Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Child put ahead of adults on the transplant list receives 2nd set of lungs.

Posted by Anonymous User 
http://t.nbcnews.com/health/dying-girl-10-received-two-sets-lungs-after-national-debate-6C10486627

So, when the first set of lungs failed, like most people predicted, a second set of lungs was given to this family over the heads of others on the list.

Isn't this why regulations were in place to fucking BEGIN WITH???
Yet ANOTHER Case of "Screw the Grown Ups - Save the CHILDREN!"
May 27, 2013
http://thestir.cafemom.com/big_kid/156039/dying_10yearold_cant_get_lifesaving

Here we go again - screw the adult! SAVE THE KYDS!!
We do no know enough about her general health. Will she need a new lung every two years? Will she be fully functional after the transplant? If she were doomed to a vegetative existence, wouldn't it make more sense to give a lung to an otherwise healthy person. It is a sad situation, but not the only sad one in our healthcare system.
author of article
I just wish it didn't take a little girl dying to remind people to put kids first.

Who wouldn't want that, she says.

Not I, said the evil Night Owl. Why on earth should the kid get the lungs first JUST because she's a kid? The commenters are displaying that they've put more thought into this than the original ranter. Organs have to be matched according to tissue compatibility and size and whatever else. After that, I can see putting the most severe case first, but in no circumstance would I say we should always put the kid ahead of an adult on a transplant list JUST because it's a kid.
Re: Yet ANOTHER Case of "Screw the Grown Ups - Save the CHILDREN!"
May 28, 2013
It is interesting how many in the comments are calling out the BS of the article grinning smiley
Like, you know. Size. A small child getting an adult lug? It won't *fit*.

CF is a genetic disease. Giving this kid a lug will only means she will need another transplant down the road. And she will never be truly healty. Also, people should get a grip: adults work and put their weight into the economy, children don't. So, an adult (who has probably dependants, be them children, elder parents, or simply society at large through social security) get priority.

In third world countries, the majority of the food goes to the one who earn the living (usually, the father), it isn't because they are eeebil, but because if daddy is too weak from hunger to work, everybody dies.
This is logic.

“I was talking about children that have not been properly house-trained. Left to their own impulses and indulged by doting or careless parents almost all children are yahoos. Loud, selfish, cruel, unaffectionate, jealous, perpetually striving for attention, empty-headed, for ever prating or if words fail them simply bawling, their voices grown huge from daily practice: the very worst company in the world. But what I dislike even more than the natural child is the affected child, the hulking oaf of seven or eight that skips heavily about with her hands dangling in front of her -- a little squirrel or bunny-rabbit -- and prattling away in a baby's voice.”

― Patrick O'Brian, The Truelove

lib'-er-ty: the freedom given to you to make the wrong decision, based on the reasoned belief that you will normally make the right one.
What do you expect from good ol' Cafe Moo?smile rolling left righteyes2
I swear the idiots who blog on that site are a spayshull breed of stupid!

jbs
May 28, 2013
In addition to the fact the poor kid's Moo says she could just get an adult lung and have it sized down to fit her and THEREFORE an adult in need of a lung transplant won't get it, the cut off age to get an adult lung is twelve. SO, children ages 12-18 are to be bypassed for a transplant as well as adults if the cow has her way! I am in awe this cunt thinks it's okay to deny other children, as well as adults, a lung transplant in order for HER kid to get one! I "get" that someone with a loved one, ANY loved one, would wish their family member could get a transplant first, but to publicly make a fucking stink about going to the top of the list for an age group to which they do not belong, passing by everyone else who are ALSO in the same life threatening situation, is AMAZINGLY selfish.the world 'fail' on flames

What I'd like to see a news report on is a story about a 12 or 13 y/o who ALSO is on a lung transplant waiting list and "fighting for new lungs" too. Let's see how THAT child and their family feels about this "poor dying girl" going first before themselves or their kid! Has anyone seen the movie, "Inhale" about the father of a kid on the transplant list attempting to purchase a new set of lungs illegally from Mexico? Unbeknownst to him in the beginning, on occasion, if the money is right, they literally murder a street kid in order to procure a matched organ for the paying customer. Perhaps THIS cunt thinks that's okay too, heartless bitch that she is!cutting a smiley with a chainsawfuck

------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- -------
If YOU are the "exception" to what I am saying, then why does my commentary bother you so much?
I don't hate your kids, I HATE YOU!
May 28, 2013
This is a textbook case of "mooh intuition" stomping over you know, actual doctors.

