Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

A great CF article about not having to host kids in your house

Posted by cfdavep 
A great CF article about not having to host kids in your house
June 09, 2017
http://www.delish.com/food/a53607/amanda-blum-kids-arent-welcome-in-my-house/

She writes about having to host friend's kids and the article gets amusing concerning some guests trying to avoid holding a baybee
Re: A great CF article about not having to host kids in your house
June 09, 2017
Gonna keep this... and post it on my fridge. May do it in calligraphy one day... who knows.

"So, to recap: It's my house. Your kids aren't welcome in it. Because it's my house. I'll let you know if that ever changes, but as we move forward, let's just make it a blanket assumption. Neither of us should have to keep justifying our life choices and autonomy."
Nope, loaves aren't allowed in my house either. They are loud, destructive and shit themselves. I have waaaayyyy too many breakable stuff in my house, and it's not childproofed. Not only that, but my conure doesn't like kids and he bites.
Our houses are the last refuge from a babby-worshipping & rabid world. As long as I own this babby-free bunker, they are not welcome. I too have too many nice things, that people comment on - and they stay that way as they are out of the grubby mitts of the snot and shit factories.
June 18, 2017
mumofsixbirds
Nope, loaves aren't allowed in my house either. They are loud, destructive and shit themselves. I have waaaayyyy too many breakable stuff in my house, and it's not childproofed. Not only that, but my conure doesn't like kids and he bites.

I've never had a childproof house/condo/apartment either. In fact, my parents never childproofed their house and I and my 4 siblings survived. Not sure how, but we did.

After my house flooded, I learned about a piece of mandatory childproofing I have to do. My house took 3 feet of water and as a result, I had to have all my electrical outlets replaced. My electrician told me I had to use tamper resistant outlets in order to comply with the national electrical code. I verified this online.

http://www.nfpa.org/public-education/by-topic/top-causes-of-fire/electrical/tamper-resistant-electrical-receptacles

Basically, these outlets have some kind of spring loaded shield in them so nothing can be place in one hold, only both. Sometimes, plugs don't go into them as easily as regular outlets and I occasionally find myself struggling with them to plug something in. Apparently, they are set up this way so a kid can't put a paperclip or something into one of the holes and zap itself. I have no kids in my house and won't have any(vasectomy), so why should I have these things.

Never needed childproofing in the past, why is so much needed now?
June 19, 2017
JohnDrake
Basically, these outlets have some kind of spring loaded shield in them so nothing can be place in one hold, only both. Sometimes, plugs don't go into them as easily as regular outlets and I occasionally find myself struggling with them to plug something in. Apparently, they are set up this way so a kid can't put a paperclip or something into one of the holes and zap itself. I have no kids in my house and won't have any(vasectomy), so why should I have these things.

Never needed childproofing in the past, why is so much needed now?

Those outlets are damn annoying, I've struggled with them as well. As far as I'm concerned, all mandatory safety measures should assume a certain IQ, say something above a radish. If you happen to have small children or other idiots in your house, then there should be a list of guidelines for increasing safety which you can apply, whether voluntarily or mandated I don't care. But stop pushing on everyone measures which don't help everyone.
June 19, 2017
I remember when I was a kid that I was playing around on the floor in my room and decided to stick a bobby pin into a light socket. Well.. I learned very quickly that YOU DON"T DO THAT! I have been respectful of electricity ever since. I got a shock that shot up my arm and I am damn lucky that's all it did. Still.. my parents were nearby and caught me and it wasn't only the shock that scared me away from the ebil electrical outlets. My parents explained to me (at 3 or 4 years old) what I had done could have 'KILLED ME'. Yep.. not afraid to say the word 'KILLED' back then. I knew what it meant too.
Today's snewflaques are so damn stupid.
OH.. and my new house has those protected outlets. Lots of 'words' come from my mouth when I have to plug things in. Sometimes it's almost tempting to stick a small screwdriver in there to move the thing over so the plug will go in. Nope... not me... learned my lesson long ago.
June 20, 2017
My neropathy means problems with many things, but as far as outlets go, I plug in a surge protection strip and forget the fucker.

+++++++++++++

Passive Aggressive
Master Of Anti-brat
Excuses!
June 22, 2017
Our home is not childproof either - lots of breakables, and I do not have to worry about any uninvited crotchfruit trying to play ball with my millifiori paperweight collection.
I don't allow young kids in my house either. I do have some friends with teenage children - I don't mind them for the most part, but I would still expect them to check with me if it was alright to bring one over when it had not been previously arranged. Kids do indeed suck the life out of the room - they HAVE to be the centre of attention, you always have to watch what you're saying, Even with my friends who have teens that I quite like, I don't always want teenage conversation about teenage things.

My "no kids" policy came after we got a phone call from some friends saying they were in the area and had time to kill so could they stop by...with their toadler, so could we please make sure the dog was kept in another room, that the house was as childproof as possible, that we didn't open the French doors...I'm sorry but are you trying to tell me what to do IN MY OWN HOME? And to shut my pet away, who lives here by the way, because you are scared of dogs and have passed that fear on to your child so now she screams blue murder if a dog comes within 5 metres of her?

Hell. No. I told them the names of a couple child friendly cafes locally, I said I'm sorry our house isn't set up for toddlers, especially not with an hour's notice, and I'm not prepared to shut the dog away because it's his home too, I think you'd be more comfortable somewhere else. Fucking entitlement! I have a blanket policy now, if you have to tote your kids with you then we go out or I go to you and if the fuckers start screaming I'm not pitching in, I'm going home - that shit is your problem. I don't assume my dog is welcome in everyone's house - if my friends have no-pet policies, or cats (my dog will chase and attack cats, so not a good idea) then I don't bring him.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login