Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

And so it begins. The consequences of making abortions hard to obtain...

Posted by Dorisan 
And so it begins. The consequences of making abortions hard to obtain...
February 19, 2014
LINK

Jennifer Whalen, a 38-year-old mother in Washingtonville, Pa., was charged in December with felony and misdemeanor counts for ordering the abortion medication misoprostol and mifepristone online for $45. Whalen got the drugs for her 16-year-old pregnant daughter back in January 2012. She said she couldn’t find an abortion clinic nearby, she didn’t want to go out of state, and she didn’t know she needed a prescription for the drugs.
Re: And so it begins. The consequences of making abortions hard to obtain...
February 19, 2014
This is truly scary.

I have enough $ to go anywhere for an abortion.

But that won't always help, either ~
Time and logistical issues may get in your way. Which these types are clearly working to squeeze ever more.

I looked for facilities around 'here' too - and there's not nearly as many as I thought there would be.

All these closures and obstacles disturb me, greatly.

It has far reaching implications, also - such as with women's employment. Right now they think you might get pregnant - take away abortion (and as some want, BC) - and you probably WILL get pregnant. It will affect how women are seen in the work place. And society in general. Which is not great now, and such things will make it *far worse*.
Barbarians, the lot of them. spanking with a whip on the ass First, they take our right to safe abortions away. Then, they try to take our right to access contraception away as well. Is their ultimate goal to herd all females into gated compounds to ensure they produce offspring until old age makes it impossible? Eventually, the government will have a revolution on their hands. And I will not feel sorry for those anti-choice politicians. :bedmadelie
Yep. This is incredibly scary. I've started looking for a planned parenthood to get an iud from (I still have a while to save up first) and I was suprised how few actually listed abortion as one of their services. If, by some tragedy, I did find myself pregnant, the distance wouldn't stop me from getting an abortion, but it would make it considerably more difficult and annoying. Unfortunately, not everyone is as determined or in as good a situation as I am, and they might not be able to make it to a clinic in time. It's sad to think of the lives ruined by this.

My parents listened to Rush Limbaugh and the other angry radio men like they were their gods. Still, I don't understand this way of thinking. Why do people want kids to grow up unwanted? Why do they want to punish women so much? It doesn't make sense to me.
I'm so relieved to be going through menopause, even though my husband got snipped years ago. That in itself was kind of a minor miracle, as he was active duty at the time, and I think he pretty much flew under the radar and was able to get it done without anyone giving him a hard time OR wanting to have me come in and talk about it.

But I'm absolutely livid for women who don't have the resources to travel or have to resort to getting mifeprex online - where you're not sure about the quality and purity of what you're getting AND you'd have to worry about possibly being prosecuted. I just cannot believe we're still having public conversations about what a woman should be "allowed" to do about her private reproductive health business. :headbrick
barbur
I'm so relieved to be going through menopause,

That goes double for me. When I got pregnant back in '75, I was living in a country (then-West Germany) where abortion was prohibited - I had to fly all the way to the U.K. to get my scrape in a clinic outside of London. Thank goodness my boyfriend had the bucks to pay for it.

I think this anti-abortion movement is temporary. They've forgotten what life was like before abortion was legal in the U.S. and 32,000 women died every year from the effects of back-alley or self-induced procedures. When women start dying again, abortion restrictions will be loosened once more. But I'm glad I don't have to live through that period as a fertile woman. To those of you who are still fertile, GET FIXED! As soon as ever you can.
skyeyes
To those of you who are still fertile, GET FIXED! As soon as ever you can.

I'm hoping to be able to before I turn 25 (I turn 20 in late April).

----------
"Be yourself, no matter what. Some will adore you, and some will hate everything about you, but who cares?

It's your life. Make the most out of it."
This is really some scary shit right here. I figured they would go after the possibility of taking pills to prevent pregnancy eventually. I sometimes wish, that if I could, to create an online service for women who want to end their pregnancies and provide them with some much needed help. Because why the fuck should they have to suffer because of their biology?

