Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

University doctors: forget about birth control, have baybees

Posted by blackpearl 
University doctors: forget about birth control, have baybees
September 24, 2014
I saw this article posted in a Finnish CF group. It is in Finnish but i will post the summary here as it is not long. There are 4 stories from four young female students that had to deal with the medical services from 3 different universities (plus normal public healthcare). Two of them were denied the required contraception, one was told to have a kid as an alternative and one was denied treatment for her skin allergies.

1. 24 year old goes to healthcenter to require an IUD after having an abortion. She is denied the IUD because she is too young and she will change her mind soon. She tries to go at the university medical services and gets the same response. She finally gets Nuvaring.

2. 21 year old wants to change her minipills and the doctor asks her if she considered having a baby because it would be an option instead of birth control. The student is shocked because her studies are not finished, she doesn't have a job and she just started dating.

3. 20 year old suffers from bad skin allergies and wants to get a treatment that is long term and quite expensive. Doctor refuses to start the treatment because she will surely change her mind in a while and it cannot be done if one is pregnant or trying to get pregnant. (I searched the dictionary and it is some desensitization treatment).

4. 23 year old was proposed once IUD and now she goes to ask for it again. The doctor refuses saying that she will soon have kids and will have to take the IUD out. The student tries to argue that the kids are not in her plans because she's too young but the doctor says that she might feel like this now but she will surely change her mind in a short time. She gets a BC pill prescription.
Re: University doctors: forget about birth control, have baybees
September 24, 2014
Doctors, FUCK YOU. We are people! I swear to god if I had a willingness to get arrested I would chop off all your dicks! You want to remove our reproductive control? We should remove yours! Why the fuck would you take the job to give women birth control if you aren't going to fucking do it? You are all fucking useless and I (as well as others) would greatly love it if you kindly fucked off. So, in reiteration, FUCK YOU VERY MUCH!

This is my biggest pet peeve.
September 24, 2014
I was outraged and disappointed at the same time when i read this. I study at one of the universities mentioned and i was hoping that they would be more open minded so i can talk about sterilization. If they refuse IUDs, i have no chance. sad smiley

Otherwise i had no problems with them regarding contraception but maybe because i take the pill. I was never asked about kids plans, not ever suggested anything of the kind. But then again, i never said to them anything about being CF. It might also depend on the doctor.

Just to add: the doctors' attitudes seem so patronizing, like, you are still young and stupid and you don't know what you want.
It baffles my mind how they are all denying birth control treatment to these young women and instead pushing them to breed. Why would you do that??

What also baffled me at university are the professors, especially the ones in the developmental genetics department. Like, two of them became duhs in close succession, and in the lounge room, there were cards put up for them, conglaturating them, and all I could wonder about was this - HOW on earth could they have the nerve to reproduce? If I were in their shoes, knowing how much can go wrong in the development of a fetus, why would you risk to sprog? Especially someone who knows of developmental genetics and most the details should know of all the risks and that they are rolling a dice.
And their wives are such stepford wives, holy hell!
September 24, 2014
Oh.My.Dog. Wtf is wrong with these people? And that's supposed to be a civilized country? Don't make me laugh! How irresponsible of these doctors, but then, just as catharsist pointed out, doctors are useless. That's why I haven't seen one since I don't know when.

Blackpearl, if you are really serious about getting your tubes tied, Marie Stopes in the UK is the answer. They won't ask you questions, they'll do it, and it's not even that expensive. I've been looking at it and think I'll get it done once I return to the UK.
September 24, 2014
I looked the UK version but it's too expensive for my modest pocket. Here i would have to pay just 90€ to get sterilized in the public healthcare system. Private is around 2000€. So that's why i was hoping that once i get to the legal age of sterilization (here is 30) i would ask. Otherwise i take pills to keep my horrible periods under control but still i'm not planning to swallow hormones until i reach menopause. So a permanent solution would be welcome.

I see though that they have a problem with IUD. I never considered of getting one because i didn't want to but it seems stupid to deny it to the patient. Of course, if you, as a doctor reach the conclusion that it's not suitable due to medical reasons then it's ok to refuse and explain why. But "you will surely change your mind" it's not a medical reason to deny IUD.
September 24, 2014
blackpearl
I looked the UK version but it's too expensive for my modest pocket. Here i would have to pay just 90€ to get sterilized in the public healthcare system. Private is around 2000€. So that's why i was hoping that once i get to the legal age of sterilization (here is 30) i would ask. Otherwise i take pills to keep my horrible periods under control but still i'm not planning to swallow hormones until i reach menopause. So a permanent solution would be welcome.

