Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

toxic babies

Posted by bell_flower 
toxic babies
July 14, 2005
Here is a snip from the article:

Also found were polyaromatic hydrocarbons, or PAHs, which are produced by burning gasoline and garbage and which may cause cancer; []flame-retardant chemicals[] called polybrominated dibenzodioxins and furans; and pesticides including DDT and chlordane.

EMPHASIS MINE.

Gee, I wonder who pushed the demand for FLAME RETARDANT CHEMICALS?

I'd like to bet many of these materials can be traced to a hyper-concern with regard to safety and getting perfect (or convenient) food for Snotleigh and Bratleigh. The big deal about 15 years ago was "flame retardant sleepwear."

If you are concerned about Bratleigh falling asleep and catching fire in a house fire, most people are not killed by fire; they are killed by SMOKE. Much of this can be avoided by using a SMOKE DETECTOR with working batteries, not inventing more exotic chemicals so we can further poison ourselves.
anoon
Re: toxic babies
July 14, 2005
What a scary article! But what pisses me off is that there is only concern about because of the chylderriiinne. Yeah, I know that they are more vulnerable to being developmentally harmed, but geesh! It is just as worrisome for adults.

And what the hell is with flame retardant clothing? The shit still gets hot and melts onto you. I would rather it burn off than melt onto me. IT isn't flame PROOF. BUt yeah, belle, good points about who has probably been demanding this stuff.
the professor
July 15, 2005
oh boy, this one again, the article that last mentioned (known article) was on the bbc news in june, cheese can give cancer to mice and rats,

i quote http://tinyurl.com/eypkx

3 June 2005
Chemical generations

Panic: 'Toxins may pass down generations', says BBC News, reporting on research from Washington State University. Pregnant rats were exposed to two agricultural chemicals during the period of gestation where sex is determined. Where male rats were born, they had low sperm counts and poor fertility. However, where it was possible for these rats to mate with female rats who were not exposed to the chemicals, the offspring were again affected by the same fertility problems. This pattern was repeated in a total of four generations. The researchers believe there could be a link between this process and the rising rates of breast and prostate cancer in humans.

Don't panic: It is always wise to take research findings found only in animals as preliminary. In this case, the old adage 'the dose makes the poison' seems to apply. As Professor Alan Boobis told BBC News, 'This effect is likely to be concentration dependent, and these animals were exposed to very high levels of chemicals. We need to find out whether this trans-generational effect is translated to much lower doses.'

What this particular alarm illustrates is the fascination with finding something hazardous about artificial chemicals. In fact, there are plenty of chemicals ordinarily produced naturally which mimic reproductive hormones. Fruit and soya, for example, can increase exposure to oestogen mimics. As Bruce Ames and Lois Swirsky Gold demonstrate elsewhere on spiked, 'Human exposure to naturally occurring rodent carcinogens is ubiquitous and dwarfs the exposure of the general public to synthetic rodent carcinogens.' In other words, most of the hazardous chemicals we encounter are natural, not man-made. Yet such effects tend to be ignored because of the widely-held prejudice that man-made is bad, but natural is good.

The existence of these natural nasties is entirely logical - plants produce them to protect themselves from pests and predators. For the most part, they're harmless in the small quantities we are exposed to - but we still face much higher levels of exposure to these substances than to the artificial chemicals that get such a bad press.

Publicising research like this new study on rats can only alarm people unnecessarily. The only thing that's being polluted here is the public's attitude to very useful, man-made substances.
mercurior1
July 15, 2005
well how about this substance, http://www.dhmo.org/facts.html

Dihydrogen Monoxide (DHMO) is a colorless and odorless chemical compound, also referred to by some as Dihydrogen Oxide, Hydrogen Hydroxide, Hydronium Hydroxide, or simply Hydric acid. Its basis is the unstable radical Hydroxide, the components of which are found in a number of caustic, explosive and poisonous compounds such as Sulfuric Acid, Nitroglycerine and Ethyl Alcohol

Some of the known perils of Dihydrogen Monoxide are: Death due to accidental inhalation of DHMO, even in small quantities.
Prolonged exposure to solid DHMO causes severe tissue damage.
Excessive ingestion produces a number of unpleasant though not typically life-threatening side-effects.
DHMO is a major component of acid rain.
Gaseous DHMO can cause severe burns.
Contributes to soil erosion.
Leads to corrosion and oxidation of many metals.
Contamination of electrical systems often causes short-circuits.
Exposure decreases effectiveness of automobile brakes.
Found in biopsies of pre-cancerous tumors and lesions.
Often associated with killer cyclones in the U.S. Midwest and elsewhere.
Thermal variations in DHMO are a suspected contributor to the El Nino weather effect.

and if you didnt know DHMO is water.. its easy to shock people by accurate facts, its how those facts are said.. i have had some friends want to ban DHMO, even some politicians wanted to ban it.. but kids are toxic, they smells, and noise, they produce the worst pollution

http://www.snopes.com/toxins/dhmo.htm

In March 2004 the California municipality of Aliso Viejo (a suburb in Orange County) came within a cat's whisker of falling for this hoax after a paralegal there convinced city officials of the danger posed by this chemical. The leg-pull got so far as a vote having been scheduled for the City Council on a proposed law that would have banned the use of foam containers at city-sponsored events because (among other things) they were made with DHMO, a substance that could "threaten human health and safety
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.