Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Dilemma needs fixin'

Posted by catharsist 
Dilemma needs fixin'
September 25, 2014
I have realized that since I recently got a new bank account, my parents can't tell what I'm spending..

I have also realized that I have enough money to afford the Essure procedure out of pocket (not sure if confirmation is included in that)..

I also have a doctor who was 100% willing to do it for me when I was 21..

But my issue here is that I have no insurance and I would HAVE to pay OOP for all the fees and everything. I'm 23 now and I have very minimal student debt ($7500) that can be paid off easy with my return checks from my financial aid by next semester. I'll also be graduating next semester. So I was wondering, as much as I would kill my family with a broken lawn chair to have my baby-oven defuncted, is it responsible at this time in my life to spend this much money on this procedure? I want to pay this particular doctor because she has a LOT of years of experience (she has even trained others in administering the procedure and she is VERY respectful of my choice). I trust you guys the most so I figured I would ask you. The doctor has told me it would be $2200 for the procedure.

Has anyone here gotten Essure before? If so, how did it work out?

Can my family access my medical records without my knowing and find out that I got the procedure done?

Would it be absolutely horrid if I set up a GoFundMe for something like this? If even to let off some of the financial strain and still cover part of the cost myself and not riding on others?
Anonymous User
Re: Dilemma needs fixin'
September 25, 2014
You parents cant have access to your records and why would they order them?

This is not covered under insurance, right? If it is, are you still covered by your parents insurance?
September 25, 2014
cf uter
You parents cant have access to your records and why would they order them?

This is not covered under insurance, right? If it is, are you still covered by your parents insurance?

My insurance is generic as all hell (teamcare) and through my dad's work. I don't want to use the insurance because I'm afraid that he might be notified that I used it and then all hell will descend on my face. My mother used to be supportive but now she isn't and she PRIES like it's her job. And quite frankly, the plan that I have is "grandfathered" (read: total bullshit!) so it may not cover it at all anyway.
September 25, 2014
Your parents have no access to your medical records. Even if you were a minor, your parents don't have to give consent on things that are personal in nature (like HIV or pregnancy tests). Unless you sign a preautherization stating your parents' specific names that says that the medical facility can discuss medical information with them, they are as blocked out as any schmo off the street. The office can't even tell them if you're a patient there or not, and there are heavy federal laws in place that ensure that (look up HIPAA)
September 25, 2014
stillwaters
Your parents have no access to your medical records. Even if you were a minor, your parents don't have to give consent on things that are personal in nature (like HIV or pregnancy tests). Unless you sign a preautherization stating your parents' specific names that says that the medical facility can discuss medical information with them, they are as blocked out as any schmo off the street. The office can't even tell them if you're a patient there or not, and there are heavy federal laws in place that ensure that (look up HIPAA)

How the hell did HIPAA slip my mind!? Thank you so much, that's one load off my shoulders..
September 25, 2014
Go to the closest Planned Parenthood. Tell them you have no insurance. If you still can't afford it with their sliding scale (bring ID and proof of income) ask them about non-profits that help. Ask about this by phone if you live far away. Get it done girl. No worries later on!
September 25, 2014
evilchildlessbitch
Go to the closest Planned Parenthood. Tell them you have no insurance. If you still can't afford it with their sliding scale (bring ID and proof of income) ask them about non-profits that help. Ask about this by phone if you live far away. Get it done girl. No worries later on!

I actually called them earlier today and I'm on their voicemail reception list thingy. I asked for more information on the procedure but the one closest to me (Bedford heights) is not offering it right now. Not only that but I would rather do it with my doctor. I would consider Essure at PP if the doctor was of comparable experience though, hence my not simply writing them off.
September 26, 2014
I got Essure. It worked out in that I'm sterilized, but I did have some complications although I'd like to stress that I went to an experienced person and I was the first patient to have these issues, which were not related to misplacement. It's just that even when there's a low risk of complications, someone is going to get them. Several years down the line, I'm glad I'm sterilized and I wouldn't want to discourage anyone from Essure based on my experience.