I see though that they have a problem with IUD. I never considered of getting one because i didn't want to but it seems stupid to deny it to the patient. Of course, if you, as a doctor reach the conclusion that it's not suitable due to medical reasons then it's ok to refuse and explain why. But "you will surely change your mind" it's not a medical reason to deny IUD.

Oh my, that is really a huge difference in price, 90 euros is a bargain!

The only thing I've heard about IUDs is that they usually are painful to insert if you haven't birfed so maybe that is part of the reason? shrug But in any case it's ridiculous, as you said, if there is a specific medical reason as to why an IUD would be unsuitable, fine, but not because some stupid doctor thinks you'll change your mind. How utterly bizarre!:headbrick
September 24, 2014
I tried to have an IUD inserted and it was very painful. After a couple of attempts, it was abandoned by my doctor. Next, it was on to trying BC pills which royally screwed with my hormones. Several types later, and my doctor told me they were a no-go. sad smiley

I decided that rubbers, or a man who had had the V, were my best options. If not, I could always go the abstinence route. I've thought about sterilization, but since I'm nearly sterile already, I don't want to put myself through a relatively unnecessary surgical procedure.

Over the last several years of my life, I've lucked out by finding men who didn't want kyds. One BF actually went and got his vasectomy done while we were dating! We aren't together anymore, but we're still good friends.

Now, I'm 46 and close to menopause, and my hubby shoots blanks. I feel very fortunate.

I am furious that logical thinking women are screwed in today's society, because these doctors think they know what's best for their patients. Even if it means unwanted loaves. Only irrational, illogical breeders seem to get what they want because ZOMG baybeezzz! It really makes me sad for the world.
September 24, 2014
That is outrageous! Getting pregnant is an alternative to b.c.? Sure, just like a stroke is an alternative to high blood pressure pills. hitting over the head with a hammer

I'm stunned that someone who has had an IUD can't get it replaced. Even IF a person did want something removed in 4 or 5 years WTF business is that of the doctor as long as the patient was properly informed?

And the skin treatment one has already been handled by many docs. I have a sister of friend who is on something for her allergies that can really fuck up a sprog. Because of this she is required to use two types of b.c. in order to get the treatment. Personally I found this to be very invasive but I've heard that it is common (given how "we" like to sue here in the U.S. I guess I can see why but I don't have to like it). If so many ohter docs to this there is no reason that one more can't do the same
September 24, 2014
What the hell is wrong with Finland?!? I thought it was a modern, European country, not some breederific place like Haiti or Africa.

When I see things like this, I'm glad that I'm past forced birthing age. I'm thrilled that I'm sterilized. We had choices years ago, and abortion and birth control wasn't as controversial as it is today. What's going to happen in 20 years from now to women and their reproductive rights? sad smiley
September 24, 2014
Maybe these doctors are just cynical after seeing how many women get these treatments, then get baby rabies and want it removed. So rather than run the risk of a lawsuit from some baby nut's failed contraceptive removal, they just think, "Like hell you're not, just have the damn baby."
September 24, 2014
I am pretty much abstinent. Reason being: sex isn't worth it at this point. I quit the sterilization fight for now and I know how to cook an effective, safe at home abortion. Shit, I have a TEXTBOOK on how to do it! A woman's book of choices if anyone is interested. And I'll disclose myself now.

WARNING: TMI AHEAD!

I think toys are better than the real thing. It may be not socially acceptable to say in mixed company, but "socially acceptable" is pretty nearly always pro-breeding. So.. Go ahead and make fun of me because then you'll be a pro-breeder butthole! Lol!
September 24, 2014
M6
I decided that rubbers, or a man who had had the V, were my best options. If not, I could always go the abstinence route. I've thought about sterilization, but since I'm nearly sterile already, I don't want to put myself through a relatively unnecessary surgical procedure.

This is exactly how I look at it too. I'm nearly 40 and guess that I'm coming up on Menopause. I am presently abstinent - which works quite well, Ha. This is because I am work focused and do not meet any 'eligible men'. I like men in the 45 - 55 age range - most are married or if they are divorced they have kids. So it's slim pickins. I must be focused on work, as well as new work I wish to get into, plus trying to improve my health (from past illness).

