Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

13 year old girl is brain dead after tonsilectomy (Jahi McMath). Mom wants life support continued.

Posted by bell_flower 
You beat me to it. Headline should be JM--still dead but getting better every day.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
From a bottle cap message on a Magic Hat #9 beer: Condoms Prevent Minivans
I want to pick up a bus full of unruly kids and feed them gummi bears and crack, then turn them loose in Hobby Lobby to ransack the place. They will all be wearing T shirts that say "You Could Have Prevented This."
A midnight extraction of the body by the local SWAT team would not be objectionable right about now, with the ex-person interred in an undisclosed cemetary as a Jane Doe and their parents left a postcard.
navi8orgirl
You beat me to it. Headline should be JM--still dead but getting better every day.

Perfect. thumbs upwink

I'm amazed that the body hasn't decayed to the point where even her mother couldn't deny it's dead. Maybe the loss of "weight" is the sign the girl's getting better. Who knows, since they won't give any details. Sounds to me like mother knows the "signs" she claims she's seeing are bullshit.
It almost sounds like a sequel... Dead Alive 2

Why live in a fishbowl, when you could be swimming in the ocean?

"She, and all other rabid breeders, are like crabs in a bucket headed to Red Lobster. When they see a smarter crab escaping, they try to pull it back in." - Miss Hannigan

"Yeah, that's what family is about - guilt tripping people into cleaning up someone else's mess." - mrs. chinaski

(Shameless blog promotion: http://popcornculturejunkie.wordpress.com/)

(Cornucopia of visual rantage: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCD78oSD27mzAlVzsB0q2ibA)
popcornculturejunkie
It almost sounds like a sequel... Dead Alive 2

Bring on Lionel and his amazing lawnmower!

--------------

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it."
George Bernard Shaw

"An oyster can play catch if u only give it the oprotunity"
Some random YouTube commenter

"hate comments will be deleted!! fuckers!"
Some random YouTube uploader

Here's a recent post on the poor dead kid's facebooger page from another Moo who too lost a kid to brain death, with my commentary in red:

I am a mother who lost her son to brain death nearly 10 years ago due to blunt force trauma to his brain after the car he travelled in far from home was rammed by a drunk driver. He ended up at Vanderbilt Children's Hospital in Tennessee and by the time I was able to get there, they told me he had no hope of surviving. The hospital did 2 tests to determine brain death. My mother recommended organ donation. My son was only 12 and I was told his organs would go to children. When I first arrived from California, 12 hours later, his leg moved. The doctors said it was reflexes. I also found it very hard to understand how my son was warm to the touch, had functioning kidneys, had working lungs and heart. Moos ALWAYS want to spice up their stories with extra information to increase the sympathy meter like how a drunk driver killed him, his organs would go to children, which I am assuming they didn't or she wouldn't have mentioned it, and for some odd reason ONLY a Moo can't seem to comprehend that brain dead doesn't necessarily mean full organ failure. If the kid's body had already died, then organ donation would be a moot point. If she was genuinely only trying to offer support to this family then she wouldn't have created a dissertation revolving around HER loss. As is typical, even a decade later, she wants the focus on HER and HER loss, much like they do with 20 year ago miscarriages at 7 weeks gestation when they refer to it as they "lost a child".eye rolling smiley

As I sat with him, I know that he would not wake but I know I would have taken care of him forever if I was given the opportunity. We were convinced to donate his organs but they did not go to children. They went to 3 grown men, one of which writes lovingly to us. The other 2, never a word. She says she was "convinced" to donate his organs as if she was coerced by hospital staff or the organ transplant people, but prior to that she says her mother brought up the idea. Regardless of who suggested it, and I seriously doubt she was coerced by anyone, it was HER decision. Then, she sounds pissed off his organs saved three adults instead of children! In addition to all that, she feels entitled to regular updates from the organ recipients! Has it even occurred to her the other two men may not have survived? Even if they had survived the initial transplant, it also never occurred to the cunt that generally people getting transplants have plenty of health issues and may not feel up to sending thank you notes. Besides, perhaps the recipients don't WANT contact with the family of the deceased who had to die for them to live. As usual, Moo selfishness prevails. thumbs updown