I think it's an investment in your peace of mind and your future. If everything goes downhill, and women's reproductive freedoms are further curtailed, as seems to be happening in many places, you'll be safe.

But do look at other options aside from paying out of pocket. You could always call the insurance company and discuss with them about access to your records (without mentioning specifics). Just ask about how it works, between being on someone's insurance and HIPAA. They probably have a brochure or some part of their website on this question which might set your mind at ease.
Anonymous User
September 26, 2014
catharsist
stillwaters

How the hell did HIPAA slip my mind!? Thank you so much, that's one load off my shoulders..

Yeah, but....

I was thinking if youre still on their insurance, the "insurance form" that shows what is covered and not covered would go to THEIR address, not yours. It will have words on it like "blood test" this and that procedure or "surgery" on it and a diagnosis code or procedure code that they can easily look up in this day and age. It will have the doctors name etc on it, so it could raise questions......
September 26, 2014
I think it is responsible to get it done now. It seems like you are managing your budget quite well, and if you have the money, I would go ahead and do it. That way you won't have to take hormonal pills, which I despise, and can go on to lead a healthy and happy (sex) life worry free.
September 26, 2014
I agree with all, it is your choice. I don't know if your parents would find out; however keep in mind, eventually it will come out that you are sterilized.
Of course, you could always play 'I'm infertile'. but then you might have to contend with them offering to pay for IVF.
good luck

two cents ΒΆΒΆ

CERTIFIED HOSEHEAD!!!

people (especially women) do not give ONE DAMN about what they inflict on children and I defy anyone to prove me wrong

Dysfunctional relationships almost always have a child. The more dysfunctional, the more children.

The selfish wants of adults outweigh the needs of the child.

Some mistakes cannot be fixed, but some mistakes can be 'fixed'.

People who say they sleep like a baby usually don't have one. Leo J. Burke

Adoption agencies have strict criteria (usually). Breeders, whose combined IQ's would barely hit triple digits, have none.
September 26, 2014
cf uter
catharsist
stillwaters

Yeah, but....

I was thinking if youre still on their insurance, the "insurance form" that shows what is covered and not covered would go to THEIR address, not yours. It will have words on it like "blood test" this and that procedure or "surgery" on it and a diagnosis code or procedure code that they can easily look up in this day and age. It will have the doctors name etc on it, so it could raise questions......

That's why I am adverse to using the insurance. I can easily pay out of pocket for this so I am not found out. I am willing to pay any amount of money to take advantage of an opportunity that a person of my age rarely has. I need to take advantage of my time now. Also, yurble, did they charge you for the HSG test separately or was that covered in the whole cost of the procedure? I just want to make sure that I can cover all of this in some sort of confidence. My doctor will be doing both the procedure and the confirmation so I'm not sure if that should be factored in.
September 26, 2014
catharsist
That's why I am adverse to using the insurance. I can easily pay out of pocket for this so I am not found out. I am willing to pay any amount of money to take advantage of an opportunity that a person of my age rarely has. I need to take advantage of my time now. Also, yurble, did they charge you for the HSG test separately or was that covered in the whole cost of the procedure? I just want to make sure that I can cover all of this in some sort of confidence. My doctor will be doing both the procedure and the confirmation so I'm not sure if that should be factored in.

I'm not in the US so I'm afraid that information wouldn't be relevant. The whole thing was completely covered by insurance.
September 27, 2014
I'm just an old American lady, what would I know?

But with reproductive rights under assault in the USA, with the liberal SCOTUS members getting old and approaching retirement age, with the very real chance that there will be a Republican president after Obama who could nominate new conservative SCOTUS judges, I'd seriously consider getting Essure done if I was in your position, and could afford it. What if you decide to wait on the procedure, and in the meanwhile conservatives managed to get it outlawed, or severely restricted to moos only? If your doctor will do it willingly, and you can afford it, and this is what you are sure about, then do it. Just don't tell your family. They don't need to know, as it's not their business. One day, when you have a good job, have your own place, are financially settled, you might want to tell them, if they keep getting in-your-face about birthing. Otherwise, it's your body, your decision, your choice, and your business.

