Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Single Moo of 3 Dies, Leaves Parents with Kyds + 200k in Debt

Posted by cfchevygirl 
Single Moo of 3 Dies, Leaves Parents with Kyds + 200k in Debt
July 29, 2014
Single moos, the gift that keeps on giving.

Apparently, she died 5 years ago at age 27, with 3 kyds, the oldest now 14; meaning she first got knocked up at 17, birfing at 18.

A Californian pastor is being mercilessly hounded for $200,000 in student loans he was saddled with when his 27-year-old daughter Lisa died suddenly of liver failure.

Crippled by the $2,000 a month in repayments and unable legally to declare bankruptcy to rid himself of the huge debt, Steve Mason, 59, and his wife Darnelle have reached their wits end.

Each time they have appealed to the lenders to beg for help, the couple have been told that the only solution is to repay the mammoth loans - some of which have interest rates of 12 percent - in full.

Making the situation dramatically worse is the fact that the couple are now the guardians of daughter Lisa's three children, ages nine, 12 and 14, leaving their futures in the balance.

Before her death, Lisa Mason had taken out $100,000 in private student loans to fund her education at nursing school and crucially, Steve had co-signed on them.

In the five years since her tragic passing, Steve and Darnelle's inability to keep up with the payments has seen the sum owed double to $200,000 because of the high interest rates and late-fee penalties.

I'm having trouble with the idea that moo needed to take out $100,000 in loans for nursing school. Is it even remotely close to that expensive? Or was moo using the loans to pay for daily living expenses? I didn't see anything in the story that suggested that she was working to support herself/kyds while going to school.

Also, wtf get private loans at exorbitant rates? Not getting that either.

And then, isn't it rather rare for a 27-year-old to suddenly die of liver failure? The article doesn't mention any kind of disease or anything.

Anyways, sucks to be the parents saddled with her ridiculous debt, but, they screwed themselves in cosigning in the first place.

Link
Re: Single Moo of 3 Dies, Leaves Parents with Kyds + 200k in Debt
July 29, 2014
cfchevygirl
And then, isn't it rather rare for a 27-year-old to suddenly die of liver failure? The article doesn't mention any kind of disease or anything.

Anyways, sucks to be the parents saddled with her ridiculous debt, but, they screwed themselves in cosigning in the first place.

Link

Moo could have had a genetically fragile liver to begin with. An existence of constant partying could have pushed that poor thing over the edge.

+++++++++++++

Passive Aggressive
Master Of Anti-brat
Excuses!
July 29, 2014
It may have been a shady nursing school. There are all kinds of for-profit entities masquerading as schools that have inflated tuition and exaggerated job-placement rates. They have special financing with private banks, so they are exempt from Federal Student Loan regulation. And these debts are not discharged by bankruptcy, and you have a recipe for financial disaster.

Dud should have known what he was signing and co-signing means you are liable. But it looks like a predatory loan too.
July 29, 2014
I did not even rack up that much working on advanced degrees. She was using the loans to pay for a lifestyle she could not afford or a school she could not afford. Community colleges are not 25K a year, even in Cali. It doesn't even sound like she finished school...so where did all this money go?

Sudden liver failure in a young person? Sounds like a hard partying lifestyle to me...my friend's wife literally drank herself to death. She killed her own liver, was lucky enough to get a transplant then killed the transplanted one.

Private loans can be discharged in bankruptcy but thanks to a change in 2005, it is VERY difficult. It still can be done, but they don't appear to be broke enough. They make over 100K, which I know is not that much out there. A little Google Fu shows they live in a 5 br home estimated to be worth twice what their little party girl ran up for them.

I did note that one company knocked 8000 dollars off, and lowered interest to zero.

Very sad for them, but he was screwed when he cosigned on her...no way she would have been able to pay it back even if she lived. Anyone who cosigns should get a life insurance policy to cover the debt just in case.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
From a bottle cap message on a Magic Hat #9 beer: Condoms Prevent Minivans
I want to pick up a bus full of unruly kids and feed them gummi bears and crack, then turn them loose in Hobby Lobby to ransack the place. They will all be wearing T shirts that say "You Could Have Prevented This."
July 29, 2014
$100,000 for nursing? With three kids?

An ADN is approximately six to eight grand and you come out with your RN. Most health care companies now offer a tuition reimbursement for then pursuing BSN and MSN if you want.

Something is rotten in CA.

http://www.abqjournal.com/39125/news/doc-faces-two-more-pain-pill-complaints.html

Very sad that he lost his daughter, but I feel like this wouldn't have been nearly as bad with a little better planning. $100k for nursing school? Could she not pay any of it off due to lack of income? Did lifestyle choices contribute to her early death?

If you're even remotely responsible, even if you're young and healthy, you plan for these things when you start spawning so your other family members don't have to pick up the slack. If you absolutely can't do that, no kyds for you.

