Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

But... we'd lose what made my snowflake (And me) special!! (potential cure for down's syndrome)

Posted by Anonymous User 
http://www.nbcnews.com/health/could-it-be-cure-breakthrough-prompts-down-syndrome-soul-searching-6C10879213

I just read this abortion about a potential treatment for Down's Syndrome.

Excerpt:

If Down syndrome were completely cured, the world would lose something from the absence of that culture," said Skotko, who has a sister with the condition. "There is something positive that people with Down syndrome contribute to the world."

ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME?? That would be like saying we shouldn't bother finding a cure for cancer because of how 'inspiring' the patients are. The concept of some of these parents NOT treating their child if treatment were available is so goddamn offensive to me.
Re: But... we'd lose what made my snowflake (And me) special!!
August 11, 2013
No. Fuck that. Anyone who knowingly brings a child into existence with a disability like that is just cruel and selfish. thumbs updown

--------------

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it."
George Bernard Shaw

"An oyster can play catch if u only give it the oprotunity"
Some random YouTube commenter

"hate comments will be deleted!! fuckers!"
Some random YouTube uploader

And we're selfish? Down's syndrome cure
August 11, 2013
Why end suffering if it takes away culture?

To hell with the kids it's really all about being "special" for the disgusting parents.

http://www.nbcnews.com/health/could-it-be-cure-breakthrough-prompts-down-syndrome-soul-searching-6C10879213

Could it be a 'cure'? Breakthrough prompts Down syndrome soul-searching
JoNel Aleccia NBC News

In the 14 years since her daughter, Rachel, was born with Down syndrome, Jawanda Mast has always been clear that she’d change the condition if she could.

“I couldn’t love her more, but I would give almost anything to take away that extra chromosome,” the Olathe, Kansas, mom wrote on her blog. “While I may know she’s perfect, the world doesn’t.”

But when Massachusetts scientists announced recently that they’ve found a way to silence the chromosome that causes trisomy 21, also known as Down syndrome, it rocked Mast – and the rest of the disability community.

“It’s so hard to imagine you could actually do that,” Mast told NBC News. “Yes, I would take away the challenges, I would take away the health risks. But now I also stop and say, ‘Oh my goodness, how would that impact the rest of her?’”

Hailed as a “cure in a Petri dish,” the research by scientists at the University of Massachusetts Medical School is the first to find that it may be possible to switch off the genetic material responsible for the condition that causes cognitive delays, heart defects and shortened lifespans.

The development is expected to help create new treatments for problems caused by Down syndrome -- but it also raises the prospect of eliminating the condition entirely.

Since it became public last month, the breakthrough has sparked a firestorm of reaction among parents, advocates, ethicists and people with the condition, said Dr. Brian Skotko, a medical geneticist and co-director of the Down Syndrome Program at Massachusetts General Hospital.

rest at link

I completely agree with you! Since when is science allowed to advance and find a way to root out and cure a problematic birth defect that affects the carrier for the rest of their lives? I'll tell you when, in the BULLSHIT era! Specifically, in the year of our Lord 19Fucking Everything Revolves Around You, Madam!

Please, continue to openly oppose this miracle of modern medicine that could not only treat your own suffering child, but save future generations from what is, essentially, a fatal birth defect! Because you, my dears, are fucking martyrs! And your children should be grateful that you are on the front lines every day, like an overstuffed "Iraq Veteran" Build-a-Bear, fighting to ensure that they get to continue being teased and bullied in school and treated like a moron solely because of how they look and talk! Grateful, I say!

How dare these scientists even ATTEMPT to find a cure to a defect that affects 1 out of 700 babies! You'd think that they were trying to do something to help the children of the world! Madness! Everyone knows that science only exists to develop and design the newest SUV cup-holders and A/C units, and make chicken nuggets easier and quicker to cook! Scientists, get with the freaking program! You were told early on that you were only allowed to research ways to make Moos' lives easier! Now, you get back to your little chemistry sets and make some REAL breakthroughs! Before these blimps decide that they're not gonna stand for this bullshit anymore and crush your egg-heads with an ass cheek!
August 11, 2013
I wasn't aware that people with a genetic disorder causing mental retardation had a culture. Isn't it just a dumbed down version of mainstream culture that the people caring for them introduce them to? Unlike, for instance, the Matsés of the Amazon, who do have a culture, which is being rapidly destroyed by development which is being done in the name of those of us in developed countries, including people with Down's syndrome.

