Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

"Please Help My Son!"

Posted by johnnybsterile 
"Please Help My Son!"
July 27, 2013
Due to signing two petitions about animal cruelty recently on Change.org, I guess now I'm on their mailing list. Probably some of you are too. I recently received an email to sign a petition from the moo of a 19 year old who's gotten himself in a heap of trouble.

The petition:

Release My Son Justin Carter - Being Prosecuted For A Facebook Comment
By Jennifer Carter
Maitland, Florida

Sign Jennifer's Petition

My son, Justin Carter, was arrested on February 14, 2013 (yes, Valentine’s Day) because of a sarcastic comment he posted on Facebook about a computer game which was then taken out of context by a complete stranger! Please sign my petition to help release my son, Justin.

My son has been in jail for months because we can’t afford to pay the half million dollar bail money. It took a month before he was even questioned and he spent his 19th birthday behind bars. To this day, Justin has not had a trial. No weapons were found during a search of his apartment, and so we’re really confused and heartbroken that our family is being violated like this.

While stuck in jail, Justin has been assaulted a number of times. He has been locked in solitary confinement for weeks. I urgently need your help.

Justin’s a good kid. He wouldn’t hurt anyone, let alone a child. What I understand happened is that he was in an argument on the League of Legends website, which continued on a Facebook page, and someone on Facebook called him crazy and messed up in the head.

So he responded in a sarcastic tone by saying something along the lines of 'Oh yeah, I'm real messed up in the head, I'm going to go shoot up a school full of kids and eat their still, beating hearts'. His response may have been in bad taste, but it was written in a non-threatening way that didn’t translate well online. None of his friends or family would even question his intention as anything other than a poor choice of words. Things got out of control, but my son is not a felon and terrorist as he’s currently being charged!

The authorities’ over-reaction is ruining Justin’s life. And it’s setting a dangerous example trying to punish kids who often say strange things that I believe are protected under freedom of speech. The justice system’s abuse of Justin is wasting time and money that could otherwise be spent to help people who honestly need it!

I hope you will sign this petition. I’d like Justin to be released. And I would like a more reasonable law to be put in place so this doesn’t happen to anyone else again.

July 11 update: We still need your help. Thanks to an anonymous donor, Justin is now out on bail. I'm happy to have him out right now, but my son is still facing a felony terrorism charge and years in prison if found guilty. I have said all along that his Facebook joke was made in poor taste and understand why it raised some concern, but Justin has no prior record and he was clearly not actually threatening anyone. Please sign and share to continue supporting Justin's campaign. We need to make sure he's not labeled as a terrorist simply for making a Facebook comment. Thank you.

While I feel for this kyd, I can't harbor much sympathy for him here. He goes on Facebook and makes a comment like that and expects to get away with it. The sad truth is we don't have much "freedom of speech" anymore. This is thanks to current events that just seem to happen on a regular basis. Last year alone we had a guy shoot up several people in a movie theater, then only months later a twisted asshole goes into a school and shoots up a bunch of elementary kids. Then this year, the Boston Marathon bombing. People have to get their heads out of their asses. You can't say whatever you want to anymore, especially on social media websites. They can be (and are) construed as possible terrorist activity and the authorities WILL act. Yeah, this kyd was probably just kidding, but how do we know that? The authorities are reacting to posts like these as real situations because real situations are occurring! A few days after the anthrax scare a few years back, some local moron thought it would be a funny joke to mail his aunt baby powder and tell her it was anthrax. Well, he got his ass arrested and locked up. It wasn't funny anymore. People have to wake up and realize you have to watch everything you say and do, everywhere. Sign of the times. A hard lesson. Don't blame the system. Thank the 911 terrorists, James Holmes, Klebold and Harris and Adam Lanza. We live in a different world. The police are only doing their jobs.
jbs
Re: "Please Help My Son!"
July 27, 2013
johnnybsterile
Due to signing two petitions about animal cruelty recently on Change.org, I guess now I'm on their mailing list. Probably some of you are too. I recently received an email to sign a petition from the moo of a 19 year old who's gotten himself in a heap of trouble.

The petition:

Release My Son Justin Carter - Being Prosecuted For A Facebook Comment
By Jennifer Carter
Maitland, Florida

Sign Jennifer's Petition

My son, Justin Carter, was arrested on February 14, 2013 (yes, Valentine’s Day) because of a sarcastic comment he posted on Facebook about a computer game which was then taken out of context by a complete stranger! Please sign my petition to help release my son, Justin.

