Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Dear Prudie...Been Reading Here?

Posted by jezebel_daisy 
Dear Prudie...Been Reading Here?
September 12, 2014
This little gem makes me wonder if she has been reading here winking smiley

The column itself is gag worthy but it's nice to know that she has been taken to task for her BS advice and her breeder worship.

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/hey_wait_a_minute/2006/06/my_mommy_war.html
Re: Dear Prudie...Been Reading Here?
September 12, 2014
jezebel_daisy
This little gem makes me wonder if she has been reading here winking smiley

The column itself is gag worthy but it's nice to know that she has been taken to task for her BS advice and her breeder worship.

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/hey_wait_a_minute/2006/06/my_mommy_war.html

But Prudie, children ARE a tantrum wrapped in a diaper.

+++++++++++++

Passive Aggressive
Master Of Anti-brat
Excuses!
September 12, 2014
If children are such "fun", why are there so many unwanted children in foster care and children's homes? Why do unwanted babies get adopted and older unwanted children get left in care until they age out of the system? By her reasoning, the older kids should be adopted first because they're past the diaper/whining stage and now in the "fun" stage.
September 12, 2014
Her article was at best a passive aggressive slam on the childfree. It was two pages of the "I was just like you" bingo.

I've had other experiences than this, which I chose, what of it?

It's not about YOUR LIFESTYLE - it's about WHY you always feel the need to BINGO us about it! smile rolling left righteyes2

Things I've experienced, just because I was thinking about 'work things' - I've seen things most others will never see. I've been in All Types Power Plants and various other industrial operations. Ever stand next to a turbine? Your entire body vibrates. Like down to the molecules. Many would find this highly unpleasant. I find these obscure things interesting. I put many years into ed. and work involving these things. I am interested in how things work.

It is just a different experience. As would be anything else. Sky diving. Being Amish. Studying ancient hieroglyphs.

Some people are interested in different things. SO?

Do WE go around BINGOING YOU?

Look. I just want to say, I'm not trying to tell you what to do or anything, but now that you've found happiness with your HS Graduation - you really might want to *just consider* spending the next 7-10 years of your life studying Math, Physics, and Engineering, because - getting into that turbine hall is just an experience like no other! And - later on your hosts might take you out to lunch at Olive Garden! Unlimited breadsticks!

Do I need to start talking about my LOVE of cars?

How would you like a long discourse on THAT?

And then I'll BINGO you about THAT! too! How bout it?

Yeah, you'll thank me for shutting up, eh? I know you will because I 'police myself' on rambling on about topics others may not care about.

Your Welcome.

Prudie should check herself likewise.

And YES she BINGOS on top of it. Which is, IMO, what's most offensive. Blather on all ya like - tell others what to do? That's the thing. smile rolling left righteyes2

They really just "don't get it" - do they?
September 12, 2014
I just thought to add also -

Now I do Boring Biz Work. The $ is better, it's pretty boring. And yet aggravating - at the same time! YAY!

Pretty sure those Exciting Careers! Only exist in Fantasy Land. Or, there's like maybe 5 and those jobs are taken.

It's presently 11.45 pm local time, Fri. Am I out "partying it up"? Uh - NO.

Would I swap this for Kids and Burbia? HELL NO!

If I could find a decent cult - I might join that. Or go live as a hermit. Or - who knows? Possibilities are endless.

Just not interested in the "Family Lifestyle".

So?

I don't get why this bends so many people out of shape. And why they feel they need to 'convert' us?
September 13, 2014
Hmmm...article was written in 2006. Interesting.

It's interesting that she says she was in her 30's and seemed content with her childfree status. I would have thought she'd have gotten a few bingos. In any case the article is just a big "You'll change your mind" piece with a dash of "People like you SHOULD be having kids" thrown in.

Scorn for parenthood? You've got to be joking, right? waving hellolarious It's scorn of CF. Breeders and wannabreeders have most the support and validation of society, whereas the Childfree face scorn and ridicule :headbrick

She sold out her CFness(if she ever was CF) for her husband.
September 13, 2014
We covered this one before:

1. Prudie, I know you fell into line when your man demanded you breed or break up, but a true CF person would do what I did. I kicked two guys to the curb and broke one engagement and one marriage due to the kid issue. So don't tell us you were once like us because you aren't.

2. Most important, an advice columnist is supposed to LISTEN and give advice. The letter writer DID NOT ASK for a review of her already-decided CF status--she asked how to handle nosy relatives and probing questions. But Prudie, like any good sanctimonious cow who can't udder (sic) a word without checking with her uterus first, couldn't let that pass by.

It's why I'm glad Bratfree exists. We are full of good advice from people who have been there and dealt with bingoes and families.

thom
Her article was at best a passive aggressive slam on the childfree. It was two pages of the "I was just like you" bingo.

Yep, nothing new to report here.
September 13, 2014
You know, it's funny how other people in other situations don't 'convert' all that well. Or - it doesn't automatically lead to BLISS.

