Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

13 year old girl is brain dead after tonsilectomy (Jahi McMath). Mom wants life support continued.

Posted by bell_flower 
And as some of you have already mentioned, her brain tissue has liquefied, and will begin to leak out of her nose and mouth. I wonder if Jahi's siblings are at all traumatized by the horror show that's taking place before their eyes, or if this is the worst case of necrophilia this country has ever seen.

Speaking of Jahi's siblings (I think there's four of them) -- they all have different last names, which is very telling.

It cannot be fucking legal to keep a decomposing body in one's house. Surely the smell has crept outside the home and drawn insects (not to mention it's a health hazard for everyone else in the home.) It is long past time for law enforcement to intervene in this situation -- imagine the late-night Elian Gonzales raid, but with the coroner's van waiting outside to speed away with the body on board. Since these people aren't playing with a full deck (to put it nicely), and are likely prone to violence judging from their whacked-out behavior, we can expect tear gas to be deployed, and shots to be fired. Now that would make for some great television.
Oh.. and don't forget the slow speed chase of the coroners van down the freeway. (ala OJ) "Must get jahi back... but can't go too fast or she'll literally fall apart"
starlady
Oh.. and don't forget the slow speed chase of the coroners van down the freeway. (ala OJ) "Must get jahi back... but can't go too fast or she'll literally fall apart"

:gogglewaving hellolarious
Maybe they think they can get more money when they sue the hospital if they keep the body accessible for examination?
crazy old crone
Maybe they think they can get more money when they sue the hospital if they keep the body accessible for examination?

I'm thinking the famblee wants to prevent the body from being examined. From all that I've gathered, the post-op protocol was NOT followed. They paraded a conga line of family members through the ICU, because the mother thought it was "racist" for them not to be allowed in. All these family members (to put it nicely) were reportedly acting "boisterous," and they encouraged Jahi to talk and laugh -- MISTAKE NUMBER ONE for someone who just had extensive throat surgery. But unless there were cameras in the ICU, any excessive vocalizations from Jahi are gonna be hard to prove, and unfortunately for this case, hearsay isn't admissible in a court of law.

Eyewitnesses in the ICU who observed Jahi's family members also stated that her mother fed her a cheeseburger -- MISTAKE NUMBER TWO. That could have, and probably did, rupture the sutures -- if if it comes to light that Jahi's mother did, in fact, feed her during the time she wasn't to have any solid food, that is "contributory negligence", and will kill any hopes of a huge cash jackpot for them. (Would that food still be in her stomach/intestine weeks later, given that the bowel lining has sloughed off?)

And last, but not least, there's the issue of her grandmother (who was an LVN, but did NOT have privileges at that hospital) suctioning Jahi's bleeding. She could have damaged the clotting in the wounds doing that. Instead of practicing medicine in a place where she didn't have the right or responsibility to do so, she should have run SCREAMING for the nearest nurse -- whereupon a code would have been called. So why didn't she, instead of letting Jahi bleed into several containers?

The thing a lot of people are still misinformed on, is that this wasn't a "routine tonsillectomy" -- it was four different procedures done at once, each of which carried its own risks (including death). Everything else is just speculation at this point, and CHO currently has no way of telling its side of the story, due to HIPAA laws (I checked, and the laws apply for 50 years after the death of the patient.)

But when this goes to trial (and it will, because the family is seeking a $30 MILLION payday), all that damning evidence is gonna become public record. They won't get a penny, nor do they deserve one.
My mother used to bitch that she had inflamed tonsils at least once a year, as a child. The doctor wanted to take them out but her mother was too scared to allow it. She had the surgery as soon as she turned 18.
As this was mid 20. century, methinks grandma Trekkie may have had a point openmouthed shock

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
" ... what's one more once you've already got two shedding on the couch?"
drlove0378
crazy old crone

I'm thinking the famblee wants to prevent the body from being examined. From all that I've gathered, the post-op protocol was NOT followed. They paraded a conga line of family members through the ICU, because the mother thought it was "racist" for them not to be allowed in. All these family members (to put it nicely) were reportedly acting "boisterous," and they encouraged Jahi to talk and laugh -- MISTAKE NUMBER ONE for someone who just had extensive throat surgery. But unless there were cameras in the ICU, any excessive vocalizations from Jahi are gonna be hard to prove, and unfortunately for this case, hearsay isn't admissible in a court of law.

