Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Adults who act like children

Posted by Anonymous User 
Anonymous User
Adults who act like children
July 27, 2012
My co-worker "Joe" is basically a good guy but is often in a bad mood. I think he hates the job. My problem is I tend to catch his bad mood. Yesterday I went into the room he was in to do something, and soon started feeling angry for no reason. I knew it was because Joe was having a bad day and was grumbling to himself.

Today I told my boss about this and she had a very interesting explanation. She said it was because he acts like a child. Both she and I are childfree and dislike children.(Ironically Joe is the same.) I know she often gets really annoyed at him. She also said another co-worker tolerates him much better because this woman likes children.

Maybe there is something to this. I usually don't get angry directly at Joe because he makes an effort not to take out his frustrations on other people. But when I do get really angry at somebody it is because they are acting like a schoolyard bully, refusing to listen to reason, or both. The people in my life I have the most issues with are the ones who tend to act like bratty kids. This could be why I resent my mom so much. In some ways she is like a 2 year old trapped in an adult body. shrug
Re: Adults who act like children
July 27, 2012
Ondinette
The people in my life I have the most issues with are the ones who tend to act like bratty kids. This could be why I resent my mom so much. In some ways she is like a 2 year old trapped in an adult body. shrug

OMG! I've often thought this describes my dad and Roommate (also a guy) to a T.
July 27, 2012
One of the most annoying childlike behaviors an adult can have is when they pout. I despise pouters with a passion, followed closely by women who act and talk like wittle gurls with literal baby talk. Both my SIL and MIL do this as a habit and I can hardly stand to be in the same room with them when they do it either. "OOOH, DOSE COOKIES AWRA PWITTY".cutting a smiley with a chainsawfuck

------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- -------
If YOU are the "exception" to what I am saying, then why does my commentary bother you so much?
I don't hate your kids, I HATE YOU!
July 28, 2012
I don't think I've ever known a man who doesn't act like a child on occasion. My father was the worst 'pouter'. He'd get mad about something and go off to the bedroom for hours and just lay there and pout. My mother called it 'inner sanctom' LOL My dh will do the silent treatment thing. My grandfather would get mad because my grandmother was involved in charity work and would get so busy that she didn't have time to do for him on occasion. He'd go outside and sit on the stoop and have the saddest face and not speek to anybody,
An old boyfriend of mine used to run away from everything that made him upset. He was unable to deal with things that didnt go his way so he'd just toss it aside. (I ended up being one of those things) They all acted like spoiled babies. My dh has gotten much better with his pouting so ... I think I'll keep him.
July 28, 2012
I have several co-irkers who act like kyds. Two in particular lose their temper and rant and rave when they don't get their way. The male of this pair actually punches the wall and screams. He'll of course half-ass apologize to everyone later, but if he were actually "sorry" he wouldn't act that way at all. I mostly don't react when he acts like that and keep to myself. The female of this pair constantly goes on about how the boss "picks on her" when after working there for four-plus years she still somehow can't manage to remember her name-tag or some other piece of her uniform almost daily. When she gets written up for something, she goes around to everyone telling them how oppressed she is. Some co-irkers socialize together off the clock (I don't, since I don't feel like I have anything in common with any of them and I'd rather spend time with my husband and true friends off the clock), but she whines because she "never gets invited" and then will basically invite herself over to their houses and make them feel awkward. If everyone is busy during a rush and nobody is really responsive to her because they're focusing on the tasks at hand, she'll moo and low, "Why is everyone maaaaaaad at me? What did I doooooo?" It's beyond annoying. The two biggest offenders of this trait I describe both have a sizable brood of kyds. Parenting makes you more mature, MY ASS. smile rolling left righteyes2
July 28, 2012
I also hate it when grown men act like toddlers when they're not feeling well and expect their wives to cater to them while they lie in bed with a thermometer sticking out their pieholes. My last ex husband was not only a hypochondriac experiencing every illness or imagined disease or disorder that came down the pike, but he was a huge whiner whenever he got a scratchy throat or an elevated temperature of 99.9. He also did this really annoying thing with his voice when he was sick or injured too AS IF a sprained ankle would have any effect on his voice, which sounded weak, "nasal", and sickly like someone who's congested.cutting a smiley with a chainsawfuck

If I hadn't been afraid of spending the rest of my life in prison I would have offered him up some hot chicken soup laced with rat poison to put him out of his misery and ME out of mine.drinking coffee

------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- -------
If YOU are the "exception" to what I am saying, then why does my commentary bother you so much?
July 28, 2012
I have seen upper level biz exec's throw tantrums like toddlers. Often.