Quite frankly, I think their culture is a lot more important and we should be doing what we can to allow indigenous peoples the opportunity to continue to have their culture* by reducing our impact on the world so that there is room for them. In other words, stop breeding! In particular, stop creating people who are too stupid to contribute anything to solving the world's problems, and can only suck resources, and then object to improving their utility and quality of life!

Gah! These fucking idiot breeders really need to be sacrificed to some volcano deity.

* Although I support the right of individuals to decide they don't want to be a part of that culture. Most indigenous cultures aren't cultures I'd want to be a part of; they tend to be quite sex-segregated and childfreedom is not an option.
August 11, 2013
Those idiots. It is always the high-functioning one who bleats and moohs about how special and important their chosen syndrome is. A lot of Down Syndrome people are very, very low functioning.

Good to see we can eliminate this syndrome perhaps.

“I was talking about children that have not been properly house-trained. Left to their own impulses and indulged by doting or careless parents almost all children are yahoos. Loud, selfish, cruel, unaffectionate, jealous, perpetually striving for attention, empty-headed, for ever prating or if words fail them simply bawling, their voices grown huge from daily practice: the very worst company in the world. But what I dislike even more than the natural child is the affected child, the hulking oaf of seven or eight that skips heavily about with her hands dangling in front of her -- a little squirrel or bunny-rabbit -- and prattling away in a baby's voice.”

― Patrick O'Brian, The Truelove

lib'-er-ty: the freedom given to you to make the wrong decision, based on the reasoned belief that you will normally make the right one.
August 11, 2013
byrdistheword
Dear Moos who oppose this treatment,

I completely agree with you! Since when is science allowed to advance and find a way to root out and cure a problematic birth defect that affects the carrier for the rest of their lives? I'll tell you when, in the BULLSHIT era! Specifically, in the year of our Lord 19Fucking Everything Revolves Around You, Madam!

Please, continue to openly oppose this miracle of modern medicine that could not only treat your own suffering child, but save future generations from what is, essentially, a fatal birth defect! Because you, my dears, are fucking martyrs! And your children should be grateful that you are on the front lines every day, like an overstuffed "Iraq Veteran" Build-a-Bear, fighting to ensure that they get to continue being teased and bullied in school and treated like a moron solely because of how they look and talk! Grateful, I say!

How dare these scientists even ATTEMPT to find a cure to a defect that affects 1 out of 700 babies! You'd think that they were trying to do something to help the children of the world! Madness! Everyone knows that science only exists to develop and design the newest SUV cup-holders and A/C units, and make chicken nuggets easier and quicker to cook! Scientists, get with the freaking program! You were told early on that you were only allowed to research ways to make Moos' lives easier! Now, you get back to your little chemistry sets and make some REAL breakthroughs! Before these blimps decide that they're not gonna stand for this bullshit anymore and crush your egg-heads with an ass cheek!

A fine sentiment, if I do say so meself!
Ugh,this reminds me of deaf people who oppose implants for their affected children because they don't want their culture ( sign language etc.) to die out smile rolling left righteyes2 I once saw a news segment on that topic and there was doctor who said if the childs parents are also deaf there's little to no chance they will consent to an implant...But yeah childfree people are soo selfish,right ?:eyebrows
August 11, 2013
The selfishness of these Moos takes my breath away. They may like the attention they get from their spayshul little toddler, but what about when the kid is 30 or 40 and the parents are gone? How do they make sure their kids are protected from the predators of the world?

I recently attended a seminar that was given by my town's top Alzheimer's expert from our teaching hospital. He reported the Alzheimer's rate in Down's people is almost 100%. And they get it much earlier than everyone else--they get it when they are 40.

