Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Essure vs. Tubal Ligation

Posted by michaela 
Re: Essure vs. Tubal Ligation
July 19, 2012
Yeah, kittendoll, I do remember your PMs...I downloaded the forms and now that I have time, I can drop them off after work.

Thank you all for the input. I was trying to look at pros and cons for both procedures and I certainly think I will continue looking at Essure. I think the twits on that health forum were too used up to be able to retain the damn coils. bouncing and laughing

I see that the idea of free sterilization for college-aged women has been forgotten. Both sides are too eager to breed.

I don't know how much counseling, if any, I would be shoved into before such a procedure. I do not like counselors. I suppose I could dramatize by saying I'd harm myself, but only if it were truly necessary. I like myself a whole bunch and would never really self-harm. I think it's better to be honest with the counselor and build some sort of rapport that would cause the therapist to vouch for me.

----------
michaela

"A child will make two dishes at an entertainment for friends, and when the family dines alone, the fore or hind quarter will make a reasonable dish, and seasoned with a little pepper or salt, will be very good boiled on the fourth day, especially in winter." -Jonathan Swift, A Modest Proposal
lena
October 17, 2012
Hello, can you please have your wife email me at (email address removed by moderators). I am having the essure procedure done tomorrow and I am scared to death.

Thanks.

Lena
October 17, 2012
wut

Oh boy, a zombie thread in time for Halloween!

If you read OP, I am female. No wife either, I don't swing that way. Way to put your e-mail out there, by the way.

If you are actually getting Essure done, don't freak. Consider yourself very lucky and kudos for making a good decision.

Well, since this thread is revived, I might as well add a bit of an update. Nothing special...but my school switched to Humana insurance, which I believe covers Essure. This improves its availability to me.

----------
michaela

"A child will make two dishes at an entertainment for friends, and when the family dines alone, the fore or hind quarter will make a reasonable dish, and seasoned with a little pepper or salt, will be very good boiled on the fourth day, especially in winter." -Jonathan Swift, A Modest Proposal
October 17, 2012
michaela
wut

Oh boy, a zombie thread in time for Halloween!

If you read OP, I am female. No wife either, I don't swing that way. Way to put your e-mail out there, by the way.

If you are actually getting Essure done, don't freak. Consider yourself very lucky and kudos for making a good decision.

Well, since this thread is revived, I might as well add a bit of an update. Nothing special...but my school switched to Humana insurance, which I believe covers Essure. This improves its availability to me.

I think she was talking about Nathomir, Michaela ò.ò

Kudos for your right decition!^_^

“I was talking about children that have not been properly house-trained. Left to their own impulses and indulged by doting or careless parents almost all children are yahoos. Loud, selfish, cruel, unaffectionate, jealous, perpetually striving for attention, empty-headed, for ever prating or if words fail them simply bawling, their voices grown huge from daily practice: the very worst company in the world. But what I dislike even more than the natural child is the affected child, the hulking oaf of seven or eight that skips heavily about with her hands dangling in front of her -- a little squirrel or bunny-rabbit -- and prattling away in a baby's voice.”

― Patrick O'Brian, The Truelove

lib'-er-ty: the freedom given to you to make the wrong decision, based on the reasoned belief that you will normally make the right one.
October 17, 2012
Oh yeah, I guess he's the only dude who commented on this thread. DUUUUUURRRRRRRRR on my part. Though Lena could have said as much. *shrug*

----------
michaela

October 17, 2012
I don't think anybody is just going to email a stranger, but if you create an account someone might send you a private message through the site. It's not clear what you're looking for from us. If you want sterilization stories you can probably find some here by searching.
October 17, 2012
Thread jack!

quills
(The doctor that ended up doing it was so awesome. He looked like a Hawaiian Santa Claus. I baked his jolly ass a cake grinning smiley)
I baked my surgeon my famous fetus cookies for my 6 week follow up after my hysterectomy. I didn't hang around to see the reaction, though I wish I did now... lol!
October 18, 2012
When I finally get a doctor to do mine, I want to send them a fruit basket with a card that says: "Fruit from one who bears none" lol! Shitty bible jokes for the win!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
So.. We know that food and water are running out, with overpopulation and all... Yet people keep on poppin' out those babies! I guess they want to have their baby and eat it too...

My top reason is that parenting gives you a free license to be selfish based purely on the fact that you're being selfish for an emanation of your own self. The illusion that what you do to benefit your children benefits them solely is a fallacy. Every parent benefits from the benefits that their children receive. Henceforth, it gives one a license to perpetuate a dog-eat-dog mentality that I perceive to be amoral. Parents say that their children are their greatest loves, what they forget to add is that they are their ONLY loves and only because their children are a reflection of themselves. I prefer to be able to love multiple people and have lasting relationships of many types and possess the essential core value of empathy for all than to restrict myself to an echo chamber of ego-masturbation and self-serving chicanery.

