Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Jab some red-hot wires in your ears (or, "Why crying babies are so hard to ignore" )

Posted by yurble 
It turns out we can't just ignore it when an infant is wailing on a flight:

Ever wondered why it is so difficult to ignore the sound of a crying baby when you are trapped aboard a train or aeroplane? Scientists have found that our brains are hard-wired to respond strongly to the sound, making us more attentive and priming our bodies to help whenever we hear it – even if we're not the baby's parents.

"The sound of a baby cry captures your attention in a way that few other sounds in the environment generally do," said Katie Young of the University of Oxford, who led the study looking at how the brain processes a baby's cries.

Of course "to help" is the article's own spin on it, since the quotes from the researcher don't say anything like that, only that they are more alert. For all they know, maybe it prepares us to throw the wailing kid at a saber-tooth tiger to save ourselves.

The study exclusively involved unchilded people:

None of the study participants was a parent or had any particular experience of looking after babies, yet they all responded in the same way, after 100 milliseconds, to the baby cries. "This might be a fundamental response present in all of us, regardless of parental status," said Parsons.

The comments back up my theory that breeders learn to ignore the cries, as several point out that they are less bothered by the sounds of crying babies since they became parents.
When I hear a child crying I feel the urge to drop kick it so that it lands far far away from me.
Remember that Family Guy skit where Brian yells at a crying brat? I should do that sometime.
snapplet
Remember that Family Guy skit where Brian yells at a crying brat? I should do that sometime.

If by "help" they meant throwing heavy objects at the source of the noise till it stops for good.....then yes it totally makes me want to "help".
It also explains 'shaken loaf syndrome', why some breeders stick their loaves inside of microwave ovens and other shit too. It's to shut the little bastards UP!

I don't want to help a loaf that's crying if it isn't in my care - and one will never be in my care again now that I no longer loaf-sit. The sound is damned depressing. It is one of the most depressing sounds I've ever heard. Crying loaves actually depress my mood.

It isn't right that people are trapped on a cylinder, thousands of feet above the earth with shrieking loaves. I agree with yurble that breeders always seem to be able to tune out the little fuckers...until they snap, and then they get a hankerin' for li'l sizzler.
The sound of a baby crying falls within the range of the audible spectrum that sets my nerve endings on fire, much like fingernails on a chalkboard or steel against steel. It doesn't make me want to help. I want to grab something, like the business end of a rattlesnake, and plug that damned hole!
I've learned that the sound of a baby crying is supposed to make womben ejaculate titjuice all over the place.

If my boobs could produce Benadryl I'd be offering my own tits to all squalling loaves in my vicinity. No, I'd have to pump it first or spray it in their mouths from 20 feet, since I now know moos can do that.
This article shows the bias in how people report on scientific studies.
In my opinion, "The sound of a baby cry captures your attention in a way that few other sounds in the environment generally do," in similar ways that an air raid siren does.
They are trying to manipulate the finding towards a societal bias of parenthood being hard-wired, when it could mean that it is so irritating it is impossible to ignore.
cassia
This article shows the bias in how people report on scientific studies.
In my opinion, "The sound of a baby cry captures your attention in a way that few other sounds in the environment generally do," in similar ways that an air raid siren does.
They are trying to manipulate the finding towards a societal bias of parenthood being hard-wired, when it could mean that it is so irritating it is impossible to ignore.

Agreed. The study only shows that crying grabs attention in a particular way, and that people are better able to perform certain tasks after hearing it.

That this is in any way related to 'helping' is pure conjecture and not supported by the evidence which was presented.

An equally plausible theory is that crying makes people subconciously aware of a competing resource sucker. Many animals will kill unrelated babies. If people are exceptionally good at whack-a-mole after hearing a baby cry, maybe their ancestors would have been dashing that baby against the rocks.

Unless the crying prompts automatic helpful responses, all that can be said for the time being is that the sound is especially piercing and seems to be something we have difficulty tuning out and that this is not due to any sort of choice (revealing the stupidity of breeder's comments that we should just be more tolerant of these kinds of noise pollution).
yurble
It turns out we can't just ignore it when an infant is wailing on a flight:

"The sound of a baby cry captures your attention in a way that few other sounds in the environment generally do," said Katie Young of the University of Oxford, who led the study looking at how the brain processes a baby's cries.

Well, duh. That's because few sounds in the environment are as LOUD as a baby wailing.

It can actually damage your hearing permanently. It's THAT loud. Yes, people have a hard time ignoring that.

If the implication is that it's hard to ignore because we're all just fawning over the needy loaf and wondering what it wants, that couldn't be further from the truth. The truth is that listening to the equivalent of a chainsaw being held 2 inches from my ear is really hard to ignore.
why is it hard to ignore? yeah right, why is that even a question? of course it's hard to ignore! it's the most fantastically annoying sound on the whole universe!! how could anyone ignore it! and it would be fun to inform those scientists that my first response of hearing crying baby is to scream even louder and kick the baby to the outer space.

those scientists are dumbass and full of breeder propaganda. nyah nyah nyah blah blah blah natural instinct bla bla blah.
Katie Young
The sound of a baby cry captures your attention in a way that few other sounds in the environment generally do.

The strangled cry of a loaf is nothing like any other sound alright, it's an aural abomination. My immediate response to the unholy, strangled din would be to put a gag on the damn thing, and I'm sure most other people would think the same way.
Although I don't condone shaking babies to get them to shut the fuck up, I can see why it happens.

~~~~~~~~~~~
I miss my little feather baby.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login