Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

You're kidding-- a decent CF article at Good Housekeeping

Posted by kittehpeoples 
You're kidding-- a decent CF article at Good Housekeeping
March 20, 2014
I hope this is the right place to post this-- I just tripped over this article about things not to say to a woman who doesn't want kids:

http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/family/parenting-tips/woman-who-doesnt-want-kids
Re: You're kidding-- a decent CF article at Good Housekeeping
March 20, 2014
I like it!

It's nice to see a 'main stream' publication discussing this.
March 21, 2014

5. "You’ll change your mind."
That's what I said to a friend who told me he didn't want a dog. It's amazing how little some people know about themselves.

LOL! I'll steal this one grinning smiley
Also this:

8. "That’s just unnatural."
So are wearing clothing, getting vaccinated, shaving one’s legs, being vegetarian, and almost everything about David Bowie, and I’m a huge fan of all of those things.

I am not vegetarian but man, I almost laughed out loud at this grinning smiley

“I was talking about children that have not been properly house-trained. Left to their own impulses and indulged by doting or careless parents almost all children are yahoos. Loud, selfish, cruel, unaffectionate, jealous, perpetually striving for attention, empty-headed, for ever prating or if words fail them simply bawling, their voices grown huge from daily practice: the very worst company in the world. But what I dislike even more than the natural child is the affected child, the hulking oaf of seven or eight that skips heavily about with her hands dangling in front of her -- a little squirrel or bunny-rabbit -- and prattling away in a baby's voice.”

― Patrick O'Brian, The Truelove

lib'-er-ty: the freedom given to you to make the wrong decision, based on the reasoned belief that you will normally make the right one.
March 21, 2014

3. "Don’t you like kids?"
Very much, actually; I was a camp counselor for years, and I’m stockpiling storybooks for the kids my sisters plan to have. The fact that I’m not interested in having my own son or daughter means I can lavish my time, resources, and valuable life lessons on my friends’ and family’s offspring. That’s quite it-takes-a-village and pro-kid, really.

See, it's okay that I don't want my own kids because I take care of other people's kids!
Just... Just stahp. Can there ever be an article stating that it's okay not to be interested in kids - period?

I don't have low self-esteem. That's a mistake. I have low esteem for everyone else.
-Daria
March 21, 2014
I love it, especially #8, if only because I am giving myself a manicure right now. grinning smiley

I'm bookmarking that article, thank you for sharing!
March 21, 2014
awesominatrix

3. "Don’t you like kids?"
Very much, actually; I was a camp counselor for years, and I’m stockpiling storybooks for the kids my sisters plan to have. The fact that I’m not interested in having my own son or daughter means I can lavish my time, resources, and valuable life lessons on my friends’ and family’s offspring. That’s quite it-takes-a-village and pro-kid, really.

See, it's okay that I don't want my own kids because I take care of other people's kids!
Just... Just stahp. Can there ever be an article stating that it's okay not to be interested in kids - period?

Yeah, I HATE when everyone has to do that breeder pandering bullshit, like you are horrible for not wanting to be around any kids.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Shrieking babbies are the most effective birth control on earth.
March 22, 2014
Exactly. I thought most of the article was good except for that breeder pleasing bit.

I watched The Bridge (Danish/Swedish crime series) and the Swedish detective in that is brilliant. I think she is supposed to be Aspergers, she is very bright but also very blunt, and she is CF, in contrast to her Danish counterpart, a duh with 4 kids from 2 marriages who only shows up for the Kodak moments and spends most of his time working or philandering. Danish Duh's nanny asks her in one episode if she has kids. She says no, at which point nanny assumes she doesn't like kids. She replies "I like some kids. I don't like kids just because they're kids" which sums up exactly how I feel about it.

Kids are not all the same. I don't automatically dislike all kids but I do not automatically like allkids either. Some kids are ok, like my best mate's two. I am fine with talking to them, taking an interest in them, I might pick up books I know they'd like etc. But then some of my friends/family have kids I either tolerate or avoid.

So the breeder question "don't you like kids" rarely has a simple answer for me. It depends on the kid and how we interact.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login