Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

For the record

Posted by zatoth 
For the record
November 11, 2012
Watching Deadly Women episode "Kinky Killers", Candace DeLong states that children who are sexually abused and grow up to sexually abuse others is rare, about 33% of them do it.
Re: For the record
November 11, 2012
zatoth
Watching Deadly Women episode "Kinky Killers", Candace DeLong states that children who are sexually abused and grow up to sexually abuse others is rare, about 33% of them do it.

That stat is useless until we know what percentage of children who were NOT sexually abused grow up to be sexual abusers for a point of comparison.
November 11, 2012
juliewashere88
zatoth

That stat is useless until we know what percentage of children who were NOT sexually abused grow up to be sexual abusers for a point of comparison.

Also, I would like to see how they have done the math. 33% is 1/3. Sounds a tad bit too neat to be true.

“I was talking about children that have not been properly house-trained. Left to their own impulses and indulged by doting or careless parents almost all children are yahoos. Loud, selfish, cruel, unaffectionate, jealous, perpetually striving for attention, empty-headed, for ever prating or if words fail them simply bawling, their voices grown huge from daily practice: the very worst company in the world. But what I dislike even more than the natural child is the affected child, the hulking oaf of seven or eight that skips heavily about with her hands dangling in front of her -- a little squirrel or bunny-rabbit -- and prattling away in a baby's voice.”

― Patrick O'Brian, The Truelove

lib'-er-ty: the freedom given to you to make the wrong decision, based on the reasoned belief that you will normally make the right one.
November 11, 2012
juliewashere88
zatoth

Still, it blows a hole in the stereotype of sexually abused children becoming sexual abusers.

Another site, statistic brain, has percentage at 30%
November 11, 2012
t.
juliewashere88
zatoth

Also, I would like to see how they have done the math. 33% is 1/3. Sounds a tad bit too neat to be true.

DeLong is a psychological profiler. She appears on several ID programs, including Deadly Women and Faces of Evil, the latter involving her interviewing female murderers.
November 11, 2012
I was sexually abused and I'm neither violent nor a sexual predator. I can only speak for myself, and not other victims of sexual abuse.

I wonder, as julie had mentioned, how many non-abused children grow up to be abusers, as opposed to the ones who were abused who grow up to continue the cycle? Also, the other way around.

That would be an interesting study.
November 11, 2012
I don't think of 1/3 as a small percentage. That's alarmingly large. I also want to know what percentage of people who aren't abused grow up to abuse, or what percentage of abusers were abused.
November 11, 2012
t.
juliewashere88
zatoth

DeLong is a psychological profiler. She appears on several ID programs, including Deadly Women and Faces of Evil, the latter involving her interviewing female murderers.
lenona
November 11, 2012
zatoth

And from what I've heard more than once, rapists were often raised by single, violent mothers. Don't know the stats on that.
November 12, 2012
zatoth
juliewashere88
zatoth

Still, it blows a hole in the stereotype of sexually abused children becoming sexual abusers.

Another site, statistic brain, has percentage at 30%

Uh, not really. One in three is a pretty high ratio. For comparison, less than 4% of the US population identifies as gay. That's 1 in 25. Assuming for a moment that sexual orientation is not affected by having been sexually abused, a sexually-abused child is more than 8 times as likely to grow up to be a sexual abuser than they are to grow up to be gay.

Odds are, we all personally know at least a few gay people - they aren't exactly rare.

So your better hope that people who have been sexually abused as children are more likely than those who were not to become sexual abusers, because 1 in three is a damned high number. I would hate for that to be the norm.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login