Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

"My Secret Grief. Over 35, Single and Childless" (article)

Posted by kidlesskim 
"My Secret Grief. Over 35, Single and Childless" (article)
March 31, 2012
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/melanie-notkin/my-secret-grief-over-35-s_b_1202808.html

Pathetic childLESS blog-article and my commentary in red:

The grief hit me in my mid-thirties without warning. It amazes me how they just toss around the word "grief" about something as unimportant as they just haven't sluiced a loaf. It makes me wonder if they have ever actually experienced true grief. Somehow I doubt that.shrug

By all appearances, my life was fantastic, or pretty close. I had a great job in New York City, good friends, some good dates. But then there were times, lonely days and nights, when I would cry. I would sob. I would lie in bed awake for hours, tears running onto my pillow. I was in mourning, but I didn't know it. 'Mourning" over something that isn't which she has had TOTAL control over? If it was THAT important, she could have already shat a litter of loaves.confused smiley

Having experienced the same feeling for a few years, I now know the grief was over being childless, or more poignantly, over the loss of the baby I never held in my arms. By that point in my life I had expected to be married and a mother to at least two kids. I was far from it, still very single, no kids. Passing by a new mother and her infant strolling down Broadway would rattle my womb. Even seeing a woman swollen from seven or eight months of pregnancy would make my petite frame feel invisible and small. The sadness I'd feel around my period was deeper than hormonal. I was mourning the loss of one more chance at the family life I always dreamed of. God, "Rattle her womb", make her feel "invisible"? This woman is psychotic and a tad on the dramatic side, I'd say.:crz

And I grieved alone.Perhaps she wouldn't be alone if she spent less time grieving, mourning, and bawling into her pillow every night instead of out enjoying life and pursuing her hobbies and interests with like minded individuals. eye rolling smiley

Grief over not being able to have children is acceptable for couples going through biological infertility. Grief over childlessness for a single woman in her thirties and forties is not as accepted. Instead, it's assumed we just don't understand that our fertility has a limited lifespan and we are simply being reckless with chance. We're labeled "career women" as if we graduated college, burned our bras and got jobs to exhibit some sort of feminist muscle. Or, it's assumed we're not 'trying hard enough,' or we're 'being too picky.' The latest trend is to assume we don't really want children because we haven't frozen our eggs, adopted or had a biological baby as a single woman.I'd have to go with a combination of she's too picky, she's put her career first over this white picket fence fantasy, and she hasn't gone on to sluice as a single or freeze her eggs. There is NO REASON she can't have already shat a loaf or two if it's that damned important she'd be "grieving" over it. eating popcorn

This type of grief, grief that is not accepted or that is silent, is referred to as disenfranchised grief. It's the grief you don't feel allowed to mourn, because your loss isn't clear or understood. You didn't lose a sibling or a spouse or a parent. But losses that others don't recognize can be as powerful as the kind that is socially acceptable. Blah blah blah.......I am appalled she's comparing the death of a loved one to the lack of a loaf by choice.angry smiley

Let me be clear. When you're over 35 and heartbroken over a breakup with the guy who you hoped would be 'the one' or haven't had a good date in a while or watch your close friends go on to their second or third pregnancy, it's hard. It's disarming. And sometimes, it's unbearable. I wonder WHY she's had no "good dates" in a while? I also wonder why they all break up with hereye rolling smiley

I've always loved being around babies. I couldn't get enough of my own newborn nieces and nephew. Not having my own, I felt like the world, in one big swoop, was moving forward and I was being held back. Then SHIT that almighty loaf while there's still time and STFU.:bayybee

Turning 40 helped. Just the anticipation of turning 37... 38... 39 and remaining single was creating more anxiety than anything else in my life. Once I hit 40, I realized that despite my dreams (and deep biological and emotional desire to be a mother), I was still happy for all the other things in my life. Being an aunt was (and will probably always be) my greatest joy. Starting my own business, becoming an author and fulfilling my professional potential have been extraordinarily rewarding. The likely reason she's remained single is the men can smell her desperation a mile away. That, and she also comes across as a bit of a narcissist. III. and MY MY MY= ME ME MEbowing