In short: Not parenting makes you a better person.
Anonymous User
October 22, 2012
Ehh, I think the Essure site is biased. It partly depends on what kind of tubal you get. It can be anything between 99.5% effective, and 97.5% effective.

Essure is a bit cheaper, but I only paid about $1,000 out of pocket.

For me, it came down to a pretty simple thing.

My body HATES foreign objects. HATES THEM. I can't get tattoo work in anything but black, because my body will push it out until it's completely gone. Seriously. It hates hormones. It hates piercings. It hates everything.

On the other hand, I heal extremely quickly from injury.

I just wasn't comfortable putting a foreign material in my body for the rest of my life, if I could help it. Especially since it contains nickel, and you can acquire an allergy to it over time.

I was much more comfortable having my belly button poked and my tubes burned. Nothing foreign left behind -- just a bit of healing time.

It wasn't that bad for me. I was going out and celebrating 2 days later, taking nothing but ibuprofen for the soreness.
Anonymous User
October 22, 2012

I'm doing some research right now to figure out if Essure or a tubal ligation is a better option for me. I'm looking at recovery time, cost, the actual procedures, failure rate, complications, what's better for my age, physique, and activity level, and so forth.

So far:
I should be able to obtain either one legally because I am 18 and I consent. I know what I do and don't want out of life.
I have heard of the difference between the two as being akin to the difference between simply blocking a bridge (Essure) or detonating it (tubal.)
From Essure's site: Effectiveness

Tubal
98.45% at 1 year
98.69% at 5 years
98.15% at 10 years

Essure
99.95% at 1 year
99.8% at 4 years

Approximate cost: Essure @ ~$1500, TL @ ~$2500-3000 out of pocket. My university insurance does not cover jack shit unless you are an athlete or a preggo bitch. I guess Texas Women's Health Program is still active, but severely crippled.
I came across a women's health forum full of complaints about slippage, expulsion, traveling implants, perforation, etc. with Essure. Ninety percent of them had kids. I know that the uterus changes drastically after pregnancy, possibly like a deflated balloon. All bodies are different, blah blah blah, but could that affect how well they can retain the implants?
I am a little bitch when it comes to pain. Sure, the temporary pain of Essure (if it goes as planned) is preferable to 20 years of having a kid, but I could get knocked the fuck out instead and go with the tubal.
I would need more recovery time with the tubal.
Either procedure should allow me to get ablated within a reasonable amount of time. I may sound a little narcissistic, but I don't think I need periods since I'm not having children. It's messy and expensive. I think that dropping a few hundred to a few thousand ONCE compared to dropping several grand on supplies seems like a deal.
Tubals have been around a lot longer and more doctors are trained to administer them. Essure is still relatively new.
I am overweight, but not severely. I am not technically/medically obese. The fatter one is, the riskier surgery can be. This may be less of a problem with Essure.
I am severely allergic to ibuprofen/aspirin. Forgive my ignorance, but I have no clue what is in anesthesia. (I've been to the doc thrice since my birth, excluding any checkups that I can't remember: once for said allergic reaction, another for the time I had scarlet fever, a third time for them to diagnose me with plantar fasciitis.)
I already know what risks I face as far as being rejected for my age and non-childed-ness.
EDITS v v v
I don't plan on having ALL THE SEX, I just want my uterus to be as inhospitable as possible.
I do not want to consider hormonal birth control. See the fat thing 4 bullets up - last thing I need is more fat.

I also think the Essure stats are a bit biased. I did a lot of research on this before I had my tubes tied and TL is as effective as Essure. I had clips put on with silicone lining so no metal is touching my insides.

My TL actually cost me $1,440.

There is a slight risk of becoming pregnant after tubal ligation. This happens to about 5 out of 1,000 women after 1 year. After a total of 5 years following tubal ligation, about 13 out of 1,000 women will have become pregnant.1
WebMD
^^Obviously that's more than 98% lol.

My recovery time was about 3 days, maybe 4, but it didn't stop me from being active and walking around. I was knocked out for the surgery.

I requested an ablation along with my tubal, and was refused and I live in Ohio which is pretty open-minded. So I wish you absolute luck with that one. I'm sure if I request an ablation in 10-20 years, I may get it, but my dr(who was more than happy to approve me for TL) was hesitant about ablation and said that she can't do that because it isn't medically necessary. I have had severe dysmenorrhea prior to getting on Depo, and even THAT didn't persuade her. So again, I wish the most amount of luck possible!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login