Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Wahhh my adult son doesn't want me telling him how to live his life!

Posted by thundergirl85 
Re: Wahhh my adult son doesn't want me telling him how to live his life!
September 23, 2014
And on the other end of mommy spectrum, you have the moos who cannot wait for their 30 something sons to move out of their basement. I guess there is no middle ground when it comes to mooing. popcorn and jerry springer signjerry
All I can say is I wouldn't be decorating a man's house unless it was also my house. If a man wants drapes and such he can go get them himself. I would refuse to be with a man who was not totally able tl take care of himself. This means setting up his own household, doing his own laundry, paying his own bills etc. I have no doubt moo plays a huge role in this mess but I also dont doubt Baby Boy has nothing to shut it down. All 3 need therapy.
But I got the impression that the guy had moved into the condo with his gf, so they're her drapes too.
I agree that we don't have enough evidence to paint him as a moomy's boy,so we can't lampoon him quite yet.
September 24, 2014
thundergirl85
But I got the impression that the guy had moved into the condo with his gf, so they're her drapes too.
I agree that we don't have enough evidence to paint him as a moomy's boy,so we can't lampoon him quite yet.

I don't think we've yet reached the stage where men are taught to develop an eye for home decor like women are, or are expected to know. If his girlfriend hadn't take a hand in it, I wouldn't be surprised is he assumed his mother would. And it wouldn't seem to be a momma's boy issue but simply a gender issue.
September 24, 2014
Most guys just go to nearest department store and grab housewares they need. My guy just got blinds, gray and red bed in bag and some kind of valance that went with it. Took all of a half hour to complete the whole thing. But the TV, that was a long drawn out issue... Fine with me. I liked his man/pad, now we are getting a bigger place and will have plenty of room for our own separate shit. I never thought of decorating his own place for him.???? He never asked, and I would not presume. First world issues, lol. But that moo is a still a controlling bitch.
September 24, 2014
blondie
Most guys just go to nearest department store and grab housewares they need. My guy just got blinds, gray and red bed in bag and some kind of valance that went with it. Took all of a half hour to complete the whole thing.

Reminds me that come August, you begin seeing the color coordinated gear, aimed at college students, on display at stores. You can grab all the dorm decor you need without having to worry about the feng shui. And then there are places like Rooms to Go..

blondie
But that moo is a still a controlling bitch.

Certainly self-absorbed if she thinks having that kind of write-up about her wouldn't elicit scorn or heckles.
I recall like a yr ago, a report came out that women ages like 45-75 even tho married, considered their daughters their best friend and main confidante and the most calls they made were to their daughters etc. Women ages 25-45 it was their spouse they named as main confidante.

They went on to speculate that the adult daughters replaced the husbands, or any other friends, as main confidante, etc. How pathetic to push aside your spouse to a 2ndary position in your life is all I could think of. So these moos just keep closing their circle of friends once the sprogging starts... How sad not to have 'outsiders' in your life your own age to share stuff w/ and only be friends w/ people in the fam. So self-limiting.shrug
Then the man does without curtains! If it was their place, fine but if it was his he needs to grow up and decorate his own place. There is this thing called the internet that explains it all. I still say the GF should run.
Maybe his mom has bad taste and he doesn't want to tell her. Maybe she's into weird patterns or frilly stuff. Maybe he suffered a lifetime of badly decorated boysy themed rooms and wants to have his own style. Could be as simple as that.
September 26, 2014
freedomchick
Maybe his mom has bad taste and he doesn't want to tell her. Maybe she's into weird patterns or frilly stuff. Maybe he suffered a lifetime of badly decorated boysy themed rooms and wants to have his own style. Could be as simple as that.

My mother likes to decorate everything in white. I don't know why this is, but when I had my condo, she actually wanted to change out the blinds with white blinds. The condo had brown blinds and they were in good shape and worked just fine, so why change them out? That's what I told her and she seemed a little put off by it, but I think she got over it.

