Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Pregnancy is a war in the womb

Posted by Anonymous User 
Anonymous User
Pregnancy is a war in the womb
August 17, 2014
When I was looking around if my favourite podcast show has updated, I found this article on their page and thought I would share here.

War in the womb

This fact sits uncomfortably with some enduring cultural ideas about motherhood. Even today, it is common to hear doctors talking about the uterine lining as the ‘optimal environment’ for nurturing the embryo. But physiology has long cast doubt on this romantic view.
The cells of the human endometrium are tightly aligned, creating a fortress-like wall around the inside of the uterus. That barrier is packed with lethal immune cells. As far back as 1903, researchers observed embryos ‘invading’ and ‘digesting’ their way into the uterine lining. In 1914, R W Johnstone described the implantation zone as ‘the fighting line where the conflict between the maternal cells and the invading trophoderm takes place’. It was a battlefield ‘strewn with... the dead on both sides’.

When scientists tried to gestate mice outside the womb, they expected the embryos to wither, deprived of the surface that had evolved to nurture them. To their shock they found instead that – implanted in the brain, testis or eye of a mouse – the embryo went wild. Placental cells rampaged through surrounding tissues, slaughtering everything in their path as they hunted for arteries to sate their thirst for nutrients. It's no accident that many of the same genes active in embryonic development have been implicated in cancer. Pregnancy is a lot more like war than we might care to admit.

This goes to show what we always knew: that embryos are parasites.

The article also goes on to explain that the mother-to-be tries to not give away too much of her ressources, but the dad's genes cause the embryo to go haywire and try to take as much as they can. Other animals do not have this problem, since they breed only once (like some spiders that die for their offspring) and with one male only.

This just goes to show why I want to avoid the shit that is pregnancy.
Re: Pregnancy is a war in the womb
August 17, 2014
So a loaf really is a form of cancer? Good to know.

I could see myself, "hey doc get this cancerous tumor out of me now!".
August 17, 2014
If Taco Bell gives me a War in the Guts -

Ima take a pass on shoving out a crotch burrito.
August 18, 2014
I already knew pregnancy was creepy when I read about the fetal cells invading the mother's brain permanently. Parasite-infested zombies...
August 18, 2014
Gosh that's sooo freaky! openmouthed shock

I knew it was bad, but I never knew it was that bad. How disgusting to have foreign cells live on in your body, especially when they're up to some weird stuff over the course of your life.
Another interesting fact is that wikipedia has this to say about microchimerism (the existence of foreign cells in one's body):

Moreover, fetal immune cells have also been frequently found in breast cancer stroma as compared to samples taken from healthy women. It is not clear, however, whether fetal cell lines promote the development of tumors or, contrarily, protect women from developing breast carcinoma.

Of course wikipedia is not some scientific authority, but their science entries are generally quite informative and balanced. It's interesting to note that the breast cancer link has been brought up because everywhere else it says that not shitting out a loaf is a sure path to breast cancer. I suppose that more people than care to admit know the truth but need to toe natalism's line by saying that loafing is good for you. Can you imagine what would happen if word got out that sprogging gives you cancer?
August 18, 2014
rockchick
Can you imagine what would happen if word got out that sprogging gives you cancer?

"Cancer during pregnancy is uncommon, occurring in approximately one out of every 1,000 pregnancies." (my emphasis, original source)

Okay, so a .1% chance is slim, compared to your chances of getting a prolapsed utereus, I expect (did not look up the statistics), but that's still yet another risk nobody mentions.
August 18, 2014
mistress rotwang
So a loaf really is a form of cancer? Good to know.

I'm a developmental biologist and in this field plenty of people come in from previous jobs in cancer research, or go on to work in cancer research. After all, cancer is just development gone wrong, and the two things involve the same processes, which is why the transplantation of embryonic stem cells can cause cancer. Yep, perhaps early-stage embryos really are just little balls of cancer...

I had a discussion about this at work after reading this article where commenters called out the writer for daring to refer to a little mirakul as a "parasite" and sggested that sprogs are more like symbionts- we agreed that the definition of parasite fits because a foetus takes from the "host" and gives nothing back- and "looking after you when you're old" doesn't really count here winking smiley

If you want to see something really freaky try reading about teratomas- but don't do a Google image search until long after you've eaten :hs Also don't read this if you don't want to know how even a committed CF person, even if they're a man, can end up with a foetus growing inside them...
August 18, 2014
It is a good article, but it exagerates the rate of complication in humans VS other mammals. As everybody who has to do with animals a lot know, pregnancy can and does kill animals as well as humans. The rate is more or less the same.

