Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Being CHILDFREE got me a job!!! thumbs upwink

Posted by DivaLasVegas 
Being CHILDFREE got me a job!!! thumbs upwink
April 13, 2014
Yup! Being childfree gave me an edge!

So I recently lost my job due to being laid off and have been sending out resumes left and right. I got called in for an interview for an office job, part-time that may at some point go full-time. During the interview one of the questions I was asked was why should they hire me. Among my answers was that I am dependable and never call off. I said something along the lines of "I don't have any kids so you won't have to worry about me coming in late because I had to drop a kid off at school, and you won't have to worry about me cutting out of here early to pick up a kid or take it to soccer practice or whatever it is they do now."
The interviewers nodded their heads and said that that was a great thing because they need someone dependable who is not going to be calling off all the time, and that one point in the past they had an employee who had kids and she was always late/leaving early/calling off, and was just a general problem with attendance. They said my ability to be dependable definitely made me an excellent candidate.
Well needless to say I got the job!!

Suck it, breeders! :yeah
Re: Being CHILDFREE got me a job!!! thumbs upwink
April 13, 2014
I am happy that you got the job.

In my experience, being thoroughly dependable and available for extra hours in several workplaces, eventually forced me to take on the responsibilities for all of the unreliable people.
I got close to zero time off and got hassled when I asked for any reasonable request.

Just be careful about your role becoming the only super reliable person, but not getting any extra wages/ credit for that role.
April 13, 2014
I am glad that the company that you got the job at was able to see how much more valuable you are over other candidates. They also need to see that you are less likely to bring cold and flu to work that parents typically tend to bring to work because their kyds bring it from school.

It is funny how moos often do not want to hire other moos. They know how unreliable and self absorbed moos really are. In the past, it used to be that nobody wanted to hire moos, but laws were passed and moos had to be hired. What ended up happening is that childless workers had to do extra work to compensate for the loss that childed people have created.
April 13, 2014
cassia

In my experience, being thoroughly dependable and available for extra hours in several workplaces, eventually forced me to take on the responsibilities for all of the unreliable people.
I got close to zero time off and got hassled when I asked for any reasonable request.

Just be careful about your role becoming the only super reliable person, but not getting any extra wages/ credit for that role.

Here in US, what you are describing usually happens if your workplace boss is a moo. Working for a non-moo does have a different dynamic, at least it did in my experience.

If you work for a moo, you have to play games. Lie, as much as you can, to get what you need. Moos lie, all the time. If you speak the truth, they will take advantage of you.
Anonymous User
April 13, 2014
cassia

Congratulations on the job! It's refreshing that they admitted what they did, during the interview, and saw you as an asset, rather than a threat to the organization.

I do, however, have quite a bit of experience doing everyone else's work, including that of managers, bc they were unreliable... and naturally, they never had to suffer a consequence of it. Hopefully, being dependable, reliable, and competent doesn't bite you in the ass, having you do the head honchos' work and everyone else's without a pay rise, because they chose to breed and you didn't.

The very minute you think this is the case, cut out on time, every time, and be unavailable when they call you.
April 13, 2014
fade_to_pale
cassia

Congratulations on the job! It's refreshing that they admitted what they did, during the interview, and saw you as an asset, rather than a threat to the organization.

I do, however, have quite a bit of experience doing everyone else's work, including that of managers, bc they were unreliable... and naturally, they never had to suffer a consequence of it. Hopefully, being dependable, reliable, and competent doesn't bite you in the ass, having you do the head honchos' work and everyone else's without a pay rise, because they chose to breed and you didn't.

The very minute you think this is the case, cut out on time, every time, and be unavailable when they call you.

Many good points. Definitely, managers are quick to dump the workload on the worker that works the most because they know it will get done, while allowing their favorite employees to sit there and goof off.

Workplace dynamic is a little different in some cases. As long as there is a busy body who is willing to do it all, all is well. Hard work without reward is common if there is someone willing to do hard work. It is OK to promise what they want to hear at the interview, but actually doing all of the work will not get you much. Telling them what you can do and how much they need to pay you to get that done, that is a different story.
April 13, 2014
CONGRATULATIONS!!!

:beer

SO HAPPY! To see Happy News like this!

YAY!

:jump
April 13, 2014
Techie

Here in US, what you are describing usually happens if your workplace boss is a moo. Working for a non-moo does have a different dynamic, at least it did in my experience.

If you work for a moo, you have to play games. Lie, as much as you can, to get what you need. Moos lie, all the time. If you speak the truth, they will take advantage of you.

Hey, sorry I haven't been around for ages. There's been a lot of death in my family lately but I wanted to put in my two cents here. I have found out the hard way that the above is true and it's awful. I recently have suffered the effects of a moo boss who can't see past the nose on her face. I've been stonewalled even as I'm pleading for help from her in asking for two days off recently because I'm having a hard time dealing with the recent and extremely unexpected loss of my father less than two months ago and a dear friend who passed after a protracted battle with cancer less than a week ago. I never EVER call out and rarely take vacation time (I have over 300 hours in my bank) but my boss took off almost a month to care for her sick mom - who recovered, by the way.

I pride myself on being honest and it has gotten me nothing but heartache. That won't change my personal policy on being honest but it certainly will alter the way I disclose my reasons for things. I'm at an impasse. I won't just call out because the doctors I work with depend on me to be there and my boss won't send any coverage. She won't give me time off that is available - I checked the vacation calendar - even though I desperately need it. I've been wracked by an emotional avalanche from the recent losses in my life and more than once I've wept in front of my coworkers and once even in front of a patient. VERY unprofessional. Granted, I've managed to pull myself together but the fact remains that I need just a couple days. I asked for two days! but she won't give it to me, stating that "It isn't enough notice." Really? Sorry I couldn't give notice for my friend dying. My bad.
April 14, 2014
@CrazyCatLady: Lie too moos - you are correct - they don't see past their nose. Next time, tell them you are caring for a kyd - that works almost every time.

It is best to keep all personal details away from your boss - any boss. Especially a moo. They will back stab you so fast, you won't know what happened.

Workplace does not need to know anybody's personal family status, who lives at your place, anything. The more they know, the more they have to use against you. Moo bosses are not there to work - they are there to self-serve. They are not honest and they don't deserve anything in return. Only do enough work to get by for a moo boss. If a company owner has a problem with it, then they can hire different managers. Until then - screw 'em all breeder pandering bastards - they ride on CF people's backs.
April 14, 2014
Congrats on getting the job, DivaLasVegas! :bal
April 14, 2014
Congrats Diva! I love hearing stories like this.
April 16, 2014
Congratulations on getting that job, DivaLasVegas!

:partay
April 18, 2014
Thanks for all the comments! thumbs upwink

There are no moos in the office. It's a small office, and my boss is the business owner who built his business and runs it out of his home in a formal office that he made in a portion of his finished basement, which is a lower-level walk-out complete with large windows and French doors leading out to a patio. It's him, his wife, adult son, a female employee who has three grown kids, and me. Basically we all have our own job duty. All work is done via computer/email/fax; there is no physical people/customer contact. It's a casual office as far as dress code, but very disciplined, strict and by-the-book as far as employment. I got a formal welcome letter and went through the formal hiring process as far as all the paperwork goes. There are formal rules, as in you are expected to be at work exactly at your start time, formal vacation request and when taking vacation leave it will be my responsibility to see that the others in the office can take over and run my work. The pay is good and my insurance premiums are paid for 100% by my boss, and I'll get a pension after 3 years.
Basically, there is no way in hell that a moo would survive in that environment.

So yeah, I think I got pretty lucky smug
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login