Every anniversary of his death, I do not know if he died when he lost consciousness, when he was declared legally dead per his death certificate, or when the machines were turned off. I was not able to be with him when they turned the machines off. I was not able to be with him when he took his last breath as I had when he took his first. I can't believe she wasn't allowed to be with her son when they took him off life support. She mentions having to travel TO where he was when he was in the accident and now this about how she wasn't able to be with him when he got unhooked. I have to wonder WHY NOT? Was she in jail? Did her husband have custody and wouldn't allow her to come around for some good reasons? Her story is fishy and full of implications she was denied access to her child, which we all know is untrue. shrug

I was not able to refuse the autopsy either, which is a horrific thing for an innocent child. She says, "innocent child" as if he was still alive when they made the y incision! All this unnecessary chatter when she's allegedly offering up support for this girl. What a selfish cunteye rolling smiley

I do not feel my son died in dignity and although his life and death were generous and selfless even to the end, I do not feel he was given the respect he deserved, or me to protect him. He was assaulted in so many ways, just following 'protocol'. saying 'wtf' What does she mean he was "assaulted"? He was brain dead, an organ donation form was signed by SOMEONE with legal authority to make that decision, and he was given as much respect and dignity as anyone else's corpse would have been given under the circumstances. She says, "protect" him as if he was alive!

For so many years I have read about brain death and I hope you will be able to share the brave road you have taken with your daughter, they mystery you are enveloped in right now. She is in my prayers and there is no greater love or bond then a mother and her child. Good bless you and Jahi. Jeeeez, she just HAD to include that Moo-Kid unbreakable bond thing. I'd be willing to bet a shitload of irrational grieving Moos will waste the court's time in the future every time their kid is declared dead. Perhaps a facility will be built to store brain dead bodies, or dead bodies in general, and it will become law to keep them on heart-lung machines and the like until they decompose.:smn

------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- -------
If YOU are the "exception" to what I am saying, then why does my commentary bother you so much?
I don't hate your kids, I HATE YOU!
I am sure Jahi is a Python skit in the making:

'E's not pinin'! 'E's passed on! This parrot is no more! He has ceased to be! 'E's expired and gone to meet 'is maker! 'E's a stiff! Bereft of life, 'e rests in peace! If you hadn't nailed 'im to the perch 'e'd be pushing up the daisies! 'Is metabolic processes are now 'istory! 'E's off the twig! 'E's kicked the bucket, 'e's shuffled off 'is mortal coil, run down the curtain and joined the bleedin' choir invisibile!!

THIS IS AN EX-PARROT!!

(How do you lose your son to death? Wouldn't it have been the accident she lost him to?)

I want to pick up a bus full of unruly kids and feed them gummi bears and crack, then turn them loose in Hobby Lobby to ransack the place. They will all be wearing T shirts that say "You Could Have Prevented This."
"I was not able to refuse the autopsy either, which is a horrific thing for an innocent child."

Horrific? Um, I don't think he cared....

And can't family members disallow an autopsy? I thought that was a real bone of contention, that families could refuse to allow autopsies in cases where the deaths were suspicious or otherwise in need of clarification.

And can't family members disallow an autopsy? I thought that was a real bone of contention, that families could refuse to allow autopsies in cases where the deaths were suspicious or otherwise in need of clarification.

Maybe it's a legal thing?

It does sound HIGHLY suspicious that she couldn't be with him. I'm thinking "in jail" too.

Edited to add: I've never understood the objections to autopsy. When my seemingly-healthy father dropped dead in his early 30's, his relatives gave my mom endless grief when she insisted on an autopsy. (They kept citing the catholic church--I don't know if there is a real basis there or if they were ignorant.) I'm very glad she found out what killed him (brain aneurysm) because the doctors had all these wild and non-sensical theories, like wanting to quarantine us when he didn't have fever, etc. I'm glad she got one because of the family history aspect too.
Yeah, your mother was obviously correct to have it done.

Maybe this mommy thought her 12 year old was on drugs or something, and didn't want that to show up in an autopsy.
She might have been away on business. Also, they leave life support on until the last second and then turn it off after the organs are harvested.

