Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

I DO NOT HAVE THE WORDS

Posted by mercurior 
I DO NOT HAVE THE WORDS
April 04, 2008
Pregnant man fears for safety and tells Oprah 'people may try to kill my baby'
Last updated at 10:11am on 4th April 2008

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/worldnews.html?in_article_id=555473&in_page_id=1811

The man who stunned the world when he announced he was pregnant was warned by doctors his baby could be killed because of the revulsion at her birth.

Thomas Beatie revealed his fears for his unborn child for the first time yesterday during an appearance on the Oprah Winfrey Show.

The TV chat show queen was filmed patting Beatie's bulging stomach during the hour long interview with his wife Nancy.

The 34-year-old transsexual was filmed for the show undergoing an ultrasound scan and is now six-months pregnant.

Blurred images of the baby girl could clearly be seen as a smiling Beatie looked on.

Beatie said many doctors had refused to treat him and one warned him: "People would try to kill my baby because it is an abomination."

His appearance on US TV was part of a media blitz to knock down suggestions the pregnancy was a hoax.

As well as the Oprah show, Beatie also gave a detailed interview to People magazine.

The couple had wanted to have a child but wife Nancy could not conceive

Beatie smiles as he has an ultrasound with wife Nancy by his side

The former teenage beauty queen, who conceived through artificial insemination, confessed many people saw him as a "freak".

He said some of his own family members had referred to the baby as "monster".

He accepts that not everyone will understand why he and his 45 year-old wife decided to have a child, which is due in July.

Pregnant man Thomas Beatie sat on the chat show sofa with his wife Nancy for an interview with Oprah

The couple, from Bend, Oregon, said they had already thought about the task of telling their child how she came into the world.

"When she's old enough, we'll sit her down and tell her everything," Beatie said.

"We will tell her how her parents love each other and love her very much.

"Our daughter is beating these incredible odds to get here - physical obstacles, social obstacles, everything.

"And in my dreams I dream the world will see her the way we do,as this amazing gift to us. As a miracle."

Beatie struggles to fit into his old clothes as his stomach grows

Beatie,who was born Tracy LaGondino in Hawaii, caused a worldwide sensation last week when he revealed the pregnancy in the gay magazine The Advocate.

But after neighbours in Oregon poured scorn on the pregnancy it was thought to be an elaborate hoax.

Beatie legally became a man after undergoing a sex change operation - but kept her female reproductive organs.

He told People magazine he decided to get pregnant after wife of five years Nancy had a hysterectomy.

As Tracy, Beatie took part in beauty pagents

"If Nancy could get pregnant, I wouldn't be doing this," he said.

"But who hires a surrogate if they are perfectly capable of carrying their own child?

"Why would I trust someone else when I know I'll do a better job of taking care of my body than anyone?

"And I'll be the father and Nancy will be the mother.

"Having this baby doesn't make me any less of a man."

Beatie was born a girl and grew up in Hawaii where people thought she was a 'freak'

Beatie said he was afraid of how people would react when he gives birth.

"I want to make it easier for the next couple like us, but I'm afraid.

"Afraid of how people will react for our safety. I don't want to lose the life we have." Nancy, a mother of two, added: "We know this is a hard thing for some people to understand.

"But to us we're just a husband and wife who are having a baby."

*********************************************************************************************************************************
I just post the stories, for interest.. for everyone

Lord, what fools these mortals be!
- A Midsummer Night’s Dream, Act III, Scene ii

Voltaire said: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."

H.L.Mencken wrote:"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.”

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. Albert Einstein
Roman
Re: I DO NOT HAVE THE WORDS
April 04, 2008
Beatie is doing what he has decided to with the stuff he was born with. I do think he should've rather adopted or stayed childless than get pregnant (unlike many of my friends think), since he IS a man for fucks sake and bio-men don't get pregnant, but this case is already getting enough bashing as it is, so PLEASE don't start with the "he's really a she since "he" got preggo" -thing atleast. Some bigots never accept FtM's as men, whether they are pre- or post-transition and whether or not they get pregnant, so I think the FtM's have got enough of that shit already.
April 04, 2008
i did say i dont have the words. one question.. who is the donor?

But dont you see, this will make an impact on all others, the cf, ones, the ones who have it all removed. Can you imagine the kids if they find out, how their lives will be a living hell. imagine the kids being cruel because of it.

They have only just accepted 2 fathers or 2 mothers. and even then little kids are cruel monsters. so no only is it their lives that will be changed, its the childs life as well. Can you imagine it?

Remember how mean kids were to people with red hair or whatever like glasses, and this information will spread, and everyone will know. If it was not publicised, then people would forget, but to have oprah winfrey rubbing his belly. on a national tv show.

Why not think of the child? It seems odd for a cf to say that, but its true.

Its the way its heralded, regardless of the life that child will live.

Because you can isnt a justification, its an excuse.

*********************************************************************************************************************************

Voltaire said: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."

H.L.Mencken wrote:"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.”

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. Albert Einstein
CJ
April 04, 2008
Oh my, Just, oh my.doh face
April 04, 2008
apparently this isnt his first pregnancy.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/us_and_americas/article3628860.ece

Sterilisation is not a requirement for sex reassignment, so I decided to have chest reconstruction and testosterone therapy but kept my reproductive rights,” he writes. “Wanting to have a biological child is neither a male nor female desire but a human desire.” The couple, who have been together for ten years, run a custom screenprinting business in Bend, Oregon, where neighbours do not know that Mr Beatie was once a woman.

Mr Beatie’s first successful insemination ended in a life-threatening ectopic pregnancy with triplets that required surgery, resulting in the loss of all his embryos and his right Fallopian tube.

Anonymous User
April 04, 2008
Maybe I should re-phrase? I disagree strongly with Beatie's decision to get pregnant.