This reminds me of a girl who was in my class in high school. She had a brother who was 2 years younger and a sister who was quite a bit younger. Their dad died in some weird hot tub accident when we were sophomores and the mom died of a ruptured spleen (or something similar that she would have survived if she had better access to a hospital) in the Dominican Republic on spring break right before we graduated. They had no arrangements, nothing set aside to support the kyds, who had to move in with their aunt and uncle and solicit donations from the community. The parents seemed like nice enough people but not planning ahead like that is really unfair to everyone involved if you ask me.
I deal with alot of nursing programs, where the hell was this chick going to amass that kind of debt for nursing school????

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Shrieking babbies are the most effective birth control on earth.
July 29, 2014
Dingo8YourBaby
I deal with alot of nursing programs, where the hell was this chick going to amass that kind of debt for nursing school????

Remember Marjorie Dillon?

From a bottle cap message on a Magic Hat #9 beer: Condoms Prevent Minivans
I want to pick up a bus full of unruly kids and feed them gummi bears and crack, then turn them loose in Hobby Lobby to ransack the place. They will all be wearing T shirts that say "You Could Have Prevented This."
Damn, I feel better about my life!
July 29, 2014
My cousin is a fucking anesthesiologist and his student loans were no where NEAR 200k! I am betting this is one of the perpetual "nursing school" single moos who signed up for all those expensive and non accredited online "universities" and "went to school" for 7 or 8 years, while the best she could hope for would be a certificate when she finished worth about $8.25 an hour.eye rolling smiley Also, any parent who doesn't have life insurance is irresponsible. $300k worth of life insurance can be had at her age for about $60 a month or less. Had she even had a small amount like that her loans could have been paid off with 200k left over which would at LEAST would have helped defray her parent's cost of kid care. thumbs updown

------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- -------
If YOU are the "exception" to what I am saying, then why does my commentary bother you so much?
I don't hate your kids, I HATE YOU!
July 29, 2014
Could be a for profit college like the one I went to where a bachelor's degree was $100K+, or she took out extra loans to cover everything - tuition, room and board, books, groceries, booze, etc. I'm surprised she couldn't get any grants or scholarships for being a single Moo, or a Moo at all. A lot of places are all ready to fall all over themselves trying to help out a Moo who wants to go to college.

I always thought that student debt was discharged in the event of the borrower's death, but maybe that only applies to federal loans. Private lenders are assholes in every sense of the word, so if this girl took out thousands upon thousands in private loans, that could be the problem.

The family has a snowball's chance in hell of getting the debt forgiven via bankruptcy, especially with their six figure income. But that's what happens when you co-sign loans. When the grad stops making payments for ANY reason, it's the cosigner whose ass is on the line to pick up the slack.

I'd say to just quit paying the damn things. Even if wages are garnished, I think lenders can only take 15 percent of the borrower's (or in this case, cosigners') income. Private lenders also are generally too lazy to drag people to court over defaulted loans because it would cost them money to do so, and they're not interested in losing money on what could be a lost cause anyway. And private lenders are non-negotiable because they simply don't care what kind of a financial situation you're in, as long as they get their money. And yup, those interest rates suck balls, but the average college student doesn't actually know anything about loan interest and a lot of financial advisers on campus don't explain anything to them either. The result is an ignorant student who doesn't know what they're getting themselves into.

I'm sure the family didn't expect their daughter to shit the bed at 27, but they're still cosigners and still have to pony up. I'm guessing the daughter didn't want to go to college and just went to shut her parents up, then proceeded to do nothing but party, which likely ruined her liver. I also wonder if the debt is all from the same college or if she flunked out or dropped out of one nursing program and went to another one a few times.
Where are the children's father(s) in all this? The other set of grandparents?
July 29, 2014
Pastor daddy should have the doctor put her on the pill, right after her first period. He might still be liable for the loans, but he would not have three extra kids to raise.
July 29, 2014
If you read the comments on the article it says that she had a massive probem with prescription painkillers, hence the liver failure. It didn't happen just like that although she might've had a liver problem to begin with, who knows!
College is all well and good, but it depends what you're going to do and how much tuition fees are-$100,000 (turns out the other $100,000 were accrued in interest) for a nursing diploma is ridiculous.
And it says that she died aged 27, so how on earth did she get to birf 3!!!!! kyds! 3 kyds!!!!! At 27!!!! :drool

And where is/are the father(s)? There is no mention of any sperm donor anywhere!
July 29, 2014
Okay, good, I just knew that 100k had to be WAY out of bounds as to what this chick was going to school for. That's why my first thought was that she took out ginormous loans in order to also provide for her living expenses and whatnot. The fact that there was never any mention of her having had a job pretty much bolstered that thought for me. No doubt that moo thought she couldn't bother to have a job while going to school and having 3 kyds, so it makes sense she would borrow for that.

Agreed that the idiot should have had life insurance.
Yeah, there are plenty of nursing programs and certifications that don't cost anywhere near that much. That is INSANE. Here in Cali, the ones I've see are 50k on average and that is for a BSN, not LVN or RN.

