Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Birth control access has contributed to women's wage increases, says new study

Posted by freya 
And in other news, water is wet.

What is surprising is the fact that there are so many darn new studies that prove the obvious. drooling stupification

Highlights:

"New" study says
On the other hand, an early birth has been shown to disrupt or delay women's ability to pursue secondary schooling and can have significant effects on their earning potential.

I think a more interesting study would be exactly how many people that are 18 or older aren't aware of this?

"New" study says
For example, a 2011 study found that women who have their first child fresh out of high school earn 30 fewer college credits than those who waited seven or more years to have kids. Each subsequent birth can further those effects, particularly for low-income households, according to the report.

There can be options for low-income households to attend college/training but not sure how publicized this is.

"New" study says
Also, a study published in 2018 found that having children decreases women's earnings in Denmark over time, but not men's. When they had children, men's incomes still stayed on par with their peers who had no children.

Bernstein and Jones said the study is important because "the knowledge that [a woman] will have the future ability to control whether and when to have a child can shape a young woman's aspirations and life plans."

Contraceptives give women the freedom to invest in their human capital, and develop economic security, they added.

I'd be embarrassed to be Bernstein and Jones because one only need know of one woman who was a pregnant teenager, one unwed mother who is in the workforce or similar to be aware of this. The part about Denmark really isn't surprising as having children seems to universally decreases earnings for women over time but not men. It would be more interesting to see if there are any countries where the situation is reversed and men with kind are the ones that experience decreased earnings.

I think everyone would be better off if they would kill these "studies" and give the money to poor people who aren't eligible for freebies (because they have no kids).

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/career/birth-control-access-has-contributed-to-womens-wage-increases-says-new-study/ar-AAHTVt2#page=2
freya
"New" study says
On the other hand, an early birth has been shown to disrupt or delay women's ability to pursue secondary schooling and can have significant effects on their earning potential.

I think a more interesting study would be exactly how many people that are 18 or older aren't aware of this?

I agree with you, but the answer would probably be really depressing. Plus I'm sure there are plenty of regretful breeders and antichoicers who have convinced themselves that procreating early on doesn't negatively impact a woman's life at all...after all, brats are a blessing, no matter when you have them! Why else force 12 year olds to be mothers?
Call me jaded, but I think that decreasing earning potential for women is just another reason certain rightwing politicians and fundies want to ban birth control and abortion. These types want to keep women dependent and subservient on men. What better way to do this than force her to have unwanted kids and watch her wages go down?

A male friend in the South said it succinctly: Women have choices today. They don't have to stay with some loser man. They can afford to be picky and choosy, because they can support themselves. An average Joe who could get the hot girl many years ago can't have her today, because she has choices.

If you take away those choices and opportunities, then it's a whole different level.
The GOP is actively removing any and all rights women, children, and LGBT have. They will force women back to have ten kids each if possible and letting Grandma and Grandpa die in the streets. Don't think Vets are safe either. Once a vet is no longer young and fight ready, he or she is a bit of useless garbage to set to the curb for garbage pick up.

+++++++++++++

Passive Aggressive
Master Of Anti-brat
Excuses!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login