Eyewitnesses in the ICU who observed Jahi's family members also stated that her mother fed her a cheeseburger -- MISTAKE NUMBER TWO. That could have, and probably did, rupture the sutures -- if if it comes to light that Jahi's mother did, in fact, feed her during the time she wasn't to have any solid food, that is "contributory negligence", and will kill any hopes of a huge cash jackpot for them. (Would that food still be in her stomach/intestine weeks later, given that the bowel lining has sloughed off?)

And last, but not least, there's the issue of her grandmother (who was an LVN, but did NOT have privileges at that hospital) suctioning Jahi's bleeding. She could have damaged the clotting in the wounds doing that. Instead of practicing medicine in a place where she didn't have the right or responsibility to do so, she should have run SCREAMING for the nearest nurse -- whereupon a code would have been called. So why didn't she, instead of letting Jahi bleed into several containers?

The thing a lot of people are still misinformed on, is that this wasn't a "routine tonsillectomy" -- it was four different procedures done at once, each of which carried its own risks (including death). Everything else is just speculation at this point, and CHO currently has no way of telling its side of the story, due to HIPAA laws (I checked, and the laws apply for 50 years after the death of the patient.)

But when this goes to trial (and it will, because the family is seeking a $30 MILLION payday), all that damning evidence is gonna become public record. They won't get a penny, nor do they deserve one.

WOW, what freaks! The poor girl had sleep apnea and was obese, so her mother JUST HAD TO shove a cheeseburger into her right after major throat surgery? That's insane! What possesses someone to do something like that? And the parade of relatives as well, when my Dad was in ICU after any of his many heart surgeries my Mom, Sister, and I were only allowed to visit for very short spurts, and if any other family was there we had to visit a few minutes, leave and let them go back. Always very brief and quiet.

I can't understand the way people think at all sometimes. It sounds like they contributed to her death in a major way. This does need to come out into the light of day.
I think the 'cheeseburger incident' came out from a nurses' forum, early in the time Ms. Jahi was declared braindead. I don't know how true that is, but I'd love to find the nurses' forums that came from, and see what those posters were saying.

Edit: It was said in a news article that she was asking for a popsicle because 'her throat hurt.' I don't know if she was given one, but if she was, that would have done damage through mucus production.
She is going to be like the Sloth victim in Se7en. Instead of pine tree air fresheners they will have a shitload of those Febreeze stickies.

She may get a commercial out of it.

The cheeseburger story allegedly came from someone whose kid was also in the PICU. He also said that he and his wife had to go in one at a time, but her family had a fucking reunion in there with 8 people at a time. This part has apparently been confirmed so it probably won't be long before the I can haz cheezburger story is as well.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
From a bottle cap message on a Magic Hat #9 beer: Condoms Prevent Minivans
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I want to pick up a bus full of unruly kids and feed them gummi bears and crack, then turn them loose in Hobby Lobby to ransack the place. They will all be wearing T shirts that say "You Could Have Prevented This."
Christ on the cross, that poor kid is nothing but a freakshow now. Some way to remember your own offspring, isn't it?:headbrick
Breaking news: Jahi Mcmath is STILL dead
ladybug2203

I already knew I was going to hell, but I let out a huge snort of laughter when I read this. I'm still trying to suppress the giggles.

"Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live." - Oscar Wilde
amethyst114
ladybug2203

I already knew I was going to hell, but I let out a huge snort of laughter when I read this. I'm still trying to suppress the giggles.

Will Jahi make any guest appearances on The Walking Dead? :eyebrows

Why live in a fishbowl, when you could be swimming in the ocean?

