to do because there were consequences, and I wasn't going to like them. If they said I would be punished for doing something, I didn't do it. Simple.
July 27, 2012
My mother never babyproofed and I turned out just fine. Honestly, I've done more damage to myself in the last few years. bouncing and laughing

----------
michaela

"A child will make two dishes at an entertainment for friends, and when the family dines alone, the fore or hind quarter will make a reasonable dish, and seasoned with a little pepper or salt, will be very good boiled on the fourth day, especially in winter." -Jonathan Swift, A Modest Proposal
July 27, 2012
Something else I thought about that is a big "no-no" all these attachment-helicopter moos don't do is allow their kids to watch movies they think are "bad" because they'll turn them into serial killers or scar their wittle dainty dispositions. Some movies my parents let me watch that made a huge impact on me and made me NOT want to be like the characters or BE like them in some cases, are as follows, to the best of my recollection:

Mr and Mrs Bo Jo Jones-About a teen couple that got married after she got knocked up. Many of my friends couldn't watch it because their moos didn't want them exposed to teen inpigness.

The Hand:I NEVER hanged my hands or arms out of another window of a moving vehicle again, ever

Jaws-NEVER did I go off swimming in the Gulf away from the crowd again like I always had in the past

The Bad Seed:Made me realize how some people are just evil and not worth trying to befriend. Dispelled the myth for me, early on, that , "there's good in everybody"

Dawn: Portrait of a Teenage Runaway:Watching "Jan" from The Brady Bunch turn into a hooker made me realize running away wouldn't be an option

Love Story:FEW of my friends were allowed to see this, but it taught me it's "okay" to follow your heart and that life is short, which is a pretty important thing to learn when you're ten and think you'll live forever

Brian's Song: GREAT movie for a kid living in the south during racial tensions in the civil rights movement as well as seeing how short and precious life and friendships are

Saturday Night Fever Again, most of my friends weren't allowed to see it, but it made me aware I do NOT want to be a high school drop out and end up like some of them, especially the inpig part where the guy committed suicide. Oh and that guy describing the paint as, "them purple stripes, likes what on my wife's ass", made an impression on me as well

Carrie:NEVER pick on anyone, was the lesson I learned

The Other Side of the Mountain-Made me a LOT MORE cautious with my sports, including my prior flippant attitude about water skiing and all the foolish risks I had taken because I was invincible. Made me understand the finality of a stupid decision made from an immature, bold, and youthful perspective. However, Jill Kinmont-Boothe(may she rest in peace) remains an inspiration to me due to all of her accomplishments post injury(and before)

ALL the disaster films made me thoroughly think through how I would react in the same situation, which came in handy later in life. There are many more, but I think that's enough to make my point. These little over protected tarts today would watch some of those movies and get skeered, rather than actually getting anything useful out of it for later in life.

------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- -------
If YOU are the "exception" to what I am saying, then why does my commentary bother you so much?
July 27, 2012
chevygirl54
When I was little, my mom watched out for us, but she also let us have some independence. I don't remember her hovering over us every second of the day, making sure we were safe. All three of us are fiercely independent, and I think my parents can take all the credit for that.

Mine had several standard replies to cuts, scrapes and less-than-deadly catastrophes:

*You should've known better than that
*I told you not to do that, now look what happened.
*Well, that'll learn ya

My sibs and I were hardy little snots. A play-related injury was followed by a howl of pain; a brief retreat to the house where we'd get the cut/scrape cleaned, listen to the above admonishments and howl even louder because Mom held us down and treated the injury with Mercurochrome; then dash back outside and proudly show off your wound. The gorier the injury, the better the bragging rights.
July 27, 2012
kidlesskim
Dawn: Portrait of a Teenage Runaway:Watching "Jan" from The Brady Bunch turn into a hooker made me realize running away wouldn't be an option

Or any movies by "70s Teen Girl in Jeopardy"' Linda Blair.

"Born Innocent" made me and a lot of my fellow teen girls straighten up and fly right for at least as long as the topic of the graphic rape scene was in the news doh face
July 27, 2012
My mother also didn't baby proof a house. My grandmother never has and never will. Yet we kids have never had a serious injury.

ETA: I was also well acquainted with Freddy Krueger. Again, I'm not scarred for life.
July 28, 2012
Child-proof? We got smacked if we disregarded our common sense.

We never climbed china cabinets, ate our own poop, played in the street, overflowed the toilet with toys, drank hot water, talked to strangers, pulled plastic bags over our heads, got stuck in hot cars or stabbed our eyes out with a power tool. We did do some stupid stuff, but we survived with all our limbs intact.