Stupid selfish moo needs to realize that the organs go to the most in need and a closest match. Which yes, might be an adult. I hope the recipients of his organs are all childfree. Bet that'd chaps the selfish moo's ass.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
What is a home without children? Quiet. ~Henny Youngman

I don't want people who want to dance, I want people who have to dance. ~George Balanchine

"I took the batteries out of my biological clock and put them in my vibrator"
I believe the body has to be left on life support to harvest organs like the heart or lungs so he was probably left connected until he was taken to the OR to take the organs. They disconnect the machines right after. Nobody has to consent to organ donation and I don't buy the "it was supposed to go to chhyyyllld." There is no way they would know who the best match and next up the list would be. If her kyd was killed by a drunk the autopsy was probably mandated by the state for evidence or just the fact that he was a minor. I am sorry she lost her son but she needs to STFU and get some therapy.
navi8orgirl
I am sure Jahi is a Python skit in the making:

'E's not pinin'! 'E's passed on! This parrot is no more! He has ceased to be! 'E's expired and gone to meet 'is maker! 'E's a stiff! Bereft of life, 'e rests in peace! If you hadn't nailed 'im to the perch 'e'd be pushing up the daisies! 'Is metabolic processes are now 'istory! 'E's off the twig! 'E's kicked the bucket, 'e's shuffled off 'is mortal coil, run down the curtain and joined the bleedin' choir invisibile!!

THIS IS AN EX-PARROT!!

(How do you lose your son to death? Wouldn't it have been the accident she lost him to?)

Ahahahah! So true!

Why is this woman so unhappy the organs' recipients were adults? Right, I forgot, only chyuldren have any value in society.

“I was talking about children that have not been properly house-trained. Left to their own impulses and indulged by doting or careless parents almost all children are yahoos. Loud, selfish, cruel, unaffectionate, jealous, perpetually striving for attention, empty-headed, for ever prating or if words fail them simply bawling, their voices grown huge from daily practice: the very worst company in the world. But what I dislike even more than the natural child is the affected child, the hulking oaf of seven or eight that skips heavily about with her hands dangling in front of her -- a little squirrel or bunny-rabbit -- and prattling away in a baby's voice.”

― Patrick O'Brian, The Truelove

lib'-er-ty: the freedom given to you to make the wrong decision, based on the reasoned belief that you will normally make the right one.
I'm actually surprised that the organs went to adults instead of children, considering the somewhat recent case I've read about on this board, the one of a girl receiving lung implants from adults that weren't even a proper match.

I don't have low self-esteem. That's a mistake. I have low esteem for everyone else.
-Daria
I'm kinda surprised too. Wouldn't kid organs be too small for an adult? Unless it was something like a liver (which I think you only need part of for it to do its job) or a kidney... something that maybe wouldn't need to match an adult's body size (like a heart or lungs).

Also, why was she not able to refuse an autopsy? I can't imagine why that would be unless there was something suspicious that the staff saw like abnormal test results (like semi-healed past injuries that look like abuse, traces of drugs or toxins in the kid's system, evidence of sexual abuse, etc). Or is an autopsy mandatory for organ donors to make sure their parts work before being transplanted in other people?

Unless you're absolutely 110% certain what killed a loved one, I fail to see why there would be objections to an autopsy... unless there is concern on the family's part that evidence of abuse would be found. I'd want to know what the fuck happened to the person for closure. It's not disrespecting or harming the person - they're already fucking dead! They won't care. Moo not wanting an autopsy + not being able to refuse autopsy + her not being allowed to see the kid before he died = there's a LOT more to this story than what Moo is letting on.
I actually posted a thread updating the line-hopping lung recipient. One thing I noticed in reading about that story is that adults in fact can receive chyld organs, if it's a small adult. Now, it doesn't seem to happen very often, but, it is a possibility.

I honestly can't say that I ever thought about whether all our adult organs are the same size as other adults, or if the vary.

As for the autopsy? I would guess that it was something to do with legal issues. Moo said her kyd was killed via head trauma in a car accident. If that's the case, it could be something with whoever caused the accident and their insurance company. Or maybe Moo was suing someone and the autopsy was done to prove trauma sustained in the accident caused death rather than some pre-existing condition, etc.
As a rule, most states legally require autopsies for people under a certain (advanced) age or for anybody when foul play is suspected. Some exceptions exist, for example, when the cause of death is obvious, such as decapitation in an accident. When an autopsy is required, the family generally can't stop it, but in other cases the family can request one.