This is 'getting there' but I also am thinking that this hard coar past thing (which nearly killed me) - has so screwed up my system that I might be going into MPause. I'm not yet 40 but I'm already missing periods, it's gone all wonky.

So, I figure - I can wait it out til the Menopause. It seems to be coming soon for me. If I were 25 BC would be a diff issue. But at the point I am at - I don't worry to much. Any guy I might meet is going to have to wrap it. And if it becomes serious - well, we will see.

I don't feel any need to 'get my tubes tied' because I feel like I am *thisclose* to Menopause.

You do have to evaluate your own particular situation. For me - I am GLAD to be "aging"! COME ON MENOPAUSE!!!

Oh, side note - I have dark hair, dark brown, almost black - I am 'going grey' already. And I am SO HAPPY! that these hairs are the shiny, silvery grey! I think they look nice and are a nice color! I like it!

And face and bod still look 25! Because - not wrecked from pignancy and loaf shittin! thumbs upwink

I haven't had a period in two months. I'm kind of young for this, but from what I have read - maybe not. And, I do feel that the serious illness did maybe 'accelerate' me too. Really wore me down. Nearly killed me. The upside? I might get Menopause sooner! YAY!!!

Checking for typos here, just talking about self - but it occurs to me that Docs should take such issues into account too. If you have health issues - the Docs SHOULD listen and take those into account. But it seems to me that women looking for BC - or sterilization - Docs will often discount such things and encourage pregnancy anyway!

LEAN ON THEM THEN! Make it CLEAR! Medical Doctors are not the "gods" they are made out to be. They are just "Mechanics of the body". It's not like they're high level Biologists or researchers or something! And plenty of them are idiotic hacks too! Don't make them out to be gods - just about ANYBODY with a halfway decent Uni GPA can get into medical school - I am not impressed. And they FUCK UP all they time too! If they didn't - there would be no such thing as medical malpractice insurance or all the Lawyers that make big bucks suing them.
September 24, 2014
Damn. My gyn would give a 15 year old an IUD. She gives them out like candy if you do not want to get pregnant. That shit be crazy. She was also late to delivering a baby while she waited for my cervical block to take effect because in her words, "it has been in there nine months and it can wait ten minutes and you have irregular as hell periods".
September 25, 2014
mistress rotwang
Damn. My gyn would give a 15 year old an IUD. She gives them out like candy if you do not want to get pregnant. That shit be crazy. She was also late to delivering a baby while she waited for my cervical block to take effect because in her words, "it has been in there nine months and it can wait ten minutes and you have irregular as hell periods".

Best.. Doctor.. Ever..
So these girls are "too young" for birth control? But not too young to give birth & raise a child, which is basically a life sentence of stress and hardship? Pffft.

I've heard of refusing permanent sterilization procedures, but this takes the cake. An IUD is nowhere near permanent. Sounds like some straight up "sex should come with consequences" bullshit. Fuckwits like these have no place in the medical field, which is supposed to revolve around science--not religion or subjective moral beliefs.
September 25, 2014
blackpearl
2. 21 year old wants to change her minipills and the doctor asks her if she considered having a baby because it would be an option instead of birth control. The student is shocked because her studies are not finished, she doesn't have a job and she just started dating.

:kill Speechless.

Well she's just getting a little long in the tooth at a ripe old twenty one, better get a-datin and a-fuckin and a-breedin. girl.

I wonder if it really pisses off Ogs when a woman doesn't start dating in her teens so some guys miss out on teen poon. I remember confiding in this co-worker I saw as like an older brother/mentor, about being hit on all the time, and he told me to "just give", or some shit. God they hate a girl who isn't a teen nympho, then a young breeder. You do as many guys as you can until early twenties, then start popping out brats. Way to go.
September 25, 2014
Women will never have equality in this world until we are treated as adults instead of children.
September 26, 2014
Maybe these doctors really are just sick of women asking for long-term (but temporary) birth control, only to meet the Man of Her DreamsTM the following semester and want the IUD yanked out. But still, it's retarded to just pat female students on the hand and tell them they're too young and stupid for more than pills and condoms.

Just my two cents, but I think it's because the general belief is that college students are not into commitment, period. They'll switch majors, drop out because bawwww class starts at 9am and that's too early, change their life dream every other week, change their wardrobe a few times, find religion/veganism/etc., experiment sexually, and fuck everyone they possibly can. Obviously this is a very broad generalization, but the bottom line is still the same: college "kids" can't make commitments. A lot of people aren't the same after graduation as they are as freshmen, so if they can't commit to their class schedule or to one partner, how will they commit to sterilization or an IUD?