The adults acting childish who bug me the most are Moos who speak to others - as if they are children.

Examples: "Someone sounds cranky". "Someone needs a nap". "Settle down". "Play nice". You get the idea. You will see this online too, as a response to someone Moo Cow doesn't agree with.

Men will do it too - although their favorites seem to be "Someone has PMS", or "Someone needs to get laid", or "Typical emotional female".
I don't notice them doing this to other men. If they have very young children, they may also use the above Moo retorts. I was in a meeting once, someone swore, and this guy said - "No potty talk at the table". No kidding.

I detest any and all forms of condescension, it's the surest way to get on my shit list. You won't be there for long though, cessation of contact quickly follows.
July 28, 2012
My sil used to talk to me that way sometimes... OR... she'd do this weird thing (how can I explain it?) where she'd was talking to ME (or someone else) at the same time she was talking to her then 1 and 5 yo kids. Example:
I ask (in a normal adult manner) How have you been?
Her: (while holding kid will look down at it and say in a baybe voice) Oh we've been doing pretty goooood. We were a little cranky earlier but we took nappy nap and we're better now.
WTF??? I asked how SHE was... not her freekin' kid.. and I'd like the answer in an adult manner.
(this is the same sil who is the moo of my now 29 yo nephew)
July 28, 2012
starlady
My sil used to talk to me that way sometimes... OR... she'd do this weird thing (how can I explain it?) where she'd was talking to ME (or someone else) at the same time she was talking to her then 1 and 5 yo kids. Example:
I ask (in a normal adult manner) How have you been?
Her: (while holding kid will look down at it and say in a baybe voice) Oh we've been doing pretty goooood. We were a little cranky earlier but we took nappy nap and we're better now.
WTF??? I asked how SHE was... not her freekin' kid.. and I'd like the answer in an adult manner.
(this is the same sil who is the moo of my now 29 yo nephew)

I know EXACTLY what you are talking about! That's the same shit my sister and mother in law do and as best I can tell it started when she had her first kid, although I came into the picture when her second kid was about one. The MINUTE the kid arrives onto the scene,(and he's six now) like upon entering a room or just waking up from a nap, the "baybee talk" will start between them and TO everyone else. It's all I can do to not tell them to PLEASE STFU. At the dinner table it will be, "Could you pass me the macaroni and cheese?" to which they'll respond, "Aunt Kim-Kim and uncle Mike-Mike wants sum MAC-A-WONI AND CHWEESE". or in answer to how the kid's feeling since he's been sick, "He's awwwl better nowa, he did have a fevwer dough".:smn

They also do that shit with food like instead of, "Do you want a brownie?" It'll be, "Do woo want one of nana's wittle cakies with the fwosting and spwinkles on it?" cutting a smiley with a chainsawfuck

Anonymous User
July 28, 2012
Baby talk...can't stand it. One of my cousins was doing that shit to her little brat and I rolled my eyes. My mom caught me doing it, but to my surprise she didn't get mad. She laughed, then whispered," I don't like it either. I didn't talk that way to you and your grandmother didn't talk that way to me. We were taught proper English."

As far as adults acting like children...of course it goes back to the sense of entitlement. If they at like a brat, they get treated like a brat...ignored and avoided. And if I have to have contact with them at work, I keep my demeanor bland and emotionless and I don't say much.

These losers will never evolve and I take great pleasure in looking down my nose at them.
July 28, 2012
That's nothing new to me: women who love children also tend to like men who act like children.

Oftentimes American women wind up taking care of their husband/boyfriend/SO for that very reason. And why women who have children ho grow up, move away from home, should not yet hang up that apron, forget about cooking meals, and doing laundry for their husbands/boyfriends/SO.

Yes, there are rare cases where the man can take care of himself, even if he is married or cohabiting with a woman.

But the worst part is that many American men over the age of 18 are quite capable of learning how to take care of themselves; they just do not want to.
July 28, 2012
Some womben are the worst spoiled adult brats I have ever known. A classmate from nursing school (notice I didn't say "friend") was an overgrown four year old. Daddy did everything for her, including trying to buy her a nursing degree. She lasted two years before she flunked out and transferred to another program.

Nobody in the class could see why the university even admitted her, because she had the IQ in the low single digits and threatened everyone (including our professors) with the DYKWIA bullshit.