I'm 42 now, and I've quietly moved on. Becoming a mother at this point would be a very happy surprise. Of course, I still have my moments. That hard-won peace of mind can be interrupted by an unexpected package from a PR agency sending me a newborn baby onesie for promotion. (There's something about a onesie I have no use for that is especially tender). Or when people assume I never wanted kids because I don't have any. Or act surprised when I reveal that I do. Or worse, presume I am happier for being childless or more fortunate for not having to 'worry about kids.' Some have even come to call me "childfree" -- a term coined by those who have chosen never to have children and have no desire to have children, simply because I've 'chosen' to wait for love. I not only have to cope with my circumstantial infertility, but I have to defend my desire to be married to someone I'm crazy about before conceiving. I have to defend why I'm not a mother when it's all I ever wanted to be."Circumstantial infertility" WTF? God forbid anyone think she was childfree, but maybe if she was she could at least get a husband:bawl

The grief over never becoming a mother is one I will never get over, like the grief over losing my own mother 23 years ago. But like that kind of grief, with time, it's no longer constant or active. Yes, there's still hope I'll meet a man who has the desire to have a baby with me and will be prepared to be with me through the treatments I may need to make that happen. Or grieve with me should they not work. But mainly, I just keep going, looking for love. Thankfully, there's no biological time limit on that dream. I can't believe she's comparing this "grief" with the death of her own mother! How charming too she's looking for a man to grieve WITH her should the stick not turn pink! Now THAT is a big turn on I am quite certain.:smn

I cautiously hold onto the hope that I may still have a chance to hold my baby in my arms -- and that I am still attractive to men who want children too. I know I'm not alone. I am one of the 18 percent of American women between the ages of 40 and 44 who are childless. Pew Research reports that half of this group has chosen that fate; they are childfree by choice. And the rest of us, about one million American childless women ages 40 to 44, suffer from biological or circumstantial infertility. God, there's a MILLION of them? Oh, I hadn't realized being childlfree was a "fate".:BS

How we choose to move on from this grief is now the focus of our own kind of happily ever after. And I must say, I plan for my 'happy' to indeed be ever after. And hopefully, it won't be alone. With her attitude, I'd say it was LIKELY she will remain "alone".eye rolling smiley

------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- -------
If YOU are the "exception" to what I am saying, then why does my commentary bother you so much?
I don't hate your kids, I HATE YOU!
Re: "My Secret Grief. Over 35, Single and Childless" (article)
March 31, 2012
If she's in New York, she's definitely alone because she's too picky. Sorry, toots, there's only so many rich stockbrokers in Manhattan and you're probably a 6 in a sea of 10's. You're an old, wrinkly bag with shrivelled eggs trying to compete with 20 year old fuckmeat. Move to a retirement community in Florida and maybe some retiree will bone you before he keels over in his Hoveround.

--------------------
"[GFG's pregnancy is] kind of like at the stables where that one dumb, ugly-ass mare broke out of her corral one day and got herself screwed by the equally fugly colt that was due to be gelded the same afternoon."- Shiny
April 01, 2012
Pssst....for something to be secret, you have to not announce it to the world and leverage it for income.
April 01, 2012
What is consistent in every single one of these articles bemoaning childlessness (this one, the one that sparked the whiners thread, and the one I recently added to that thread is the lack of responsibility for their own situations.

Every single one is quick to tell us that they did not choose career over baby, and that they were just unfortunate enough to not have met the right man. The refrain "It isn't my fault!" comes through quite clearly. It's always 'circumstances' and never their own choices. And because of that, we're supposed to feel greater sympathy than if she were merely regretful over her choices in the past.

(They probably would have fit in quite well with breeders, who, by and large, have things happen to them, rather than taking control of their own lives.)

We're not talking about a woman who was born without a uterus and with so many other health problems that no adoption agency will give her a second glance. We're not in the immediate post WWI era, when women outnumbered men and having babies out of wedlock was simply not done. She had options. She prefered to be with someone she loved before she had a baby - a laudable goal (although I suspect it is actually a false front to hide the fact that she is very demanding about what she expects from a potential mate), but certainly not an objective which would stand in the way of having a baby for someone who wanted that above all else. She could have had a baby. She probably could have even found someone to marry her. What she coldn't do is construct a fairy-tale accurate in every detail to the life she envisioned when she was a child.