So rather than just shut the fuck up and do their goddamn jobs (and let the patients deal with their feelings like adults), it's just easier for doctors to assume that all women are flaky, immature little girls who don't know what they want. Unless what they want is a loaf, in which case, they're fine with that because it means more business for them. Funny how women with the forethought to seek long-term protection are stupid, but a 13-year-old who can't form a coherent sentence or do basic subtraction in her head is a rational, mature human being if she breeds.

I don't know if any guys approach their university physicians about vasectomies, but I'm sure they still get far less flack about sterility than the women if they do.
September 26, 2014
crazy old crone
Women will never have equality in this world until we are treated as adults instead of children.

This. 100,000,000%.

Despite being refused sterilisation until I'm 35 by my GP (two in fact, one male, one female - I tried both) they still keep pushing long term contraception on me. I tried IUD and was in dreadful pain for 6 months. I tried Depo and went psycho. I have a particular brand of pill that suits me and I'm sticking with it. Because I am a grown ass woman, not a child, and I know my own mind and my own body. It's a more expensive brand of pill (yasmin) but too bad. I pointed out to my GP last time she complained about prescribing it that agreeing to sterilisation would be cheaper long term fpfor the NHS. She shut up.

I definitely won't be picking Finland to do my PhD though that's for sure. Quite a contrast to here where they are really zealous about pushing long term contraception in universities, colleges and even schools in.some places. They want teen pregnancy rates low and university students to complete, because otherwise they become welfare moos. They know full well that most baybee daddies at that age will skip off into the sunset and leave the state picking up the tab.
September 26, 2014
Finland is indeed a modern European country but like many modern European countries it has its degree of breederisms. I don't think there is one country in this world without asshole medical staff when it comes to breeding.

I forgot to mention that the women in the article had those nasty experiences few years ago; one mentions 5-6 years ago. So those are the ages when it actually happened. They might be a bit under 30 now but still that was not long ago. In the Finnish CF group where this was posted, one woman said that one of the universities has the same breederific doctor who pushes baybees on young women. Some said that they also had problems with getting an IUD because "they are too young".

I was also thinking that the doctors might refuse IUD because it would be too costly for the university medical services since they are funded from taxpayers money. But then there are the doctors' attitudes "you are too young to know what you want". Like Cambion said, it might also be the fact that doctors see too many cases of undecided students. But what excuse can you find in the case where the woman asked for a minipill refill and the doctor proposed baybees instead? Or refusing treatment?

I'm really glad that this student newspaper brought this issue up. How many students might have received the same treatment and said nothing?

Now it made me really curious and i think i will test the waters myself when i go next time for a check-up. I will ask for a IUD to see what they say (not that i intend to have one).
October 24, 2014
Update: I was actually curious about this insistence towards students to have kids and i found more articles (unfortunately in Finnish) about the subject. There is a certain doctor with a PhD in medicine Aira Virtala who encourages students to have kids and even postpone the studies because fertility declines in women after 30 (she also works for students medical services, did her Phd in family planning among university students and published a relationship guide available at all students medical services in the country - guide which guess what? recommends getting pregnant while doing your studies).

The fertility thing might be true but she is very insistent and most of the articles where is is interviewed expose a very propagandistic attitude and criticism of the kind: students just want to live a free life and not take any responsibilities, only a kid makes you mature. She also says that you don't have too think too much about parenthood, just do it because a kid will motivate you to study more and financial situation...well don't worry about it, everything will sort out. I looked a bit at her background and she started crapping out kids at 24 when she was in med school, she has three kids and already several grandkids.

More detail here if you want to read more.

I see she worked with pro-life organizations, try to talk students out of birth control and pressured students around 30 years old to get pregnant. Scary bitch.
October 24, 2014
blackpearl
Update: I was actually curious about this insistence towards students to have kids and i found more articles (unfortunately in Finnish) about the subject. There is a certain doctor with a PhD in medicine Aira Virtala who encourages students to have kids and even postpone the studies because fertility declines in women after 30 (she also works for students medical services, did her Phd in family planning among university students and published a relationship guide available at all students medical services in the country - guide which guess what? recommends getting pregnant while doing your studies).