My own sister insisted on amnio for both her pregnancies even though she was under 35. She had worked with disabled kids and definitely would have aborted a Down's fetus.

Why someone would want to birth one when it's avoidable is beyond me.
August 11, 2013
polkadot
Ugh,this reminds me of deaf people who oppose implants for their affected children because they don't want their culture ( sign language etc.) to die out smile rolling left righteyes2 I once saw a news segment on that topic and there was doctor who said if the childs parents are also deaf there's little to no chance they will consent to an implant...But yeah childfree people are soo selfish,right ?:eyebrows

i can understand it in a way with deaf people, who might be concerned that the child could forget how to sign and therefore communicate with them through that means, but you always hear of this "a better life for my child", then they are denying the kids the good health to be able to live better. and it is disturbing this is because "it will remove something special". i am going to bet if they time travelled to 1899 and asked parents if removing vitamin deficiencies, tuberculosis, small pox, polio and the myriad of diseases and birth defects we can now fix would destroy that "specialness" of their culture, the parents of yore would give them the hairy eyeball and lock these new fangled parents in the attic for being crazy.
August 11, 2013
Has anyone asked the person who atually HAS Down's Syndrome what he or she would like? I'm sure that the answer would be to "be like everyone else." Retards don't have a culture. They have health problems and handlers and SSI checks. Since something like 85% of fetuses that test positive for Down's are being aborted, I would think that this would be a slightly better solution!
August 11, 2013
polkadot

Yeah, at one point I did take sign language and was shocked to find that many in the deaf community felt this way and in many cases, adults who were deaf would get a significant amount of grief from other deaf people in the community if they decided to get an implant.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Shrieking babbies are the most effective birth control on earth.
August 12, 2013
I now believe some people need brain transplant.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Don't you know how to deal with children?!"
"I don't like animals who act on instinct."
I think you're on to something Akihiko.
Not sure how many people here know the trainwreck of Kelle Hampton (those GOMIers will, for sure) but I can see her fangirls who all want "downies" of their own getting all upset about losing the "culture". This is partly due to Kelle misrepresenting DS, due to having a rather high functioning child so far, Nella still being a toddler (so less marked difference between her peers) and her fangirls being idiots. There are people who get fired up that something like 90% of fetuses with a DS diagnosis are aborted because of course we all know that the only things wrong with DS babies are they look a bit different (heavy sarcasm). Most of these unicorn types forget that many with DS have severe health complications (often ones incompatible with life), mental and physical delays, and many remain dependent for their entire life. Which, due to medical advances can be a very long one. Some are very low-functioning. Not all DS babies/children/adults are the high functioning individuals often shown in posters for DS awareness and the like.

I have a cousin with DS. He was born in the days before ultrasounds and amniocentesis. Guarantee you my aunt and uncle, if they had these kind of advantages, would have jumped all over it. My cousin has had numerous health problems over the years, is still dependent in his 40s, and now faces alzheimer's and such. Awesome!
August 12, 2013
Reminds me of an episode of that old show, "Touched by an Angel," in which a couple ponders aborting their Down Syndrome fetus but the angels are sent to help them change their minds... smile rolling left righteyes2
The NBC article mentions there are ethical questions raised by putting an end to trisomy 21 symptoms, but not one of these ethics/moralist boards seem to make a peep over people knowingly producing humans that are disabled in a way that guarantees health problems and an inability to be a functional member of society.

And what culture? Are retards birthing and raising other retards and passing on unique language, religion, dress, and any other traditions and customs? Do they have a homeland, have they created a self-sustaining society anywhere? No. As yurble said, tards just have a dumbed down version of whatever society they were raised in. They are a genetic abnormality that pops up in every population from time to time, that if allowed to survive, requires extra care and resources for life.

Parents’ bleating over how awful this medical breakthrough is are just pissed that fewer people will be joining them in the misery that is raising
tards, that having a tard will be seen by more people as an intentionally harmful choice and thus their selfish martyr bullshit will be exposed, and of course, they would have to admit that the loaf they pushed out is not special, but a dud.
Wow. And breeders call us selfish?

