Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

25 Famous Women on Childlessness

Posted by Dorisan 
September 15, 2014
LINK

Didn't use 'childfree' but some of the comments are ambiguous. A few comments made me mad. I don't know who the f* Elizabeth Gilbert is, but she sounds like a breeder pleaser

"I have come to believe there are three sorts of women, when it comes to questions of maternity. There are women who are born to be mothers, women who are born to be aunties, and women who should not be allowed within ten feet of a child.

How about a fourth kind of woman, Liz? One who has a complete disinterest? F'ing hell :mad2

And I love Helen Mirren thumbs upwink

It was only boring old men [who would ask me]. And whenever they went, ‘What? No children? Well, you’d better get on with it, old girl,’ I’d say ‘No! F*** off!’”

Dolly Parton is starting to sound like a twee old lady

I grew up in a big old family with eight kids younger than me and several of my brothers and sisters came to live with me early on in my life. I've loved their kids just like they're my grandkids, and now I've got great-grand-kids! ... They call me 'Aunt Granny.' Now I'm GeeGee, which is great-granny. I often think, it just wasn't meant for me to have kids so everybody's kids can be mine.

Overall, it's an article full of honest quotes.
Re: 25 Women on Childlessness
September 15, 2014
Elizabeth Gilbert wrote Eat, Pray Love. .

She's toning it down quite a bit. A few years ago we discussed her books and "the angriest letter" she ever received.

Link is here.
September 15, 2014
I think Dita Von Teese is far too sexy to be having kids. Sorry but that would just be a slap directly to God's face... In my professional opinion.
September 15, 2014
bell_flower

She's toning it down quite a bit. A few years ago we discussed her books and "the angriest letter" she ever received.

Link is here.

Went back to look at that post and was really impressed by what Gilbert's sister - a mom- said.
“Having a baby is like getting a tattoo on your face. You really need to be certain it’s what you want before you commit.”
She may have saved her sister a miserable life with that. If only more parents were so honest.
Anonymous User
September 16, 2014
aliceblue
bell_flower

Link is here.

Went back to look at that post and was really impressed by what Gilbert's sister - a mom- said.
“Having a baby is like getting a tattoo on your face. You really need to be certain it’s what you want before you commit.”
She may have saved her sister a miserable life with that. If only more parents were so honest.

Wow, I was surprised to see an old post of mine on there. I must of totally forgot about it as I never sought out EPL, hahaha, gotta put it back on the list.

As I'm getting older no one is singing the songs of how great breeding is anymore. One of the fertility moos that I probably used to bitch about on here the other day admitted to me , when we were speaking of a pregmoo who already had twins, I actually was being kinder and gentler, saying oh, I dont know why such a young girl would get preg (presumably on purpose) after she just had twins (presumably on fertility) w/ a FT job and then she'll have 3 babies all under the age of 4, taking care of all those, must be hard I said, ....moo blurts out....ITS HORRIBLE (meaning even taking care one at a time). I kept my trap shut but this is the moo who acted like I was an alien not having kids while she was going broke having IVF to have all hers. Such a revelation that you would go broke to participate in something HORRIBLE...and now she had a kid w/ a learning disability and has admitted to me her hub is good for nothing drunk. She knew all that. I kept my mouth shut but as we say, sucks to be moo.drinking coffee
September 18, 2014
Does what it says on the tin- and they're not all CF, bt those who are childless are still happy with their lives:

LINK

My favourites:

Gloria Steinem
"I'm completely happy not having children. I mean, everybody does not have to live in the same way. And as somebody said, 'Everybody with a womb doesn't have to have a child any more than everybody with vocal cords has to be an opera singer."

Elizabeth Gilbert
There are women who are born to be mothers, women who are born to be aunties, and women who should not be allowed within ten feet of a child. It's really important to know which category you belong to ...

Stevie Nicks
"It's like, ‘Do you want to be an artist and a writer, or a wife and a lover?’ With kids, your focus changes. I don't want to go to PTA meetings.”

I'm not sure about Dita von Teese's comment though- that's Marilyn Manson she's referring to with "I was married to someone who was not cut-out to be a father. He could hardly take care of himself, let alone a child", and I always thought Marilyn Manson came across as very intelligent... maybe he's CF too!
Re: 25 Famous Women on Childlessness
September 18, 2014
screaming sausage
Does what it says on the tin- and they're not all CF, bt those who are childless are still happy with their lives:

LINK

My favourites:

Gloria Steinem
"I'm completely happy not having children. I mean, everybody does not have to live in the same way. And as somebody said, 'Everybody with a womb doesn't have to have a child any more than everybody with vocal cords has to be an opera singer."

Elizabeth Gilbert
There are women who are born to be mothers, women who are born to be aunties, and women who should not be allowed within ten feet of a child. It's really important to know which category you belong to ...

Stevie Nicks
"It's like, ‘Do you want to be an artist and a writer, or a wife and a lover?’ With kids, your focus changes. I don't want to go to PTA meetings.”

I'm not sure about Dita von Teese's comment though- that's Marilyn Manson she's referring to with "I was married to someone who was not cut-out to be a father. He could hardly take care of himself, let alone a child", and I always thought Marilyn Manson came across as very intelligent... maybe he's CF too!

Marilyn Manson is EXTREMELY intelligent. I've seen interviews where he is absolutely stunning! Last time I checked he is CF (I read his autobiography, it was awesome). He thought he got a girl pregnant and he was freaking out like "DO NOT WANT!" She wasnt pregnant, so LOL!
September 18, 2014
I'm not a huge fan of his music but I've always loved his interviews, and this is my favourite quote of all, from Bowling For Columbine:

Michael Moore: If you were to talk directly to the kids at Columbine or the people in that community, what would you say to them if they were here right now?
Marilyn Manson: I wouldn't say a single word to them. I would listen to what they have to say, and that's what no one did.

Another CF person who would be better at parenting than most breeders, perhaps!
September 19, 2014
screaming sausage

People can be intelligent and still not very good at doing day-to-day chores.
September 20, 2014
I also read Marilyn Manson's biog and found it highly entertaining. And I loved him in 'Bowling for Columbine', what he said there was spot on.

And then there is this quote of his: “You should have to pass an IQ test before you breed. You have to take a driving test to operate vehicles and an SAT test to get into college. So why dont you have to take some sort of test before you give birth to children? When I am President, thats the first rule I will institute.”

The dude is awesome!
September 20, 2014
rockchick
I also read Marilyn Manson's biog and found it highly entertaining. And I loved him in 'Bowling for Columbine', what he said there was spot on.

And then there is this quote of his: “You should have to pass an IQ test before you breed. You have to take a driving test to operate vehicles and an SAT test to get into college. So why dont you have to take some sort of test before you give birth to children? When I am President, thats the first rule I will institute.”

The dude is awesome!

OMG. I did not know he said that! He is even more awesome than I thought! I need to buy a few things at the record store.
September 20, 2014
16. Is having children on your priority list?
"I'm not going to answer that question. I'm not mad at you for asking that question, but I've said it before: I don't think people ask men those questions.” —Zooey Deschanel

Best answer ever. Thank you
September 22, 2014
catharsist
rockchick

The dude is awesome!

OMG. I did not know he said that! He is even more awesome than I thought! I need to buy a few things at the record store.

Wow. This quote provokes my curiosity. I'll check on youtube first before running to the store, though !
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login