Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Disclosure of genetic information or grandbabies?

Posted by yurble 
Disclosure of genetic information or grandbabies?
August 11, 2019
There's a lawsuit in the UK right now about whether people who might have genetic diseases deserve to be told. The case stems from a man who had Huntington's disease, who refused to let the medical provider inform his daughter that she had a 50% chance of having inherited it...because she was pregnant and he thought she would get an abortion.

Anything for the grandbabies to exist, eh? Fuck their quality of life. If she had known that she had the gene (as she does), she could have done genetic counseling to ensure that she wouldn't have a child with it, or perhaps even made a different decision about whether she wanted to have children, knowing that they'd have to watch their mother die of a horrible disease, even if they themselves didn't inherit it.

Of course the woman's father was a narcissistic asshole to start with - he murdered her mother but was found guilty of manslaughter rather than murder due to diminished responsibility arising from his illness. So she not only has to deal now with the death sentence of a gene for Huntington's and the concern that her daughter carries it, but also had to come to terms with the fact that her father for some unknown (at the time) reason got a lighter punishment for killing her mother.

She is now suing the medical provider claiming they failed on three counts: first, their duty of care to her as a patient (since she was participating in a family counseling scheme, she maintains she was a patient), second, the care required of health care professionals (when injury could arise to a third party from not knowing a person's diagnosis), and thirdly, a wrongful birth suit, as she claims that as a single mother she would have had an abortion if she'd tested positive because she "would have wished to prevent the risk of her being dependent upon her child, or dying, leaving her child an orphan, and the risk that her child would inherit the condition."
Re: Disclosure of genetic information or grandbabies?
August 11, 2019
What a fucking nightmare. The father was a monster, obviously. I hope she's able to nail that "medical provider" to the wall.
August 11, 2019
There are more than enough medical professionals that will forget all about being "professional" when it comes to their feelings, especially when it comes to that whining potential grandpa.
August 11, 2019
isn't there a test now for this ailment... but how many tests can one afford to determine what deleterious genes we may or may not have.

last I heard they hadn't found the gene, but they have found a marker that is always there when the huntingtons gene is there.

and he got off because of 'illness'. God damned asshole jerks. Defining this stuff as 'illness' can keep people trapped in relationships that they should walk away from. And this piece of shit duh could get counseling to change. he just doesn't want to because, in his shriveled dick brain, there is nothing wrong with him.

two cents ΒΆΒΆ

CERTIFIED HOSEHEAD!!!

people (especially women) do not give ONE DAMN about what they inflict on children and I defy anyone to prove me wrong

Dysfunctional relationships almost always have a child. The more dysfunctional, the more children.

The selfish wants of adults outweigh the needs of the child.

Some mistakes cannot be fixed, but some mistakes can be 'fixed'.

People who say they sleep like a baby usually don't have one. Leo J. Burke

Adoption agencies have strict criteria (usually). Breeders, whose combined IQ's would barely hit triple digits, have none.
August 11, 2019
twocents
isn't there a test now for this ailment... but how many tests can one afford to determine what deleterious genes we may or may not have.

It makes zero sense to test people randomly for this disease and that, because of cost, but I think it makes a lot of sense to test when it's a nasty disease, there's a family history of it, and it is known to be hereditary. In other words, this woman should have had the opportunity to be tested as soon as her father was diagnosed.

twocents
and he got off because of 'illness'. God damned asshole jerks. Defining this stuff as 'illness' can keep people trapped in relationships that they should walk away from. And this piece of shit duh could get counseling to change. he just doesn't want to because, in his shriveled dick brain, there is nothing wrong with him.

I think the way he tried to withhold information from his daughter in order to affect her choices makes it clear that he always was a controlling, manipulative asshole. I would not be surprised if the murder happened when the wife dared to stand up to him.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login