Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

CF woman can't get services from PP

Posted by cfdavep 
CF woman can't get services from PP
February 15, 2019
https://old.reddit.com/r/childfree/comments/aqz1t9/sterilized_low_income_childfree_people_be_careful/

An unemployed 24 year old girl who had a tubal at 22 was told she does not qualify for what Planned Parenthood offers. She has no insurance and they told her because of the tubal to basically hit the road. This is weird. Is PP a single moo thing?
Re: CF woman can't get services from PP
February 15, 2019
They must figure that since she could afford what is essentially a cosmetic procedure, she can afford normal-priced breast/gynecological care at a normal-priced hospital. That, or they just see her as a reproductive dead end and not worth bothering with.

Apparently it's not just her. Based on some of the comments, it seems both men and women become ineligible for reduced cost reproductive care if they've been sterilized. Even though the program that deals with making such care affordable (Family PACT) offers fucking sterilization! I bet they don't tell people they don't qualify for reduced cost care if they get snipped either.

I expect that kind of indifference from hospital OB/GYNs who don't give a fuck about sterilized patients because your busted plumbing means they can't make pre-natal money off you. But for Planned Parenthood to pull that shit is seriously fucked up. The whole reason they exist is to help poor women afford reproductive care. I didn't know they discriminated based on fertility.
February 15, 2019
Maybe the nurse is a pro-life type who works there as it is a job, hates the CF, and lied about this "policy"
February 16, 2019
I've had a problem with PP for a long time. About 11 years ago I looked into them for sterilization. They offered info online but my limited research suggested that they would not refer for tubals but would do vasectomies in-house. I actually set up an appointment for my then-husband to go in and talk to them about a vasectomy. They completely blew me off, and when I called to confirm the appointment around the date it was supposed to happen they were rude and acted like they had no idea what I was talking about*. I feel that their attitude is one of "you don't want baybees YET" and I know it's controversial to hate on them because they do offer low-cost services in areas where they are otherwise hard to obtain, but I do have my own personal views on PP and my experience does affect how I perceive them.

*I ended up getting a tubal with my private insurance with an amazing doctor but I was hesitant to go that route at the time due to all the stories I'd heard about women being told no and getting referred for psych consults as a necessity before getting approved (and I lived in Texas at the time). My ex-husband - after divorce - lamented that he'd never had a famblee so his true colors were exposed about why he never cared to follow through with the agreement to get a V but that's a whole other story...
February 16, 2019
I guess that is why they call it Planned Parenthood. Everyone is supposed to be planning parenthood. Maybe they fear funding loss if they do tubals, which is scary
February 16, 2019
Sadly, they probably figure that someone who's sterilized is no longer at high risk for having/causing unplanned pregnancies--and that's what they're trying to prevent. Being sterilized doesn't mean one suddenly never winds up poor and needing health care, though. That sucks. They shouldn't be doing that.

@cfdavep...they definitely aren't in the mindset that everyone should be planning parenthood. One reason my husband and I went to them for sterilization options was there was no conflict of interest. We got zero bullshit from them. They do indeed do tubals. We went with the V option because it's cheaper and lower risk.
February 16, 2019
This story is disturbing on another level.

The right-wing pro-life nuts always paint Planned Parenthood (PP) as an abortion mill and not much more. In the past others here have noted that they will perform or will refer for sterilizations, so the critics have been wrong.

Now it seems the latter isn't quite so true. If PP can't be bothered about sterilizations or those who have had them, then some would suggest the pro-life nuts might be right and PP would rather do abortions. The organization supposedly gets federal subsidies for that, but what about subsidies for PP to perform sterilization and provide services afterward? Are there none?

I hope the story is just a flash in the pan and not typical of current PP policy nationwide.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login