Deaths of children are almost invariably followed by autopsies. Parents don't normally have discretion here.
Jahi McDeath was mentioned over on the Patio, so I looked around for an update.

I guess a good way to get out of the drudgery of tending your living children and holding down a job to pay the bills is to say that you need to devote your time to watching over a corpse.

LINK

As a measure of her determination, she quit her job at Home Depot to sit by Jahi’s bedside and relatives are caring for her other three children—two daughters and a son.
“She’s too focused on spending her days caring for Jahi, giving her a manicure and pedicure every Friday, like she did at home. On St. Patrick’s Day, she painted her daughter’s toes and nails green with black and silver tips.”

“Winkfield also pores over case studies on people who have come out of deep comas, and she spends long hours reading the pages of the Bible, looking for hope and wisdom.

“’Literally,’ Winkfield said. ‘That’s the only book I read.’”
“She’s still asleep. I don’t use the word ‘brain dead’ for my daughter. I’m just waiting and faithful that she will have a recovery. She is blossoming into a teenager before my eyes.”

Winkfield said her daughter is “now moving her head side to side, something she hadn’t done before.”

Jahi, who is undergoing physical therapy, can bend at the waist and turn over in bed, according to her mother.

“No matter how many times you position her to the right or in the middle, she always ends up on the left side,” Winkfield said. “She will reposition herself over and over if she is uncomfortable.”

But Winkfield did tell NBC Bay Area that her daughter “is unable to speak or squeeze her hand. Jahi is on a ventilator and is nourished through a feeding tube. Her mother gives her vitamins and fish oil herself ‘to feel useful,’” Fernandez wrote.

PROVE IT! You had her on TV every chance you could...put her on now.

“In a phone interview on Thursday from the University of Washington where he is head of pediatric neurology, Dr. Sidney Gospe said he couldn’t put a ‘whole lot of weight’ into what Jahi’s mother had to say about her movements without a neurological examination. ‘Someone with expertise would have to characterize those movements as either reflexes or something initiated by her cerebral cortex,’ he said. Gospe added that a ventilator has the ability to help maintain a patient’s vital signs.”

BINGO!

In other news, she is still brain dead. So is her mother.

So the corpse can't squeeze her hand (obviously) but it can roll over in bed? Suuuuuuure.

Good grief, is this still really going on?

As demented and sick as it is for the famblee to have milked donations out of suckers, I'd rather believe that they finally buried the girl and are just pretending that she is still around in order to keep the dough rolling in.

Why? Because the alternative is that they are living with a 3 1/2 month dead body. Imagine how horrid the decay, smell, etc,, must be.
This is sick. Also, it sounded creepy to me, like she is using her daughter's corpse as a doll *shivers*

“I was talking about children that have not been properly house-trained. Left to their own impulses and indulged by doting or careless parents almost all children are yahoos. Loud, selfish, cruel, unaffectionate, jealous, perpetually striving for attention, empty-headed, for ever prating or if words fail them simply bawling, their voices grown huge from daily practice: the very worst company in the world. But what I dislike even more than the natural child is the affected child, the hulking oaf of seven or eight that skips heavily about with her hands dangling in front of her -- a little squirrel or bunny-rabbit -- and prattling away in a baby's voice.”

― Patrick O'Brian, The Truelove

lib'-er-ty: the freedom given to you to make the wrong decision, based on the reasoned belief that you will normally make the right one.
Yeah that body is probably moving around so much due to pressure from gasses and fluids and will just spew apart one day.
In answer to someone's question: prior to Vatican II (that means the 1960s), the Catholic church was against autopsies and cremation. It was believed that either would interfere with the body's rising perfect and whole on Judgment Day.

But we are post-Vatican II: autopsies and cremation are both permitted today. The sole exception is if you have either procedure done SOLELY to deny belief in the resurrection on Judgment Day. Even my hyper-Catholic relatives aren't that nutso.
blondie
Yeah that body is probably moving around so much due to pressure from gasses and fluids and will just spew apart one day.

gnarler
blondie

Oh, I so did not want to see that :goggle

LOL
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login