Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Prudie: But-but-but Second Wife doesn't love my kids! sad smiley

Posted by Dorisan 
Prudie: But-but-but Second Wife doesn't love my kids! sad smiley
April 08, 2014
Jeeze, dude, she's being an attentive, caring stepmom. So what if she doesn't worship your little DNA replicants?

Q. Stepmother: My second wife has always gotten along well with my kids from my first marriage. Since our marriage, she became a typical mom who cooks healthful meals, frets over safety, and plans fun activities. However, I overheard her whispered telephone conversation with her mother about how she never really loved my kids. She said her heart is not in it and she's only cared about them because she loves me. She said she feels guilty admitting this but all the nice things she ever does for my kids is out of obligation, not love. I'm not sure how to discuss this issue with her as there's nothing to fault with how she treats my kids.

A: Good for your wife for faking it so well that neither you nor the kids have gotten a hint that she's anything but a fully enthusiastic second mother to them. What you heard was the equivalent of your stumbling on her diary. One thing that makes life interesting is how complicated and surprising people are—even the ones we think we know best. So you have found out that your wife struggles with the fact that because of her love for you she has to try to be a mother to your kids, a role that does not come easy to her. I hear about too many second wives who either openly make the first family unwelcome or subtly undermine the father's relationship. Your wife has wholly embraced her obligations and is making a delightful home for your kids. That should make you appreciate her all the more. Don't say anything about the overheard conversation. But a few weeks from now, after perhaps a long and exhausting weekend with your children, tell her how much you appreciate what she does for them. Say that you know being a stepmother can be thankless, so you wanted to thank her what she does. (And also make sure that your children express their appreciation to her. Not in a rote or obsequious way, but because you are training them to be grateful to anyone who goes out of their way for them.) Years down the line, she may discover that as far as your children are concerned at some point—she can't even put her finger on when—she found her heart fully engaged.
Re: Prudie: But-but-but Second Wife doesn't love my kids! sad smiley
April 08, 2014
Seems that the second wife knew the kids were part of the deal, and is sucking it up. He should be bowing down in her direction every morning because she was willing to take on his extra baggage. From what he writes it sounds like she's working hard at it, too.

He's not sure how to discuss this issue with her? Not sure what there is to discuss. The fact that the conversation was whispered shows that she doesn't want him to know. That's what happens when you overhear things...sometimes they're things you don't want to know. The most he can do is show gratitude, and teach his kids to respect the new stepmother. He doesn't get to have a sit-down convo with her about it, because his hurt fee-fees aren't really her problem.
April 08, 2014
Run, stepmother, Run! Get out now before you're dealing with mouthy teenagers and the Duh won't back you up.
April 08, 2014
JoJo
Run, stepmother, Run! Get out now before you're dealing with mouthy teenagers and the Duh won't back you up.

Exactly.

They'll turn into typical mouthy teens, step-mom will turn to her husband in expectation that he step up to his responsibility, and he'll guilt her with "well, if you luuuuved them, they wouldn't act like this."
April 08, 2014
Why the hell did she get involved with a Duh if she knew what it was going to be like?
April 08, 2014
FOR FUCKS SAKE!!!

The woman is doing the best she can and acting and showing love and care!!!

I almost think this is a fake letter.

Most Duhs would be more than happy with a new care taker.

The wording makes me think it's fake - "cooks healthful meals, frets over safety, and plans fun activities."

What Average Duh uses such wording?

Ima guess this whole letter is 'made up'.

And what Duh even cares if New Cow "loves" them, anyway? He'd be happy as a pig in shit just to see the kids taken off his hands / babysat / taken care of.

This is wholly BS / very likely FAKE.

Forget kids - most men don't care if a female "loves" them or not - as long as she's fuckin and cookin - he's all good.

Healthful? Frets? Average Duh does not use these words. These are English Major words. And Average Duh would be MORE THAN HAPPY that some deluded fool is minding their kids.

BULLSHIT!!! :BS :BS :BS

smile rolling left righteyes2
April 09, 2014
Dorisan
JoJo

Exactly.

They'll turn into typical mouthy teens, step-mom will turn to her husband in expectation that he step up to his responsibility, and he'll guilt her with "well, if you luuuuved them, they wouldn't act like this."

THIS.
And you know he will never back her up, he will always sides with his DNA replicants and she will be left floundering all by her own.

“I was talking about children that have not been properly house-trained. Left to their own impulses and indulged by doting or careless parents almost all children are yahoos. Loud, selfish, cruel, unaffectionate, jealous, perpetually striving for attention, empty-headed, for ever prating or if words fail them simply bawling, their voices grown huge from daily practice: the very worst company in the world. But what I dislike even more than the natural child is the affected child, the hulking oaf of seven or eight that skips heavily about with her hands dangling in front of her -- a little squirrel or bunny-rabbit -- and prattling away in a baby's voice.”