Have to say it was a hell of a way to start junior year when our nursing practice lab professor told us the brat would not be returning and added "as long as I have anything to say about it!!" to boot.
July 28, 2012
My bio duh is pretty much an overgrown child smile rolling left righteyes2. He lies about every little thing, runs away when the going gets tough and blames all his shortcomings on everyone else even though he brings all this shit on himself. My stepsister's moo is another adult child. Everything is all about her and heaven forbid if she doesn't get her way. My mom's younger cousin is a slutty teenager in a grown woman's body, my loser stepcousin still lives with his dad and thinks life's a party, and my stepdad's eldest and youngest brothers are basically overgrown preteens. And they all have kids.
Yeah, parenting makes you more mature.
July 28, 2012
Oops, inserted the roll eyes smiley face in the wrong spot.
July 28, 2012
I seem to attract adult babies. I don't understand why a person cannot apply reason and have a conversation to work out issues. Pouting is stupid.
July 28, 2012
I think my mother is like an adult child sometimes too, like having a fit when you don't do things her way, or you don't do them right that very second. Screaming and making a huge deal out of trivial things. Whining, especially about food (she always has something to complain about when she orders out or goes to a restaurant). Not to mention doing and saying very odd things - like one day she sang to the dog about the dingleberries stuck to his junk for like 15 minutes. She also lies about everything - even stuff she doesn't need to lie about. Like she will never tell anyone she got something from a thrift store - she'll lie and say she got it as a gift. Or she'll just lie about dumb shit because she feels that "no one needs to know everything about what I do." She also yells at me when I don't lie when she tells me to (meanwhile, she yells when I commit unapproved lies and I get caught).

And her moron was similar - had a tantrum when he didn't get his way, went and tattled when I didn't do what he wanted when he wanted it done, would leave to "get the mail" at 8 am and go drinking until 3 or 4 the next morning, sometimes not even coming home until the following day, would start doing something, get it partially done and leave the mess for someone else to clean (like him shredding the front yard with a back hoe and not bothering to fix it or pay for landscaping).

Unfortunately, people do this in their adult years for the same reason they did it as kids: it gets results. They learned somewhere along the way that having fits and being brats will get them their way. Mom learned that if she screamed at me loud and long enough, she could break me down into a quivering pile of tears and weakness and get me to do whatever she says (she still does this). Her moron knew if he couldn't get his own way immediately from the wimmin, he'd go tattle to Mom and then she'd lay into me and he'd have that smug satisfaction of knowing he got me in trouble.

Sadly, many people find that it's just easier to indulge the brats rather than deal with screaming and tantrums and threats. Especially in the adult world where you can't throw a brat over your knee and beat their ass until it bleeds.
July 28, 2012
selidororous
That's nothing new to me: women who love children also tend to like men who act like children.

Oftentimes American women wind up taking care of their husband/boyfriend/SO for that very reason. And why women who have children ho grow up, move away from home, should not yet hang up that apron, forget about cooking meals, and doing laundry for their husbands/boyfriends/SO.

Yes, there are rare cases where the man can take care of himself, even if he is married or cohabiting with a woman.

But the worst part is that many American men over the age of 18 are quite capable of learning how to take care of themselves; they just do not want to.

You know, I do like men, but damn if alot of them don't act like fucking overgrown children, I have absolutely no patience with this shit. I can think of three separate incidents this week that underscore the sense of entitlement that these guys have:

One guy got pissy with my friend and I because we didn't just drop everything and drive him home from the bar. We came out to have a good time, not to play taxi. And the guy was there well before we were, and did not even know that we were going to show up, so shouldn't he have already known how he was going to get home?

Another guy, who said that he would "maybe" help me move, now he wants to be paid as though he were a professional mover. I've actually got people helping me that are taking off of work to help me with this, and they didn't ask me for anything (I will give them pizza and beer, of course.) I'm also doing whatever I can by myself. I'm thinking he can just stay the fuck home that day.

Then another one wants to take over my apartment - keep in mind, I'm not even moved out yet - and got all testy when I didn't have him come over and check the place out. It's not my job to find him an apartment, nor is it my job to find tenants for my soon-to-be former landlord.

I know that not all guys are not like this, but my goodness. They say that you can tell a man's true nature by what happens when he doesn't get his way, and by what I've seen, I'm not impressed. Maybe some Earth Mother type out there wants to put up with this shit, but I don't.
July 29, 2012
Zzelda
Men will do it too - I don't notice them doing this to other men.