Birth is indeed more dangerous for humans than for animals, due to our pelvis size.

It’s also why primates make every effort to test their embryos before they allow them to implant. The embryo is walled out by the tight-packed cells of the endometrium, while an intimate hormonal dialogue takes place. This conversation is, in Haig’s words, a ‘job interview’. Should the embryo fail to convince its mother that it is a perfectly normal, healthy individual, it will be summarily expelled.

The Uterus of many pro-liar is SMARTER THAN THEIR BRAINS.

This is the living instantiation of Haig’s tug-of-war between maternal and paternal genomes.

Uhm... I don't see any paternal/maternal genome point here. Just the usual old tale about competition for resource between two organisms.

It is a very good article indeed, but it rather ovestate itself. Which is common mind you. We have not discover the cause of eclampsia as yet.

Also it completely ignores that humans are the only animal, as far as we know, that can cause abortion more or less at will, and has done so for as long as we know. A woman who has a troublesome pregnancy in ancient times would simply drink the right tea or use some kind of surgical procedure. Abortion had always been very common. Even very ancient society (like aborigen people of Australia) practice it. Common enough for it to have had a ripercussion in genetic, methinks.

“I was talking about children that have not been properly house-trained. Left to their own impulses and indulged by doting or careless parents almost all children are yahoos. Loud, selfish, cruel, unaffectionate, jealous, perpetually striving for attention, empty-headed, for ever prating or if words fail them simply bawling, their voices grown huge from daily practice: the very worst company in the world. But what I dislike even more than the natural child is the affected child, the hulking oaf of seven or eight that skips heavily about with her hands dangling in front of her -- a little squirrel or bunny-rabbit -- and prattling away in a baby's voice.”

― Patrick O'Brian, The Truelove

lib'-er-ty: the freedom given to you to make the wrong decision, based on the reasoned belief that you will normally make the right one.
August 18, 2014
Oh lord this the creepiest shit I've ever read. Time to go think happy thoughts.
August 18, 2014
yurble
I already knew pregnancy was creepy when I read about the fetal cells invading the mother's brain permanently. Parasite-infested zombies...

Pods Open

+++++++++++++

Passive Aggressive
Master Of Anti-brat
Excuses!
August 18, 2014
I know I say this all the time, but there's no need to worry about the afterlife, because we're living in Hell.

--------------------
"[GFG's pregnancy is] kind of like at the stables where that one dumb, ugly-ass mare broke out of her corral one day and got herself screwed by the equally fugly colt that was due to be gelded the same afternoon."- Shiny
August 18, 2014
Miss_Hannigan
I know I say this all the time, but there's no need to worry about the afterlife, because we're living in Hell.

Word.

~~~~~~~~~~~
I miss my little feather baby.
August 19, 2014
Amen and pass the marshmallows!

+++++++++++++

Passive Aggressive
Master Of Anti-brat
Excuses!
August 19, 2014

To their shock they found instead that – implanted in the brain, testis or eye of a mouse – the embryo went wild. Placental cells rampaged through surrounding tissues, slaughtering everything in their path as they hunted for arteries to sate their thirst for nutrients.

I feel terrible for these mice. sad smiley
August 19, 2014
Multiplies like a cancer?

Not even the mold in my basement does that! 0_oo

And you throw some bleach water on it - and it's gone!

Slicing up a few raw mushrooms in a salad is about as close as I can get to any of this crazy scary weirdness!

Overtaking my guts and whole body?

Noooo!!!!!

It's the stuff of nightmares ~

:goggle
August 21, 2014
screaming sausage
mistress rotwang

If you want to see something really freaky try reading about teratomas- but don't do a Google image search until long after you've eaten :hs

My gf had a 21 cm teratoma (complete with hair and teeth) removed along with her right ovary a couple years ago. The symptoms were BIZARRE and included mood-related symptoms suggestive of pignancy, but also identical to ovarian cancer. Didn't know until it was biopsied whether it was cancerous or not. We were stunned/sickened when the full report came back. :hs

Pure nightmare fuel.
August 22, 2014
Teratoma switch plate, the perfect gift for your favorite deviant.

(Not safe for work, or really any place)

--------------------
"[GFG's pregnancy is] kind of like at the stables where that one dumb, ugly-ass mare broke out of her corral one day and got herself screwed by the equally fugly colt that was due to be gelded the same afternoon."- Shiny
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login