Gosh, I wish I was fixed. I don't even have much contact with men (and wouldn't dare to have sex with any of them), but this doesn't prevent the possibility of rape entirely and the consequences that might follow. I think that in Germany though, we still have plenty of abortion services around, however, who the fuck knows how far these religious nutjobs with their pro-life stance will come here. I have heard they already started the "March for Life" bullshit here too.
February 20, 2014
Getting tubals, ablation, vasectomies and abortion is still relatively accessible in southern Ontario, Canada.

In the past, I have looked into these procedures for other people and had a tubal, ablation and an abortion myself (obviously separate procedures)

For any Ontario residents all of these procedures are covered by our provincial health plan (ie free to the patient)

For anyone who is wishing to obtain the above procedures, I am officially opening my doors to research what the costs would be (for people outside Ontario) and let you use my home for accommodation in recovery time.
What I want to know is how did law enforcement find out about this in the first place? Are they snooping through our mail now? Secret pregnancy tests? Are hospitals and credit card companies required to support suspicion of abortion now?
Scary.

I meant to say "report" instead of "support". Derp
Relieved to live in the UK right now. Free birth control and free access to abortions here, and I hope it stays that way.
February 20, 2014
The mail is heavily snooped, but UPS/Fedex/DHL are worse, and certain shipping locations get flagged very fast these days.
There are still ways to order most anything over the internet, but getting busted or scammed is a very high probability.
I was looking into how to order things without a prescription, all I wanted was a ready access to muscle relaxers, once I saw how bad they had already cracked down on pain killers. It's nearly as difficult to get meds that aren't scheduled!
Luckily I found a still legal plant I can order online that does a perfectly good job on my problems. Unfortunately, states are beginning to ban it one by one, so I am concerned about its future. sad smiley
All of my packages, even completely innocuous clothing packages, arrive with an identical hole punched in the box, if they haven't been obviously opened and resealed. Makes me wonder who's snooping on me. Somebody's looking out for my "best interests". Or maybe I'm just paranoid and all my packages are picked up at some point by a defective robot whose hands/claws puncture everything, lol.
Presto
The mail is heavily snooped, but UPS/Fedex/DHL are worse, and certain shipping locations get flagged very fast these days.
There are still ways to order most anything over the internet, but getting busted or scammed is a very high probability.
I was looking into how to order things without a prescription, all I wanted was a ready access to muscle relaxers, once I saw how bad they had already cracked down on pain killers. It's nearly as difficult to get meds that aren't scheduled!
Luckily I found a still legal plant I can order online that does a perfectly good job on my problems. Unfortunately, states are beginning to ban it one by one, so I am concerned about its future. sad smiley
All of my packages, even completely innocuous clothing packages, arrive with an identical hole punched in the box, if they haven't been obviously opened and resealed. Makes me wonder who's snooping on me. Somebody's looking out for my "best interests". Or maybe I'm just paranoid and all my packages are picked up at some point by a defective robot whose hands/claws puncture everything, lol.

This is terrifying. Our "gate keepers" would rather find and prosecute someone taking care of their own health than probably a hundred real terrorists. Wouldn't it have been nice if they idiots who bombed the Boston Marathon had been snooped on rather than you or the mother trying to take care of her daughter's health and future?
February 20, 2014
Wow, this is so awful. A FELONY. I hope this woman can get some good legal help and support. I can't believe this shit.
seamstress
Yep. This is incredibly scary. I've started looking for a planned parenthood to get an iud from (I still have a while to save up first) and I was suprised how few actually listed abortion as one of their services.

Contrary to the fetus fanatics and angry radio men, some PPs do not do abortion onsite. They do counseling and often contract it out to providers.I know of at least two offices that did not do them inhouse. One was in the batshit crazy south and one was in the northeast.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
From a bottle cap message on a Magic Hat #9 beer: Condoms Prevent Minivans
I want to pick up a bus full of unruly kids and feed them gummi bears and crack, then turn them loose in Hobby Lobby to ransack the place. They will all be wearing T shirts that say "You Could Have Prevented This."
February 20, 2014
evilchildlessbitch
What I want to know is how did law enforcement find out about this in the first place?

I believe the daughter had to be taken to the emergeny room because the abortion did not complete. Upon questioning, the story came out. I suppose both mother and daughter were scared at that point. A smart thing to do (IMO) would have been to clam up and say "I dunno how this happened. She just started bleeding." Let the doctor figure it out.