My son has been in jail for months because we can’t afford to pay the half million dollar bail money. It took a month before he was even questioned and he spent his 19th birthday behind bars. To this day, Justin has not had a trial. No weapons were found during a search of his apartment, and so we’re really confused and heartbroken that our family is being violated like this.

While stuck in jail, Justin has been assaulted a number of times. He has been locked in solitary confinement for weeks. I urgently need your help.

Justin’s a good kid. He wouldn’t hurt anyone, let alone a child. What I understand happened is that he was in an argument on the League of Legends website, which continued on a Facebook page, and someone on Facebook called him crazy and messed up in the head.

So he responded in a sarcastic tone by saying something along the lines of 'Oh yeah, I'm real messed up in the head, I'm going to go shoot up a school full of kids and eat their still, beating hearts'. His response may have been in bad taste, but it was written in a non-threatening way that didn’t translate well online. None of his friends or family would even question his intention as anything other than a poor choice of words. Things got out of control, but my son is not a felon and terrorist as he’s currently being charged!

The authorities’ over-reaction is ruining Justin’s life. And it’s setting a dangerous example trying to punish kids who often say strange things that I believe are protected under freedom of speech. The justice system’s abuse of Justin is wasting time and money that could otherwise be spent to help people who honestly need it!

I hope you will sign this petition. I’d like Justin to be released. And I would like a more reasonable law to be put in place so this doesn’t happen to anyone else again.

July 11 update: We still need your help. Thanks to an anonymous donor, Justin is now out on bail. I'm happy to have him out right now, but my son is still facing a felony terrorism charge and years in prison if found guilty. I have said all along that his Facebook joke was made in poor taste and understand why it raised some concern, but Justin has no prior record and he was clearly not actually threatening anyone. Please sign and share to continue supporting Justin's campaign. We need to make sure he's not labeled as a terrorist simply for making a Facebook comment. Thank you.

While I feel for this kyd, I can't harbor much sympathy for him here. He goes on Facebook and makes a comment like that and expects to get away with it. The sad truth is we don't have much "freedom of speech" anymore. This is thanks to current events that just seem to happen on a regular basis. Last year alone we had a guy shoot up several people in a movie theater, then only months later a twisted asshole goes into a school and shoots up a bunch of elementary kids. Then this year, the Boston Marathon bombing. People have to get their heads out of their asses. You can't say whatever you want to anymore, especially on social media websites. They can be (and are) construed as possible terrorist activity and the authorities WILL act. Yeah, this kyd was probably just kidding, but how do we know that? The authorities are reacting to posts like these as real situations because real situations are occurring! A few days after the anthrax scare a few years back, some local moron thought it would be a funny joke to mail his aunt baby powder and tell her it was anthrax. Well, he got his ass arrested and locked up. It wasn't funny anymore. People have to wake up and realize you have to watch everything you say and do, everywhere. Sign of the times. A hard lesson. Don't blame the system. Thank the 911 terrorists, James Holmes, Klebold and Harris and Adam Lanza. We live in a different world. The police are only doing their jobs.
jbs

In this day and age, when a small boy cannot eat a Pop Tart into the shape of a gun without there being a major stink, HOW on God's green Earth can someone really think that they'd get away with something like this? Granted, he doesn't deserve the uber-charges. But how could he not be aware?
July 27, 2013
So some eighteen year old threatens violence on a public social media site, the police arrest him, and his mother is arguing for his release because he was arrested on Valentine's Day?
Is this story from The Onion?
July 27, 2013
I do get these Change.org petitions. I delete most of them. Only animal-related ones interest me. That kid was quite clueless at 19 years of age. His moo could have helped him by raising him right.
July 27, 2013
Tiquer
So some eighteen year old threatens violence on a public social media site, the police arrest him, and his mother is arguing for his release because he was arrested on Valentine's Day?
Is this story from The Onion?

It's all true. The parents were on CNN a couple of months ago pleading for funds and for a judge to cancel the trial in favor of time served plus probation/community service.

