Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Having to give up a house due to kids next door

Posted by cfdavep 
Having to give up a house due to kids next door
November 02, 2013
My spouse and I thought we found the "right house" It would end the work commute and the house itself was really nice. It is old, in great condtion with those really thick walls. We drove by it today and the people next door have a trampoline on the other side of their house and one of those plastic kiddie swings. Everything was fine until we drove by this morning and noticed this. We used to live in another state in a house where the famblee had a basketball net and a trampoline. By the time I moved out of there I was wondering if I should be diagnosed with PTSD due to these asses and their noise. Every house we look at now we reject if we see a basketball net or trampoline. We told the agent that we may be making a bid on Monday, but we will not have to reject this place based on kids and "keep looking" Maybe we should just remain renters until we are at the age where we can get into the 55 plus communities. I am just really upset at having to give up the "right house" due to breeders
Re: Having to give up a house due to kids next door
November 02, 2013
Oh that thump-thump-thump of the basketball makes me want to stab something. Our neighbors have not one, but TWO of those crappy free-standing hoops (plus 2 trampolines and one of those cheap inflatable pools, thus completing the White Trash yard fun checklist). I am sorely tempted to make a Craigslist ad saying "Free basketball hoops. Don't ring doorbell, just come by and pick up" with their address.

--------------------
"[GFG's pregnancy is] kind of like at the stables where that one dumb, ugly-ass mare broke out of her corral one day and got herself screwed by the equally fugly colt that was due to be gelded the same afternoon."- Shiny
November 02, 2013
Miss_Hannigan
Oh that thump-thump-thump of the basketball makes me want to stab something. Our neighbors have not one, but TWO of those crappy free-standing hoops (plus 2 trampolines and one of those cheap inflatable pools, thus completing the White Trash yard fun checklist). I am sorely tempted to make a Craigslist ad saying "Free basketball hoops. Don't ring doorbell, just come by and pick up" with their address.

At one of my rental homes, they had two neighbour boys who loved basketball.
Their father was a shift worker, so when he slept in the daytime, the kids were not allowed to use their basketball hoop.
After hearing loud thumping noise and seeing dents in my home's siding, I confronted the kids about playing basketball against my house.
The father stormed over to my home in a rage, because he had told the kids to play basketball against my house and how dare I tell his kids otherwise.
November 02, 2013
cassia

Their father was a shift worker, so when he slept in the daytime, the kids were not allowed to use their basketball hoop.
After hearing loud thumping noise and seeing dents in my home's siding, I confronted the kids about playing basketball against my house.
The father stormed over to my home in a rage, because he had told the kids to play basketball against my house and how dare I tell his kids otherwise.

What an entitled asshole. PLEASE tell me you told the idiot off and didn't just take it!

jbs
November 02, 2013
I think shit neighbors can be dealt with. Pouring huge amounts of liquid ass all over their front yard late at night is a place to start. That stuff will kill the grass and stink up their property for a week. You can also shoot the trampoline with a BB gun. That destroys it very quickly. If spawn are in your yard you can also shoot them with the BB gun. Basketballs can be shredded with a good kitchen knife the first time it lands in your yard. Bike tires in your driveway can meet the same fate. They can also be run over.

Keep in mind these are all just what I would do if I was forced to deal with breeders. It's also why Hubby and I are looking at rural properties. (Looking at sky, whistling innocently.)
November 02, 2013
johnnybsterile
cassia

What an entitled asshole. PLEASE tell me you told the idiot off and didn't just take it!

jbs

I was young and naive at that time regarding crazy neighbour behaviour.
Initially, I was so startled, by his screaming on my doorstep, that I said nothing.
After a few minutes, he got the loud verbal barrage in a similar measure to what he was dishing out.
I banned the entire family from ever setting foot on my property for any reason.
November 02, 2013
satansbitch
If spawn are in your yard you can also shoot them with the BB gun.
I wouldn't shoot any kids with a BB gun, as a BB gun shot can still be lethal or very harmful, even if it tends to be a small pellet.

http://www.wfla.com/story/21639818/polk-deputies-boy-died-from-bb-gun-injury

http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/114/5/1357.full

"Bond described 16 children, 57% of whom required intraoperative treatment, and 19% of whom required other invasive procedures such as arteriogram or ventriculostomy. Thoracic injuries were associated with high morbidity and mortality when penetration of the chest wall occurred. Abdominal wounds were frequently associated with visceral injury and multiple perforations, usually of the small bowel. Peritoneal penetration was associated with a more than 80% chance of visceral injury. Transtracheal and brain injuries were also reported. These authors warn that the wound itself may seem trivial, but if not appreciated for their potential for tissue disruption, nonpowder gun injuries to the head, chest, and abdomen may have catastrophic results. They also note that the pellets from air guns have a propensity to embolize if the missile enters a blood vessel or the heart. The light weight of air gun pellets allows the missile to be swept by the blood flow more readily than heavier, higher-energy projectiles. Friedman report that the potential seriousness of pneumatic weapon injury is frequently underestimated."

