Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Dilemma needs fixin'

Posted by catharsist 
Re: Dilemma needs fixin'
October 02, 2014
bunny
I've had my essure for 10 years with no problems whatsoever. (See other posts.) When I had mine done it was still under general anesthesia, but can now be done out-of-office. I had to pay 3k out of pocket for both it and my novasure (which I strongly recommend getting together) but the hospital just sent me to a payment plan company to pay it off with no interest. In the end I was able to get out of paying most of it due to some kind of thing that happened with medical debts (the exact thing eludes me, it was years ago). I think I only ended up paying my co-pays and about 1k in payments.

The worst part was the tests to ensure that it worked. Like I've said before, they're used to moos on the table, so the concept of an untried cervix seems to be completely absurd to the techs and they couldn't figure why the tube wouldn't go in as they rammed it in there to put the contrast fluid in. Aside from that, I have zero complaints about my essure.

As for failure, I do strongly suggest pairing the Essure with Novasure, to give you double the protection. While Novasure is not considered "birth control" it basically leaves nothing for a fertilized egg to attach to, which means even if the Essure failed, you still couldn't get pregnant. Ablations are the best! No more risk of pregnancy and no more periods at the same time. Can't beat that!

Damn! I'll bring that up to the doctor. I'm trying a new edge, treating this like an FTM transition thing and not a birth control thing. It may be on the bag for me! That nova sure thing sound AMAZING. I'll put that on my list next!
October 02, 2014
I think most of these post vasectomy horror stories are either a very rare anomaly or made up. Men have had them for generations in my family with no problems. This includes my husband. He had no problems other than expected soreness.
October 03, 2014
evilchildlessbitch
I think most of these post vasectomy horror stories are either a very rare anomaly or made up. Men have had them for generations in my family with no problems. This includes my husband. He had no problems other than expected soreness.

With any medical procedure there will be some people who have problems. So I believe it happens but is rare. (What is true for vasectomies is also true for tubals and Essure; there's no way of getting out of the fact that at least one person in a heterosexual relationship is going to have to take one for the team where contraception is involved.)

I prefer to look at statistics rather than anecdote. We all know our minds are easily swayed by memorable stories (which is why many people are afraid of flying but think nothing of getting in a car) so I think reading stories about a procedure does more harm than good. People need the facts so that they can make informed decisions.

Having the facts means that complications aren't swept under the rug, but they're put into the context of probability.
October 03, 2014
evilchildlessbitch

I was looking at the NHS vasectomy page before writing my post, it suggests long-term pain is a side effect in about 10% of cases. Even if that's a high estimate you're entirely right about horror stories getting more exposure than the successes- tell me about it, it's hard to find good unbiased advice on contraception when the likes of Erin Brockovich and Moosnet love a good horror story much more.

yurble
With any medical procedure there will be some people who have problems. So I believe it happens but is rare. (What is true for vasectomies is also true for tubals and Essure; there's no way of getting out of the fact that at least one person in a heterosexual relationship is going to have to take one for the team where contraception is involved.)

That's the dilemma in a nutshell for me- I'd rather it was me "taking one for the team" because I'm probably more paranoid about getting pregnant, and I would rather go through the risks myself than put my beloved through them. We've still got a lot to think about here.
October 03, 2014
screaming sausage
it's hard to find good unbiased advice on contraception when the likes of Erin Brockovich and Moosnet love a good horror story much more.

I ma wading thru pages and pages of bullshit online at the moment in order to get some unbiased info but I think I'll have to resign myself to the fact that the scaremongering horror stories out there abound.
Just today there was an article in the Fail about cervical egg freezing or something crazy like that and doctors were quoted as saying that the op is very straightforward and no big deal. So how can this not be a big deal, but a tubal is? It just doesn't make sense!

I HATE that Brockovich woman, can't she be permanently silenced or something? Why don't they slap a 'shut your piehole' order on her already? :headbrick
October 04, 2014
Yes, get it done and pay in cash, even ask them if you can get a discount for paying up front, rather than making their staff file paperwork with insurance. If it seems like a lot of money, just divide the amount by the number of years you think you'll live to, and see how miniscule the amount is per year. You don't want to be in your 40's and saying, "This is great! I should have done this 20 years ago!" You have the rest of your life to make money. Go for it.

--------------------
"[GFG's pregnancy is] kind of like at the stables where that one dumb, ugly-ass mare broke out of her corral one day and got herself screwed by the equally fugly colt that was due to be gelded the same afternoon."- Shiny
October 08, 2014
Miss_Hannigan
Yes, get it done and pay in cash, even ask them if you can get a discount for paying up front, rather than making their staff file paperwork with insurance. If it seems like a lot of money, just divide the amount by the number of years you think you'll live to, and see how miniscule the amount is per year. You don't want to be in your 40's and saying, "This is great! I should have done this 20 years ago!" You have the rest of your life to make money. Go for it.

You know.. That's EXACTLY what my roommate told me about how long I'll be living. I'm learning how to frame my argument to appeal to a doctor since I'm so young. Granted being trans* has definitely helped me wedge my foot into the door. Now I just have to sweet talk until I get what I want. Not that hard. Just need to be objective and convincing and not frame it as birth control issue. I'm basically going to treat it like gender identity and thus NOT as negotiable or mind-changeable than breeding. I'll get this damned procedure if it's the LAST thing I do!
October 23, 2014
Well everyone! GREAT NEWS! I officially am waiting for a nurse to call me so I can schedule my Essure procedure! The doctor was VERY accepting and VERY understanding. He pretty much was like "sure!". He understands that trans* people and child free people EXIST and that having babies is NOT the only option if someone wants kids. He has a "If this is a mistake, it's on you" attitude that I just LOVE! Needless to say hes my new GYN! Also, Im approved for novasure afterward so im going to be getting that as well after my HSG comes back positive. Im gonna be officially trans* AND CF people! :GOMIIMOG :jump:partay
October 23, 2014
Congrats!:beer
October 23, 2014
Congrats!!! band playing music Wish we could throw you a no-babies-ever shower. :beer
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login