Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Neighbors call po-po becuz mom is making kid a 'slave'

Posted by cfuter 
Neighbors call po-po becuz mom is making kid a 'slave'
February 11, 2019
Gosh, a kid actually helping an adult can't do it outta kindness...she must be a slave!

Kid volunteers to help, neighbors report mom.

https://reason.com/blog/2019/01/09/mom-neighbor-ad-9-year-old-child-labor

A mother in Woodinville, Washington, posted an advertisement on behalf of her 9-year-old daughter, Sarah, who was willing to do housework—laundry, dishes, etc.—for neighborhood moms who needed help. Six hours later, the cops showed up to make sure Sarah wasn't being abused or worked to death.

That's according to Christina Behar, Sarah's mom, who wrote me a letter about the incident.

"Apparently the ad generated multiple phone calls from paranoid neighbors thinking I was using my child as a slave," wrote Behar.

This should spark some discussion of what we lose when we treat kids as incompetent or endangered, even though they're quite ready to take on some responsibility in "the real world." As that New York Times piece on the relentless demands of modern parenting made clear, many of us, wealthy or not, spend a whole lot of time and cash on our kids' extracurricular "enrichment." Let's remember that making some money, dealing with some challenges, and assuming some responsibility are enriching childhood activities, too.
Re: Neighbors call po-po becuz mom is making kid a 'slave'
February 11, 2019
Neighbors calling the police is a bit over dramatic, why not disregard the ad and move on with their day instead?
Being bizzy mahms and all it would make sense to vote with their feet. There seems to be a inverse proportion between the bizzy mahm talk and flair for drama, the bizzier she broadcasts herself to be the more drama she is entangled in. Authentic busy adults are too preoccupied to participate in drama.
February 12, 2019
Heaven forbid someone actually teach his/her kids to work for something.

This is why the West is losing, why many of the U.S. PhD programs are filled with people from the Third World. The average 9 year old street urchin in Calcutta is 100 times smarter than the average privileged, pampered 9 year old American who has never had to work for anything.
February 12, 2019
Unpopular Opinion. Why are you advertising your 9 year old child's services on Craigslist? Sure kids should have chores. Sure they should be dispatched to shovel the neighbor's driveway. But it's fucked up to send a little kid around to strangers houses to do their laundry and dishes. That's not helping, that is in fact slavery. If moos need help they can hire a maid or pay the kid as a mother's helper.
February 12, 2019
Haha, wow, I never thought of chores and simple tasks to be slave labor. The kid sounds like a good kid and the mom sounds like a good parent. A little work won't kill a kid, but it's quite telling how much things have changed when this was considered a totally normal way for a kid to make a couple bucks a couple decades ago and now it's considered child abuse. I know this kid was doing it for free, but is the idea of chores that removed that it's seen as some kind of foreign concept now? Dear lord, every generation is more and more fucked. I'm surprised some kids can breathe on their own without needing their parents or phones to do it for them.

Though it is a little strange that she's sending her kid out to total strangers' houses to do shit for free. I mean work ethic is great, but some compensation for it would be ideal.
February 12, 2019
I hate to say this, but I actually agree with cfinboston. If the kid is expected to do the chores for the neighbors, the very least is that she should be paid for doing it. I remember two scenarios when I was a kid.

One was when I was around 7 or 8, my aunt would throw these huge parties at her house, and I was expected to help her clean the house and then serve the guests. These were parties with a lot of people, and I was expected not only to serve the guests the appetizers, but pour them alcoholic drinks. I had to do that while people ooohed and ahhhed about how cute it was to see a little girl serve them booze out of a silver punch bowl. Afterwards, I was told to help clean up the dishes and put them in the dishwasher, and help tidy the rest of the house. My aunt had a lot of money at the time, but I didn't get anything for what I did. I hated doing it, but it was expected of me to do this. Not just one party, but quite a few from what I remember. I didn't really know what I was doing with the drinks, so on a lot of occasions, people got really piss drunk. That I would consider some form of child slavery. And damned inappropriate.

The second scenario was when I would go to my mom's hair salon on Saturdays, because she didn't have money to pay a babysitter to watch me. I would get the ladies their coffee and magazine while they were under the dryer, sweep up the hair, fold the towels out of the laundry, etc. but I was paid a small bit of money to do this. I actually enjoyed it, because I had a chance to talk to the ladies and go to the mall after I was done and buy myself something for the money I earned that day. It was fun. When I got a bit older, I got my hair done.

I think that there's no harm in letting the daughter do these things if she wants to, but she should be paid for her work. It's not really fair to expect a nine-year-old girl to go to other people's houses, clean and do laundry, and not expect anything in return for her effort.

ETA: I'd also not be advertising the kid for free services on Craigslist. Considering all of the crimes that have happened from there, I don't think it's particularly safe for her to do this.
February 12, 2019
mumofsixbirds

ETA: I'd also not be advertising the kid for free services on Craigslist. Considering all of the crimes that have happened from there, I don't think it's particularly safe for her to do this.

There's also the fact we all know moos are going to take advantage of the situation. They'll probably expect the kid to drop by every day after school to do laundry while moo drinks chardonnay and watches her stories.

