Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

855 Amputee

Posted by KidFreeLuvnLife 
KidFreeLuvnLife
855 Amputee
January 20, 2006
Man, that SUCKS and is yet another reason to remain childfree. I do know from friends that have spawned, that streptococcus can live in the mother's body and you are supposed to have some sort of test to see if it's there, it can apparently cause problems in the baby. I knew of a woman who had a root canal, developed some awful infection, and the same thing happened to her. Scares the shit out of me!
KidFreeLuvnLife
Re: 862 Amputee
January 20, 2006
For anyone who's interested, here's the link on some strep info. Depsite it being repgunancy related, it's still interesting:

http://www.childbirth.org/articles/GBS.html
KB
January 20, 2006
Yes, that is totally scary! Add to that the hospital not telling her what happened (obviously they fucked up) and you have a real mess.
Childbirth is no picnic in and of itself, and there is so much that can go wrong, but we treat it like it's not a big deal. That is wrong.
Nour
January 20, 2006
Oh my god, how awful. And isn't it true that it's more dangerous to have a baby than to have an abortion? Jesus Christ. With modern science, our culture forgets how dangerous it can be to give birth.

::shudders::
Feh
January 20, 2006
Hospitals are notoriously germ-ridden, and if you go in for something that involves open wounds ... childbirth, operations, what have you ... there's a decent chance you'll end up with a nasty infection.

Lady Cooper
January 20, 2006
That poor woman, I had no clue about that disease even existing. One of my major phobias is amputation, so...one more reason for me.

Shit, that's still giving me the heeby-jeebys.
Cambion
January 20, 2006
I have heard of the disease this woman had, but I still don't understand why in hell she needed to have her arms and legs amputated. I'm sure it wouldn't have killed her to leave her limbs on.

The biggest kick in the ass is that she was told that she'd have to sue to get a straight answer. Bastard doctors - I hope she sues and wins. She doesn't deserve to go through life being unable to do anything for herself except breathe.
CF Scorpio
January 21, 2006
That is a fucking horrible story! I feel sorry for that poor woman and her family.

However, I hated the way the article kept emphasizing the kid/moo angle, i.e. "She really wants to hold her new baby but she can't" (mentioned twice), and "My older son keeps asking me what happened and I don't know what to tell him" (instead of "I want to know what happened to me"!)
sprogless
January 21, 2006
In this particular instance, the "baby" thing doesn't bother me. She went into the hospital to give birth, after all. This is just horrible all the way around. I'm wondering why something like this doesn't make national news. People need to know that this kind of thing can happen to anyone. I'm guessing it's a legal issue, or some shit like that. Or, maybe the media doesn't want to rain on the preggo celebs' parade.
KB
January 24, 2006
I think it's a combination, Sprogless--when I was my relative's lamaze coach (watching a live birth really makes you remember your birth control!!) we had to go to the hospital where she was going to deliver beforehand and they read through this list of risks...and the bimbo nurse or whatever said "I hate reading this list!" Of course it was all these fucking awful things that can go wrong (and my relative did almost die) but it seems like no one EVER talks about the risks of childbirth in this country! Not to mention the lack of bladder control for women after you squirt one out--why do you think those Depends commercials ALWAYS have women on them? Because they RUINED their pelvic floor and bladder squirting out sprogs. No thanks--not worth it!
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.