Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

F* you Prudie, this isn't a Diane Keaton movie

Posted by Dorisan 
Re: F* you Prudie, this isn't a Diane Keaton movie
August 29, 2014
You know, I do not understand why, if a woman insists on being a single mother past the age of 30 or so, she does not have some plan in place for the care of the loaf if something should happen to her. My ex-girlfriend had a loaf (well, a kyd) and she also had no plan in place should something happen to her (she was 33 when she had him). Anything can happen to us at any time and it does not make sense to be without a plan, especially if a dependent child is involved.

I agree that the CF sister does not owe it to the childed sister to take the kyd in. She didn't have the kyd; the dying sister did. Plus all the IVF may well have contributed to her breast cancer, which shows how idiotic IVF is in an older woman. CF sister should not be the one to be a part of paying for that particular bit of stupidity.
Re: F* you Prudie, this isn't a Diane Keaton movie
September 23, 2014
UPDATE: turns out that the letter was ghosted by another person, who didn't seem to realize (or did they?) how off-putting their description of the designated replacement mom was.

It turns out that the resources available to the dying mother had already begun stepping up, as well.

Q. Update From Not a Mother: I wrote a letter on behalf of a friend who was traumatized by the thought that she might have to assume care of her dying sister’s young child. She is a nicer person than the letter makes her appear! I would like to thank everyone who responded. I have forwarded Prudie’s sound advice and all of the responses to my friend, who plans to visit her sister soon. What we should have anticipated is that her sister’s health care team, who are of course familiar with her situation, have hooked her up with social service agencies and others who are making efforts to ensure the best possible outcome for the child. At the moment the mother is thinking that keeping her in familiar surroundings might be best, but no final decision has been made. Please keep them in your thoughts and prayers.

A: Thanks for this update. This was the recent letter from the single, New York woman in her 50s, whose single, Midwestern sister was dying of cancer. The dying sister wanted the letter writer to adopt her toddler child, which the letter writer had no intention of doing. I got several requests from families to be put in touch with the letter writer because they wanted to be considered as potential parents, which I forwarded. The letter writer explained to me that she was not herself the reluctant aunt, but a friend who had written the letter at the aunt’s request. I’m glad to hear the requests were passed on. And out of a terrible situation it’s good news indeed to know that this time social services are aware, have stepped up, and are carefully looking out for the interests of the child.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login