"She, and all other rabid breeders, are like crabs in a bucket headed to Red Lobster. When they see a smarter crab escaping, they try to pull it back in." - Miss Hannigan

"Yeah, that's what family is about - guilt tripping people into cleaning up someone else's mess." - mrs. chinaski

(Shameless blog promotion: http://popcornculturejunkie.wordpress.com/)

(Cornucopia of visual rantage: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCD78oSD27mzAlVzsB0q2ibA)
popcornculturejunkie
amethyst114
ladybug2203

Wouldn't a person have to have a functioning brain to come back as a zombie? Her brain's almost liquified by now, she'd be the most inert walker ever.
nightfire
popcornculturejunkie
amethyst114
ladybug2203

Wouldn't a person have to have a functioning brain to come back as a zombie? Her brain's almost liquified by now, she'd be the most inert walker ever.

Well, with all the time and effort Moo's putting in to keeping her 'alive', I'm sure she'd find a way around Jahi's liquified brain...maybe hook the poor thing up to jumper cables or something

Why live in a fishbowl, when you could be swimming in the ocean?

"She, and all other rabid breeders, are like crabs in a bucket headed to Red Lobster. When they see a smarter crab escaping, they try to pull it back in." - Miss Hannigan

"Yeah, that's what family is about - guilt tripping people into cleaning up someone else's mess." - mrs. chinaski

(Shameless blog promotion: http://popcornculturejunkie.wordpress.com/)

(Cornucopia of visual rantage: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCD78oSD27mzAlVzsB0q2ibA)
nightfire
popcornculturejunkie
amethyst114
ladybug2203

No a functioning brain to come back a zombie is not necessay. As proof I offer Congress ...

You know, I followed this case a bit in the beginning, but I've since not paid it much attention, what with the holidays come/gone and other things. But, I was just wondering if there had finally been an end to this ordeal, so I was looking around a bit online.

I'm surprised this is still going on, frankly. But, I was reading a comment at another board and it pretty much summed up the situation, I think. The poster mentioned how this is the legacy this child will have. She'll not be remembered for who she was or the unique things about her; she'll be remembered for this whole circus her famblee has engaged in, and not even the opportunity to die in peace, with dignity.

I'm sure we've all here have lost people close to us, and some may have been under tragic circumstances. But, in looking back, I would say those people's demise was not the whole of who they were. We remember plenty of other things about them. But, this girl? All she's going to ever be to anyone, especially on a nationwide or global scale, is the girl who died and whose famblee dragged her around like a real-life Weekend at Bernie's.

Her famblee is making a mockery of her life/death with this sideshow, and they're assuring that even THEY will have this whole incident as their own main memory of her.

How sick is that? To die, and not be remembered for the wonderful, unique, etc., person that you were; but instead remembered as a corpse dragged around for attention and profit.
Ughhhh, that court document describing how the corpse is decomposing is stomach churning and ghoulish.

How is the body not stinking unbearably by now if her insides are not only rotting out but LEAKING out?? I didn't even realize someone could be put on life support if they're fully brain dead. The document goes into detail about how her brain is not functioning, which means various parts are switched off permanently and decaying inside the body!! Can you imagine? How can anyone look at the corpse and still declare it a living being?? ::brbl
This hasn't been posted yet. It's making the rounds on blogs and message boards.

Of course, you can't confirm the authenticity, but it seems logical, given how the family is acting:

A man who was in both the recovery room and the PICU with his 4 year old son witnessed a lot. He posted in the LA Times in comments on a few of the articles which wound up deleted and comments disabled. I think they were compelled by lawyers for the hospital probably contacted him right after. Anyhow his description of what he himself witnessed went something like: 1. His son is 4 Nd was in Recovery Room. He said his son was not "special enough" to have both his parents in at the same time so they had to take turns to be with him. The RR nurses were distracted to the degree of clearing the other 15 family members all loud as can be from the RR. As the nurses did this mama and grandma fed Jahi bites of their Big Macs. Jahi started with a few bites then grandma provided the Popsicle but she had begun bleeding. Then mama fed her last few bites of Big Mac and immediately began bleeding heavier until it became waterfall like. I am going to venture a guess. Big Mac bites popped sutures to arteries. Grandma began suctioning and then the use of a large bucket was required. Hospital staff reacted to the situation as best as possible and as quickly as possible. 2. Later on in the PICU the father and his wife at separate times witnessed abuse of medical staff and all hospital staff in general by the entire family. The father describes the family as extremely ignorant, uneducated and disruptive. Ghetto period. The family had blatant disregard for every other family with critical children trying to survive and live these families also had to endure this circus. Disrespectful and selfish entitled behavior exhibited by the mother and uncle in particular. I feel terrible for all the families and hospital staff, doctors, nurses, pcas and CNAs right on to the janitor for having to be subjected to these.

