Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Waahhh! My precious baby has defiled her skin! Ask Amy

Posted by lurker-derp 
Waahhh! My precious baby has defiled her skin! Ask Amy
July 19, 2017

Dear Amy: My 45-year-old daughter got a large tattoo on her inner arm. Imagine my surprise when I finally saw it. I said to her, “Is that real?” She laughed and said, “Yes.” Nothing further was said during my visit except for once when I stated, “I don’t like tattoos.”

That was three years ago. Life went on, and the tattoo dissolved, for me, into the background of our relationship.

Now, she has sent me pictures of her with her dogs, husband, friends, etc., and I am seeing another tattoo. We are planning another visit. What do I say, if anything?

She obviously wants me to notice. This is a woman who has a very responsible job, but is choosing (in my opinion) to defile her body.

It’s probably generational, but I can’t stand to see my daughter with tattoos. I just don’t know how to approach it. I think I got it wrong last time. Please tell me what to say.

— Tattoo Hater

Dear Hater: Sometimes I fall back on this: “If you can’t find something nice to say, don’t say anything at all.”

For your daughter, these tattoos are not a defilement, but a decoration. A statement. Part of her external identity. And yes, your reaction is largely generational.

Before preparing any response, absorb this reality: Your daughter is her own person. Her body belongs to her. She is not deliberately trying to upset you. She is just living her life.

You have choices regarding this relationship. You can choose to focus on something you see as a flaw and take it personally, or you can choose to love your daughter wholeheartedly, regardless of her adornment, and accept and embrace her, just as she is.

I guarantee the daughter knew her mother hated tattoos, but finally came to the conclusion that it's her body and she can do what she likes with it, as Amy reiterates in her response.

Also, 'defile her body'? Really? Get over yourself! When I saw the title "Mother tries to deal with daughter's defilement" I immediately thought maybe her daughter was raped by a family friend or something, but unless it's badly done, racist or done against the person's will, tattoos are hardly a defilement.
Re: Waahhh! My precious baby has defiled her skin! Ask Amy
July 22, 2017
Another one of these? And it's always the mothers...have we ever seen one of these where a father complained about a kid's tattoo?

Before preparing any response, absorb this reality: Your daughter is her own person. Her body belongs to her. She is not deliberately trying to upset you. She is just living her life.

Well, stop the fucking presses. eye rolling smiley It always amazes me how many breeders need reminded that their kids' lives aren't all about the parents.
July 22, 2017
Amy actually answered this one well. She is one who often thinks that family members should put up with shit from each other because blood is thicker than water and all that. Amy actually told off the mom for being judgy. Wow.

I have a feeling that the letter writer is a real piece of work in general, and is a real pain in the ass for her kids.
July 25, 2017
I doubt she obviously wants her mother to notice her tattoos. She probably shows them in the photograph because she likes them.
Bet everything and anything that happens in this family is all about the moo. If they're planning a visit most likely there is a long car or plane flight involved and I think that is by design.
July 25, 2017
kittehpeoples
Another one of these? And it's always the mothers...have we ever seen one of these where a father complained about a kid's tattoo?

Plenty of fathers don't like tattoos, but they won't write a letter to a newspaper to express their displeasure... and that actually makes all the sense in the world, considering no amount of wasted newsprint will remove the tattoo.
July 26, 2017
freya
I doubt she obviously wants her mother to notice her tattoos. She probably shows them in the photograph because she likes them.
Bet everything and anything that happens in this family is all about the moo. If they're planning a visit most likely there is a long car or plane flight involved and I think that is by design.

The daughter is 45, so I, too, doubt this is all about getting maternal attention. If some things are more appealing at 45 due to the knowledge that her parents would hate it, then that is some serious arrested development. As a teenager, I loved things that I knew my parents would hate and enjoyed them more because of that knowledge, but it was confined to books, music and boys. My parents would have hated teen pregnancy and a shaved head, but some things just aren't worth it.
July 28, 2017
randomcfchick
She is one who often thinks that family members should put up with shit from each other because blood is thicker than water and all that.

Such a common, fer shit phrase that has been bowdlerized for use by manipulative people.

The quote is "The blood of the covenant is thicker than the water of the womb."

In a nutshell, one's relationship with those to whom you are joined in covenant is to be considered of more value than the relationship with a person with whom one may have shared the womb or are connected by blood.
^^^

Fucking THIS! I have heard so many times that I need to tolerate bullying comments from my brother because he's FAMBLY or be nice to niece because she's FAMBLY and FAMBLY IS THE MOST IMPORTANT THING IN THE WORLD. Fuck that noise. How can people honestly believe that 1. Involuntary obligations are valid, and 2. You owe people something simply by virtue of being related, again, something you had no control over? Smh. I'm studying to get my BA now, and eventually I hope to become a psychologist. One of my relatives asked me if I got my degree would I help niece, because FAMBLY. Um, no. Not only should you never try to treat family / friends / people you know because your bias would skew your treatment, but also, you don't owe your family anything.

And lest lurking moos think me an ungrateful bint, let me say, it is not everyone in my family I have a problem with. I love my mom to death. However, I treat my family the same way I treat my friends, coworkers, and strangers; I don't put up with toxic relationships and I don't subject myself to anybody's company. Period.

Lock him up or put him down.
Stolen from Shiny.
July 29, 2017
FWIW I recently got a new tattoo, which unlike other tattoos, I didn't show my mum what I was getting beforehand. Her response? "How colourful and unusual, I think it'll grow on me smiling smiley" - should mention I sent her a picture via WhatsApp. Even if she didn't like it, she respects that it's my body and my choice, so she found something positive to say about it - take note lurking breeders, THAT is an appropriate reaction to your kid getting a non-offensive tattoo.
August 01, 2017
contemplativeintrovert
^^^

Fucking THIS! I have heard so many times that I need to tolerate bullying comments from my brother because he's FAMBLY or be nice to niece because she's FAMBLY and FAMBLY IS THE MOST IMPORTANT THING IN THE WORLD. Fuck that noise. How can people honestly believe that 1. Involuntary obligations are valid, and 2. You owe people something simply by virtue of being related, again, something you had no control over? Smh. I'm studying to get my BA now, and eventually I hope to become a psychologist. One of my relatives asked me if I got my degree would I help niece, because FAMBLY. Um, no. Not only should you never try to treat family / friends / people you know because your bias would skew your treatment, but also, you don't owe your family anything.

And lest lurking moos think me an ungrateful bint, let me say, it is not everyone in my family I have a problem with. I love my mom to death. However, I treat my family the same way I treat my friends, coworkers, and strangers; I don't put up with toxic relationships and I don't subject myself to anybody's company. Period.

I don't have any contact with any famblee now except my mum and siblings and very limited contact with my dad and stepmoo, like we're talking maybe twice a year or so. I don't have time for assholes, and I don't care if I'm related to them or not.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login