Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

More educated women having more kids

Posted by yurble 
More educated women having more kids
October 28, 2014
Ugh.

It has long been considered a fact of modern life that highly educated women have fewer children. Received wisdom has it that women with university degrees go on to pursue careers and often end up starting their families later than other women. As a result they tend to have fewer children than average.

However, a study to be published in the Economic Journal suggests that this view no longer holds true, and that there has been a significant increase in the fertility rates of highly educated women in the last three decades.

Research by economists Moshe Hazan and Hosny Zoabi finds that, while fertility rates among American women with some form of college education have largely stagnated over the last 30 years, among women with advanced degrees they have risen by more than 50%.

And no doubt they feel entitled to it, because of their wealth, "intelligence" or whatever.

Siobhan Freegard, co-founder of Netmums, the UK online forum, said many women who used its site expressed a desire to have a third child. “But they know their lives wouldn’t cope with it,” Freegard said. “It’s the women who have good careers, who can afford a cleaner and a nanny who take the stress out of their lives, who can have three children.”

Freegard pointed out that, unlike in the US, in the UK the stubbornly high cost of childcare meant that for many women larger families were still unachievable. “It’s something we hear an awful lot of on the forums,” Freegard said. “Many women are saying they have to leave large gaps between having their children so that they can get one into school before having another.”

And you just know they're going to be using this data to talk about how we can enable all women to have three children. When, of course, nobody ought to have three children with the current world population.

At least some of the comments mention childfreedom as an option.

They can afford more children but society can't. Where do we put 20 million more born over the next few decades? Where do we build 25 more Birminghams? One child is enough, maximum two. People who have more should pay a tax according to earnings and assets. Utterly irresponsible.
Re: More educated women having more kids
October 28, 2014
I guess even the educated succumb to the pro-natalist propaganda that is everywhere. sad smiley
October 28, 2014
Makes sense, the mega-businesses need to influence the people with the most money to have the most kids so they will keep buying the most stuff, especially after they spoil those kids by giving them every single thing they ask for.

At least these folks can afford the kids and won't contribute to overwhelming the safety nets of their countries when jobs are hard to come by.

Funny how it never mentions men having any sort of say in the number of children they have. All these upper class kids can't be coming from a sperm bank.
October 28, 2014
you notice that, when they have lots of $$$$, they almost always farm the brats out?

two cents ¢¢

CERTIFIED HOSEHEAD!!!

people (especially women) do not give ONE DAMN about what they inflict on children and I defy anyone to prove me wrong

Dysfunctional relationships almost always have a child. The more dysfunctional, the more children.

The selfish wants of adults outweigh the needs of the child.

Some mistakes cannot be fixed, but some mistakes can be 'fixed'.

People who say they sleep like a baby usually don't have one. Leo J. Burke

Adoption agencies have strict criteria (usually). Breeders, whose combined IQ's would barely hit triple digits, have none.
October 28, 2014
crazy old crone
At least these folks can afford the kids and won't contribute to overwhelming the safety nets of their countries when jobs are hard to come by.

That doesn't make things better, in my opinion. The rich consume more resources - worse for the planet as a whole and the rest of us living on it.
October 28, 2014
twocents
you notice that, when they have lots of $$$$, they almost always farm the brats out?

The better a woman's career, the less likely she is to want to become a SAHMoo for any length of time, because smart women know that childcare = drudgery and mind-numbing boredom. They go to work for a break from the kids, even though a lot of them probably only see them for a couple of hours a day during the week. Of course they can have three brats if someone else is doing all the work.

The smartest women, I maintain, however, went one step further and thought "hang on a minute, if I would need an army of servants to outsource all the cuntwork of having children to in order to carry on with my life, then why have any in the first place?"

And those women lived happily ever after.
October 28, 2014
Here comes the next generation of trust-fund kids.
October 28, 2014
Guess that leaves me out, we're saving our "money is meant to have babies" for a trip to Saint-Tropez smiling smiley
October 29, 2014
From my personal observation, education very little to do with breeding. Income does. Very rich love to breed. Very poor love to breed. Now, very rich are usually more educated. Poor are usually less educated. There are more poor than there are rich.

Rich people breed because it does not really affect them financially. Poor people breed because it does not really affect them financially.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login