You can cut a lug to fit a smaller patient.
A little.
NOT a lot

Because it won't work if you cut it too much.

Docs had probably said as much to her, but of course she doesn't believe them.

“I was talking about children that have not been properly house-trained. Left to their own impulses and indulged by doting or careless parents almost all children are yahoos. Loud, selfish, cruel, unaffectionate, jealous, perpetually striving for attention, empty-headed, for ever prating or if words fail them simply bawling, their voices grown huge from daily practice: the very worst company in the world. But what I dislike even more than the natural child is the affected child, the hulking oaf of seven or eight that skips heavily about with her hands dangling in front of her -- a little squirrel or bunny-rabbit -- and prattling away in a baby's voice.”

lib'-er-ty: the freedom given to you to make the wrong decision, based on the reasoned belief that you will normally make the right one.
Well, this is a problem for many reasons. The first have already been cited; she's too young and she'd be taking a lung from someone in the appropriate age group, child 12+ or adult.

It's also been mentioned the matter of fit. I think this would be huge. Chyldren are still deveolping; she's not fully grown, so what would they have to do with an adult lung to make it fit inside a 10-year-old?

More than that though, if these parunts get their wish and the protocol/guidelines are glossed over, it sets a precedent, where ANY lung is going to be demanded to go to a chyld first.

I know that parunts believe their little sneauxflake are the most important thing in the world, but medicine and transplants in particular should not go this way. It's not someone's right to claim so-and-so's life is more important than someone else's, because they have an emotional stake in that person getting the transplant. It should be need-based, and with the guidelines for age/size left intact.
night owl
author of article
I just wish it didn't take a little girl dying to remind people to put kids first.

Who wouldn't want that, she says.

Not I, said the evil Night Owl. Why on earth should the kid get the lungs first JUST because she's a kid? The commenters are displaying that they've put more thought into this than the original ranter. Organs have to be matched according to tissue compatibility and size and whatever else. After that, I can see putting the most severe case first, but in no circumstance would I say we should always put the kid ahead of an adult on a transplant list JUST because it's a kid.
\

Blood type also has to be matched. I think an adult lung would be too big for a ten year old. Organs should be translated into the best match regardless of the list. It's a waste of a perfectly good organ if the organ is incompatible and the body rejects when it can go to somebody who is a better match and less likely to reject.
I will never be an organ donor because of stories like this. If I outlive my husband I won't allow his organs to be harvested either.

This kind of article would never be written about a CF adult. If the only good we are to this world is tax dollars and spare parts then I want no part of that
satansbitch
I will never be an organ donor because of stories like this. If I outlive my husband I won't allow his organs to be harvested either.

This kind of article would never be written about a CF adult. If the only good we are to this world is tax dollars and spare parts then I want no part of that
Exactly. Let the fuckers die. Most people are garbage anyway. I am not donating shit!
What was that one thread where they were donating a uterus? Or was it ovaries? I do not want those harvested, no matter how madly someone wants them.
night owl
What was that one thread where they were donating a uterus? Or was it ovaries? I do not want those harvested, no matter how madly someone wants them.

That is something that I need to add to my living will. I put donate all organs and tissue or everything usable.
As cruel as this sounds, there is a genetic test for cystic fibrosis and it is possible that if a "clump of cells" shows to have the disorder, then abortion is possible. If that is the case and parents choose abortion, cystic fibrosis could be eliminated in at most a century. But then we wouldn't have this kind of drama, would we?
May 29, 2013
One other aspect of the ethical and practical issues that this article never addressed was that most breeders do not donate body parts of their deceased children.
THAT is why there are not quantities of readily available lungs for children such as these.
cassia
One other aspect of the ethical and practical issues that this article never addressed was that most breeders do not donate body parts of their deceased children.
THAT is why there are not quantities of readily available lungs for children such as these.

