Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Tax on childless people under 40 proposed in China

Posted by blackpearl 
Tax on childless people under 40 proposed in China
August 28, 2018
Article: https://www.scmp.com/news/china/society/article/2160247/uproar-over-wacky-plan-start-baby-boom-china-taxing-adults-under

The usual reasons cited that who is going to take care of the old generation because women are not interested in marriage and having kids.
As far as i know China wasn't running out of people anytime soon.

The problem is that many people agree with such a tax (you should see the breeders in my country!) with total disregard of the environment. At least where i live they propose to raise taxes on almost everything considered bad for the environment. Except having kids. Even the green party who call themselves on the nature's side proposes very generous offers for people who calve.

So basically you want to lower the living standard by taxing the shit out of people but when it comes to breeding you have absolutely no problem with it. Worse, it is even rewarded.
Re: Tax on childless people under 40 proposed in China
August 28, 2018
First they implement a 1-child policy for ~40 years because they recognize the problems with overpopulation. Then they switch to a 2-child policy but people don't bite, because they've realized the benefits of having 0-1 children. So they eliminated the 2-child policy, and now want to punish people for not breeding the right amount. If the 1-child policy had been implemented with some kind of economic transition in place, they wouldn't be having this issue now.

China has more people than any other country in the world. The only way they could be said to be running out of people is compared to India, which is set to surpass China as the world's most populous country. (And even that population growth in India is mostly coming from the undeveloped regions; in the developed regions, the average number of children per woman is around 2.1)
August 28, 2018
Not sure why this is any more outrageous than the existing punitive measures on people who do not breed.
Most countries reward people who sluice by penalizing others who do not do so. They simply package it differently as "credits" versus "taxing adults who do not have kids."

Department of Defense used to be known as Department of War. Not everyone is fooled.

It is simply renamed and repackaged taxes similar to what is in the US. They give famblees tax credits, etc. so anyone not getting those freebies is in essence paying a tax for not having kids. I think governments hope all the minutiae and forms they throw at us will make us think we are not getting screwed or will cause us to be confused by the rhetoric. Not everyone is fooled.

And all parents qualify for claiming a dependent, and the dependent care tax credit and the tax credit. The EITC is the only one income sensitive. Single moos and duhs also get a Head of Household exemption.

And I've heard recent empty nesters whine more than once about losing all their credits.

1. Claim a dependent ($4050 per 2017 tax table, per child, per year)
2. Child tax credit ($1000 per child, per year)
3. Child and Dependent Care Tax Credit (up to $3000 per year for day care expenses)
4. Head of Household for single moos and duhs ($9,350 versus $6,350 standard exemption for adults)
4. Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) - for 2018
$15,270 with no Qualifying Children ($20,950 if married filing jointly)*
$40,320 with one Qualifying Child ($46,010 if married filing jointly)
$45,802 with two Qualifying Children ($51,492 if married filing jointly)
$49,194 with three or more Qualifying Children ($54,884 if married filing jointly)

*People without kids do qualify for the EITC but not they have to make less than half of a parent with one kid to qualify at around $7.34 an hour. A parent can make up to around $19.38 an hour and still qualify for this credit. So, you can qualify without kids but you have to earn minimum wage or less. A parent qualifies at a middle class income.

Most apartments are only about $100 to $200 more expensive for a 2 bedroom, so allowing parents to make nearly triple what a single person makes and still qualify for benefits isn't justified. And the government is well aware that most single people just starting out in life without kids will make just enough to qualify for zilch.
August 29, 2018
Let's also not forget school taxes, even though we have no kids in school. Our property taxes are close to $10,000 a year, with 85% going to the school district.
August 29, 2018
quiltergirl
Let's also not forget school taxes, even though we have no kids in school. Our property taxes are close to $10,000 a year, with 85% going to the school district.

Sorry for leaving that out quiltergirl. Property taxes are a big one.
August 29, 2018
@freya
Holy s*it! That's basically robbery. We have taxes in general which are paid from salaries as well as pensions and unemployment money and i'm well aware that lots of it are going to people with kids for all kinds of benefits. There are also unfair parts in the tax law as an unmarried couple with kids will get more tax deductions than an unmarried couple without kids. Also you need to make your testament quite clear in case you don't have kids because the state can get everything you own. If your spouse dies and you are under 50 and childless you don't get any widow pension.

When it comes to strictly unemployment money, the amount is the same kids or not but of course if you have kids you will still get all kinds of child support money. You can skip queuing at the doctor or in other places if you have kids. People with kids have priority when looking for housing in certain areas, also. If you are really unlucky and drop on welfare, having kids is a big plus.

And not very long ago my country had the spinster tax.

Of course breeders will just yell that their kids will pay my pension but let's say you work most of your life. Most of taxes will go to them and perhaps everybody with a sane mind would have preferred those taxes in their private pension fund.
August 29, 2018
yurble
First they implement a 1-child policy for ~40 years because they recognize the problems with overpopulation. Then they switch to a 2-child policy but people don't bite, because they've realized the benefits of having 0-1 children. So they eliminated the 2-child policy, and now want to punish people for not breeding the right amount. If the 1-child policy had been implemented with some kind of economic transition in place, they wouldn't be having this issue now.

China has more people than any other country in the world. The only way they could be said to be running out of people is compared to India, which is set to surpass China as the world's most populous country. (And even that population growth in India is mostly coming from the undeveloped regions; in the developed regions, the average number of children per woman is around 2.1)

If enough women shut down the baby machine populations can crash quickly. China's women realized that they get a shit deal if they shit out a kid and decided "No thanks". The next generation has effectively dried up.

There won't be enough kids to pay for all the old farts that will flood the nation with their hands out. This tax is a calculated attempt to stop the horse before it left the barn. Sorry, but that stall's empty, as are the uteruses.

+++++++++++++

Passive Aggressive
Master Of Anti-brat
Excuses!
August 30, 2018
freya
quiltergirl

Sorry for leaving that out quiltergirl. Property taxes are a big one.

I cuss up a storm every time I have to send in our property tax payments. We have almost no town services, not even trash pickup. We pay for private pickup. We do have nice roads, though, and the town is usually on top of snow plowing. And you can be damn sure that we have the police do a vacation check every time we go out of town.
August 30, 2018
Yeah, ITA about the property tax. My tax isn't the worst, but it is costly and a lot of it goes to the school system. I have to say that we have a good local hospital, and our garbage pickup is included. They also take good care of the street here, and regularly sweep it to keep it clean.

I think that if you don't have loaves, then you shouldn't have to pay for schools. If I'm not using the service, why should I pay for it? While I do agree that it's in all our best interest to educate kids, I don't feel I should have to pay. Let the breeders be taxed for that!
August 30, 2018
Our property taxes on a 3 bedroom house here are $13k/year. 66% of that goes directly into the school coffers. We do have other services, like free local jitneys, trash, roads, free July 4 activities for all, recycle centers, etc...and good police, however all those services come out of the 33% that doesn't go to the schools.

I don't want to think of Federal taxes for 2018, because Chump took away a LOT of our deductions to stick it to blue states.
August 30, 2018
Because I'm disabled I don't pay taxes or anything besides sales tax. But I sure understand resentment against CF having to pay babysitting fees to brat sitters.

+++++++++++++

Passive Aggressive
Master Of Anti-brat
Excuses!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login