I get so tired of people claiming that things are not their fault. You are an adult. Accept responsibility for some of your decisions in life. If you aren't succeeding at what you wanted to accomplish, look first within yourself for possible reasons why, instead of blaming the actions of other people (all those horrible men who didn't want to marry and have children with her!). When something happens once it might be random shit, but when something happens to you repeatedly, there's a good chance that it has something to do with you. How you present yourself, how realistic your desires are, how unswaying your preferences are, the way you actually prioritise over how you believe you prioritise...how you look for ways to assign the blame instead of accepting the consequences of your own actions.

Of course there is the chance that it isn't you, but random chance. Shit does happen. But shit happens to everyone, and many people have had far shittier things happen to them than 'circumstantial infertility'. Complain to your friends about the hand that life has dealt you if it helps you come to accept it. But realise that nobody's life resembles the dreams they had when they were younger. Nobody gets exactly what they want, all the time.
'circumstantial' infertility? So she's not really infertile?

Sounds more like she just wants a spayshul badge to wear and something to wail about.

Nevermind old girl, you know you could find a moo to give greek salads and black cotton panties to and fawn over their brat. But wash your hands first. And GTFO in 15 minutes. And take the trash out on your way.
April 01, 2012
Please. smile rolling left righteyes2

Why wait for the Prince Charming when you could have opened your heart and legs to anyone who decided to be nice enough to you?
April 01, 2012
Oh cry me a fucking river! :Violin

The twunt is a rabid wannamoo who thinks the world is supposed to be like the Cleavers? Good Godess, you stupid bitch, get a fucking grip!

If you are employed, have some money in the bank, no health issues and an otherwise relatively stable life, SHUT. THE. FUCK. UP. and see a psychiatrist to give you a prescription for some Zoloft.

Makes me embarrassed by my sex sometimes.
April 01, 2012
Seems to me there are hundreds of thousands of kids in the foster system that could benefit from attention from someone like her. But I guess a non-white kid with emotional problems isn't what June Cleaver II has in mind when she says she has a deep emotional need to be a mother. Only flawless self-replicants need apply to that bottomless pool of unselfish nurturing..
April 01, 2012
Oh, please. All the sympathy for this immature woman is nauseating. If her "broken dream" were something else everyone would say get over it and be grateful for what you have. Furthermore, NY isn't the best place to play out this moomoo dream - there are more women than men and not all the guys want to breed. These women are so pathetic, very few of us get everything we want and life turns out totally different than what we planned. I don't get seeking sympathy for that, it's just ... life. And this isn't generational entitlement, as lots of older ladies are mourning non-grandchildren too.

One good thing is that people assumed she was childfree, that is a bright spot because most people I meet seem to assume anyone sans brats is child-less.
April 01, 2012
"Move to a retirement community in Florida and maybe some retiree will bone you before he keels over in his Hoveround."

this. was. beautiful.
Meh. Talk about a first-world problem. What a pathetic whiner.
April 01, 2012
Miss_Hannigan
If she's in New York, she's definitely alone because she's too picky. Sorry, toots, there's only so many rich stockbrokers in Manhattan and you're probably a 6 in a sea of 10's. You're an old, wrinkly bag with shrivelled eggs trying to compete with 20 year old fuckmeat. Move to a retirement community in Florida and maybe some retiree will bone you before he keels over in his Hoveround.
waving hellolarious you guys are terrible.