Makes them seem kinda hypocritical, dontcha think?
May 29, 2013
cassia

That is an excellent point!thumbs upwink

RARE are the parents who are selfless enough to even be approachable about donating their dying or recently deceased child's organs. On the flip side of that coin though are the groups of parents of babies born with Anencephaly (most or all of it's brain missing) a few years ago who were denied the opportunity to donate their babies' organs. Most all of those babies will die within 30 days, if they even survive for several hours after birth it's unusual, but organ donation laws say the child has to be at least 30 days old to be a donor AND "brain dead", which poses a problem because, 1)Some of them have no brain, so it can't be brain dead, or 2) They have a functioning rudimentary brain stem which is generally accepted as "brain" activity. I think this is TOTAL horse shit! Countless healthy organs are wasted due to these woefully outdated and religious based ridiculous "laws":BS

SO, we have selfish parents of otherwise healthy kids who were killed in accidents who won't even consider organ donation and quite a few others with brainless babies who WANT to donate to give their baby's short life meaning and to help other children who have a chance at a normal life. While there may be other factors involved, I'd say the likely culprit of this type of nonsense is based in religious fundamentalists', "pro life" stances. The problem of organ donation could be "cured" in a day by cloning organs involving stem cells and/or stem cell research IF all the uber religious fucks would step back and stop making the asinine assertion that cloning is "killing babies" or sacrilicious or WHAT ever.the world 'fail' on flames

------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- -------
If YOU are the "exception" to what I am saying, then why does my commentary bother you so much?
I don't hate your kids, I HATE YOU!
Oh, look, a dying 10-year-old. At the risk of looking like a monstrous, cold-hearted cunt - who gives a fuck?

peace-n-quiet
satansbitch

Exactly. Let the fuckers die. Most people are garbage anyway. I am not donating shit!

Same. I'm absolutely not donating organs. Partly for this reason, and partly because I hate the idea of some doctor gutting me for spare parts when I'm not even cold yet. *shudder*

--------------

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it."
George Bernard Shaw

"An oyster can play catch if u only give it the oprotunity"
Some random YouTube commenter

"hate comments will be deleted!! fuckers!"
Some random YouTube uploader

Here's the thing, though: the kid has cystic fibrosis. A lung transplant will only delay for a short time the inevitable early death she was sentenced. The new lung will not cure her disease, but eventually become as useless as her current set of lungs in a few years. If any of you watched that show, 7th Heaven, the actress who played the youngest daughter (Ruthie) had a stepsister with CF in real life. The sister died a few years ago from the illness, despite having had a double lung transplant a few years prior.

Another person could use that lung and live for another several decades. Save the organs for when it will do some actual good and improve quality of life for a significant period of time.

Grant the girl her final wishes, let her have some fun, and let her die at home in familiar surroundings and with loved ones. And then never breed again because to have another child with CF ought to be a punishable offense.

------------------------------------------------------------
"Why children take so long to grow? They eat and drink like pig and give nothing back. Must find way to accelerate process..."
- Dr. Yi Suchong, Bioshock

"Society does not need more children; but it does need more loved children. Quite literally, we cannot afford unloved children - but we pay heavily for them every day. There should not be the slightest communal concern when a woman elects to destroy the life of her thousandth-of-an-ounce embryo. But all society should rise up in alarm when it hears that a baby that is not wanted is about to be born."
- Garrett Hardin

"I feel like there's a message involved here somehow, but then I couldn't stop laughing at all the plotholes, like the part when North Korea has food."
- Youtube commentor referring to a North Korean cartoon.

"Reality is a bitch when it slowly crawls out of your vagina and shits in your lap."
- Reddit comment

"Bitch wants a baby, so we're gonna fuck now. #bareback"
- Cambion

Oh whatever. Abortion doctors are crimestoppers."
- Miss Hannigan
May 30, 2013
paragon schnitzophonic
Here's the thing, though: the kid has cystic fibrosis. A lung transplant will only delay for a short time the inevitable early death she was sentenced. The new lung will not cure her disease, but eventually become as useless as her current set of lungs in a few years. If any of you watched that show, 7th Heaven, the actress who played the youngest daughter (Ruthie) had a stepsister with CF in real life. The sister died a few years ago from the illness, despite having had a double lung transplant a few years prior.

Another person could use that lung and live for another several decades. Save the organs for when it will do some actual good and improve quality of life for a significant period of time.

Grant the girl her final wishes, let her have some fun, and let her die at home in familiar surroundings and with loved ones. And then never breed again because to have another child with CF ought to be a punishable offense.

THIS.
As it had been said: child is going to die soon. Changes of finding a cure for CF in the upcoming years are low.