"You can't fix my disabled, suffering tard! What will I be a martyr over if you do that?"

You know what? I think the disabilities movement has reached the same level of insane, drooling PC that affected the fat movement.

They've gotten to the point where being "tolerant" means "it's bigoted to admit that being disabled, retarded, and dying early is a bad thing."

IT'S A BAD THING, YOU FUCKING IDIOTS.
August 12, 2013
gymrat
Has anyone asked the person who atually HAS Down's Syndrome what he or she would like? I'm sure that the answer would be to "be like everyone else." Retards don't have a culture. They have health problems and handlers and SSI checks.

You reminded me of this guy I knew when I was growing up who is mentally retarded. I saw him last year and he was looking forward to some event two years in the future, but sad at the thought that he might not make it to what he thought might be his last good time. Indeed, he didn't look like he was in good health, he'd aged rapidly, as many with this condition do (in his 30s, with the body of an out-of-shape 60+ year-old). He was not happy-go-lucky, he was worried about dying.

Somehow I can't imagine that'd he'd choose his situation. Even with his limited intellect, he fears death and is aware of his decline.
I really don't understand any parent who thinks like this at all. Why on earth would you leave your kid to suffer like that? Selfish breeders!
Most retards don't contribute much to society at all, believe me I know my younger brother is a tard and is nothing more then just a burden.

Also I don't get why they refer to tards as special? There is nothing special about them.
August 13, 2013
We need to keep in perspective that the people who are opposed to fixing Downs are the people who have already birthed children with this condition. You can bet the farm that expectant parents will be all for this medical breakthrough, which is really all that matters. Let the ones who have already been born die out, and all their martyr-parents, as well. Hopefully one day all Downs will be is a small paragraph or two in a medical journal.
August 13, 2013
What I'm wondering is, can this treatment be given after birth? Can it be given to a grown tard? It would be a real-life "Flowers for Algernon."!
August 14, 2013
I'm guessing those angels didn't get sent down with a kick-ass health insurance package for Tard-loaf?
August 14, 2013
yurble
gymrat
Has anyone asked the person who atually HAS Down's Syndrome what he or she would like? I'm sure that the answer would be to "be like everyone else." Retards don't have a culture. They have health problems and handlers and SSI checks.

You reminded me of this guy I knew when I was growing up who is mentally retarded. I saw him last year and he was looking forward to some event two years in the future, but sad at the thought that he might not make it to what he thought might be his last good time. Indeed, he didn't look like he was in good health, he'd aged rapidly, as many with this condition do (in his 30s, with the body of an out-of-shape 60+ year-old). He was not happy-go-lucky, he was worried about dying.

Somehow I can't imagine that'd he'd choose his situation. Even with his limited intellect, he fears death and is aware of his decline.[/quote

If these parents think it is so SPECIAL how about once the kids are "repaired" they "tardify" the parents (if they can detard they should be able to tardify, yes?) and let them be special and have their kids take care of them. Wonder how many would sign up for that plan.
August 14, 2013
This is along the same lines as those who are fighting to keep the one last vial of smallpox (stored in a freezer in Atlanta) from being exterminated, or the scientists in Europe who are trying to make a new strain of flu more lethal just because they can. Some things need to be eradicated!

Let's keep the retarded retarded so we can train them to be mindless chimps and do our bidding! While we're at it, we'll clone the sabertooth tiger and actually create the Blob!

I thought the whole point of medical science was to make the lives of human beings better. Guess I was wrong.

August 14, 2013
Does anyone remember watching that television special years ago about parents who got their Downs Syndrome children plastic surgery? Again, all these "ethicists" (who didn't have the burden of raising the kid, or being the kid) raised objections about "taking away their unique looks." How are they unique when they all have the same features? The show followed this one family of a Downs toddler. His cheek bones were made more defined, and the fatty tissues around his face and eyelids were removed. The kid looked 100% better.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login