Oh, I do! If a guy is acting up or getting peevish, I say to him "Dude, you need a blow job but I ain't gonna give it to you." He either shuts up or laughs his head off. Either way, he stops whining. Mission accomplished.

As for the thread, there is a big difference between childLIKE and childISH.

I think most of us here are childLIKE. Maybe because we don't have kids to suck the life out of us, we still relish the joys of flying a kite, playing with a puppy pile, building a model, or whatever wonder we enjoy.

ChildISH -- no excuse! Spoiled rotten brats who needed to be bent over dad's knee and worked over with a belt 50 years ago. And they wonder why their kids and grandkids are brats! I can hear my Dad now -- "Best stop that whining or I'll give you something to whine about!"
July 29, 2012
Here's yet another tale of an overgrown toddler. I go to this retreat for blind and visually impaired adults every summer. Good gaud, the entitlement of some of these people is unbelievable! There's this one bitch in her thirties who still seems to think she's 13. She lies and if you call her on it she flips out and threatens you. She trash talks people behind their backs, spreads rumours, throws tantrums if you don't pander to her and creates drama whenever she feels she's not getting enough attention. She once lied about being pregnant. Not once, but twice. She supposedly has a shit load of medical issues, but I get the feeling most of them are overexaggerated or don't exist at all. And it doesn't help that she has this whiny, naisally voice that makes you wanna put your head through a window.
There's this other woman in her forties whose tantrums rival that of a toddler. It's truly disgusting. Then there's this really old bitch in her sixties, not sure how old she is, who never has a good thing about anything. She's so fucking miserable I'm tempted to slap her hard across the face every time she opens her mouth.
It's too bad we can't spank these overgrown babies.
July 29, 2012
I had one boyfriend in college for about three years. My mom wouldn't even let me talk to boys the whole time I was living at home, so I had no understanding whatsoever relationships, appropriate behavior, etc. This guy would have literal temper tantrums, throwing things, then running and throwing himself on the bed and crying if something didn't go the way he wanted. I thought that you had to have a "good" reason to break up with someone, like they were cheating on you or abusing you, so I thought I had to stay with him despite his repellant personality. He eventually broke up with me, of course.smile rolling left righteyes2

I've always hated the idea of dealing with little children every day because I've never understood why all of the behaviors discussed in this thread are supposed to be intolerable from adults, but acceptable or even cute when they come from children. I can't stand it no matter the age of the person who's doing it.
July 29, 2012
Bullying through temper tantrums is not cool. I loathe people like that. It's so pathetic.
July 29, 2012
electricfire

Oh, I got your meaning - and I kind of like it that way! I did actually think you did it on purpose LOL

And - what you said about your Bio Dad made me think of my exH. Who was perfectly fine when we were dating - and then once he got his hooks into me - WHAMMO! He turned into a Little Boy and tried with all his might to make ME his Mommy.

*Shudders*
July 29, 2012
Zzelda
electricfire

Oh, I got your meaning - and I kind of like it that way! I did actually think you did it on purpose LOL

And - what you said about your Bio Dad made me think of my exH. Who was perfectly fine when we were dating - and then once he got his hooks into me - WHAMMO! He turned into a Little Boy and tried with all his might to make ME his Mommy.

*Shudders*

That just reminded me of something. There are men who actually dress up and act like babies. And there are women that actually tit feed these adult babies. Man, I wish I could remember where I read this.
July 30, 2012
electricfire
Zzelda
electricfire

*Shudders*

That just reminded me of something. There are men who actually dress up and act like babies. And there are women that actually tit feed these adult babies. Man, I wish I could remember where I read this.

It's called paraphilic infantilism, and this topic had me thinking about that from the get go.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I walk the path of life to my own rhythm, my own beat-if you don't like it, step off and find your own damn song!
July 30, 2012
There was an episode of Dr. Phil that covered a guy with the infantilism thing, OMG, it was so weird. He had a job and when he came home his girlfriend had to treat him like a baby, crib, bottle, diapers and all.

This was also the subject of one of those reality shows about people with weird obsessions. In that case the guy was too far gone to work and was in full time loaf mode. He was a large guy and had a huge custom made crib. His "moo" was some friend of his late mother, who took over the role. Hey, if there wasn't an enabler ready to play moo, the guy could not pretend to be a baby. I wonder if there are women who take the role of baby, doubt it.. They are more likely to want to play little teen girl roles and have a "daddy" buy them bling.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login