I'm sterilized. My doctor offered me a hysterectomy (uterus only) because of fibroids. Insurance paid 100% of the cost. It's the best decision I ever made. It's peace of mind and body.

Good luck! grinning smiley

ETA: You might want to ask your doctor about tests, what will be done, what is covered, and how much. Because you're paying for this yourself, i think it's best to ask your doctor for a list of procedures, tests, etc.. and their respective prices. This way there are no surprises after the fact. And, if you need to save up a bit longer to have this done, you'll know how much you need to save.
September 27, 2014
As a person who used to work in a clinic that served a lot of college students, your parents can't get your medical record but the insurance statement, as in what was coded, will show up. The person who owns the insurance gets this. I say pay cash or get your own health insurance.
September 27, 2014
You need to NOT mention you have any insurance at all because some medical establishments will file it ANYWAY, even though you have told them it isn't covered, and you may be surprised that the insurance MIGHT actually cover some small part of your visit like diagnostic tests such as blood work or an ultrasound. On two separate occasions in my life I have had insurance info sent to my house which indicate CLEARLY what services I had done or was seeking. Even though I told them "this isn't covered by my insurance" and I paid out of pocket, they asked for my insurance card and I provided it and they filed it anyway:

Periodontist-
I had an experimental synthetic bone graft surgery done and paid 2k at the time of the service and told them the insurance didn't cover it. 2 weeks later I got a "denial of service" letter from Blue Cross detailing the type of procedure, the date filed,the charge, and why it was denied.

Women's Health Clinic-
Same type thing. The procedure I had done there was NOT covered by insurance and I paid cash. A couple of weeks later I got an EOB(Explanation of Benefits) in the mail DETAILING each and every service they filed for payment including ultrasound, bloodwork, etc...and a small check in reimbursement for the office visit and blood work and a denial explanation for two other medical tests-procedures done at the same visit and how that wasn't covered.

So, if you don't want them to know anything do NOT mention the insurance, at all. Health insurance companies are required by law to send letters detailing reasons for denial and/or an EOB for services rendered to the subscriber of the insurance and any and all dependents who may use the insurance.

------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- -------
If YOU are the "exception" to what I am saying, then why does my commentary bother you so much?
I don't hate your kids, I HATE YOU!
September 27, 2014
I have nothing helpful to contribute; I just want to wish you luck with whatever you decide and I hope you'll keep us updated! I just turned 21 and would very much like to get sterilized (though based on my limited knowledge I think I'd rather get a tubal ligation than Essure), but my parents wouldn't support it so I'm trying to figure out what my options are.
September 28, 2014
Thank you all so much for everything. Peace, I know exactly what you mean about the anti-choice legislation. That's why I'm trying to get this done ASAP if I can. KK, thank you so much for the advice. My dad's insurance dropped and they gave us this new generic sounding stuff. The good news? My doctor doesn't know that. I'll just not tell them. And rude awakening, I will continue to update this board often in the future and be specific. Don't be afraid to ask questions because it's not like I can't ask your questions as my own and bring you answers. Indeed, you might even think of something I haven't thought of. Thank you guys so much for being so supportive and helpful! Mr. T: I pitty tha foolhankyou:yr
September 29, 2014
So, I just got the worst news of my life.. My doctor (who was ready and willing to do the Essure procedure for me has up and left. I have no idea what this means for me. I scheduled an appointment with another doctor in the same practice. I'm still wrestling with simply canceling the appointment. I feel like this is such a lost cause.
September 29, 2014
Talk to the practice and ask them where she went. If she is in the region, you could stil get to her. If that doesn't work, talk to the other doctors in the group, and ask them for Essure. You could let them know that this previous doctor was ready and willing to do the procedure for you.