All jokes aside, I do agree with Kim. If you wanted brats that much, you would have had them by now. Go to Walmart and you will see even ugly women with brats proving that they got laid. You don't have to be pretty or smart to snare a duh-nor. Or you could just go to a sperm bank or adopt. If being moo was so important for you, then there's a way to do it. She just didn't want brats fucking up whatever she was trying to accomplish at the moment.
April 01, 2012
I just suffered through a similar article from The Atlantic about another 40-year-old, self-obsessed New York career gal who forgot to have children, and now regrets turning down a suitor in her 20's. How many of these fucking articles do we need?

http://m.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2011/11/all-the-single-ladies/8654/

(Link is from my mobile, may or may not work for everyone)

--------------------
"[GFG's pregnancy is] kind of like at the stables where that one dumb, ugly-ass mare broke out of her corral one day and got herself screwed by the equally fugly colt that was due to be gelded the same afternoon."- Shiny
April 01, 2012
I hope the writer of that article dies in a fire. At least then the world wouldn't be subjected to her pathetic whining.
April 01, 2012
Hey lady, guess what? NOBODY CARES. Grow the fuck up. When you have real problems, then you can talk. Never having squirted a loaf out of your twat is not a "tragedy," nor is it worthy of your sick and twisted misuse of the term "grief." You chose the life you're living. Maybe if you'd stop and think about the things you've done that you had to admit were rewarding, and realize that you'd have done very little of that if you'd had parasites hanging off your tits, you'll figure out what a bullet you dodged.

I hate whiny-ass drama whores.
April 01, 2012
Miss_Hannigan
I just suffered through a similar article from The Atlantic about another 40-year-old, self-obsessed New York career gal who forgot to have children, and now regrets turning down a suitor in her 20's. How many of these fucking articles do we need?

God, that woman is still mourning her break up with, in retrospect, Mr Mostly Right from a decade ago.eye rolling smiley These 40 something childless women need to get a grip on reality and decide what it is they want! I don't understand why they can't be happy with the lives they have chosen rather than the life that never was. I suppose they let time creep up on them or something while they were trying to "have it all", but I really don't know because I never experienced anything remotely like this with the ticking clocks and whatnot. I am not "alone', since I am married, but I absolutely would not have a problem with the state of being alone for LONG extended periods of time.shrug

I can't EVER recall having been lonely and if the truth be known I always have enjoyed being alone.I guess I like my own company. I could (and have) go for days on end without any human contact and it wouldn't bother me in the least. I don't require validation or the company of others to be content or happy and never have and can't imagine I ever will. When Moos start up with the typical, "You will end up all alone in a remote area with no company but your cats", that sounds rather pleasant and desirable to me. I'd much rather be alone with a bunch of cats than constantly bombarded and imposed on by second and third generations of self replicants, I truly would. I have seen it and it's not my cup of tea.thumbs updown

Most older women, 50 and above typically, claim they just can't imagine being happy without a constant drove of kids and grandbrats stopping by and to encourage it, many of them either leave their doors unlocked or hand out keys to everyone even remotely related to them so they can "visit" whenever they want. I would NEVER enjoy anything like that with people just stopping by, raiding my refrigerator, or otherwise dropping in uninvited and without even knocking like SO MANY women seem to enjoy when they approach "middle age". That intrusive shit just is NOT for me and I don't imagine it ever will be.:smn

------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- -------
If YOU are the "exception" to what I am saying, then why does my commentary bother you so much?
April 01, 2012
kidlesskim
Miss_Hannigan

God, that woman is still mourning her break up with, in retrospect, Mr Mostly Right from a decade ago.eye rolling smiley These 40 something childless women need to get a grip on reality and decide what it is they want! I don't understand why they can't be happy with the lives they have chosen rather than the life that never was. I suppose they let time creep up on them or something while they were trying to "have it all", but I really don't know because I never experienced anything remotely like this with the ticking clocks and whatnot. I am not "alone', since I am married, but I absolutely would not have a problem with the state of being alone for LONG extended periods of time.shrug

I can't EVER recall having been lonely and if the truth be known I always have enjoyed being alone.I guess I like my own company. I could (and have) go for days on end without any human contact and it wouldn't bother me in the least. I don't require validation or the company of others to be content or happy and never have and can't imagine I ever will. When Moos start up with the typical, "You will end up all alone in a remote area with no company but your cats", that sounds rather pleasant and desirable to me. I'd much rather be alone with a bunch of cats than constantly bombarded and imposed on by second and third generations of self replicants, I truly would. I have seen it and it's not my cup of tea.thumbs updown