In the freaking recovery room? Who in their right mind gives someone who's had major nose and throat surgery, a Big Mac IN THE RECOVERY ROOM?

It reminds me of Shauna, actually....this kid has had major surgery--she can go without eating for a few hours.

No wonder the kid was obese.

And I hate the constant press references to her surgery as a tonsilectomy or even a "routine tonsilectomy." Er, no.
I'm guessing that's why the family is trying to keep her hooked up, they're keeping her 'alive' so they don't have to feel that guilt that what they did ended up killing her. I bet as soon as the girl's heart stops irretrievably, the mother and grandmother will have a mental breakdown when reality hits home.
nightfire
I'm guessing that's why the family is trying to keep her hooked up, they're keeping her 'alive' so they don't have to feel that guilt that what they did ended up killing her. I bet as soon as the girl's heart stops irretrievably, the mother and grandmother will have a mental breakdown when reality hits home.

You're more charitable to these people than I was thinking. My first thought was that they're keeping her "alive" so nobody can be charged with murder.
Holy shit, the description of the girl bleeding is nightmare fuel. I had imagined it was a fair amount, but sweet merciful cheesus.

------------------------------------------------------------
"Why children take so long to grow? They eat and drink like pig and give nothing back. Must find way to accelerate process..."
- Dr. Yi Suchong, Bioshock

"Society does not need more children; but it does need more loved children. Quite literally, we cannot afford unloved children - but we pay heavily for them every day. There should not be the slightest communal concern when a woman elects to destroy the life of her thousandth-of-an-ounce embryo. But all society should rise up in alarm when it hears that a baby that is not wanted is about to be born."
- Garrett Hardin

"I feel like there's a message involved here somehow, but then I couldn't stop laughing at all the plotholes, like the part when North Korea has food."
- Youtube commentor referring to a North Korean cartoon.

"Reality is a bitch when it slowly crawls out of your vagina and shits in your lap."
- Reddit comment

"Bitch wants a baby, so we're gonna fuck now. #bareback"
- Cambion

Oh whatever. Abortion doctors are crimestoppers."
- Miss Hannigan
As this article shows in Figure 3, arteries circle the entire tonsil area. It's a very blood rich environment where it's easy to nick an artery, especially if you are allowing your child to eat after surgery.

I've had trouble with my tonsils my whole life. I've always known tonsilectomies are dangerous, particularly for adults, because I know someone who was thirty who died after the operation.

I have airway issues. I could stand to lose 15 pounds, but I'm just built badly. (genetic lottery fail.) My entire life my Mallampati Score is and always has been a four. I have sleep apnea and no doubt I had it from a young age, and I've always been a difficult intubation. (Not to self, get a medic alert bracelet.) . I asked for a sleep study when I was in my 30's and 40's. Denied by my insurance company both times until I hit 50.

When I was a kid, routine tonsilectomies were falling out of favor. My older sister got one and I did not. Now I am kind of glad. That surgery would be a last resort for me now, which is as it should be I suppose.

Back to topic, sleep apnea is curable by a CPAP machine. I'm guessing the family couldn't get Jahi to comply and they were too undisciplined/unmotivated to go the diet route.
starlady
Oh we're all bad... I am ROFL at these last few posts.

No kidding! I know better than to click over when I have coffee, but.... my computer takes a bath every time....

+++++++++++++

Passive Aggressive
Master Of Anti-brat
Excuses!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login