Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

50 reasons to have a baby :rolleyes2

Posted by yurble 
50 reasons to have a baby :rolleyes2
October 10, 2014
They never seem to get tired of explaining why you should have a baby, do they? The stereotypes get trotted out right from the beginning, with #1: "Throwing up because you're building a baby, not because you had one too many tequilas the night before."

Speaking of #1, for all their much-vaunted claims of selflessness, has anyone ever spotted a reason on the list that isn't about how your life will be better for having a baby? Of course there's no mention of what happens as the baby grows, either, except "Getting to see the goofy kid your baby turns into." I'm waiting for '50 reasons to have a pre-teen' but the closest that it gets is one from the comments who seems to think the author is an idiot and says "You don't just have a cute 'baby' ...you actually create another human." (Not that I agree with the rest of what that person said, but at least that person doesn't agree with reducing people to this kind of a list.)

I think this one really says it all about the author's mindset:

28. Not having to have an intelligent conversation.

"Having to have?" It's a burden, is it? Well, don't you worry your little head about it, because you probably weren't capable of all that much before the baby, either. Sheesh.

The first comment:

And one big reason not to. If you have no children you need not worry about leaving the shattered environment which will surely exist in four or five decades. No qualms about trashing the place, just like a lot of people with children, with even self-awareness not producing guilt about the future.

Well, I actually do worry, because I care about other species and people in an abstract sense, but the point does hold. Or, as another comment put it:

The number 1 reason not to have children is that the world is already over populated.

Then there's even more fail in the comments:

And, the number 1 reason to have a baby...................It is not your choice but that of God.
Re: 50 reasons to have a baby :rolleyes2
October 10, 2014
Oh my, what a stupid article! :hs

The writer is really reaching with her reasons to sluice.

Why is it, that the reasons to NOT have a baybee are always well thought-out, intelligent reasons, and the reasons breeders sluice are always so stupid? It's like they can't think of any really good reasons, so they write these idiotic lists and believe that they are going to convince fence-sitters with this shit.

This list only proves that breeders care about fulfilling some stupid white picket fence fantasy that doesn't really exist IRL. They don't care that they are bringing a human being onto an already overpopulated planet that probably won't even be inhabitable in a few years.
October 10, 2014
yurble

And, the number 1 reason to have a baby...................It is not your choice but that of God.

Oh really? I thought the Bible said that mankind was given free will. Wouldn't that include the choice to breed, or not? free will, everybody smile rolling left righteyes2

stupid
3. Getting to wear a fake diamond ring that's much bigger than your actual ring because your ring doesn't fit.

My stones are big, and they're never fake. Sux to be you.

more stupid
6. Not having your period!!!!! Period.

I don't have my period. It's called a hysterectomy, paid for by insurance smiling smiley

7. An excuse to look disheveled and always tired.

Why would I want to look that unattractive?? shrug

17. Free gifts. And who doesn't love free stuff? Especially itsy bitsy newborn clothing.

So you admit you're a gift hound who just wants others to pay for your life choices.

22. Taking your baby out in public and having everyone hold the door for you and 'ooh' and 'ahh' over how cute your baby is.

I am very capable of holding open my own door, thank you very much.

36. An excuse to buy new shoes or clothes because your feet, hips, boobs (and all of the above) are now bigger.

I don't need an excuse to go shopping. Have you seen the new P.rada shoes I picked up on sale last month? smiling smiley

The rest of it is just so infantile, that I cannot even find some type of a comeback for it. I wasn't brought up to think in such an elementary manner. :nerd How do these women manage to live, and enjoy being so infantile? I cannot comprehend wanting to live like that. :crz
October 10, 2014
"And, the number 1 reason to have a baby...................It is not your choice but that of God."

As an atheist, I always find these dumbass religious reasons both stupid and hilarious.

