Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

"Just friends" couple allowed to 'adopt' kids, judge rules.

Posted by Anonymous User 
Good gravy.

Couple who are just friends allowed to adopt, judge says in landmark ruling

The couple, who have been friends since 2000, decided to adopt a child together and went to court to add the man’s name as the girl’s father. And we have FAIL right from the start. He is not the sperm donor, nor is he married to the 'mother', nor does he have any serious intention to marry her. By about several thousand years of precedant, he has no right to be called her father.

In a first of its kind ruling in New York, a Manhattan judge has given a couple who're just friends the green light to become legal co-parents to an adopted girl. Four years and they're still not married, hence my accusation above.

The pals identified, only as LEL and KAL, met in 2000 and have been close friends since, according to court papers.

Several years ago, KAL decided she wanted to become a mom, and LEL offered to be her sperm donor.

But when she couldn't get pregnant, they “decided to instead adopt a child together,” the court papers say. Infertile, obsessed, uncommitted friends with benefits. Oh, this just keeps getting better.

“They spent years planning and hoping” for a child, and their dream came true in 2011, when KAL was able to adopt a child — identified as G. — from Ethiopia. Oh spiffy! Adopting a black/brown peasant kid, that's sure to be EXTRA trendy! the world 'fail' on flames

They traveled to Africa together to bring the baby home, but because they weren't married, only KAL was able to adopt, filings say.

When they returned to the U.S., the pair petitioned Manhattan Surrogate's Court to have LEL named as a second legal parent, even though they don't live together and are not romantically involved.

In a landmark ruling, Judge Rita Mella did so.

“From the moment they met G,, more than two years ago now, KAL and LEL have functioned as her parents," the judge wrote in a decision from last month.

“G. calls KAL ‘Mommy’ and LEL ‘Daddy,’” and “although they live in separate households,” they “have created a nurturing family environment for G., including a well-thought-out, (like hell) discussed and fluid method of sharing parenting responsibilities between their homes.” '

he splits time at LEL's house in Brooklyn and KAL's apartment in Manhattan, and they “also spend much time together as a family,” even travelling together to visit each other's relatives, the ruling says.

G, “a good-natured toddler and quick to laugh,” transitions “easily and smoothly between her two homes” and has “good relationships with LEL's domestic partner and KAL's housemate,” the ruling says.

LEL argued that making him a legal second parent was in G.'s best interests, and would provide her with better health care and school options, and a more secure future.

Mella agreed, and used a 2010 state statute allowing “intimate partners” to adopt as a basis for allowing the couple’s the adoption to proceed, noting that the phrase can mean a close, long-term relationship. In plain english: the judge twisted the ancient precedent of "you banged it, you bought it" - which was once used to drag irresponsible men back to supporting the woman they impregnated and abandoned even if only with a check - to allow two people who can't even claim to be 'co-parenting' to claim equality with a couple who's duly filed for a marriage certificate, marched up the aisle, and pledged before whatever god(s) they believe in and a crowd of witnesses to stick together.

She also cited the findings of the social worker who observed the family in action, and determined that “even though their relationship is not based on what many consider a traditional family, they exhibit a love and respect for one another and clearly cherish the family they have created.”

A top matrimonial lawyer not involved in the case, Bernard Clair, said the ruling “expands the boundaries of adoption rights.” It sure does. Next up: adoption info-booths at trendy fashion shops. Don't laugh; it might well happen.

Another blog commentor stole my own thoughts:

That poor kid. Brought into a non-existent family so she can be a boutique accessory for “mommy” to cart around and show off. I’m glad she’s alive, at least, but what a lousy starting point – more so because it’s intentional.

There is a flogging reason that two people (forget the gay debate for a moment) d pledged to stick together for life were the only ones allowed to claim parenthood unless there were no other options, like a single auntie. I can only hope that the kid can handle the emotional bomb when she finds out that 'mama' could not even be euphamistically called a common-law wife because she and 'dada' didn't even live in the same house. There are definitions you do not break, bend, stretch, or otherwise 'rule' on and a world of catastrophe awaits those stupid enough to do so.
Re: "Just friends" couple allowed to 'adopt' kids, judge rules.
January 06, 2014
My thoughts are kind of going in two directions. On one hand, yay for them adopting when the woman couldn't get knocked up rather than pursuing fertility treatments. On the other hand, I wonder how this will affect the kid growing up, being shuffled between two homes like the kid of divorced parents and how it will affect the kid's future view of how relationships work. That's probably a stretch. It's definitely a strange arrangement, but if it works, I can't question it. Sometimes friends love each other more than spouses do and the relationship they have (if it actually IS platonic) may well be stronger than that of two people who are dating or married.

I also wonder how the significant others of the adopting parents feel about this. Granted, the child is not their biological offspring, but I imagine it could cause issues down the road if shit hits the fan between the parents, much like the trouble a bio-kid can cause legally when Moo and Duh part ways. Like would one of them be on the hook for child support if they decide to end the friendship? Who would be the one to keep the kid? Are the partners of the parents also taking some kind of role in the child-raising, or do they just put up with the kid when it comes over? In the event the parents and their respective partners ever decide to have One Of Our OwnTM, what will become of this adopted kid caught in the middle?

Again, I'm not saying this is a bad or wrong arrangement. Just very different. I'd be curious to see how it pans out.
January 06, 2014
Cambion
Again, I'm not saying this is a bad or wrong arrangement. Just very different. I'd be curious to see how it pans out.

