Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

13 year old girl is brain dead after tonsilectomy (Jahi McMath). Mom wants life support continued.

Posted by bell_flower 
I wonder if there is some way this person could be embalmed without the family really knowing about it. At least it would not smell bad that way.
THIS is who is going to bring the body back to life. From the New Beginnings facebook page, which is basically like a stalker site for Jahi. There have been many critical posts to the page and this is a response from the center to one of them. Now they will "band" any further negative comments. They sound like a very professional operation, wouldn't you agree? ;

NEW BEGINNINGS COMMUNITY CENTER Don Martin what are you talking about first before I band you lets make one thing clear we are all non profit and all moneys have been donated. or raised. so this will not effect your tax $$$$$$. also we are both in and outpatient that provides long term care..... oh but you knew that that's 2 for 2. just wondering by Chance I don't see MD at the end of your name are you a doctor sir? Do you have any Facts to support your claims. oh there is 3 for 3. You think saving a life is a waist of time this is non of your business.... This is what we specialize in. So now your 4 for 4 and still you mean to tell me you know everything about this case? even more than the investigation itself or you think that this is normal? do you know anything? this has nothing to do with the media, nothing to do with you, and has everything to do with Jahi and her family. you are a clown sir, you belong in a circus, who are you anyway, cant even put a picture up of your self that's to me is so lame. Come back after you have facts to back up your claim. because everything you stated is contrived.

https://www.facebook.com/www.nbli.org

Poor girl needs a true advocate for her body, someone to protect it from the leeches, vultures and crazies who are now just taking advantage of this tragedy. The inmates are running the asylum, including the judge that gave another week of zombie life to the dead girl.
Why don't they just try voodoo while they're at it? Or just contact their nearest necromancer? smile rolling left righteyes2

--------------

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it."
George Bernard Shaw

"An oyster can play catch if u only give it the oprotunity"
Some random YouTube commenter

"hate comments will be deleted!! fuckers!"
Some random YouTube uploader

Oh these "nursing home" folks are shysters for sure. The woman who runs it used to do hair for a living. And while hairstylist is a fine profession -- I wouldn't be able to cut hair professionally -- it does absolutely nothing to prepare a person to give medical treatment to people.

The fact that the quoted comment from FB above lashes out at a detractor for not having an MD after their name is hilariously ironic. Hairdresser doesn't come with a medical degree either, but at least the FB commenter is not running a business representing himself as a medical expert.

That FB page is an absolute clusterfuck, and it's obvious that this group is in it for the publicity, and perhaps their share of a hoped-for lawsuit.

If this famblee wants to play Weekend at Bernies with their kyd, and if people are stupid enough to send them donations to do so, I guess that is their choice until the money runs out.

What bothers me more is that New Beginnings FB page talks about "helping" and "treating" Veterans with traumatic brain injuries, etc. It's one thing to let a crazy famblee play house with a corpse; it's another story to try and rip off and take advantage of Veterans with treatable brain trauma. I'm more appalled by that right now, than anything else.
This place is not an inpatient facility and it appears it is not even complete. A local person said the building is basically a shell. These people want to rent out space to others who do holistic shit for the brain injured. I'm not sure they are involved, just renting out office space. They have some other group home type place that is not complete.

The hairdresser and her husband, who owns self-storage buildings, are behind this. Maybe this facility is like a self-storage place for humans with desperate family members who think miracles will happen. Maybe the woman gives magical haircuts that regrow brain cells.

The strategy here could be to get attention so Believers will donate to complete their Miracle centers. They know they can't take care of the zombie girl but that is beside the point anyway. They know she will never make it to their "community center". They don't even have to try to sound like they know anything because this isn't about medical care, it's all based on emotion and false hope. It's snake oil.
I can't understand why they can't just prove brain death or catastrophic damage by way of demonstrating the Lazarus Sign...

Demonstrated here: http://youtu.be/BTnApcbDkmM

Explained here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lazarus_sign

Thom/other medical folks, your thoughts?
doomflower
I can't understand why they can't just prove brain death or catastrophic damage by way of demonstrating the Lazarus Sign...

Demonstrated here: http://youtu.be/BTnApcbDkmM

Explained here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lazarus_sign

Thom/other medical folks, your thoughts?

It's just one piece of evidence to make the case for or against brain death. Cold colorics were probably also done. Apnea when off the vent, no cranial nerve reflexes, no pain response are the main cirteria. EEG is confirmatory. There is also evidence that tranascranial doppler to check for cerebral blood flow can be useful.

better info here: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2772257/#!po=12.5000

Dr. Jonathan Fellus, the chief medical officer with the International Brain Research Foundation, a nonprofit group that specializes in treating coma patients and claims to have helped hundreds of people deemed brain dead awaken from comas, is in California to assist Jahi McMath's family.