Plus there would be jail time if you were found to be firing at the neighbors' kids (even if you didn't hit them.)

So better to just call the cops if they are making too much noise or trespassing, or liquid ass something in their yard. Calling cops starts a record on them if they prove to be repeat offenders, and Liquid ass is always funny, specially because it stinks and annoys the other party. smiling smiley
November 02, 2013
nightfire
So better to just call the cops if they are making too much noise or trespassing, or liquid ass something in their yard. Calling cops starts a record on them if they prove to be repeat offenders, and Liquid ass is always funny, specially because it stinks and annoys the other party. smiling smiley

Cops have a tendency to look the other way when chyyyldren are concerned, as if their noises are somehow exempt from noise codes. Consider those poor neighbors on a thread last month who had to put up with a wailing tard for years before anything happened. The best thing to do is to pass on the property if you still can. Consider yourself lucky that you don't already live there, cfdavep!
November 02, 2013
nightfire
satansbitch
If spawn are in your yard you can also shoot them with the BB gun.
I wouldn't shoot any kids with a BB gun, as a BB gun shot can still be lethal or very harmful, even if it tends to be a small pellet.

I would only shoot spawn with a BB gun if they were ten or older and on my property even though they knew they shouldn't be. I was shot in the behind with a BB gun as a kid and it wasn't fun but it didn't do life altering damage. Like Yurble said, cops tend to ignore complaints about spawn because they're just spawn. I've been on the receiving end of that and I was made to seem like an evil bitch only because I expected peace on property I was paying for.

There are also a few other things I could do if spawn were a problem. I would ask Zatoth for music recommendations. For the sake of being evil I would grow roses and blackberries on one edge of my property. The stains and thorns aren't dangerous but the combination is awesome.

My husband wants rural property and I've come to agree with that. He knows I'm a complete bitch when the situation calls for it.
November 02, 2013
The problem is, if you find a great house with no breeder neighbors, a breeder family could easily move in next door.

This nightmare has just happened to me. And to make it worse, they are ghetto scum breeders. These kids don't just do normal kid squealing/screaming when they play (which is bad enough), they scream bloody murder for no apparent reason, like they've been set on fire or some shit. It is ridiculous. And the moo (or whoever the fuck she is) doesn't do anything about it, except for one time she came outside and said "quit making all that noise or I'll knock your teeth right through your head." Loudly, right there outside in broad daylight. I mean, I can't stand kids and I make all manner of off-color jokes about them, but I couldn't believe she said that for everyone to hear. Makes me wonder what goes on over there behind closed doors. And it's also given me reason to believe I do not want to mess with those people, because they seem like the thug type that would retaliate, and I don't want to get into all that.

To make matters worse and complicate things, they have a little dog that barks with this high pitched piercing bark. And they'll just leave it out there for hours to bark and bark and bark and the way it barks it sounds like it's being tortured or something. I feel bad for it but I hate the thing too (even though I love dogs in general). But because of the dog, liquid ass is out.

I will take any advice on this matter.

It sucks because I love our house and I've put in a lot of money and work renovating it. And these fuckers waltzed on in and turned my sanctuary into a nightmare. Unfortunately moving to a rural property is a pipe dream and not possible for us.
November 02, 2013
@Gnarler,

Then next time moo does that get it on camera phone and call 911 for a child endangerment situation. That's the first thing to do. In your place I would get the tax records on that address and see if the house is rented or owned. If they're renters you're in luck. EVERY TIME the breeder scum gets noisy send a certified letter to the landlord complaining about it. After three letters sue either the landlord, the management company, or better yet, both. Even though they have nothing to do with the situation they're still responsible for controlling what happens on that property. After being sued the garbage will be evicted very quickly.

If they own the property it will be harder to get rid of them but it can still be done. Your city has something called code compliance. Document everything and complain daily. Be nice to the code compliance officers. They're the best friends you have in that situation. After being dragged into court for one violation or another the scum will either settle down, sell, or abandon the property altogether.