― Patrick O'Brian, The Truelove

lib'-er-ty: the freedom given to you to make the wrong decision, based on the reasoned belief that you will normally make the right one.
April 09, 2014
Best thing to do is never marry a person with kids.
April 10, 2014
Once kyds begin their teenage hormone swings and they begin to attack and criticize everything that their step mum does, I hope this woman realizes what kind of mess she is in. Better yet, I hope she dumps the duh NOW and finds herself a CF man.
April 12, 2014
Zzelda
FOR FUCKS SAKE!!!

The woman is doing the best she can and acting and showing love and care!!!

I almost think this is a fake letter.

Most Duhs would be more than happy with a new care taker.

The wording makes me think it's fake - "cooks healthful meals, frets over safety, and plans fun activities."

What Average Duh uses such wording?

Ima guess this whole letter is 'made up'.

And what Duh even cares if New Cow "loves" them, anyway? He'd be happy as a pig in shit just to see the kids taken off his hands / babysat / taken care of.

This is wholly BS / very likely FAKE.

Forget kids - most men don't care if a female "loves" them or not - as long as she's fuckin and cookin - he's all good.

Healthful? Frets? Average Duh does not use these words. These are English Major words. And Average Duh would be MORE THAN HAPPY that some deluded fool is minding their kids.

BULLSHIT!!! :BS :BS :BS

smile rolling left righteyes2

I'm with you, but if it is real, this guy is a total moron if he chooses to even bring it up. My dad spent 5 years with a woman who openly despised my sister and I. The pussy was rolling and the food was being cooked. He would every so often try to have a "pep-talk" with her but only when things would escalate. Recently in a conversation with him about her, he revealed that she was a wanamoo, but my dad didn't want more kyds, but she was dead set on "one of our own, " and wanted to make us behind the couchers. But I think my dad was just dumb enough at the time that had he been open to more kyds, he might have stayed with her because she was fucking him and remained blind to the fact that she was evil to us. So this guy (again, if this is even real) should be grateful for the fact that she's being nice to his spawn. tongue sticking out smiley
April 12, 2014
This duh just needs to be bloody grateful. So what if she doesn't love them, one day she might decide she does, but it takes time for a family relationship to develop like thatwhen you don't have the biological tie that seems to make people utterly blind to the fact that their kids are a pain in the ass. If she's kind to them and likes them that's perfectly fine.

This is why dating single duhs suck, they are always looking for a replacement. They aren't content to take you for who and what you are.
yummynotmummy
This duh just needs to be bloody grateful. So what if she doesn't love them, one day she might decide she does, but it takes time for a family relationship to develop like thatwhen you don't have the biological tie that seems to make people utterly blind to the fact that their kids are a pain in the ass. If she's kind to them and likes them that's perfectly fine.

This is why dating single duhs suck, they are always looking for a replacement. They aren't content to take you for who and what you are.

Yup. This guy was looking for a replacement, got it, and is now butthurt over her lack of enthusiasm for the job.
April 17, 2014
What does he expect? This is like the owner of a company being shocked and sad because he found out that all of his employees don't love their jobs and they just do it for the paycheck.

I'm with Zzelda. It's so extremely rare for people to correctly the word "healthful" to describe food or behaviors rather than the much more common "healthy." It's possible that this guy is real and happens to be a writer by trade, but even then coming up with the word "fret" rather than worry...I just don't know. Also, how many grown men are going to write to an advice columnist looking for guidance on "how to discuss this issue" with someone? I wonder if Prudie wrote this letter herself.

However, it does sound just like an oblivious, sexist Daddy type to be totally blindsided by the idea that women don't fall in love with children just because they're there. Stepkids are like an arranged marriage - you really have no idea what you're getting until you're stuck with them for good. Besides, how long has he been married to this woman and how often is she seeing these kids? Maybe she doesn't even know them very well. Can't this guy (assuming he's real) just be grateful that someone agreed to marry his bechilded self and shut up? This woman is taking a huge risk and making a completely unnecessary reduction in her quality of life by voluntarily putting herself at no higher than #4 on her husband's priority list. What more does he want?
April 18, 2014
spinstar
I'm with Zzelda. It's so extremely rare for people to correctly the word "healthful" to describe food or behaviors rather than the much more common "healthy." It's possible that this guy is real and happens to be a writer by trade, but even then coming up with the word "fret" rather than worry...I just don't know. Also, how many grown men are going to write to an advice columnist looking for guidance on "how to discuss this issue" with someone? I wonder if Prudie wrote this letter herself.

Could be Prudie. But if it's a fake, I bet it was written by the stepmom posing as the father. Maybe she figured out that he got wind of those "whispered conversations" and is trying to figure out how to deal with possible fallout.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login