The fertility thing might be true but she is very insistent and most of the articles where is is interviewed expose a very propagandistic attitude and criticism of the kind: students just want to live a free life and not take any responsibilities, only a kid makes you mature. She also says that you don't have too think too much about parenthood, just do it because a kid will motivate you to study more and financial situation...well don't worry about it, everything will sort out. I looked a bit at her background and she started crapping out kids at 24 when she was in med school, she has three kids and already several grandkids.

I see she worked with pro-life organizations, try to talk students out of birth control and pressured students around 30 years old to get pregnant. Scary bitch.

Shoot me now! Oh my dog, this is completely insane! Afaik in pretty much every country on earth students are encouraged to learn, pass their exams and also have fun and socialize. Like, you go to college, then you get a job, and then once you find financial stability bla bla you can get married and have kyds, should you wish to do so.

But having kyds while studying? How the hell would that even work? I don't know whether to laugh or cry when imagining a lecture full of beefing moos and screeching loaves...Seriously, are people beginning to lose their minds for good now?
October 24, 2014
rockchick
blackpearl

Shoot me now! Oh my dog, this is completely insane! Afaik in pretty much every country on earth students are encouraged to learn, pass their exams and also have fun and socialize. Like, you go to college, then you get a job, and then once you find financial stability bla bla you can get married and have kyds, should you wish to do so.

But having kyds while studying? How the hell would that even work? I don't know whether to laugh or cry when imagining a lecture full of beefing moos and screeching loaves...Seriously, are people beginning to lose their minds for good now?

I think they are losing their minds. There was a pregnant college student in one of the classes that I lurk in (I just go in and sit and wait for my class to start) and lo and behold, I saw her a little while later sadly meeting her mommy after her mommy was done screaming in my face about abortion being wrong. I felt so bad for her. I don't know where all the smart people went, but I don't know why anyone would even bother finishing school after calving. It's not like they routinely go on to be world leaders after changing a few diapers.
October 25, 2014
I was denied sterilization by doctors while living in the southern United States from the years 1980-2007 or so until I finally gave up around age 45. In the beginning of my pursuit to become sterilized my doctor told me he wouldn't do it unless I had two kids OR reached aged 35. I inquired about the procedure to nearly a dozen other doctors between ages 20-35 and was given the same response. When I reached age 35 and asked the same doctor again he said, "So many women are having kids in their 40's now, so I still won't do it because you could STILL change your mind". I was also asked how my husband felt about it on more than one occasion. When I was 42, had suffered a debilitating brain aneurysm the year prior, was taking several medications such as for high blood pressure and antiseizure drugs, among many others, I was told he STILL wouldn't perform a tubal ligation on me because, IF I became pregnant, I could always be monitored and taken off any drugs that might harm the baking loaf, NEVER MIND MY health or wishes.:headbrick

At that point I got rather rude and tried to persuade him and his response was, "Look Kim, I have devoted my life to helping women make babies, so I will NOT help you in preventing them", although he hadn't been opposed to other forms of birth control prescriptions, just no permanent ones and none that worked for me!. After much research into this spanning 25 years, I learned that there are(or were none as of 2007) NO Southern doctors who would outright perform a tubal ligation UNLESS it was at or around the same time a patient had delivered a loaf, AND it was the second, and in some cases they required a third loaf shitting episode. The reason is they don't want to be associated with abortion or sterilization for religious and political reasons because it would hurt their practice and negatively affect their reputations and income.:smn

I might add that due to medical and health reasons I could not take birth control pills(I tried 5 separate brands and dosages over the years) and was not a candidate for an IUD or any hormonal related birth control like patches or shots. I had to rely on rubbers and cootie suppositories, neither of which I liked to use for a variety of reasons. Up until I entered menopause a year or so ago I was plagued with UTI's and other birth control related infections caused by those fucking chemicals in anti-spermicidal methods for NEARLY THIRTY YEARS. Up until recently I had forgotten what it was like to not be raw, irritated, infected, and basically spending a small fortune on OTC creams and whatnot to counter act that bullshit. Don't anyone pipe up with, "Your husband(s)should have had a vasectomy" horse shit because this is about ME and MY body and the prejudice that exists towards childfree women in the south by the medical profession. Even if one or all 5 of my husbands had opted for a vasectomy it would not negate the fact that 1)A man has reproductive rights not afforded to women and 2)I would STILL have remained fertile, a state I didn't wish to be.:sbx

------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- -------
If YOU are the "exception" to what I am saying, then why does my commentary bother you so much?
I don't hate your kids, I HATE YOU!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login