Feel free to drop me a line. Even if you just need to vent I'm happy to do what I can.
November 02, 2013
Thanks satansbitch! I appreciate the advice. I had no idea you could sue a landlord for that. I have a suspicion they're a new tenant or something, because the house doesn't appear to have sold recently (we're in single family houses). Good idea to look up the owner on the tax records. I actually have a meeting next week with the police officer who is a liaison for our subdivision to see what he suggests, and I'll see what else I can find out from him. He actually said he knew exactly which house I was talking about before I even gave him the address. He said they're "a handful" and that my instinct to keep my distance personally was a good one. Ugh.

Sorry for threadjacking a bit.
November 02, 2013
Satan'sbitch, I love the roses/blackberries idea. Hollly is another prickly thing that is easy to grow.
Some other garden repellent ideas include poisonous plants in your garden - foxglove, wisteria, larkspur and daffodils are common ones, the latter 2 very easy to grow (other 2 can easy/hard depending on your climate) for most of the U.S. and U.K. If you are in the south oleander is very toxic yet pretty(wisteria can be invasive). Veggie gardeners might want to put in rhubarb and May Apple & Jack-in-the-Pulpit are good for boggy areas. You may already have some yew trees, elderberries, azaleas or daphne on your property. You want to be VERY concerned about the loaves. Go talk to the parents and warn them of the hazard because you'd "just HATE if anything happened" to little Loafleigh.

Another option are garden chemicals (real & fake :biggrin2) I had a problem with a few serious A-holes using the large flowerbed around my mailbox as a doggy potty. Although I only use Seven dust a couple times a year for Japanese Beatles, I sprinkled it on the plants (not that the day lilies or lavender needed it), even dampening the leaves of a few so it would stick, put up a waning sign and verbally warned any dog walkers I saw. Since I really don't like to use Seven any more than really necessary, I now sprinkle just a bit of baby powder (not so much that it smells) and pop out the sign to reinforce the lesson. Bonus - everyone thinks I'm such a wonderful considerate neighbor.waving hellolarious
November 02, 2013
You really have to do your homework, including snooping around the neighborhood and chatting with the folks running the town. It sounds like overkill but better safe than sorry. We were seriously considering a house that overlooked an empty space of park land, imagining drinking coffee out on the back patio and admiring the landscape. Well, it turned out that open stretch of grassland was slated to have a pool/water park built there in a few years! Disaster averted. I'm sure some breeder snapped up the house, thrilled to have an autard lure right in their own backyard.

--------------------
"[GFG's pregnancy is] kind of like at the stables where that one dumb, ugly-ass mare broke out of her corral one day and got herself screwed by the equally fugly colt that was due to be gelded the same afternoon."- Shiny
November 02, 2013
satansbitch

I would only shoot spawn with a BB gun if they were ten or older and on my property even though they knew they shouldn't be. I was shot in the behind with a BB gun as a kid and it wasn't fun but it didn't do life altering damage. Like Yurble said, cops tend to ignore complaints about spawn because they're just spawn. I've been on the receiving end of that and I was made to seem like an evil bitch only because I expected peace on property I was paying for.
True that cops might ignore complaints, but if a BB gun gets aimed at a nymph-stage, the ignoring ends up going the complete opposite way with the cops going nuclear. Plus neighborly relations might get a little ..strained, especially if they happen to be breeders themselves. Not so much that it matters what they think of you, but more in the tendency to retaliate, which they will be more inclined to do if they think someone threatens the local spawn.

satansbitch
There are also a few other things I could do if spawn were a problem. I would ask Zatoth for music recommendations. For the sake of being evil I would grow roses and blackberries on one edge of my property. The stains and thorns aren't dangerous but the combination is awesome.
Well, I'm not sure what kinds of music would drive away errant spawn, but I did come across an interesting plant to try along with the roses and blackberries: Stinging Nettles. Spawn might end up getting to like the sweet tasty blackberries and pretty flowers, but they won't ever like touching stinging nettles. Some people grow them as a deer deterrent, other for culinary purposes. Only downside is that they can spread easily, but that can be avoided by cutting them back before seedheads form and pulling out stray plants.

satansbitch
My husband wants rural property and I've come to agree with that. He knows I'm a complete bitch when the situation calls for it.
It's all good grinning smiley A rural setting is my dream too, especially as I'd love to be one of those people that live in deep woods, with a log/stone cabin as my house and having a stone hearth to cook on. In my area that's getting harder to find (I live on the east coast) and it's sickening how much land gets cleared and how many developments end up getting built. tongue sticking out smiley
Anonymous User
November 02, 2013
Yeah, there's really nothing like a breeder family to drop property value down to virtually nothing. Sorry the house isn't doable.