My dad told me never, ever, ever sign anything if you don't know what the hell you are signing. People need to think about what they are getting in to, even if it's for education. No point in dropping a wad of money if you aren't damn sure you can get a job, even if you can manage to find one in the career you actually wanted in this shitty economy.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Shrieking babbies are the most effective birth control on earth.
July 29, 2014
As a broad rule, student loans are discharged upon the borrower's death, except if the loan has a cosigner. Then the cosigner is fair game. Actually, the same thing happens for any cosigned loan. Borrower kicks off, then even with insurance to pay off the loan, the cosigner is still on the hook.

Discharging federal student loan debt via bankruptcy began to become progressively harder in the late 1970s. The rationale is that the learning is supposed to provide a lifelong benefit with higher income and better jobs, and the lender cannot revoke or take back the degree (if one was earned). The private student loans were officially added in the 2005 bankruptcy legislation, as Navi8orgirl mentioned, but in practice discharging even these had been difficult even before that change.

What is called the Brunner test for "undue hardship", after a famous 1987 court case, is normally the standard for determining whether student loans can be discharged in bankruptcy. As a rule, the test is virtually impossible to meet as most courts apply it—you would have to be permanently and totally disabled to qualify for relief, as in being a quadriplegic on a respirator or something just about as extreme.

So this single moo's parents are screwed until they pay it or they die.

Have to add that every single example of cosigning a loan of which I am aware has ended badly for the cosigner. Every single example. And this is just one more. In most cases it's a parent cosigning for an idiot kid who turns out to be too irresponsible to repay the loan. A side note is that most legitimate student loans do not seek a parent's cosignature, so I smell a rat with this one anyway. It probably really was a predatory loan. Small comfort now.

Finally, any investment adviser will tell you that someone who needs a cosigner is someone who has no business borrowing in the first place.
July 29, 2014
I had my boyfriend co-sign a loan for me once, and I made damn sure every penny was paid off on time. I think this had a positive impact on both of our credit scores. Also, I didn't shit out brats, so I could pay back the loan without any trouble.

That being said, I also agree that the amount of money she borrowed was probably more for her lifestyle / living expenses, as well as her schooling. She had a pill habit, so probably a lot of money went towards that.

Now her breeduh parunts are on the hook for it. Too bad, so sad. I am sorry that their daughter died, but anything can happen when a person co-signs a loan, and it is a very risky venture for anyone to do that.

Now, not only do they have to pay the loan back, but their credit will be in the shitter and they have their grandbrats to raise. The misery of breeduhs never ceases to intrigue me.

I'll pray for them. bouncing and laughing
July 29, 2014
stillwaters
Damn, I feel better about my life!

Me too! smiling smiley

In fact - I'm thinking of 'scaling back'. I'm getting sick of 'the rat race'. I have little debt, I try to pay cash for everything, and I'm cheap. I might even be able to go to part time work in a few years.

And of course WE don't have THE WORST debt load of all: Kids.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

grinning smiley
July 29, 2014
I wonder if they can't pay either, if the debt will then get passed onto the kids after the grandparents die?
July 29, 2014
Hmmm...looks like we have a troll.

huskerhater
have you ever considered doing a google search about her and her death??? she was on medication that was overprescribed by her doctor (the doctor was involved in several wrongful death suits/complaints) - http://www.abqjournal.com/39125/news/doc-faces-two-more-pain-pill-complaints.html

do you have nothing better to do than to put down others? get your facts straight before you judge
July 29, 2014
Dingo8YourBaby
Yeah, there are plenty of nursing programs and certifications that don't cost anywhere near that much. That is INSANE. Here in Cali, the ones I've see are 50k on average and that is for a BSN, not LVN or RN..

what many people do not realize is RN is what you need to practice nursing.

2 year ADN = RN eligible on completion.

4 year BSN = RN eligible on completion.

There is no difference for a new grad coming out in license. BSN is usually needed for moving into management positions. MSN is needed for education positions and most advanced practice positions.

ADN or BSN is minimum for entry to practice.

huskerhater
do you have nothing better to do than to put down others? get your facts straight before you judge.

Why are you here defending her? Are you having a refreshing beverage and Googling her name looking for some bikini pics, hoping for a peek of nipple?

--------------------
"[GFG's pregnancy is] kind of like at the stables where that one dumb, ugly-ass mare broke out of her corral one day and got herself screwed by the equally fugly colt that was due to be gelded the same afternoon."- Shiny
July 29, 2014
How did troll end up here anyways? When I Google the moo's name, this site isn't showing up as a hit.
July 29, 2014
huskerhater
twatwaffle omaha CPA wasting client money on the innerwebs have you ever considered doing a google search about her and her death??? she was on medication that was overprescribed by her doctor (the doctor was involved in several wrongful death suits/complaints) - http://www.abqjournal.com/39125/news/doc-faces-two-more-pain-pill-complaints.html

do you have nothing better to do than to put down others? get your facts straight before you judge.
Luzer derp derp derp

the patient comes first.

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/748598_9

And huskerhater? Grow up and join the real world.

Click here to login