Fellus told The News she needs to spend more time in the hospital to recover from her cardiac arrest and to determine if she could wake from the coma. He said her young age and that she suffered the cardiac arrest in a hospital and was quickly treated are both positive factors that favor possible recovery.

"Basically we need the dust to settle," he said. "It's difficult to see a clear picture [in a patient's brain after a cardiac arrest]. It's still not a clear picture."

"We need to examine her further," IBRF Chief Executive Officer Dr. Philip Defina told the Daily News on Tuesday. "There is hope."

What Jahi needs, he noted, was more time.

"Why wouldn't you want to examine it further?" he said. "Why do we want to jump ahead and pull the plug on this 13-year-old girl who may have a chance to recover?"

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/new-york-doctors-urge-hope-brain-dead-jahi-mcmath-article-1.1562427#ixzz2p6cw7OxM

From the comments section, regarding this so-called doctor.

1 day ago
Older Wiser
Philip DeFina is NOT a Medical Doctor!

This is THE MAN we are talking about: A man with an "ONLINE" Doctorate Degree in clinical psychology from Fielding Graduate University. who pretends to be a neurologist or neuroscience reseacher.

"Meadowlands hospital neuroscientist fired over controversial autism treatment"
Star Ledger
January 10, 2012

"SECAUCUS — The neuroscientist who would have overseen a controversial therapy for children with autism has been fired by Meadowlands Hospital Medical Center in Secaucus and, in a separate action, his nomination to a state commission on brain research has been delayed.

Philip DeFina was part of an ambitious plan by Meadowlands to offer hyperbaric oxygen therapy to children diagnosed with autism. The therapy, typically used to treat burns and other wounds by energizing dying tissue, required approval from the state Department of Health and Senior Services. Meadowlands would have been the first hospital in the state to offer the experimental treatment.

But the application ran into strong opposition, and questions were raised in a Nov. 27 Star-Ledger article in which traditional medical and psychological experts said the treatment offers families false hope while draining bank accounts because the experimental therapy is not covered by insurance. Some families say it has helped their children, and argued that if a method is safe and seems to be effective, it should be given a chance even if it hasn’t been thoroughly vetted through research.

The article also described DeFina’s doctorate in clinical psychology from Fielding Graduate University. The school, a mainly online university with monthly in-person sessions, is the only one to receive national accreditation from the American Psychological Association. DeFina’s experimental treatments with neurologist Jonathan Fellus for coma and brain injury have fetched as much as $100,000 from the families of patients who have not improved using traditional means. Fellus remains at Meadowlands.

Meadowlands withdrew the application to treat autism using hyperbarics on Nov. 30. Without elaborating, hospital spokesman Bill Maer confirmed last week that DeFina was terminated Dec. 2.DeFina was vice president for rehabilitation at Meadowlands and the scientific adviser for its Rehabilitation Institute and Neuroscience Center.

DeFina’s troubles continued last week when a state Senate panel poised to vote on his nomination to the New Jersey Commission for Brain Injury Research was delayed by its chairman, as well as Gov. Chris Christie’s administration, which tapped him for the unpaid post. DeFina said he was unaware his nomination to the commission was put on hold.

Senate Judiciary Committee Chairman Nicholas Scutari said he delayed the vote on DeFina’s nomination to the brain injury research commissioner last week because he was "concerned about the information in the article. I want to delve into it more."

Scutari said a Christie official requested the nomination be pulled from the agenda. The governor’s office did not return a call or an e-mail seeking comment.

The commission reviews and funds research funded by a $1 surcharge on motor vehicle offenses.

Sen. Joseph Vitale (D-Middlesex), vice chairman of the Senate Health, Human Services and Senior Services Committee, said he had no knowledge of DeFina’s dismissal. But he questioned why the administration asked to table its own appointment. "Who nominated him, and why?" Vitale said.

Meadowlands needed a license from the state Department of Health and Senior Services to use two hyperbaric chambers it bought last year, and would have needed state permission to use it to treat autism, a use not approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration.

In rescinding its application to treat autism, Meadowlands "felt that it was more appropriate to focus on receiving approval for hyperbaric chambers for the use as part of the creation of a wound care center," Maer said, noting its service area "has one of the highest prevalence of diabetes and peripheral vascular disease in New Jersey."

So, the guy who runs one of the groups claiming the girl could still "recover" tried to make a living bilking parunts of awtistic kyds. Another "top-notch" "expert" put forth by this famblee.
stillwaters
confused smiley If the body isn't alive, how does it have a metabolism to "lose weight"? Is this just more dysfunction in the brain of the moo?

