Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

13 year old girl is brain dead after tonsilectomy (Jahi McMath). Mom wants life support continued.

Posted by bell_flower 
Sorry for necromancing this post again, but I saw everybody's favorite potato making headlines recently.

Breaking news! Jahi McMath is still dead!

But aside from that, her family has won backing for their argument that she's still alive, she has been declared NOT brain dead and one "prominent" neurologist (who I'm sure nobody wants touching their heads now) has claimed that she is not only showing signs of life, but retains partial brain function and is improving. Well, if by "improving" they mean "rotting further" from graduating with a 4.0 from Cadaver University, then they're spot-on with their diagnosis. But as far as improving by sane person standards, she isn't.

Her family and doctors acknowledge that she would be VERY severely brain-damaged if she were to wake up, probably to the point of being completely bed-ridden, immobile, helpless and unconscious. But as long as she's alive, right? If Mommy just gives her a pedicure and claims Jahi's moving her foot every so often, then the family will get into heaven after all in spite of killing their obese teen relative with post-op cheeseburgers.

Look at any picture of her and you can tell she's fucking dead. Even with the life support and no preservative substances, I am shocked she hasn't rotted more than this, so at least she can be a semi-pretty corpse. I'm guessing they haven't disclosed the location where the body is being kept because I have a feeling someone would break into the facility and unplug her life support and show the poor girl the dignity and mercy her family refuses to show her. Though according to the article linked above, she has begun puberty and is now menstruating. This declaration was made by the same prominent neurologist who claimed she's gotten better, so take that discovery with an entire shaker of salt.

Jahi’s family has not allowed a third-party neurologist to conduct an examination since the girl was declared dead.

Of course they haven't. Because then it would be proven the girl is officially dead and then they wouldn't be able to keep her plugged in like a fucking toaster until the media attention gets old. Also, the case to fight to keep this chubby potato alive won't see court before 2018, so she'll be a science fair experiment for even longer.

I also saw something in health news headlines about how a young girl's brain damage was allegedly reversed using oxygen therapy, so I'm sure it's only a matter of time before Jahi's family wastes some other doctor's time to try and fix their pet cadaver's brain with this method.
I thought you were going to say the plug was pulled and I felt relief, but sure enough the McCorpse is still "alive"

These are some of the creepiest parents out there, but I wonder what you happened if someone just pulled the plug and got it over with. Wouldn't the impending lawsuit be cheaper than keeping her plugged in or would the unplugger be charged with murder?

Ultimately, if Jahi is reclassified as alive, the family could be entitled to millions of dollars in damages. Awards are capped in California at $250,000 for the wrongful death of a child, but there is no cap for wrongful-injury claims because a court can order medical costs to be paid indefinitely.

WHOOMP there it is.
In a sworn declaration filed June 29 in Alameda County Superior Court, Dr. Alan Shewmon, a professor emeritus of pediatrics and neurology at UCLA and a well-known critic of the guidelines defining brain death, says the videos demonstrate not only that Jahi is alive but also that her condition is improving.

OK he is a tin foil hatter. And of course it is about the money...can't expect Mama Nails to buy out Michael Kors stores on her own dime.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
From a bottle cap message on a Magic Hat #9 beer: Condoms Prevent Minivans
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I want to pick up a bus full of unruly kids and feed them gummi bears and crack, then turn them loose in Hobby Lobby to ransack the place. They will all be wearing T shirts that say "You Could Have Prevented This."
rudeawakening

Ultimately, if Jahi is reclassified as alive, the family could be entitled to millions of dollars in damages. Awards are capped in California at $250,000 for the wrongful death of a child, but there is no cap for wrongful-injury claims because a court can order medical costs to be paid indefinitely.

WHOOMP there it is.

This poor little girl is being used as a pawn for money. It probably costs $250K or more in care to keep charging what is essentially a dead battery.
I know she is dead but I'm going to humor Mama Nails for a moment and assume that Jahi is still "alive". If said child was still alive and seemingly aware like she claims, what does she think her child has been going through for 4 years. As "bad" as it is to pull the plug on a corpse keeping a "living" person trapped in the hell of a non-functioning body has to be far worse.
^ Absolutely this!

I also think, with at least 95% certainty, that she is dead. However, assuming she isn't, I can't imagine she is happy by any stretch of the imagination. Being "locked in," as I think some call it, would be a nightmarish torture. If the girl is aware, again, if, she must be quite literally going insane. Imagine being immobile for four years, unable to speak or move purposefully? IF the the family TRULY believes she is locked in, then the family members are monsters, the lot of them, for keeping her alive. The list of things that are worse than death {in my opinion at least} is VERY short, and that is one of them.

Lock him up or put him down.
Stolen from Shiny.
http://www.lfpress.com/2017/09/07/judge-girl-deemed-brain-dead-after-botched-tonsillectomy-may-still-be-alive

Judge: Girl deemed brain dead after botched tonsillectomy may still be alive

"SAN FRANCISCO — A California judge ruled that a teen girl declared brain dead more than three years ago after a tonsillectomy may still be technically alive, allowing a malpractice lawsuit against the hospital to proceed.

Alameda County Judge Stephen Pulido ruled Tuesday that it’s up to a jury to determine whether Jahi McMath is alive, which would increase the amount of damages if jurors decide in the family’s favour."