As example - I'm getting mighty sick of this place, especially the congestion, and sometimes muse on moving to a "rural area".

But. There's a whole host of problems that come with *that*. Much more 'outside work'. I'd have to get a different vehicle. The weather is different. Utilities are different and fail in different ways. Hell - you go W from here by the MS river, A/C from IA - this one town I looked at doesn't even have DSL net. Let alone fiber optic. I saw in another area 'around there' - a house for sale - one of the selling points listed was that it was on the route of the local HS's Homecoming Day parade.

Eeeeeesh. I'm not sure I could function in such a place. Sure, it would be less congested - but would I be singing all kinds of praises and claiming I fell in love with it?

Probably not. Knowing myself - I'd be griping about all the work and inconveniences.

I know myself. I try to think things over carefully. This is wrong - why?

smile rolling left righteyes2
September 14, 2014
Zzelda

Do I need to start talking about my LOVE of cars?

Well, yes!

drinking coffee
September 14, 2014
Well, Prudie wrote that eight years ago. I wonder if her now-eighteen-year-old daughter is still a joy, and if her husband is still happy in the marriage. My guess is that at least one of the two has changed for the worse.

--------------------
"[GFG's pregnancy is] kind of like at the stables where that one dumb, ugly-ass mare broke out of her corral one day and got herself screwed by the equally fugly colt that was due to be gelded the same afternoon."- Shiny
September 14, 2014
Miss_Hannigan
Well, Prudie wrote that eight years ago. I wonder if her now-eighteen-year-old daughter is still a joy, and if her husband is still happy in the marriage. My guess is that at least one of the two has changed for the worse.

I would LOVE to hear this story. I find that the people who try to talk you into kids the most are those who

1.) the type of people who truly love having kids and just want you to experience what they experienced. These are the rare and well-meaning but largely ignorant types who think that parenthood is a cookie cutter, one size fits all experience.

2.) are super religious and feel that it is your duty to breed, regardless of the consequences or circumstances. DO NOT ENGAGE, LEST FAITH IN HUMANITY DECREASE. May also blend with third type.

3.) the type who hate every waking moment of their kids being near them and absolutely hate the fact that you possessed the secret knowledge to have done something different. Their jealousy and dismay bleeds forth like a profane ichor, staining the goodwill of those around them. They make it their life's mission to bully and bait the childfree into ruining their existence the same way they did. This is where the more wretched bingo of "selfishness" is germinated. May blend with type 2.
September 15, 2014
Dear Prudie,

We're pissed because we're sick of people--especially other women--second-guessing our ability to make our own reproductive choices. You don't know anyone's circumstances or why they choose not to sprog. They could be psychopaths or pedophiles for all you know. Or maybe you just don't care if the parent would be miserable and the child abused/neglected? So long as everyone chooses the same life path as you, that's all that matters.

You're probably the same type who complains about oversized classes, shitty healthcare, social welfare programs, high crime rates and other social ills made worse by irresponsible reproduction. Keep telling CF women to reconsider and you'll keep getting hatemail.
September 16, 2014
I just want to say I'm in awe of this sentence:

catharsist
Their jealousy and dismay bleeds forth like a profane ichor, staining the goodwill of those around them.

bowing

I feel like if her husband ever gave her a breed or get out ultimatum, it feels like he didn't think she herself was worth it, as if he didn't love her enough for her to be enough for him. He valued kyds who didn't exist yet over the woman in front of him. That would make me feel like a brood mare up for auction, and along comes a horse breeder who's only looking to find a fertile mare with the right traits to pass along in breeding, as opposed to valuing me as a mate and putting that relationship first. JMO.
September 16, 2014
night owl
I just want to say I'm in awe of this sentence:

catharsist
Their jealousy and dismay bleeds forth like a profane ichor, staining the goodwill of those around them.

bowing

I feel like if her husband ever gave her a breed or get out ultimatum, it feels like he didn't think she herself was worth it, as if he didn't love her enough for her to be enough for him. He valued kyds who didn't exist yet over the woman in front of him. That would make me feel like a brood mare up for auction, and along comes a horse breeder who's only looking to find a fertile mare with the right traits to pass along in breeding, as opposed to valuing me as a mate and putting that relationship first. JMO.

Thanks, I like to write.. blushing

And THISx100000000

How horrible is this? To have a NOTHING chosen over a living, breathing person? He obviously didn't know what love was until he had a child. Typical ego-handjob we've come to expect from this type. All parent/child love is narcissism. That's it. He loved himself more than he loved her, so much so, that the only way to keep him was to shit out another HIM. Case closed.
September 16, 2014

He valued kyds who didn't exist yet over the woman in front of him.

When I hear about couples breaking up or almost breaking up over the "stress of infertility" i think this is what's going on. Women signed up for conditional love: they breed and they can stay married. Glad my husband married me for me alone.

Kind of makes you wonder what would have happened if Emily had been infertile. He probably would have kicked her to the curb.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login