I totally get it though. This is why I always try to be in top floor corner apartments -- to attempt to insulate myself from the wall-shattering shrieking of loaves stuffed into too little space, or brats stomping around.

Every apartment complex has that one trashy family with Irish fucktuplets stuffed into a two-bedroom.
Anonymous User
November 02, 2013
I'd reconsider.

cfdavep
It is old, in great condtion with those really thick walls.

This could be a great final barrier to the tramp noise, which is on the other side of their house, if I understand you. So I wonder how much noise you'd get, at least while inside your house.

Unfortunately, kids are just about everywhere and you end up living by them whether you rent or own. As another poster said, you could find the perfect place, only to have the Breedworths move next door and install a jungle gym. Granted, it's easier to move if you rent, but how often do you want to move? At least with your own place, you can modify to your heart's content to sound proof. I'm thinking a wall of Blue Spruce. And I really like the "compound construction grade" walls you describe. Are the bedrooms on the breeder side of the house?
November 02, 2013
The bedrooms are on of the other side. We went to see a house in the country and there was a teen neighbour blasting around with an ATV. I have since learned in the country people can really make noise as they have less neighbours to complain about them
November 02, 2013
The plants are an awesome idea but there are a few that are harmful to pets. I know elderberry is one of them. The only rule I've ever had when it comes to plants is that they can't hurt wildlife or pets. The only thing I would feel horrible about is some stray or wild animal trying to get a snack and being poisoned.
November 03, 2013
satansbitch
The plants are an awesome idea but there are a few that are harmful to pets. I know elderberry is one of them. The only rule I've ever had when it comes to plants is that they can't hurt wildlife or pets. The only thing I would feel horrible about is some stray or wild animal trying to get a snack and being poisoned.

I understand but 1. animals tend be be smarter than loaves, 2. most of the things (oleander and daphne BIG exceptions) I listed aren't fatal unless you eat a ton of it or certain parts (the bulbs of the daffodil). Of course you don't tell the breeders that. :biggrin2

Regarding the ones I've mentioned, I've had all but yew & daphne in my gardens over the years and never had cats, dogs, or wildlife harmed (here in NC I've got deer, raccoons, rabbits, LOTS of birds). I do think that you'd have to take care if you had goats, cows (non-breeder type) or other grazers.
November 03, 2013
The nettles are a really good idea! They spread by their roots too, but if you keep them cut back whenever they get above grass height, they make big stinger covered leaves at grass level. Just wait until Sprogleigh gets a palm full after tripping into a patch of those! Yowzer!
Benadryl spray works real well on the stings, but keep that secret to yourself! My land is covered in the things. I've been meaning to try making nettle soup or tea one of these years, I hear it's very nutritious and the stinger stuff cooks off after just a few minutes and draining, I think.
November 03, 2013
cfdavep
I have since learned in the country people can really make noise as they have less neighbours to complain about them

ITA. We live in a rural area and have had our share of problems with noisy neighbors over the years. When our closest neighbor decided to sell after her husband died, we decided that our quality of life would be ruined if the Breedersons moved in, so we bought the house. We now have a tenant (a friend of a friend) who is the perfect tenant--pays on time, keeps the place up, and is quiet as a churchmouse.

Several years later, when another neighbor was foreclosed on, we bought that place too, not because we wanted to actually own such a trashed piece of shit, but because we feared what might move in if we didn't. The place screams "white trash breeder hovel" and I am certain we overpaid for it, but we looked at it from the POV of "how much is our sanity and peace and quiet worth?," swallowed the vomit in the backs of our throats, and made an offer.

I have since heard from the town assessor that there was an incredible amount of interest in that property before it went up for sale, and people are asking us if we will be offering it for rent anytime soon. Originally we thought we might, but now, I'm thinking we might convert it into a cabin/guest house if we don't offer it to the local fire department for a controlled burn training exercise.
November 04, 2013
My parents live in a rural area and there aren't any houses visible from their property, although there are a lot more in the vicinity than there were when I was growing up. Last time I was visiting I could hear someone's music faintly when I was outside, and I was trying to figure out just how fucking loud it must have been to reach their house. It was really unexpected.

I'm now living in a village instead of in the middle of the city and I'm enjoying not having the horrible apartment neighbors who can be heard constantly through paper-thin walls. The area we live in is mostly filled with elderly people, which is perfect for us.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login