Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Church isn't worth it anymore

Posted by cj 
Church isn't worth it anymore
March 27, 2016
Today my Better Half and I went to the Easter service at our church. We are members of the choir so we were at the 8:00 service (which is still too early for me to be functional). Fewer kyds there at that time, so there's that. Still, after being a churchgoer a good part of my life, I don't really want to be part of it anymore.

A bit of background first. I was raised Catholic and was married in a Catholic ceremony, but I had serious reservations about the R.C.teachings on women's role in the Church. I stopped going to church for a number of years but didn't want to leave the Catholic Church completely. Finally the sex scandals and the pedophile priest stories reminded me of some real unpleasantness I dealt with as a teen. That was it so far as Catholicism was concerned. I became a Methodist about a dozen years ago, thinking it wouldn't matter so much that I was childfree. Of course, I was mistaken.

It's damned strange that the central figure of Christianity didn't have children, yet so much of worship concerns the kyds. When I was a youngun, our role was to sit down and keep quiet during Mass. No special "Children's Time," always a part of the Methodist service. WTF? Of course the kyds were bouncing off the walls today thanks to the sugar rush of Easter. And almost always nobody--adults or kyds-- actually learns anything during that time. It seems like it's cheap entertainment for the adults. Some people must be more easily entertained than others. Some adults announce they are going to have another grandkyd...congratulations abound. Alrighty then.eye rolling smiley

Plain and simple, I feel awful getting up early to sing, contributing money for who-knows-what, and still feeling like I don't belong there because we didn't make more little Methodists. It it even possible for a childfree person to fit in a faith community? I think I know the answer now, and I wish it weren't so. But what the hell, someone else can sing in the choir or play the violin for them.
Re: Church isn't worth it anymore
March 27, 2016
That really stinks, esp if church is important to your life.

Have you tried the UU church?

Evan Davis
March 27, 2016
I stopped going to church (RC as well) because my personal CF beliefs didn't jive with the church. They once had an ENTIRE sermon about how women who have abortions are going to Hell, which made me feel awkward because I'd recently had one, and they are against birth control and other things. Top that off with pervy priests and homophobia and I was done.

I still have my own personal spiritual beliefs but don't practise any type of religion. Since I was raised as a RC, my beliefs align with it, but not completely because of my own CF philosophy. It's a confusing mix, for sure.
March 27, 2016
Well that's handy, I was just wondering whether you have Easter in America. Do you have Easter eggs as well?
March 27, 2016
Yes, in the US and Canada. And Easter eggs too.
March 27, 2016
That really sucks.

Church should be a quiet time for prayer, a sermon, singing.

NOT about da chyldrun.

Happy Spring Equinox everyone.
March 27, 2016
Eh, most of the baybee stuff they so heavily push, it's not really related to whatever is actually found in the Bible. Sometimes there is such a disparity between what it says and what they say you swear they're reading a whole 'nother book. If baybees were so inportant, Jesus would have had one and it would still be emphasised, rather then a slow deconstruction away from blood family, and Jesus not having children at all.

I don't even pay attention to those people anymore.
March 27, 2016
Not to sound self-righteous, but Christian-specific days are now all about babby-worship. Although there are still some remnants of original meanings in these days, it's mostly 'all about the chuldrun', hence the chocolate eggs at Easter and insanity of gift-giving at Xmas. If it was adult-oriented there wouldn't be reams of colourful chocolate eggs, and truckloads of toys as gifts. The same for the church services, that wouldn't cater for 'brat time'.

However, there is reason for this insanity. For the vendors it's a nice predictable and very profitable time, where they make most of their profits for the year, during this time. As well as ensuring that there is a continually renewed income stream with the creating of new babbies every year. If they only targeted adults, they wouldn't be assured a constantly renewed income stream, because adults would eventually see through this obvious money-making ploy and refuse to participate.

The same goes for the church services. They know their denomination is shrinking, as it is in most western societies. Statistically, regular church attendances are dropping, mostly because the west is becoming more educated and simply don't agree with the anachronistic belief system demanded, combined with the ongoing vile abuses that are coming to light. The church needs a new income stream and renewable potential denominations, and babbies are it. Hence the church babby worship.

It's one of the reasons why I simply refuse to attend church, and remain proudly agnostic.
March 27, 2016
pitbullgirl1965
That really stinks, esp if church is important to your life.

Have you tried the UU church?

I attend a Unitarian Universalist church, and there's none of this nonsense. The small children don't even attend the sermon part of the service where I go. They come out for what's called the "noisy offering," which is where they pass a bucket around for change and the kids eventually vote on what cause to give the money to. Children are not used as props, but I like that they get to be involved in the social justice focus of our church.
March 27, 2016
selidororous
That really sucks.

Church should be a quiet time for prayer, a sermon, singing.

NOT about da chyldrun.

Happy Spring Equinox everyone.

Just finished watching The Walking Dead in observance of this day, as Jesus was the original zombie.
March 27, 2016
Not to sound preachy but if it helps any there is a huge difference between religion and God. You don't have to follow a religion to believe in God. Most of the stuff that many of the churches are spewing is wrong anyway (tithing being the major one) so if you are concerned about that aspect don't be. Religion is manmade no matter how you look at it.

"It is better not to look like what you are; it is better to look like a bourgeois woman because then all the doors are open for you and then you can just go and make hell." - Marjane Satrapi
March 28, 2016
nokidsandhappy
However, there is reason for this insanity. For the vendors it's a nice predictable and very profitable time, where they make most of their profits for the year, during this time. As well as ensuring that there is a continually renewed income stream with the creating of new babbies every year. If they only targeted adults, they wouldn't be assured a constantly renewed income stream, because adults would eventually see through this obvious money-making ploy and refuse to participate.

Ha! My parents and siblings were all born approximately 9 mos. later. Now I know why! Thanks!

Bet this is even more common for those that celebrate Lent.
March 28, 2016
Religion was created by man based on the alignment of the planets in our solar system meant for a man to lead followers and provide order and morals (morals we now know can be taught at home, without the need of the church)

Humans still follow the heard mentality, look at why there are still churches and organized religion. It's also why people still breed like idiots. God is just DOG spelt backwards and was made up, as was every other 'character' in the bible so we would believe it and follow like good sheeple.

Now I don't mean to offend anyone here, although I don't think anyone is overly religious anyway since the church would frown upon us being CF among other reasons. I don't see honestly why anyone would let a stupid book dictate how they are to live their life, what sex they can marry and most of all what a woman does with her womb. I also hate how the religtards warp the views of the book to suit their own needs as they see fit. i.e. 'The only moral abortion is our abortion'

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
They are having children for selfish and narcissistic reasons, or are simply irresponsible. Funny... Those are the terms often used to describe the CF

~Live, Laugh, Love~
March 28, 2016
I got some good advice once from reading a book and to this day I don't leave the house without taking my towel.

If I forget my towel I just remember "don't panic".
March 29, 2016
mumofsixbirds

Do you have Hot Cross Buns too?
March 29, 2016
coco uk
mumofsixbirds

Do you have Hot Cross Buns too?

Yup! grinning smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login