Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

The More Children a Woman Has, the More Slowly She Will Age, Study Suggests

Posted by LoveToLurk 
https://people.com/parents/study-shows-more-kids-slower-aging/

Yeah, I’m gonna have to go ahead and say I doubt the veracity of this claim.
sheesh! All you have to do is open your eyes to know this is Bull! Who published this idea? The Katlick church?
In my class at uni is a woman two years older than me, but she has two kids so she looks 15 years older than I do (people often mistake me for being about 6 years younger than I am).
Yeah okay, is that why damn near every single parent I've ever known looks 10-20 years older than their actual age? I don't mean just aging visibly either. Kids are a MASSIVE source of long-term stress and being under such stress for years and years will take its toll physically too, not to mention parents attempting to find relief from that stress in the form of substances (legit prescription or recreational) or generally risky behaviors that they may not have ever pursued had their kids not made them hate their lives.

Sounds like breeder propaganda targeting female insecurities. Also, do brats have the same anti-aging effects on men? Or just women? If so, why do only women reap the benefits? Probably because this is a pile of horse shit.
This 'study' is yet another in a long line of poorly constructed studies that get attention-grabbing headlines that media outlets love to run. The study size is ridiculously small and localized - 75 indigenous Guatemalan women from two neighboring areas. The study length is ridiculously small (13 years) for a study speculating on an average female lifespan (which is about 80). No mention about how they countered bias like excluding direct family relations - which can skew the study results. Focusing on one aspect of ageing (telomeres), which have not been proven to be conclusively related to ageing (https://learn.genetics.utah.edu/content/basics/telomeres/), and they've found that even in the centenarians (people living 100>winking smiley their telomeres length don't determine their longevity. Finally, there's far more genetic and environmental/social influences that affect lifespan - hell look at the Brit Royals, who are the genetically equivalent of the town in the movie Deliverance, still are able to live well into their 90's simply due to being obscenely well looked after.

Let's have a closer look at the authors of this speculative piece of tripe;

Dr. Pablo Nepomnaschy is an assistant professor and the director of the Maternal and Child Health Laboratory in the Faculty of Health Sciences at Simon Fraser University (SFU). He is also an affiliate investigator in the Child & Family Research Institute and a funding member of the Human Evolutionary Studies Program (HESP). His research program is currently funded by the Canadian Institutes of Health Research, Michael Smith Foundation for Health Research, the Dr. Djavad Mowafaghian Child Health Foundation Endowment Fund, SFU’s vice president, the PARC/PSC/Boettner Institute at the University of Pennsylvania (USA), and HESP.

and

Cindy’s primary research interests focus on the interactions between the stress and reproductive axes in determining developmental trajectories across the lifespan, with a concentration on how these interactions influence normal age-associated cognitive decline as well as risk for neurodegenerative diseases, such as Alzheimer’s disease.

Bingo! Pro-natalist, vested interest much?!?

TLgrinning smileyR - it's a bull shitting study to back up pro-natalism.
Ugh. How embarrassing that this stupid study comes from SFU. I agree with Cambion here. I'm 50 years old, and have often been mistaken for a much younger woman. I've even had younger women ask me what my 'secret' was, but I'm usually hesitant to tell them that I chose not to have kids, and I believe that it prevented a lot of premature aging. I don't tell them that, because I'm afraid of getting my head ripped off. I usually tell them that I use good skin care, and stay out of the sun, which are both true.

I've seen what sluicing can do to women. It absolutely wrecks them from the inside out. The depletion of vital nutrients for nine months when they're carrying the parasite would accelerate the aging process as far as I can tell. Also, the fact that it rips out of your body, and then you have to deal with the stress of raising it. Multiply this by how many times they choose to whelp.

Nope, I have to disagree with this study. Most moos look a helluva lot older than their actual age. There is the rare exception to the rule which could have something to do with genetics, but most of them look pretty haggard to me.
lurker-derp
In my class at uni is a woman two years older than me, but she has two kids so she looks 15 years older than I do (people often mistake me for being about 6 years younger than I am).

I'm 50 years old and I have been mistaken for 28. I can't tell you how many times some medical professional has given me the 'jaw on the floor' routine when I tell him or her about my menopause issues. My life is bratless.

+++++++++++++

Passive Aggressive
Master Of Anti-brat
Excuses!
it's amazing how they applaud these studies as, was pointed out, use such a small group that (in normal circumstances) would be disregarded as reliable. Some guy did a study, also using small groups (1000 each) that proved both stockholm syndrome and crab in bucket bingos which was disregarded for using small groups. the interesting thing about his study is he got the same results with each group. wish I could remember where it was.

two cents ¢¢

CERTIFIED HOSEHEAD!!!

people (especially women) do not give ONE DAMN about what they inflict on children and I defy anyone to prove me wrong

Dysfunctional relationships almost always have a child. The more dysfunctional, the more children.

The selfish wants of adults outweigh the needs of the child.

Some mistakes cannot be fixed, but some mistakes can be 'fixed'.

People who say they sleep like a baby usually don't have one. Leo J. Burke

Adoption agencies have strict criteria (usually). Breeders, whose combined IQ's would barely hit triple digits, have none.
Yeah, gonna call bs on that study.

Aging is subject to a lot of factors, including genes...but kids do NOT help.

I know one childed couple where she has aged in a pretty normal fashion, maybe slightly slower than average for a mom...but he looks about fifteen years older than her (and he's actually 1.5 yrs younger!).
This quote especially stands out to me, like a turd in a overly saccharined bowl of punch laced with cyanide:

Article
Nepomnaschy explained that women with more kids tend to receive more support from outside sources, like relatives and friends, which can help increase the amount of metabolic energy she has.

This, in turn, contributes to tissue upkeep and slows down aging.

Sooooo, according to this logic the more "support" a woman has the more metabolic energy a woman has. A married woman with several brats would waste even less energy because she has the support of her spouse.
A woman with one kid would live longer than women with multiple kids because she spent less years wasting metabolic energy on brats especially if she has the support of others. A woman with no kids would forego all this wasting of metabolic energy.

Right below the study is this "related" headline!

RELATED: Moms of Three Are More Stressed Than Those With Any Other Number of Children, Survey Finds
(hyperlink not included)

hysterical laughter drooling stupification

So, I guess a woman has to have more children but never just three! Birth rate in the States is at an average of 1.9, so is a ploy to try to get women to have a minimum of four children?

There are only 15 Million search results for impact of stress on metabolic energy. And I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that every single one of these studies finds the correlation to be negative.

Next question is, did the author or editor link these on purpose to potentially alert people to the stupidity of this article or was this the truth slipping out of someone's subconscious?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login