(more story at the link)

=================================

The family's true motives come out as they seek someone elses's deep financial pockets.
cassia
it’s up to a jury to determine whether Jahi McMath is alive

Unless it's a jury of medical and neurology experts, then why the fuck is it up to a jury? What does the average person off the street know about brain death? Fucking hell.
kittehpeoples
cassia

Unless it's a jury of medical and neurology experts, then why the fuck is it up to a jury? What does the average person off the street know about brain death? Fucking hell.

Put her in the room with a group of average people and the majority are going to say that in the complete absence of movement, she's dead.
yurble
kittehpeoples
cassia

Put her in the room with a group of average people and the majority are going to say that in the complete absence of movement, she's dead.

I certainly hope so. I just think it's shocking that a JUDGE would punt to a jury by saying it's up to average people to decide. No, it's up to the experts, the real experts, and they've already decided. It's like saying it's up to a jury to decide if a person has cancer. Wtf.
kittehpeoples

I certainly hope so. I just think it's shocking that a JUDGE would punt to a jury by saying it's up to average people to decide. No, it's up to the experts, the real experts, and they've already decided. It's like saying it's up to a jury to decide if a person has cancer. Wtf.

Bear in mind this is the same judicial system that sentenced a man, convicted of 3 counts of felony sexual assualt, to 6 months (of which he served 3) - you'd get more prison time for having pot brownies for dog sake. Don't get me wrong, Britain isn't perfect, but we wouldn't allow parental visits to an imprisoned man who raped and impregnated an underage girl (looking at you, Massachusetts).
I wonder if the fact that the jury's tax dollars will be keeping this rotting meat bag alive will influence their decision. "Ohhh sure, keep her alive with machines forever! What? On my dime? Wellll....."

Why are juries that aren't exclusively comprised of doctors being allowed to make medical decisions for someone else? Is this a practice that's going to catch on? Because I don't want to live in a place where a woman might have to one day go plead with a jury to be allowed to get an abortion or where a 600-pound person has to leave it up to a group of total strangers to decide if they deserve weight loss surgery.

I'm sure they'll all agree she's alive because the poor famblee has Suffered EnoughTM and deserves a big fat settlement, even though it was the fucking family that killed the girl in the first place.

This also makes me wonder if any of the family would face manslaughter charges if Jahi were officially proven to be fully, 100 percent dead and that's why they're fighting tooth and nail to prove she's still alive, even if just barely. They might not have killed her with malicious intent, but it still stands that their actions caused her death.

I honestly don't even know if they killed her by accident. A porker like her with that many medical problems was probably costing them an arm and a leg (well, costing us) and really putting a cramp in their lifestyles, so how do any of us know they didn't kill her on purpose? They probably knew she was stupid and fat enough to horf down cheeseburgers when her throat was too sore to eat anything, so she wouldn't question it. Then they'd act all shocked when she went downhill.

It's about time for the "grieving" family to post another video of Jahi wiggling her toe, isn't it?
lurker-derp
Bear in mind this is the same judicial system that sentenced a man, convicted of 3 counts of felony sexual assualt, to 6 months (of which he served 3) - you'd get more prison time for having pot brownies for dog sake. Don't get me wrong, Britain isn't perfect, but we wouldn't allow parental visits to an imprisoned man who raped and impregnated an underage girl (looking at you, Massachusetts).

Yeah, we're fucked up.
/rant mode on.

This is exactly why I and many hate lawyers and the disgusting parts of the system they represent. As Camb said lawyers and lay-people know SFA about medicine, and have absolutely no clue what it's like to work in health care, yet they are more than willing to make unqualified judgements about the competent and professional health care practitioners. As Lurker said, the Judge and Jury are not experts in medical practice at all, and they're sitting there in a nice, safe environment, with the benefit of time and hindsight to be able to second and third guess every micro-aspect of the practitioner's actions and decisions. The hardest decision many of these people have is deciding on what colour pants to go with their shirts. They have no understanding nor care what the reality is like to make life or death decisions, and how these decisions can and will be examined under a microscope, by some sub-literate member of public with a double-digit IQ - Not to mention someone's livelihood even future freedom can be determined by these neanderthals.

I've had a similar experience going through this type of legal hell for many years, only to be cleared of any wrong doing and exonerated - but not after my name being dragged through the mud on something the legal fraternity deciding my future had absolutely no clue about. It's a needless and traumatic experience for all involved, and a lot of the time the it's not about the case, but rather opportunities for the legal fraternity to further their own personal agendas or personal fame, at the expense of the poor medical practitioner's livelihood.

/Rant off.

Remember this is really just a case on 'technicalities', where they're arguing if McCorpsy is 'technically' alive or dead. As McCorpsy organs are being kept oxygenated, and probably has enough brainstem activity to keep the basic life functions, she would be technically classified as 'alive'. Essentially it's a court case on semantics, as to be classified as 'dead' would mean nil cellular activity and gross purification. McCorpsy isn't however conscious or have any cognitive activity, and is at the best artificially sustained vegetable, and at worse a warmed, periodically inflated corpse. If Mamma- Nails was so sure McCorpsy was alive, then why don't she pull the plug? Anyone 'alive enough' would continue to live. If however like we all suspect, Mamma Nails won't do it, cause McCorpsy would be able to finally pass, and that would be the end of the udder rubs, weekly nail salon and GoFundMe $$$ for Mamma Nails.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login