My wife painted a few of the walls in other colors in our house and I discovered I actually like walls that aren't white. It really brightened up the room. My mother would probably have a fit if she saw it, but she doesn't visit our house,which is OK with me.
Hell, the sole reason I was always so anxious to grow up and have my own place was so I could decorate it on my own. Don't even get me started on bed-in-a-bags or dining patterns - I love that shit! :jump Seriously, I almost broke up with my husband (then bf ) when I found out he thought he should some input into how our first apt should have been decorated openmouthed shock . We've worked out our differences (I get free range as long as I don't go uber modern on him). I can only imagine the shit-fit that would have occurred if his mother thought she had some kind of say into how our apt should look... :cen
My former mother in law was Japanese and was really into little cutesy stuff and cat stuff and wanted to make everything look fussy, which is not my style at all. When she would come to visit ( which wasn't too often as she lived in Europe) she would move stuff around. I came home one day to find that she had reorganized my fridge-- I mean moved the shelves around to different heights and moved things to where she thought they should be. Once she even swapped out a really nice nature photo that I took and my husband had framed for me with a photo of HER. Some people are just nuts.
September 30, 2014
freedomchick
My former mother in law was Japanese and was really into little cutesy stuff and cat stuff and wanted to make everything look fussy, which is not my style at all. When she would come to visit ( which wasn't too often as she lived in Europe) she would move stuff around. I came home one day to find that she had reorganized my fridge-- I mean moved the shelves around to different heights and moved things to where she thought they should be. Once she even swapped out a really nice nature photo that I took and my husband had framed for me with a photo of HER. Some people are just nuts.

OMG doh face

DEATH! if anyone did that to my home :hardcore

I have a hard time fathoming that anyone in their right mind would think that permissible. Trying to put their stamp on a new, unfurnished, home? Bad, but understandable from a sense that they (wrongly) still feel that their kid needs their input. But to make changes to an established, clearly inhabited home? Fucking nutz.

Was she ever called out on her behavior? I'd be interested to know how she justified those actions.
cf uter
They went on to speculate that the adult daughters replaced the husbands, or any other friends, as main confidante, etc. How pathetic to push aside your spouse to a 2ndary position in your life is all I could think of. So these moos just keep closing their circle of friends once the sprogging starts... How sad not to have 'outsiders' in your life your own age to share stuff w/ and only be friends w/ people in the fam. So self-limiting.???

My mom was just like that. She only married my dad to get away from her own parents and admitted never liking him. My father is a nightmarish person, so of course I became the 'main confidante'. Sometimes it was okay, but there are things you can't discuss with your mother. I find this crazy and absurd, how can your child be your best friend? Wtf?:goggle

My mom forever wanted to impose her taste onto me in regards to everything, so this is quite a common occurrence for moos it seems. This dude has to tell his moo to fuck off and leave him alone.
October 01, 2014
rockchick
cf uter
They went on to speculate that the adult daughters replaced the husbands, or any other friends, as main confidante, etc. How pathetic to push aside your spouse to a 2ndary position in your life is all I could think of. So these moos just keep closing their circle of friends once the sprogging starts... How sad not to have 'outsiders' in your life your own age to share stuff w/ and only be friends w/ people in the fam. So self-limiting.???

My mom was just like that. She only married my dad to get away from her own parents and admitted never liking him. My father is a nightmarish person, so of course I became the 'main confidante'. Sometimes it was okay, but there are things you can't discuss with your mother. I find this crazy and absurd, how can your child be your best friend? Wtf?:goggle

My mom forever wanted to impose her taste onto me in regards to everything, so this is quite a common occurrence for moos it seems. This dude has to tell his moo to fuck off and leave him alone.
Bad boundaries! Ick! My moo was the engulfing type too. When I was young, I was upset that I was never allowed to visit friends unless they happened to live across the street. I asked my moo, "But why don't you have any friends? I can't just be here ALL the time, I need friends in my life!"
And she replied, "Oh, you and daddy and (sister) are enough for me."
I didn't even know why it felt so horrible when she said that, but now I know I didn't want to be put in that position as her emotional support. Especially because she was NO support for me whatsoever. I was a source of humor for her, my dad, and the rest of the adults to ridicule and complain about.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login