It doesn't even take ordering online to obtain the pills. Just walk over the border to Mexico and get a scoop full of pills, no questions asked.

This needs to be a wakeup to the anti-choicers. If a woman wants to get rid of the fetus, nothing is going to stop her. We need another Margaret Sanger.
navi8orgirl
seamstress
Yep. This is incredibly scary. I've started looking for a planned parenthood to get an iud from (I still have a while to save up first) and I was suprised how few actually listed abortion as one of their services.

Contrary to the fetus fanatics and angry radio men, some PPs do not do abortion onsite. They do counseling and often contract it out to providers.I know of at least two offices that did not do them inhouse. One was in the batshit crazy south and one was in the northeast.

Apologies. While I read all that I can in attempts to re-educate myself, I always seem to miss one important detail or another. I'm guessing that it's common knowledge to most people. :redface
blondie
Wow, this is so awful. A FELONY. I hope this woman can get some good legal help and support. I can't believe this shit.

I agree with you. Your life is over after you get a felony. Your rights go poof.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````
"I have found little that is 'good' about human beings on the whole. In my experience most of them are trash, no matter whether they publicly subscribe to this or that ethical doctrine or to none at all."
~Sigmund Freud
No need to apologize. That part rarely gets any press.

Even traitorous PPers turned fetus fanatics tell the world that all of PP is an abortion mill and nothing else goes on in there. And they know the truth.

From a bottle cap message on a Magic Hat #9 beer: Condoms Prevent Minivans
I want to pick up a bus full of unruly kids and feed them gummi bears and crack, then turn them loose in Hobby Lobby to ransack the place. They will all be wearing T shirts that say "You Could Have Prevented This."
I still find it disturbing that law enforcement got involved. There was no child abuse or rape, thus no mandatory report. The doc should have kept it to himself.
February 20, 2014
evilchildlessbitch
I still find it disturbing that law enforcement got involved. There was no child abuse or rape, thus no mandatory report. The doc should have kept it to himself.

Maybe there is some type of rule that would make this mandatory reporting since it was a minor and the mother got the meds illegally to give to the girl. Still.. This is just so fucked up. She should not have been charged, she made a mistake but this too harsh.
blondie
evilchildlessbitch

Maybe there is some type of rule that would make this mandatory reporting since it was a minor and the mother got the meds illegally to give to the girl. Still.. This is just so fucked up. She should not have been charged, she made a mistake but this too harsh.

I assume that is what it is, and if this were an 11 year old I can see reporting child abuse because if an 11 year old is inpig/sexually active something hinky is going on. An inpig/sexually active 16 year old? Probably not illegal. Did Mom screw up? Yeah, but she likely wanted to spare her daughter the trauma of having to drive 2-3 hours and walk a gauntlet of shaming and name calling just to pay $500 or more for those same pills. People need to be able to seek health care without fear unless they are suspected of murder, abuse, a shooting, a stabbing, poisoning, rape or child sexual abuse. I say this as a health care professional who made many mandatory reports. This girl would have died without treatment and doctors need to be able to get accurate information from patients to treat them.
I think the tide is going to turn as soon as women start dying again, too. Kind of like the ex-anti-vaxxers who didn't realize exactly how bad things like measles really are.

Personally, I think we're poised for a pro-choice resurgance. I drive by one of the few remaining Planned Parenthood locations in my state that still performs abortions on my way to work, and were I to judge solely by the protestors, I would have learned that:

1. Abortion is only REALLY wrong on weekends, as that's apparently when it's worth protesting (I work weekends every so often).
2. Protesting is a great time to catch up with your friends, either in person or on the phone.
3. The traffic light control box regrets its abortion terribly (in fairness, one woman did carry a similar sign once - but only once. The box has been regretful much more often).
4. Parking illegally is WRONG. Also profitable, if you're the police.
4. If you wander around with a rosary and/or a Bible near PP, you're making a clear statement.
5. Every group has a zealot (I call ours the Preacher Man)

Given that there are a grand total of 3 PPs that still perform abortions in the state (plus a few private clinics) and this is the best protest the local Catholics can muster, I think (and hope and pray) that they're in the minority.

Also, seamstress - I didn't know that many PP's don't perform abortions on-site until reading this thread, so you at least have some company, such as I am smiling smiley

/threadjack
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login