Back in the dark ages before social media, I used to teach freshman composition to college kids. Even then, I told them to avoid sarcasm, and to write with plenty of qualifiers ("as if I were planning to kill you," NOT "I'm planning to kill you"). I warned them that when we speak, words convey only 14% of our meaning (gestures, voice tone, stance, facial expression do the rest). but when we write, words convey 100% and must be safe from misinterpretation.

I'm actually on the kid's side here. Being a jerk (and a poor communicator) is natural to high school- and college-age kids; the law should recognize that they're not terrorists.
July 27, 2013
Didn't we talk about this kid before? We could say he's stupid, but maybe he's just tone-deaf to the current social climate. I think most of us could easily be in this position, which is I think what lead to the reminder in this thread. We know we aren't condoning violence, but in this age of paranoia, who can say it won't be interpreted that way by authorities?

I suspect that ever since people stopped regularly killing each other over disagreements they have been expressing hyperbolic revenge fantasies. It's a common way to talk and it helps people blow off steam without causing any real harm. When people stop saying things like "I wish he were dead" it either means we've gone back to just killing one another or we are so unfree that we are terrified of being thrown in jail for saying stupid things like that.

So is the kid stupid? Well, he clearly wasn't tuned in to the new world order with its culture of fear, since it doesn't look as if he planned to make a test case out of himself. But do I blame him? No, I blame the people who can't apply common sense and who are trampling on our civil liberties in the name of safety.

That said, I don't think he should get out of it because "he's just a kyd," "he's a good kyd" and the like. He should get out of it because it is fucking ridiculous, but it should set a precedent for future cases at the same time.
July 27, 2013
My husband makes very tasteless jokes about bombs sometimes, purely for reaction... I've told him if he ever does this in an airport or a border crossing or anywhere like that I'm going to say I don't know him and we'll be divorced when he gets out of jail. Since this is now my only reaction to this bomb joking, I've been hearing it less and less. Hmm!
July 27, 2013
Presto
My husband makes very tasteless jokes about bombs sometimes, purely for reaction... I've told him if he ever does this in an airport or a border crossing or anywhere like that I'm going to say I don't know him and we'll be divorced when he gets out of jail. Since this is now my only reaction to this bomb joking, I've been hearing it less and less. Hmm!

I don't make jokes about anything, I believe I'm watched from my education and work history. That's all on record, I've even been in highly restricted gov laboratories. That's all on record.

But, I am not the Genius, I am The Mechanic. I don't "know" anything. Close, but no cigar.

I am absolutely sure that they watch me though. If you have any Sci ed., they do watch you. This was known like 20 years ago. Why do you think I conduct most of my business in parking lots? grinning smiley

They do watch certain people, seriously.
July 28, 2013
In general in life, people think that they can say whatever they want. You cannot say whatever you want just because you want to. There are matters of commonsense, tact, decency and the like. I guess it is safe to say that he won't do this shit again!

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````
"I have found little that is 'good' about human beings on the whole. In my experience most of them are trash, no matter whether they publicly subscribe to this or that ethical doctrine or to none at all."
~Sigmund Freud
Anonymous User
July 28, 2013
yurble
Didn't we talk about this kid before? We could say he's stupid, but maybe he's just tone-deaf to the current social climate. I think most of us could easily be in this position, which is I think what lead to the reminder in this thread. We know we aren't condoning violence, but in this age of paranoia, who can say it won't be interpreted that way by authorities?

I suspect that ever since people stopped regularly killing each other over disagreements they have been expressing hyperbolic revenge fantasies. It's a common way to talk and it helps people blow off steam without causing any real harm. When people stop saying things like "I wish he were dead" it either means we've gone back to just killing one another or we are so unfree that we are terrified of being thrown in jail for saying stupid things like that.

So is the kid stupid? Well, he clearly wasn't tuned in to the new world order with its culture of fear, since it doesn't look as if he planned to make a test case out of himself. But do I blame him? No, I blame the people who can't apply common sense and who are trampling on our civil liberties in the name of safety.

That said, I don't think he should get out of it because "he's just a kyd," "he's a good kyd" and the like. He should get out of it because it is fucking ridiculous, but it should set a precedent for future cases at the same time.

Thank you.

To be honest, the stuff this kid was arrested for is stuff that half the people on this forum could be arrested for.