I surely agree that whenever I see competing lists like these (for versus against having babies), the pro-babies list always includes stupid, worthless stuff while the CF ones always include practical things like more time, more money, more freedom, more peace and quiet. How can anyone think the stupid, worthless stuff can come close to being better than the real-life, practical stuff?????
October 10, 2014
My mom and I are absolute opposites. I'm an ESTP party type who wants to live in the big city, travel the world, and always be surrounded by friends, while she is an INTJ ultra-introverted bookworm homebody type. We have zero real-life similarities. However, we DO have shared interests in books, and will spend hours having very in-depth intelligent conversations about things like favorite book characters, symbolism in TV shows we both like, etc. We have our system of inside jokes and the like based around that. My mom is awesome, and has always respected me for who I am, and never tried to push me to be like her. But I clashed with her a lot and was never "sweet and cuddly" as a baybee/small kid. Whenever I read articles like this, it makes me wonder what these article-writing moos will do if they get a kid who does NOT want to be coddled, and is the opposite of them. What if the ONLY way to connect with their kid is through intelligent conversation? What will they do then?
October 10, 2014
So basically the list can be summarized as thus:

1.) Attention-whoring
2.) Materialism
3.) Abdication of adult responsibilities
4.) Laziness
5.) Avoidance of bettering oneself

And I always find it incredible how people completely forget that babies grow up. All the reasons offered for procreating are focused on a stage that lasts for a year. After that point, the tiny squishy malleable infant becomes a person that can express opinions in a basic manner and starts showing personality that doesn't necessarily mesh with the parents'.

thundergirl85
Whenever I read articles like this, it makes me wonder what these article-writing moos will do if they get a kid who does NOT want to be coddled, and is the opposite of them. What if the ONLY way to connect with their kid is through intelligent conversation? What will they do then?

Another fact that breeders never think about: children are a total crapshoot. I read an article in Psychology Today about personality compatibility between lovers and how it's important to find a person that shows affection in the same way you do. For example, if your way of showing love is through obvious gestures of affection, then you will not be happy with somebody that isn't affectionate and shows love through more subtle means. This can be applied in filial relationships, too. Breeders will be very upset with children that are not affectionate and cuddly. Part of that can be blamed on media showing that babies and young children are supposed to be all cuddles and don't show that they have varied personalities like adults. The reverse is also true: if you're a parent that isn't affectionate, but you have a child that is, that can cause some emotional damage in the child because they'll view their parent as cold and unloving even if that's not necessarily true.

It baffles me that adoption isn't more popular. What better way to find a child that meshes with you?

------------------------------------------------------------
"Why children take so long to grow? They eat and drink like pig and give nothing back. Must find way to accelerate process..."
- Dr. Yi Suchong, Bioshock

"Society does not need more children; but it does need more loved children. Quite literally, we cannot afford unloved children - but we pay heavily for them every day. There should not be the slightest communal concern when a woman elects to destroy the life of her thousandth-of-an-ounce embryo. But all society should rise up in alarm when it hears that a baby that is not wanted is about to be born."
- Garrett Hardin

"I feel like there's a message involved here somehow, but then I couldn't stop laughing at all the plotholes, like the part when North Korea has food."
- Youtube commentor referring to a North Korean cartoon.

"Reality is a bitch when it slowly crawls out of your vagina and shits in your lap."
- Reddit comment

"Bitch wants a baby, so we're gonna fuck now. #bareback"
- Cambion

Oh whatever. Abortion doctors are crimestoppers."
- Miss Hannigan
October 10, 2014
I can list reasons NOT to have a Baybee in three points -

1. KIDS SUCK

2. The Suburban Famblee Lifestyle SUCKS

3. KIDS SUCK
October 11, 2014
I have one point to not want loaves¦

BORING!!!!!!
October 13, 2014
The lists of "why you should have a baby" are always based on emotional thinking that has nothing to do with the reality of raising a child. They base their reasoning how how they think women (and that's who these lists are aimed at) will react to random things like baby toes, tiny little onesies, and itty-bitty hair bows. No mention of the good sides of the older kid/teen years. The sun rises and sets in the baby's diaper as far as they're concerned. This list in particular just has one backhanded reference to the "goofy kid that your baby turns into". That's pretty damn dismissive of 99.5 percent of the years spent parenting.

thundergirl, I think you bring up an excellent point. I am grateful to have parents who saw all three of their kids as individuals and did not push their agenda and expectations on us. We were encouraged to explore the world and find things that really clicked. After growing up a little and talking to older teens and adults, I was a little stunned to find out that most parents don't let their kids be who they are. They expect them to be a certain personality type and interact in a certain way, and just don't know what to do when their kid is different.