Most older women, 50 and above typically, claim they just can't imagine being happy without a constant drove of kids and grandbrats stopping by and to encourage it, many of them either leave their doors unlocked or hand out keys to everyone even remotely related to them so they can "visit" whenever they want. I would NEVER enjoy anything like that with people just stopping by, raiding my refrigerator, or otherwise dropping in uninvited and without even knocking like SO MANY women seem to enjoy when they approach "middle age". That intrusive shit just is NOT for me and I don't imagine it ever will be.:smn

This. SO this. I am such a solitary person and hate having my peace disturbed. Anyone who knows me knows to never drop by unannounced, etc. I hate being intruded upon.

As for Miss Whine...STFU. Crap like this makes me stabby and beyond annoyed. Clueless bint.
April 02, 2012
Ohh boo fucking hoo, you forgot to have kids. Excuse me while I go play the world's tiniest violin for you. If never having kids is your biggest problem in life, you've got it pretty damned good. How can you grieve over something you have never known or experienced? Isn't that what causes grief? Being familiar with someone or something and then losing it, like a family member, a friend or a pet? Mourning results from loss, not from a lack of something.

No man's going to want to bone her - she reeks of desperation and I'm sure she'd be planning the nursery on the first fucking date. Why doesn't she just date a single Duh if she wants kids so bad? She'll get a man and some free kids without having to wreck her body with pregnancy, and Duhddy will have a woman to wrangle his brats for him. It's a win-win situation. But odds are she will NEED a child that is her own biological offspring because someone else's mistakes just will not do.

Why can no one ever be happy with what they have? Wannabreeders could have good jobs and nice homes and stable relationships. Overall have everything going for them, but they're willing to throw away a comfortable existence because of ONE thing they don't have? Then they'll bitch to everyone about how haaaaaaaard it is to be a mother.
April 02, 2012
This woman has a very desirable life...many people would love to live her life. She has to "grieve" and piss and moan about the one stupid thing she chose not to have at an earlier time, and now she's whining and writing articles about how she's missed out? I have a feeling if she did have brats, she would complain about how haaaarrrd it is to be a moooo. Idiots like this are NEVER satisfied.

What is she looking for? Sympathy? Hope? Some guy to read the article and step up to the plate and create some sperm and spoiled egg omelette with her that will probably result in some retarded defecto-loaf?

These bitches need to be grateful for what they HAVE. They are too busy complaining about what they don't, and as a result they are depressed.....boo fucking hooo....I wanted to be married, own a condo overlooking the yacht club....I don't have those things. I am still happy that I have relatively good health and a roof over my head, food in my fridge and a quiet life that doesn't revolve around the drudgery of brats.

No guy is gonna want to date her, because she's going to bring up the "b" word (babby) way too soon...and desperation is one cologne that stinks to high fucking heaven.
April 02, 2012
I guess it is time for that tired “drag out all of the cautionary tales of what happens when you decide Mr. Mostly but Not Quite Right is not right” bullshit.

Miss H is right on the head; I guess whiny broad never saw the Models and Mortals episode of SATC. Here is what Carrie said about men who only date models, “Modelizers are obsessed, not with women, but with models, who in most cities are safely confined to billboards and magazines, but in Manhattan, actually run wild on the streets, turning the city into a virtual Model Country Safari where men can pet the creatures in their natural habitat. As if we didn't have enough problems!” And in Manhattan, someone who looked like Carrie would not be all that successful either unless they only looked at the body. Butterfaces can get a pass if they have a very slender bod. The catches have their pick of the litter, and a 40-something obsessing over babies ain’t it.

So now we have a woman who did not settle. Except now she is in her 40s, the clock is ticking, and she reeks of desperation. You can smell it coming from the copied print of this article. Men have very fine desperation detectors; good men will run for the hills, bad men will hang out to use her and then toss her away without her precious baby. She won’t land anyone, much less a billionaire investment banker, with that tude.

Now if she has a great job and can support a baby, there is no reason she can’t have one. She can hit the sperm banks, have a one nighter with someone she won’t see again or, GASP, even adopt one if she wants to be a parent. She has no need to “grieve” what she doesn’t have. If someone really, really wants something they find a way to make it happen.