Chores are what you do for your own family. Paid work is when you do it for others. Also the kid is NINE. What happens if some perv sees this?
February 12, 2019
I assumed this was for pay. If she wants to do this for some extra $$$ and the parents know the neighbors then it is ok, but if t was on Craiglist that means it is the usual suburban neighborhood where everone is a stranger and who knows what could happen to her. We used to hire the kids next door for lawn mowing as they had a sit on mower for $20. They need to be paid fairly.
February 12, 2019
My comments were in response to paid labor. The article read "Letting kids do some work for money isn't making them into slaves. It's making them into adults. That shouldn't be a crime." I read that part but skimmed over the rest, including where the cop said the ad should not ask the kid to be paid. My bad.

I'm all for part time teenage jobs. But in this case, she's teaching her daughter that her time isn't worth anything, IMO. Perhaps also instilling in her that all she is fit to do is be a future Mommy. I wonder if Homeschool Mommy would be sending her boys out for childcare duties and household chores....somehow I doubt it.

She should be encouraging her daughter to do something she likes in her spare time, perhaps something educational, like reading. (not the Bible.)
February 12, 2019
I hate to say it, but I'm on the side of the busybodies. Trying to get strangers to have your nine year old do housework for them is weird, let alone for no pay. I'd also worry about the local chester having a 'job' for the kid.
February 12, 2019
A lot of these homeschoolers are raging fundie types who want it to be the year 1732 again. Moo wants the daughter to get used to being a house slave with 6 kids. She probably doesn't want her to socialize with normal kids as she may get ideas of female independence and we can't have that
February 12, 2019
cfdavep
I assumed this was for pay. If she wants to do this for some extra $$$ and the parents know the neighbors then it is ok, but if t was on Craiglist that means it is the usual suburban neighborhood where everone is a stranger and who knows what could happen to her. We used to hire the kids next door for lawn mowing as they had a sit on mower for $20. They need to be paid fairly.

I also assumed she was to be paid. I don't condone free labor from anyone regardless of their age. Especially if it is potentially motivated out of the virtue signalling of one or more parent.

I was that unpaid kid once and knew plenty of others that were also unpaid kids.
February 12, 2019
mumofsixbirds
I hate to say this, but I actually agree with cfinboston. If the kid is expected to do the chores for the neighbors, the very least is that she should be paid for doing it. I remember two scenarios when I was a kid.

One was when I was around 7 or 8, my aunt would throw these huge parties at her house, and I was expected to help her clean the house and then serve the guests. These were parties with a lot of people, and I was expected not only to serve the guests the appetizers, but pour them alcoholic drinks. I had to do that while people ooohed and ahhhed about how cute it was to see a little girl serve them booze out of a silver punch bowl. Afterwards, I was told to help clean up the dishes and put them in the dishwasher, and help tidy the rest of the house. My aunt had a lot of money at the time, but I didn't get anything for what I did. I hated doing it, but it was expected of me to do this. Not just one party, but quite a few from what I remember. I didn't really know what I was doing with the drinks, so on a lot of occasions, people got really piss drunk. That I would consider some form of child slavery. And damned inappropriate.

The second scenario was when I would go to my mom's hair salon on Saturdays, because she didn't have money to pay a babysitter to watch me. I would get the ladies their coffee and magazine while they were under the dryer, sweep up the hair, fold the towels out of the laundry, etc. but I was paid a small bit of money to do this. I actually enjoyed it, because I had a chance to talk to the ladies and go to the mall after I was done and buy myself something for the money I earned that day. It was fun. When I got a bit older, I got my hair done.

I think that there's no harm in letting the daughter do these things if she wants to, but she should be paid for her work. It's not really fair to expect a nine-year-old girl to go to other people's houses, clean and do laundry, and not expect anything in return for her effort.

What you experienced is abuse mumofsixbirds. Sorry to hear you endured this. It would be one thing if your aunt offered to pay you to clean her house but she didn't. And having you at an adult party and serving drinks to adults is just vile and something really bad could have easily happened to you.
February 13, 2019
Not to mention a child serving alcoholic drinks is illegal. I don’t know the laws in Canada, but in the U.S., you can’t even carry an alcoholic drink from the bar to a table as a server until you’re 18.

And not only could have something terrible happened to you, but given that you were 7-8 years old, you don’t know how to pour drinks. As you said, you poured a lot and people got drunk as hell. If something happened to any of the attendees, your aunt would have been 100% liable because she put a child in charge of alcohol.

------------------------------------------------------------
"Why children take so long to grow? They eat and drink like pig and give nothing back. Must find way to accelerate process..."
- Dr. Yi Suchong, Bioshock

"Society does not need more children; but it does need more loved children. Quite literally, we cannot afford unloved children - but we pay heavily for them every day. There should not be the slightest communal concern when a woman elects to destroy the life of her thousandth-of-an-ounce embryo. But all society should rise up in alarm when it hears that a baby that is not wanted is about to be born."
- Garrett Hardin

"I feel like there's a message involved here somehow, but then I couldn't stop laughing at all the plotholes, like the part when North Korea has food."
- Youtube commentor referring to a North Korean cartoon.

"Reality is a bitch when it slowly crawls out of your vagina and shits in your lap."
- Reddit comment

"Bitch wants a baby, so we're gonna fuck now. #bareback"
- Cambion

Oh whatever. Abortion doctors are crimestoppers."
- Miss Hannigan
February 15, 2019
I guess that would be considered abusive. If someone tried to force some little kid into serving alcoholic beverages, I'm sure they'd be charged with something. This all took place in the 70s, but I don't know if that makes any sort of difference.

It's just the tip of the iceberg for what my entire childhood was like, most of it was pretty bad.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login