There's the point of kids bullying others from the pettiest of reasons (personally I was bullied for 9 years in a row when I was kid) and with Beatie's kid being in public now... *shakes head* I can only imagine what it's gonna be like later on.

Then, like you mentioned, there's the thing that they've only just accept same sex parents, so what's it gonna be for this kid?

And last, but not least, there's the fact that people like Beatie take credibility away from FtM's. I hear the "he's really a she, and that's all she's ever gonna be" crap day in, day out, and that's what I was talking about in the first post, to please not start that here. I'm a CF, and this board is one place I love to visit, so I'd hate to see that kinda bashing in here. Ofcourse, there are people who's opinion I cannot do anything about, but one can always hope, right?

So, you see, I'm not defending Beatie and his decision. In fact, I think it's bloody stupid. I re-read my first post, and I understand why you could think I was defending him, but... I just don't see any reason why I should.
April 04, 2008
ok, it was possibly i am reading it in english with my english brain. and i misunderstood it just the way it was phrased was confusing to this poor old brit LOL.

i have nothing against transgendered, i dont actually care what people are like so long as they are decent humans. gay or straight of transgendered. doesnt bother me one bit.

to me, everyone is human until they do something that makes them less so.

so misunderstandings on both sides ok roman..

Anonymous User
April 04, 2008
mercurior Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ok, it was possibly i am reading it in english
> with my english brain. and i misunderstood it just
> the way it was phrased was confusing to this poor
> old brit LOL.

Sarcastic, much? ô__o Really, I'm not always the easiest to understand (Gotta re-phrase and re-phrase and re-phrase IRL too, so... *shrugs*), so blame it on me. *goes in the corner*
April 04, 2008
it was sarcasm at me, self depreciating humour is what makes the brits famous wink

look it happens. dont worry. if you have seen british humour you will get it.

its nice to have a new person here.

blame in on both of us ok roman. i share part of the blame too. i hope you will post a lot more on this board, You are not to blame OK. I poke fun at my britishness a lot.

April 04, 2008
If he's pregnant, then he's not male anymore.eye rolling smiley
Valkyrie
April 05, 2008
What gets me about this is that it's actually considered news. Trans guys have been getting pregnant and having babies forever. If I did a little research, I could probably come up with other real-world examples of this. It's only our damn, baby-rabid culture that would consider this event newsworthy.

But I do agree that the fact that this dude willingly and happily agreed to get pregnant does call into question his transsexual status. Even though trans guys can and do become pregnant, they don't like it. I know many, many trans folks, and doing things associated with their birth gender is something a true transsexual is horrified and sickened by. Most transsexual men are utterly horrified by the thought of getting pregnant. To illustrate my point, here's a cartoon drawn by a trans guy that describes pregnancy as an "FTM (that's "Female to Male") Nightmare":

http://www.transe-generation.com/archive.asp?pgid=comic&RefID=5
April 05, 2008
exactly valkryie, i think that is what i was going for. To be reassigned to be a male, means essentially to my mind and to others, that you put away female things, and vice versa. I dont understand how someone who wants to be male, to be male and with everything that includes good and bad, then decides its ok for them to become pregnant. (of course there are exceptions but i dont count those).

Its mostly the pro breeder angle that gets my confused, im just dont understand how you could want to be male, and yet still want to be female at the same time.

thats in part what i meant by i dont have the words. i do apologise to all ftm, if they beleived me to be complaining about their lifestyle, I dont have that right. Its just the pro breeder in relation to this ftm, that i was so.. stunned about that he went on tv and had his belly rubbed by oprah. I am ok with people changing themselves to feel comfortable. I dont have the right to say whats right or wrong.

Seems to me he is more of a self publicist, and seeing what he can get out of it, which is like a lot of typical female breeders.

Anonymous User
April 05, 2008
Attempt No. 2. I'm sorry if this'll be a double post.

mercurior Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> exactly valkryie, i think that is what i was going
> for. To be reassigned to be a male, means
> essentially to my mind and to others, that you put
> away female things, and vice versa. I dont
> understand how someone who wants to be male, to be
> male and with everything that includes good and
> bad, then decides its ok for them to become
> pregnant. (of course there are exceptions but i
> dont count those).

Aye Aye.

> thats in part what i meant by i dont have the
> words. i do apologise to all ftm, if they beleived
> me to be complaining about their lifestyle, I dont
> have that right. Its just the pro breeder in
> relation to this ftm, that i was so.. stunned
> about that he went on tv and had his belly rubbed
> by oprah. I am ok with people changing themselves
> to feel comfortable. I dont have the right to say
> whats right or wrong.

*Personally* I don't see a reason why anyone should get insulted after it was made clear as to WHY you went speechless. Then again, I have very little respect for people who gotta breed despite some very good reason not to, anyway. (I know several FtM's who would start screaming bloody murder the moment they find out someone doesn't approve of Beatie's decision to get preggo and go public.)
Valkyrie
April 05, 2008
Another thing I wanted to add is that this gentleman is also taking a HUGE medical risk in getting pregnant after transitioning. Leaving female organs intact after taking all of that testosterone leaves you at a higher risk of certain kinds of cancer. It's really much safer to just get a total hysterectomy, especially prior to going on testosterone.

For those of you who are not familiar with the tragic tale of Robert Eads (the subject of the film "Southern Comfort"), he was a trans guy who came down with ovarian cancer and was turned away by TWENTY doctors before he finally found one who was "comfortable" with treating a male appearing and male-identified person who just happened to have female anatomy. Of course, by then it was too late, and he died needlessly.

This guy is a case of cancer just waiting to happen.
April 07, 2008
I bet the Pope has his dick in a big 'ol knot over this one! LOL
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login