My guess is it's not metabolism or "starving." It's the body simply wasting away. I don't know if life support also includes IV fluids to keep the body hydrated, but if not, then I imagine the body is drying up too. I wonder what her insides look like and how long it'll take for the room to start reeking of death. It really is a shame they didn't harvest the girl's viable organs and at least make something good come out of the loss of her life, but noooope. She's alive in dere somewhere, gawdammit, so let's just keep her hooked up to a machine for the next 40 years because she could wake up tomorrow! I keep having visions of the loving family visiting the corpse a year later, still in the hospital, and the girl's flesh is all black and rotted/decomposed, her organs have turned to gravy and leaked out her orifices, and there is a Febreze humidifer in the room that Mommy finds to be very rude. She will still have life support hooked up too, with IVs stuck in a rotten arm with bones exposed.

All so Mommy Doesn't Have To CryTM. Maybe they should get her body embalmed now while it still looks relatively human, but maybe use stronger embalming fluid so she stays preserved longer, and then keep the body in a glass case in their home. That way, they can keep the corpse at home and have their little fantasies about her coming back to life without hogging a bed at a hospital that someone who is still alive can use. Kind of makes me wonder if rigor mortis has set in yet too.
Cambion, you just came up with an idea for a great Febreze commercial!
I think there are several things at play here which converge into one big, perfect storm, cluster fuck and they include, but aren't limited to, the following:

1)The family doesn't understand the differences in the diagnoses of coma, persistent vegetative state, and brain dead.

2)All the stories of alleged "brain dead" people miraculously "waking up" and going on to live full lives is tremendously misinterpreted or incorrectly reported.. Of ALL the stories mentioned, in various articles about cases where the "brain dead" patients made a recovery, they were either initially misdiagnosed in the early hours following when they were determined to be brain dead OR they were in a coma and diagnosed as such in the very beginning.

3)Because this poor girl appears "alive", due to her body being maintained by machines, it makes it that more difficult for the family to accept she's dead.

Since the family seems to be religious and there's lots of talk about "God's will", I'd like to suggest they allow the "life support" to be removed that keeps her heart and lungs functioning, which is not to be confused with oxygen support or feeding tubes. I don't think dead people have "respiration", so perhaps if the family is made aware of this they MIGHT allow that type of support to be removed and let "God's will" take over. I wish they could comprehend this child is brain dead, NOT in a coma, and has ZERO chance of any type of a "recovery" at all or in the least. I'd bet if the hospital had agreed to continue the feeding tube(as pointless as that is) and keep an oxygen mask on her(as pointless as that is too), then her body would stop breathing and they could bury her. I think the hospital could have handled this differently once they realized the family wasn't going to accept a brain death diagnosis, although I can't imagine how once the media got it's teeth into it and all the pro-life zealots latched onto it.shrug

If she hasn't responded to any "treatment", has continued to fail signs of brain activity tests for nearly a month, and a bevy of doctors have unanimously concluded there is no brain activity on any level, that girl isn't going to start having any brain waves let alone, "wake up".: Like has been mentioned too, she LOOKS dead. In one of the most recent photos of her propped up in her hospital bed she looks like a corpse in a casket. That the family is pretending she's responding in any way is sad, but absurd. I also noticed how the Terri Schiavo Foundation has gotten involved which is ridiculous too because Terri had some brain activity, could breathe on her own, and could open her eyes and whatnot. This poor girl hasn't done any of that and won't because she's dead.thumbs updown

Does anyone know the results of keeping a deceased person on "life support"? How long before their body starts decomposing and simply starts rotting where it's propped up?confused smiley

------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- -------
If YOU are the "exception" to what I am saying, then why does my commentary bother you so much?
I don't hate your kids, I HATE YOU!
"Does anyone know the results of keeping a deceased person on "life support"? How long before their body starts decomposing and simply starts rotting where it's propped up? confused smiley "

I think the brain starts to liquify during the next several weeks while the person is on life support. The angiogram pictures of the brain dead person's brain that I've found on Google just show the circulation ending mainly at the neck, there is a whitish void beyond that in the skull. But that's the main thing I know of.
nightfire
"Does anyone know the results of keeping a deceased person on "life support"? How long before their body starts decomposing and simply starts rotting where it's propped up? confused smiley "

I think the brain starts to liquify during the next several weeks while the person is on life support. The angiogram pictures of the brain dead person's brain that I've found on Google just show the circulation ending mainly at the neck, there is a whitish void beyond that in the skull. But that's the main thing I know of.

This is sounding more and more like the Walking Dead. Except Jahi is not walking anywhere.