To me, we should start a campain to make sure people tests for genetically trasmitted diseases before thinking about breeding. If you are a CF or huntington carrier and you really want to grow a child, then adopt one.

-raises hand- CF carrier right here. I got tested after my nephew was diagnosed. Not the reason I decided to not have kyds, but a nice answer to bingo's.
Well, Husband has went to see his sister this weekend. I did not go because long travel is hard on me physically.

There is one good thing about this (actually a few bouncing and laughing)

I don't have to see this whiny woman on FOX News all day every day. She's REALLY starting to grate on my nerves!

TV is OFF!

She bitches and moans on how "everyone should be treated equally" but she really doesn't mean it. She actually means "bump MY kid to the top of the list in the name of being "equal", then I'm done, stick a fork in me, I don't give a fuck anymore".

I can appreciate the anguish a parent must go through in situations like this. But, there comes a time, when all efforts are exhausted, and it is time to just "let go".

Think they've been saying they expect the girl to live a couple of weeks? Seems like I've been hearing about it for around a week now. What's the fucking point? TIME HAS RUN OUT! Accept it and make peace with it.

Wondered about the size difference of an adult lung and a child's chest cavity. Apparently, they would have to carve off about half of the adult lung to make it fit. I find this extremely offensive. Hey, let's just carve the perfectly good, healthy, transplantable ADULT lung to shreds to make it fit where it doesn't belong, and tell the next adult on the list "hey, sorry, but someone younger than you trumped you". Is this not age discrimination? I suppose since it's a CHILD that it isn't discrimination. MY ASS!

Been trying to not argue with Husband over it. He has grown children, and although things are cold between them, and they haven't communicated in many years, he sometimes gets a touch of the kid-brain fever. He will sometimes sympathize with crap like this. NOT ME!

As far as organ donation goes - not for me - but because I think my carcass could serve a much better purpose. I want to donate my body to science strictly, NO organ donation. Mom doesn't like this. She's all "where will I go to visit you". I'm like (a) you're probably not going to outlive me, and (b) they return the cremated remains. The way I see it, yes, organ donation can save a few lives. But body donation can do two things...make someone a doctor who will go on to treat/save many many lives over their career, or if used in tissue research, could help find the cure to a dreaded disease. Also, live in Tennessee, and UT has the "body farm". Donated bodies are left in various environmental conditions to study decomposition rates, etc. to help law enforcement correctly prosecute murderers. These seem like noble things to me. People are REALLY needing to get over these sentimental ideas of not donating organs/bodies. Would be a wonderful testament to the person's life, instead of a waste being pumped full of formaldyhide and buried in the ground. Husband wants to be donated too, since it would save me financial woes, because due to health and financial issues, I only have $10,000 life insurance. He jokes "just drop me at the door of the VA and tell them to take care of my ass". smiling smiley

As many people have mentioned, also chaps my ass over the "life is precious" stance against stem cell research. Way I see it, this is also a way of thumbing my nose at them. bouncing and laughing
June 05, 2013
Well, don't look now, but here are the parunts being able to circumvent the law. Even though Katherine Sebelius of Health and Human Services decline to intervene (even at the urging of several congress folks), a Federal Judge has gone over her head and said that this 10-year-old can be added to the Adult recipient list.

How long till they just decide that every chyld deserves any available organ before an adult gets a chance at a transplant? Looks like we're well on our way.

And if they do this transplant and the kyd dies anyways because the lungs don't fit? Well, too bad for the next person on the Adult list, your lungs just went in the trash.

http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/local/Parents-of-Sarah-Murnaghan-Take-Lung-Battle-to-Federal-Court-210288231.html

I seriously don't want to live in a world where we adults are going to be constantly shoved aside for something like this, because a kyd needs it as well -- even though it's the wrong size -- and so, "kyds must come first!"

It's sad for the kyd, but there's a reason why there are adult and chyld lists for organ recipients. And one of the importan reasons is -- if not officially -- because an adult will always be screwed over if a chyld is in need.
June 06, 2013
Maybe they should just take a lung and maybe a kidney from every (living) CF person to give to the chyldren. We are selfish for wanting to hoard those for ourselves when there are needy children. They take everything else from us, why not. Mr. T: I pitty tha foold

The judge in this case is way out of line, as a beaurocrat overriding medical judgement and standards. And to have ONLY this child on the list while there are something like thirty other kids NOT on the adult list. WTF, I guess they should all sue too.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login