Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Mirena Commercial

Posted by Pepper 
Pepper
Mirena Commercial
September 11, 2007
I've been seeing this commercial for a new form of BC called Mirena. In it, an apparently happily married and settled mom claims that "a lot can happen in five years" thus you may want to put off having "another" child. One of the things she lists as having accomplished in her 5 (count them, FIVE) years of not having a new mouth to feed is "finished a book."

Well, gee, lady, how good you must feel to have read ONE book in a FIVE YEAR period. I tell ya, if I only had enough time in my life to read ONE book every FIVE years I'd fling myself out a window.

Even worse, at the end of the commerical we hear Mirena's slogan "Keep Life Simple," as it shows mom and dad with their freshly shat loaf and 3 (count them, THREE) other children.

So. Four kids. FOUR. Yeah, that should make life real simple for ya.

Keep in mind this is a commercial for birth CONTROL...apparently there's not a lot of control of any kind going on for this little commercial family.

Oy.
Anonymous User
Re: Mirena Commercial
September 11, 2007
That sounds like horrible advertising! Sort of like (not trying to be offensive at all here) a diet soda commercial featuring extremely obese people who claim to use the product.

I wish they'd let us child-free people come up with advertising campaign for bc.
Nour
September 12, 2007
In the Mirena literature I read that the recommendation is that “Mirena should be considered an option for women who have a least one child.” My natural question was, why? Are their any serious health risks for women without children? NO. I found some mention later that a very small number of women who use Mirena may get pelvic inflammatory disease (PID) from using Mirena. And then a tiny, tiny percentage of the women who get PID can be rendered sterile. The odds are really very low that this would ever happen. That’s not a serious health risk to me. But then again, sterility would be pretty sweet.
So there’s like a 0.001 chance of becoming sterile from Mirena, so don’t do it! Fuck that shit.
Pepper
September 12, 2007
The commercial also says that Mirena is recommended for people who are in "stable relationships."

Excuse me? What difference does it make what kind of relationship a person is in? Does it stop working if you have plans to fuck the local football team?

In spite of the fact that it's birth control, I'm beginning to suspect that Mirena has a somewhat anti-choice agenda.
September 13, 2007
And probably invented by some fundie-asshole doctor.

Pretty soon ALL forms of birth control will be unavailable to everyone unless they have at least 1 hellspawn.
Anonymous User
September 18, 2007
Hrm, I guess I would assume "finished a book" meant "finished WRITING a book," not "finished READING a book"?

Of course, once one had started accomplishing things in one's life, why would one then want to end that by popping out a kid? I don't get it.

That said, I can see the "stable relationship" thing: they don't want a bunch of chicks getting an IUD, then a year later getting a new guy and deciding "OMG I NEED A KID WITH THIS GUY RIGHT NOOOOOOW!!!" and bitching about needing it removed and shit.

Now, the argument I've heard for women only getting IUDs if they've had a kid is that it's easier to insert--the cervix has a bigger opening or something. But, the extra pain/difficulty is usually worth it for CF women, I think.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login