Good points. I feel ambivalent about this as well, though I see in it a lot of positives. Typically, splitting up responsibility and care of a child comes about at the end of a failed relationship and can be contentious. And parenting between good friends beats being torn between two fighting parents. In this particular case, the co-parents also have the support of both families.

I think the scenario will turn out well for this couple, but am not sure if it's a good idea for the general population. It's a very complicated situation.
January 06, 2014
Better having loving parents who live separately, then having to live with married asshole parental units.:BS
January 06, 2014
I am an asexual, aromantic woman, and find this a very interesting possibility, not for me, of course, but for other asexual aromantic people wishing to adopt a child.
Why not? Romantic love is not the only kind of love around.

“I was talking about children that have not been properly house-trained. Left to their own impulses and indulged by doting or careless parents almost all children are yahoos. Loud, selfish, cruel, unaffectionate, jealous, perpetually striving for attention, empty-headed, for ever prating or if words fail them simply bawling, their voices grown huge from daily practice: the very worst company in the world. But what I dislike even more than the natural child is the affected child, the hulking oaf of seven or eight that skips heavily about with her hands dangling in front of her -- a little squirrel or bunny-rabbit -- and prattling away in a baby's voice.”

― Patrick O'Brian, The Truelove

lib'-er-ty: the freedom given to you to make the wrong decision, based on the reasoned belief that you will normally make the right one.
January 06, 2014
I kinda want to see how it goes for them. They seem responsible enough to make it work well.
It's like a divorced couple minus the fighting, bitterness while using the kid as a pawn.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Don't you know how to deal with children?!"
"I don't like animals who act on instinct."
I think you're on to something Akihiko.
January 06, 2014
I don't really see the problem with allowing 2 people who don't have a romantic link be co-parents. Marriage does not always equal stability and there are other sorts of close, stable relationships besides those that include romance.
January 06, 2014
I actually don't have a problem with this. The child is being raised with this so it's not like a divorce when things change drastically and then the kid is split between homes. The kid will have more financial stability than if it was just the single parent and the guy seems to have a job that will offer better benefits for the kid.

This is probably a better situation than just a single person adopting, IMO. It can't be that frivolous because this guy is volunteering to be stuck for 18 years of support.
January 06, 2014
The people are giving a kid a home. Hetero love-interested parents have been screwing up things for a long time. If someone else wants to give a kid a home, I can't get all bent out of shape over it.
January 06, 2014
As long as mature people are willing to give a child all that it needs in life, I don't give a shit if they are married, single, hetro, gay, trans, white, black, grey , blue, etc.
Willingly take on the job of child-rearing and do a decent job of it and I don't give a damn about other aspects of your life.
Yeah, I don't really mind this. You don't have to be in love to parent, and you certainly don't need government approval of your relationship. You just need to be working together and dedicated to providing them a good life. The government needs to get the hell out of our relationships.

I suppose it'd be slightly simpler if they did actually share a place, but I really think the unit home gets over-hyped in our culture. Children didn't always grow up in a unit home, and as we know, children today aren't especially well adjusted, so it's not like we have any evidence that it's actually better.

Good on them for adopting, anyway.
January 06, 2014
lilin_unite
You just need to be working together and dedicated to providing them a good life.

Like a new romantic love, often the first flush of finding a best friend, combined with baby rabies, can lead to a rash decision. My concern is that this is new territory for judges to weigh in on. Wrangling continues in some states about the acceptability of committed gay couples who wish to adopt, now a different configuration appears. I think it can work, but still foresee a lot of new boilerplate conjecturing about the suitability of this kind of parenting.
January 06, 2014
It's already been proven that even though heterosex produces babies, hetero life-pairing is a dicey proposition at best. Most straight marriages that fail do so within seven years, and the chances are steeper when a kid is added. I am with bell_flower--if a kid has parents who are a firm, consistent, loving adult force it his/her life, I don't care if those parents are male, female, cis, trans, adopted, bio, white, monogamous, poly, black, polka dot, or from Mars.

Maybe this format will work. Maybe not. I'm sure there will be lots of hand-wringing in the press, though.

It's basically another attempt at parenting...and compared to the other primates, we humans are pretty shitty at it. Let's hope it works for this kid.
Dorisan
lilin_unite
You just need to be working together and dedicated to providing them a good life.

Like a new romantic love, often the first flush of finding a best friend, combined with baby rabies, can lead to a rash decision. My concern is that this is new territory for judges to weigh in on. Wrangling continues in some states about the acceptability of committed gay couples who wish to adopt, now a different configuration appears. I think it can work, but still foresee a lot of new boilerplate conjecturing about the suitability of this kind of parenting.

Well, yeah. Essentially, the risk of human stupidity is a constant.

I just don't see any reason this is a unique high risk. From the sounds of things, they've been friends for a very long time, and been caring for this girl for quite a while. So... whatev's. Another homeless kid that now has a home. Her odds of having a decent childhood don't seem any better or worse than anyone else's.
January 07, 2014
randomcfchick
It's already been proven that even though heterosex produces babies, hetero life-pairing is a dicey proposition at best. Most straight marriages that fail do so within seven years, and the chances are steeper when a kid is added. I am with bell_flower--if a kid has parents who are a firm, consistent, loving adult force it his/her life, I don't care if those parents are male, female, cis, trans, adopted, bio, white, monogamous, poly, black, polka dot, or from Mars.

Maybe this format will work. Maybe not. I'm sure there will be lots of hand-wringing in the press, though.

It's basically another attempt at parenting...and compared to the other primates, we humans are pretty shitty at it. Let's hope it works for this kid.

Brilliantly said!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login