This family sounds like the Governer, when he would not accept that his daughter was dead, and he was combing her hair as her skull was rotting off.
Jesus wept, when are they going to accept that she's dead? When the flies start laying eggs? When black putrefaction starts? When the bones start showing?

--------------

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it."
George Bernard Shaw

"An oyster can play catch if u only give it the oprotunity"
Some random YouTube commenter

"hate comments will be deleted!! fuckers!"
Some random YouTube uploader

A federal magistrate has ordered "settlement talks" to take place today between Jahi's family and the hospital's lawyers. This oughtta be interesting... especially when it becomes known that this "New Beginnings" facility in New York is not operational (so for all intents and purposes, it doesn't exist.)

Rumor has it that after Jahi woke up from surgery, she was encouraged to talk and laugh, and someone even snuck her a cheeseburger -- both of which are a BIG no-no right after throat surgery (especially one as extensive as this.) Those things, if they're true, would change everything -- because they aren't the hospital's fault.

How much you wanna bet that once Jahi is in the ground, her mother is gonna get some deep-dickin' in hopes of a replacement loaf?
mr. neptune
Cambion, you just came up with an idea for a great Febreze commercial!

I love this.

"OK take off your blindfolds..."

"AUUUUGHHHHHH!"

--------------------
"[GFG's pregnancy is] kind of like at the stables where that one dumb, ugly-ass mare broke out of her corral one day and got herself screwed by the equally fugly colt that was due to be gelded the same afternoon."- Shiny
I truly feel sorry for the parents because it does appear the hospital treated her callously and didn't take her bleeding seriously enough. I've been in the hospital and witnessed people ignoring my relatives (one almost died after a drug reaction) and I can understand the fury. The family probably doesn't trust anything the hospital says at this point. HOWEVER, the reality is their daughter is gone and they need to let her go.
now apparently moo is going to be responsible for her transfer, wooooooboi

http://www.mercurynews.com/breaking-news/ci_24840744/jahi-mcmath-mom-can-remove-brain-dead-daughter
I just heard this one on the news......http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/12/25/texas-hospital-forbids-husband-of-brain-dead-pregnant-wife-to-remove-her-from-life-support/
ladybug2203

http://www.mercurynews.com/breaking-news/ci_24840744/jahi-mcmath-mom-can-remove-brain-dead-daughter

Good. If her family is going to carry on with their delusions that she's still alive, they can be responsible for her care. Though I suspect that they'll try to claim that something goes wrong in the transfer and try to further sue the hospital.

And again, we see that this family is spinning constant lies. They said that a critical care ambulance will take her from the hospital, but haven't named the ambulance company, just like they never named the doctor who supposedly examined her and determined that she's still alive, or the care facility that supposedly said it would take her in NY.
In all that drama, my one hope is that they are paying for her "care" themselves. The villagers tax money could be better used to save live persons, not to mummify dead ones. skull2
ladybug2203

A big bet this braindead girl will be completely dead in a week. It's not going to be long now...
Jahi's mother is nothing but an attention whore, who'll stop at nothing to get her disgusting gaping maw on television. Since she's taking the body home, this breaks the chain of custody, and she'll no longer have a valid suit against the hospital (even if Jahi codes on the way out the door.) Not only does her famblee not deserve a penny, but the hospital should go to court and take their house to pay the astronomical bill that Jahi's body rang up in the Expensive Care Unit.

I'm not completely insensitive to people's feelings -- it hurts to lose a family member (not just a child.) But most people don't make a macabre side show attraction out of it! I'm just waiting for them to start hollering about "Obamacare death panels," compare her to Trayvon Martin, or otherwise pull the race card. That's the level of sophistication and intelligence we're dealing with here.

I'm thinking her body is gonna fall apart the second they try to move it out of the ICU bed (whenever that takes place,) and she'll try to sue the hospital for that, too...
I sincerely hope that the child's already dead body is released from further intervention within minutes of leaving the hospital.
I think almost everyone cares more for that (former) child than the parents do.
I may be excessively suspicious, but I wonder if the whole circus was not made to avoid the hospital making a post-mortem to the child's body-

“I was talking about children that have not been properly house-trained. Left to their own impulses and indulged by doting or careless parents almost all children are yahoos. Loud, selfish, cruel, unaffectionate, jealous, perpetually striving for attention, empty-headed, for ever prating or if words fail them simply bawling, their voices grown huge from daily practice: the very worst company in the world. But what I dislike even more than the natural child is the affected child, the hulking oaf of seven or eight that skips heavily about with her hands dangling in front of her -- a little squirrel or bunny-rabbit -- and prattling away in a baby's voice.”

― Patrick O'Brian, The Truelove

lib'-er-ty: the freedom given to you to make the wrong decision, based on the reasoned belief that you will normally make the right one.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login