That is totally insane, and however we might feel about moo trying to use the "he's just a kyd" line, this is inexcusable whether he was 10 or 50. No one should be defending the actions of the police in this case. It is obvious to anyone with 2 working brain cells he was being sarcastic.

But this is the America we live in now.
Anonymous User
July 28, 2013
lilin_unite
yurble

Thank you.

To be honest, the stuff this kid was arrested for is stuff that half the people on this forum could be arrested for.

My thoughts excactly. I usually don't agree with breeders and this whole sappy campaign disgusts me but they do have a point. By that logic I could get every single one of my chilhood bullies and quite a few customers at my old retail job arrested.Hell,People say worse stuff in almost every newspaper comment section. I get that they rather arrest one "terrorist" too many but seriously? They keep this guy locked up for quite some time for a stupid comment while rapists get away with a slap on the wrist half of the time. What a waste of money.
July 28, 2013
lilin_unite
That is totally insane, and however we might feel about moo trying to use the "he's just a kyd" line, this is inexcusable whether he was 10 or 50.

Short-sighted and self-centered are the words that come to mind. She's trying to get him excused on the grounds that he's an exception to the rule, rather than arguing that the rules are wrong and need to be changed. That's typical breeder: not concerned about anything outside of themselves and their genetic extensions.

Hell, she probably applauded measures like this "for the chyyyldren" when her son was younger. (That's just speculation, but her entire argument for his release provides insight into how she perceives things.) People like this are responsible for the same attitude that led to her son's imprisonment.
Anonymous User
July 28, 2013
yurble
lilin_unite
That is totally insane, and however we might feel about moo trying to use the "he's just a kyd" line, this is inexcusable whether he was 10 or 50.

Short-sighted and self-centered are the words that come to mind. She's trying to get him excused on the grounds that he's an exception to the rule, rather than arguing that the rules are wrong and need to be changed. That's typical breeder: not concerned about anything outside of themselves and their genetic extensions.

Hell, she probably applauded measures like this "for the chyyyldren" when her son was younger. (That's just speculation, but her entire argument for his release provides insight into how she perceives things.) People like this are responsible for the same attitude that led to her son's imprisonment.

Good point. Why isn't she calling this out as the utter fascism it is, rather than trying to act like her 19-year-old child is "just a little boy who didn't know what he was doing"? You're right -- it's an incredibly selfish and narrow way to see this issue.

She had a great chance to put this on the forefront, and she blew it in favor of the typical breeder lowing.
July 28, 2013
I admit the kid getting arrested was overboard but his moo's attitude doesn't make me have any sympathy for him. MY chyuld is speshul. He never does anything wrong. That's all I hear in moo's little petition.
July 30, 2013
I take most social media with a grain of salt. I also did this with the Trayvon Martin case (oooh he had a pic of a gun in his cell phone...if I deleted friends because "gun pic=thug" I would have maybe 10 people left.) I think most of it is bravado and kid talk.

That said, you cannot yell FIRE in a crowded theater and not expect repercussions.

I do think the arrest is overboard if the context is the truth, but mooing and lowing immediately make me skeptical and make me wonder whether there is more to the story.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
From a bottle cap message on a Magic Hat #9 beer: Condoms Prevent Minivans
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I want to pick up a bus full of unruly kids and feed them gummi bears and crack, then turn them loose in Hobby Lobby to ransack the place. They will all be wearing T shirts that say "You Could Have Prevented This."
July 30, 2013
There is a definite hypocrisy on this-this kid said something on a chat or something and he is locked away, while Black Panthers and movie stars solicit murder for a guy found not guilty of criminal charges and nobody cries foul.
July 30, 2013

This is the answer she needs in the petition.

“I was talking about children that have not been properly house-trained. Left to their own impulses and indulged by doting or careless parents almost all children are yahoos. Loud, selfish, cruel, unaffectionate, jealous, perpetually striving for attention, empty-headed, for ever prating or if words fail them simply bawling, their voices grown huge from daily practice: the very worst company in the world. But what I dislike even more than the natural child is the affected child, the hulking oaf of seven or eight that skips heavily about with her hands dangling in front of her -- a little squirrel or bunny-rabbit -- and prattling away in a baby's voice.”

― Patrick O'Brian, The Truelove

lib'-er-ty: the freedom given to you to make the wrong decision, based on the reasoned belief that you will normally make the right one.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login