Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Breeder at the winery

Posted by gnarler 
Breeder at the winery
October 19, 2014
Yesterday husband and I took the dogs and drove around the mountains to look at the leaves and then settled in at a dog-friendly winery with a pretty view. It was lovely. We were tucked into a nice corner and sitting next to a lovely couple who had brought their enormous 160-pound St. Bernard named Hagrid that attracted quite a bit of attention. Also notable was that the gentleman's parents were visiting with them from the UK, so the incident that follows was particularly embarrassing.

Around the other side of the tasting room was a breeder with a baby. She comes sidling over and sheepishly asks the couple, "can I ask a terrible question?" I expected what was coming was some perhaps insensitively worded question about the dog's size along with a holy moly I've never seen a dog so big! But, no. She said, "I have an 8 month old, and I wondered if I could put her on your dog's back and take a picture?"

I looked over at my husband and my eyes got really big while I heard the husband of the couple answer, "well, he's not really that great with kids..." I actually didn't see any evidence that was true, Hagrid seemed totally gentle and docile, I just got the impression they did not want this to go down. The breeder did not take the hint and countered, "oh, that's ok, we have a pit bull, so she's used to being around big dogs." That's some breeder logic for you! So the couple was just like, "uh, ok, I guess it's ok if it's just for a second."

So the breeder fluttered off oh so pleased with herself and this travesty went down. This beautiful dog as a prop for the baybee. And afterwards, Hagrid came back over and settled back in and the baybee started screeching. I guess it was great for the baybee to be pulled out of the carrier thing and plunked on a dog for a photo op.

I did hear the Brits murmuring about "sure can't take a hint". I was so embarrassed on her behalf and she didn't even have the damned sense to be embarrassed for herself.
Re: Breeder at the winery
October 19, 2014
Gnarler
That's some breeder logic for you!

Really :crz

Gloss over the fact that the dog might not like kids, as long as baby gets along with big dogs, it's OK.

Hagrid is a good name for the dog, but in breeder situations, maybe they should introduce him as Cudjo devil with smile
October 19, 2014
Well, if it's a potential photo-op for baybee...eye rolling smiley How very rude of the breeder - and I love the comment about how the baybee is used to "big dogs" - what if the dog is not used to baybees? Oh who cares, right? Moo needs a photo to share with her other moo friends on Fakebook!

I hate seeing sprogs at wineries. It's really not an appropriate venue for them - there's nothing for them to do but shriek and be a nuisance to paying adults who are just trying to relax and enjoy some nice fermented grapes. But we know that breeders think that the whole world should cater to them, so...
October 19, 2014
As if bringing a loaf to a clearly adult-oriented setting weren't bad enough…angry smiley And you know if the dog got upset Moo would have demanded that it be put down for trying to huuurt her pweshus.

I feel sorry for their pit bull. If they'll do that to a stranger's pet, imagine the humiliation they probably inflict on their own dog on a daily basis.

Side note: Hagrid sounds awesome.
October 19, 2014
Hagrid's owners were way too polite.

That breeder bitch would have been told a fucking earful if it were me.

Serene afternoon or no, I would send that clueless cunt crying for her hubby.

~~~~~~~~~~~
I miss my little feather baby.
October 20, 2014
Had they asked to do that with my dog, and then not taken the hint, I would have rather unceremoniously told them that I am not running a petting zoo here, so fuck off.
October 20, 2014
I know that by virtue of simply OWNING a large animal, you're kinda signing up for some extra attention from passers-by, and figuring out how to handle the misguided ideas about your dog is part and parcel of it. I've noticed that most people don't respond well to hints or subtleties. The parents with the baby were stupid, and Hagrid's owners were trying to be nice, but when nice didn't work they should have switched to, "No, that won't work." and kept the kid away from the dog.

For the life of me I can't understand why wineries allow minors in the first place. As ketchup pointed out, there's nothing for them to do, and that often leads to typical bored-kid dumb behaviors: wandering around, twirling, playing with found items, whining/crying/shrieking, breaking items, climbing, etc.

Winery trips/wine tasting are one of many things that you relegate to the "not for years and years" pile once you have kids. Shipped 'em off to Grandma overnight? THEN you can hit the wineries and have a lovely time of it.
October 20, 2014
The dog owners should not have caved. They were probably caught off guard but eventually anyone who brings their pets out in public is going to have some kind of brat problem, and best be prepared. The moo shouldn't have pushed it, that was manipulative and rude. She began the manipulation by how she asked- oooh, can I ask a "terrible" question? Please. Grow up, what are you, ten?

I just wish everyone would stand up to the entitle-breeders and just say no, then IGnore them. That is NOT impolite, it is doing good for society, and for general etiquette. I'm sure those type of breeders would be pleased with being told to fuck off, then they could play victim; best to calmly and firmly say no without explanation or defense, and then pretend they don't exist. That is in the rule book for dealing with narcissists.
October 23, 2014
I would have said no. Pure and simple. Or say that the dog has a bad back.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login