Then again, having a baby to fill a void is one of the worst reasons to have one. And this poor baby is doomed from conception as it will be sucked into a vortex of neediness that it will never be able to escape.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
From a bottle cap message on a Magic Hat #9 beer: Condoms Prevent Minivans
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I want to pick up a bus full of unruly kids and feed them gummi bears and crack, then turn them loose in Hobby Lobby to ransack the place. They will all be wearing T shirts that say "You Could Have Prevented This."
Miss_Hannigan

I think there's nothing wrong with being picky or refusing to settle. However, that can result in ending up alone, which is OK too. I'm guilty of that, not being married or having been in a relationship in years, but I'm OK with that. If you have a job, a roof over your head, savings, these days that's doing OK.

This woman sounds like she has a good life, why can't she be happy?
April 03, 2012
You definitely shouldn't settle, but you also shouldn't whine when you're alone and childless at 40, because it was your own choice.

Both these women seem to be well-connected with great jobs and rich friends all over the world. The way they complain makes me wonder if they would have been happier moving to a farm town and shooting out 5 kids with the manager of a Tires Plus.

--------------------
April 03, 2012
This appears to be a "Grass is Greener" story. If this same woman was holed up in one of those creepy religious cult "families" and coerced into breeding a bevy of loaves to men twice her age since the time she reached puberty, she'd probably be saying she longed to be a free, single, childless career woman. The "Grass is Greener" types are generally immature selfish people who wouldn't be happy regardless of how their life turned out. I don't think that's very good PNB material. If she was a Stay At Home Moo living in a McMansion, she'd probably be among the millions of disgruntled Moo-Bloggers we make fun of on a daily basis.:Violin

April 03, 2012
Good point, Kim. Actually, it makes me realize how content I am with my life, warts and all.

--------------------
April 03, 2012
Miss_Hannigan
Good point, Kim. Actually, it makes me realize how content I am with my life, warts and all.

Yeah me too, but I didn't get that way overnight. I think it's human nature to ponder the road(s) not taken and to ask oneself, "What if?" I had done this or that would I have been happier, wealthier, etc......When it becomes unhealthy and counter productive is when we are unable to see ANYTHING but the up side to the road not taken and don't have the ability to imagine the down side. Then it becomes an unrealistic "goal" which can never be attained as well as a fantasy. That mindset can literally ruin the rest of someone's life and assuming this 40ish woman lives a normal lifespan, we are talking about 40-50 YEARS of unnecessary self imposed misery. If she would think about it in that light she'd be a lot better off.:litebulb

Whenever I have started down the path of becoming obsessed with "what if" I had or hadn't done this or that, especially when it comes to one of my many failed marriages (I am on my 5th), or start up a pity party about chances I wish I had taken, choices I wish I had made differently, mistakes I wish I could take back, feeling guilt over a life choice, etc...........I started playing a game with myself quite some time ago and it always makes me feel better! I'll share it with you all in case you ever need a boost in the "What If" department:bouncing and laughing

First of all let me say I believe that any decision is better than none at all and I also think ALL decisions, even apparent bad ones, can still have positive consequences depending on the circumstances beyond our control AND in how we deal with the results of that singular decision. It can be something as apparently benign as taking a right instead of a left, leaving five minutes later than we meant to, running a red light, or obviously serious such as ending a marriage, quitting a job, or relocating. I imagine the road not taken, first with all of it's rainbows and puppy dog tails. Then, I imagine different sets of variables that could have caused it to go horribly wrong had I taken that particular path or made a different decision. ONE decision can literally change the entire landscape of our lives.:bdid

Sometimes, keeping door number one with the home entertainment system, instead of taking a chance on the 50k vacation behind door number 2, can keep us from going home with a worthless cow with a bell hanging around it's neck when we chose door number 3 over our first choice of door number 1. That's the logic I try to live by anyway because it helps keep the "what ifs" and lamenting at the past I can't change at bay. Now, if I had a working time machine that would be an entirely different horse of a MUCH different color.shrug

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login