Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

11,000 experts sign a declaration for population control

Posted by yurble 
11,000 experts sign a declaration for population control
December 01, 2019
Re: 11,000 experts sign a declaration for population control
December 02, 2019
I knew at age 11 (I'm 70 now) that the majority of environmental problems were caused by human overpopulation. The fact that it has taken this long for scientists to speak to the problem doesn't bode well for it's solution.
December 02, 2019
Oh, I'm not holding my breath. Everyone knew about this problem in the 70s, and spoke about it, then it became taboo once the economic policies started to need warm bodies.
December 04, 2019
I wouldn't be surprised at all if most of the scientists signing this have brats.

As long as it is socially acceptable to sluice and then claim to be an environmentalist because (insert 3-4 lame reasons) the problem isn't going much of anywhere.

It doesn't help that there are people out there who now see having more than 2 kids as being a status symbol. Or people who see having kids in general as a status symbol.

There are way too many adults who see themselves as the exception of the rule, they can sluice because they are special!
December 04, 2019
There's simply too much money and energy invested in the status quo. So long as consumption-based capitalism is a thing, there will never be any meaningful change.
December 04, 2019
I think it'd be best to give people big tax incentives to not breed rather than doing it for people who do. There is no bigger motivator than money, and if you can pay people to get sterilized and not have kids, they'll probably think a lot harder about breeding. But then I'm sure we'd see a surge of mommy blogs from women who choose to breed anyway who think they're such edgy rebels because they're the only ones keeping the species alive.

Unfortunately, I think any laws that could possibly be put into effect to limit people's reproductive habits would come pretty goddamn close to violating bodily autonomy, like a one-child policy, forced sterilization, or being required to abort sick fetuses. As much as that would help the planet, I don't know if I can justify it when I'm so against such things in the opposite direction (anti-abortion laws, etc.).

I stand by the concept of paying people not to breed, and also making it so it's not as easy to reproduce, like not giving more welfare benefits to someone who breeds while on the dole and no more fertility treatments. This way, they still have a choice.
December 04, 2019
Cambion
I think it'd be best to give people big tax incentives to not breed rather than doing it for people who do. There is no bigger motivator than money, and if you can pay people to get sterilized and not have kids, they'll probably think a lot harder about breeding. But then I'm sure we'd see a surge of mommy blogs from women who choose to breed anyway who think they're such edgy rebels because they're the only ones keeping the species alive.

Unfortunately, I think any laws that could possibly be put into effect to limit people's reproductive habits would come pretty goddamn close to violating bodily autonomy, like a one-child policy, forced sterilization, or being required to abort sick fetuses. As much as that would help the planet, I don't know if I can justify it when I'm so against such things in the opposite direction (anti-abortion laws, etc.).

I stand by the concept of paying people not to breed, and also making it so it's not as easy to reproduce, like not giving more welfare benefits to someone who breeds while on the dole and no more fertility treatments. This way, they still have a choice.

The only problem is the USA's going in the other direction encouraging and in some cases forcing women to breed loaves they don't want.

+++++++++++++

Passive Aggressive
Master Of Anti-brat
Excuses!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login