Personally if I were a parent (not sure how that would happen...personality-altering head injury, maybe?), I'd be itching to get the baby-to-age-five years over with.Talk about boring, frustrating, and stifling. Once they hit school age, the kid can maybe make some friends, develop some hobbies, and have a conversation. Because unlike the list author, I DO value intelligent conversation...even as a kid I did!
October 13, 2014
Nah, I'm good thanks.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Don't you know how to deal with children?!"
"I don't like animals who act on instinct."
I think you're on to something Akihiko.
October 13, 2014
paragon schnitzophonic
So basically the list can be summarized as thus:

1.) Attention-whoring
2.) Materialism
3.) Abdication of adult responsibilities
4.) Laziness
5.) Avoidance of bettering oneself

And I always find it incredible how people completely forget that babies grow up. All the reasons offered for procreating are focused on a stage that lasts for a year. After that point, the tiny squishy malleable infant becomes a person that can express opinions in a basic manner and starts showing personality that doesn't necessarily mesh with the parents'.

I find number 3) the most disturbing reason for some women having baybees; that they basically want to regress to the Wendy House. They are the ones who don't realise that their baybee/doll will grow up and have wants, needs and a personality of its own.

Those who say to the CF that we are abdicating adult responsibility and are immature need to look at some of these womben who basically give up all adult responsibility, including responsibility to their spouses, friends, family (replace spouse with baybee, cease participating in bi-directional adult relationships, friends and family become Moo's help/enablement system), along with any financial responsibility for themselves and the baybee they have created.

Yes, it is a big responsibility to bring a life into the world. It is your choice, therefore it is your responsibility to deal with the consequences. Women (and some men) who think it's all going to be about playing house, watching cartoons and snuggles forget about the R-word, and that's why, in my opinion, we have parents who want to be their kids' best friend instead of their friggen parents, and teach them how to operate in the world, behave appropriately, and function eventually as independent adults. So many people forget that's the end goal of raising a kid. Even PNBs can do this as well - I'd say my parents are mostly PNB, but they still didn't deal with it well when my ideas and personality diverged from theirs. I am very different to both of them. There are a few similarities, but not that many. Mostly we are quite different.
October 16, 2014
Ugh...talk about a suicide-inducing list, full of sentimental bullshit.

Sorry, not ready for my life to be over.
October 16, 2014
Forget a baby. I'll take a pet plant. I spoil the heck out of my houseplants, and in return, they clean the air for me and give me some hope on my bad days. Sometimes I take a plant on a walk with me through my dorm hallway and I guess I could dress one up with a tiny hat. (Side note: snakes in tiny hats or sweaters is the most adorable thing in the world.) I won't be having an intelligent conversation with a plant, either, but it serves a lot better a purpose than creating an entire nother human being.
Anonymous User
October 16, 2014
As a snake lady I can 100% agree that snakes in tiny hats is the cutest thing ever smiling smiley I have a ball python and I am so gonna put him in a tiny hat someday. Especially since he's a huuuuge derp and really bad at being a snake. Silly adorable beastie!!

This list makes me want to put my head through a wall. I'll pass at all of these things, or rebrand them as "reasons to have a cat" because tiny cat beans amirite?
October 17, 2014
I think 50% of all reasons why babies are born is that people fucked WITHOUT thinking about consequences. Then, after bay-bee arrieves, they justify their actions with articles like this one.

People who REALLY had a desire to parent - they don't need any articles to support their choice. The rest of breeders - they grab anything and run with it.
October 18, 2014
Why do these lists exist? Could it be to make themselves feel better about their unfortunate life decisions? To project an image of happiness to the world so we won't suspect how miserable they are? We all know nobody is going to actually be influenced by a "why you should sprog" list...are they? Are women really that easily influenced? I'd like to think not, but sometimes I don't know.

It seems most CF women think with their heads while moos think with their hearts (aka not at all). For us, it's about practicality and logic, for them it's all about the feeeeeels.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login