I could watch whatever I wanted. Maybe some of the stuff I saw, like watching the Waco Siege or John Waters films, wasn't ideal, but I knew the difference between reality and fiction. It didn't mess me up for life. I learned quickly that the world wasn't so nice.
July 28, 2012
Earlier today I was reminded that my cousin shot himself in the foot with a nail gun not once but several times. My older brother broke his arm doing a back flip off of a swing. I took any number of injuries when I rode horses. We have a few scars but it didn't mess us up for life. We learned to pick ourselves up, dust ourselves off and carry on. Believe it or not, we're better adults for it. All three of us turned out just fine.
July 28, 2012
I recall, at the age of four, the lady who drove the van for my daycare forgot I was supposed to be dropped of at a neighbor's house about ten blocks from my home that day because the owner of the center had approved my mother's request for it the prior week due to a doctor's appointment she had or something. The woman must have been in a hurry because she just let me out and sped off that day instead of waiting to see I got inside like she usually did. In retrospect, she was probably a bizzy moo. Anyway, I vividly recall climbing in a back window after realizing the doors were locked and I ALSO remember telling the cunt,"My mommy isn't home, I am supposed to go to Mrs. Crabtree's house today", and she fucking ignored me and dumped me off in front of my house as I protested, politely of course.drinking coffee

Instinctively, I remember thinking, "I am on my own, woo hoo!". Then, I got KINDA scared because I had never been alone before AND I was only four. I got out the phone book and found the driver's license bureau number where my mother worked and called it and the lady said she was gone for the day and didn't even ask me anything else, so I hung up. Next, I called my dad's job off a number from a box of business cards and THAT lady said he was out on a call, again, she didn't ask me anything and I didn't volunteer it. Next, I tried to look up the neighbor's phone number and call it, but all I ever got was a busy signal, and this was back before caller ID and voice mail, so I eventually gave that up.:bdid

I remember thinking maybe I should call the police, but since I had been warned about making prank calls when nothing was "wrong", I didn't. Then, I made myself a cheese sandwich and watched. "I love Lucy" at 4pm and a cartoon called, "JOT" afterwards.. After that, I changed into play clothes and walked the ten blocks or so to the neighbor's house, which I might add involved crossing a main road during rush hour traffic but I remembered to, "look both ways". By the time I got to the neighbor's house they were all frantic because by that time my mother had returned to work, the secretary had told her her daughter had called, the neighbor told her I never showed, the daycare admitted their "mistake", and my parents were driving all over the fucking place looking for me and must have JUST missed me at home. i'd say about 2-3 hours had lapsed from the time I was dumped off until I was "found"shrug

No one called in any Amber Alert, the police didn't get involved, and other than my mother being upset at the daycare and relieved I was okay, nothing "bad" happened. I didn't even understand what the big deal was at the time. If that happened to a four y/o NOW, they'd have 2 precincts and k-nine units out searching along with a couple of hundred volunteers and helicopters, the kid would be found dangling by a fucking curtain cord in the bedroom, drowned in the bathtub, or choked to death on a chicken bone, the daycare would be sued, CPS would launch an investigation, and the entire town would be setting about donation cans. This bullshit today of kids getting into "accidents" is a combination of things including careless parents who don't TEACH their children how to do anything on their own and stupid children who can't find their ways out of a shower of shit.eye rolling smiley

lenona
July 28, 2012
kidlesskim
This bullshit today of kids getting into "accidents" is a combination of things including careless parents who don't TEACH their children how to do anything on their own and stupid children who can't find their ways out of a shower of shit.eye rolling smiley

Well said, and congrats to your parents for teaching you so much at that age!

However, as someone else said, it's not that kids are any dumber than they used to be, it's that parents are treating them that way and not giving them any responsibilities, so the kids end up mentally flabby. E.g., we used to expect 5-year-olds to cross the roads by themselves, but nowadays, instead, we have sheltered preteens who are too dumb not to walk on the railroad tracks - with earbuds. (And, as George Carlin pointed out, you have to GO to railroad tracks, whereas public roads are everywhere.)

One problem, I think, is that 1) conservative parents often think that kids should take the initiative to learn EVERY boring life skill without asking for help and then they unfairly blame the kids for not knowing how to do anything, and 2) liberal parents think they shouldn't try to push ANY skill on kids that they show no interest in.

As one woman said (not verbatim): "My parents made it a point to TEACH me things. I considered myself to be a pretty independent kid, but back then, I certainly didn't approach my mother and ask her for a lesson in laundry - she had to make me learn and then assign the chore to me."

And, in a similar vein, if teens show no sign of wanting to earn money even when they don't get an allowance, while it may not be possible to get anyone to give them a paying job, making them do a volunteer job could make a serious difference in their futures. At least, it's one step toward learning to write a resume.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login