Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

The CF way back when

Posted by Peace 
The CF way back when
July 25, 2017
I saw a reference to this essay, so I found a link to it.

read me

I'm a nerd; I like to read things like this.

It's a long read, but basically a married woman in the early 20th century chose to work and be CF. The reasons she gave are the same reasons women today give: loss of professional status, being dominated by babies, loss of autonomy. Women back then had it much worse then women today, but some things never change.

It starts on p. 654.
Re: The CF way back when
July 27, 2017
Peace
I saw a reference to this essay, so I found a link to it.

read me

I'm a nerd; I like to read things like this.

It's a long read, but basically a married woman in the early 20th century chose to work and be CF. The reasons she gave are the same reasons women today give: loss of professional status, being dominated by babies, loss of autonomy. Women back then had it much worse then women today, but some things never change.

It starts on p. 654.

Page 659 in contrast: a married woman with tons of brats writes that her neighbors and friends came over to congratulate her when her baby died, because it relieved her of a burden. And being relieved of that burden was a blessing from Gawd.

That is exactly the opposite of what would happen today!

But then same woman goes on to talk about how many times they were in extreme poverty (8 brats lived) but at the end she says she'd do it all again. So, an early 20th century lifescripting moo.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login