If all else fails, tbere is a webpage where you plug in your location, and it gives you names of doctors in your area who will do the procedure for you.
September 29, 2014
Peace
Talk to the practice and ask them where she went. If she is in the region, you could stil get to her. If that doesn't work, talk to the other doctors in the group, and ask them for Essure. You could let them know that this previous doctor was ready and willing to do the procedure for you.

If all else fails, tbere is a webpage where you plug in your location, and it gives you names of doctors in your area who will do the procedure for you.

She went into a different field. I set up an appointment with another person and they called me back saying that neither of the other doctors perform Essure.. I instead decided to take a road not traveled and searched for trans* friendly doctors in the area. Lo and behold there is ONE doctor in my area that can not only perform Essure, but is dedicated to birth control and NOT obstetrics for once. They are also dedicated to expanding non invasive surgical options for women. All around they seem competent so I'll try to set up an appointment.
September 29, 2014
I would pay cash. Not worth the headache of dealing with parents.

Realize that medical institutions have a price they charge insurance and a price they accept when you pay cash up front. I paid up front for my Vas and it was half what they charge insurance. I later applied for reimbursement since it was out of network.
September 29, 2014
I'd say if all other birth control methods are out of the question, go for it. You don't have to tell anyone you had it done and can simply play "infertile" when you fail to get knocked up smiling smiley

Props for being able to afford something like that at 23.
October 02, 2014
I first came here to ask about Essure and I'm still undecided. I live in Edinburgh so could get it done fairly easily- Dr Sue Milne, who helped to develop the procedure, performs it here on the NHS, the waiting list is about twelve weeks plus time for counselling, and my GP told me "You have the right to sterilisation, and I would refer you if that's what you wanted, but..."

The "but" is that Essure has a significantly higher failure rate than the Nexplanon I already have in my arm. Reading more about this I learned that the earlier a sterilisation is performed, the higher the failure rate, simply because the tubes have more time to grow back/open up again before the menopause. Some women who have been sterilised will have their tubes fix themselves but won't know because by the time it happens their fertility will have fallen off the metaphorical cliff anyway.

For me a big part of wanting to be sterilised is not wanting the paranoia that I might be pregnant, but it looks like I may end up even more paranoid than I am on the Nexplanon! I'm 33 now, I won't be able to use Nexplanon forever and I worry about the long-term health risks, so I think I may stay with the Nexplanon until I'm 40 and then get Essure or a tubal.

My partner is also worried about Essure being a big intervention compared to the Nexplanon, and I don't want him to get a vasectomy because we know someone who had devastating complications from one and was left impotent, and while that's rare testicular pain is an alarmingly common complication. I may still get a second opinion as I'm worried about the risks of heart attacks, strokes and DVT from the Nexplanon- having a family history of this means I can't take anything containing oestrogen.
October 02, 2014
I've had my essure for 10 years with no problems whatsoever. (See other posts.) When I had mine done it was still under general anesthesia, but can now be done out-of-office. I had to pay 3k out of pocket for both it and my novasure (which I strongly recommend getting together) but the hospital just sent me to a payment plan company to pay it off with no interest. In the end I was able to get out of paying most of it due to some kind of thing that happened with medical debts (the exact thing eludes me, it was years ago). I think I only ended up paying my co-pays and about 1k in payments.

The worst part was the tests to ensure that it worked. Like I've said before, they're used to moos on the table, so the concept of an untried cervix seems to be completely absurd to the techs and they couldn't figure why the tube wouldn't go in as they rammed it in there to put the contrast fluid in. Aside from that, I have zero complaints about my essure.

As for failure, I do strongly suggest pairing the Essure with Novasure, to give you double the protection. While Novasure is not considered "birth control" it basically leaves nothing for a fertilized egg to attach to, which means even if the Essure failed, you still couldn't get pregnant. Ablations are the best! No more risk of pregnancy and no more periods at the same time. Can't beat that!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login